• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Bladenic

So is there
a timed challenge in every level? I've only done 2 thus far, one in the first mansion in the dog house and now one in B3 in a coffin.

Oh, and B-3 might be my favorite mission thus far. So awesome.

Iacobellis

So is there
a timed challenge in every level? I've only done 2 thus far, one in the first mansion in the dog house and now one in B3 in a coffin.

How do you activate those? I remember
opening the door to the doghouse, but Luigi would just close it after

Olly88

Perhaps embarrassingly I'm stuck on a mission in the first mansion.

When you get the dark light and have to find who's releasing the Spirit Balls. I've gone everywhere and can see anything else that I haven't found yet.

Anyone got any tips to where I should be looking? ;)

Iacobellis

Perhaps embarrassingly I'm stuck on a mission in the first mansion.

When you get the dark light and have to find who's releasing the Spirit Balls. I've gone everywhere and can see anything else that I haven't found yet.

Anyone got any tips to where I should be looking? ;)

You have to get into the bottom floor of the Library, the culprit is hiding in there.

oatmeal

Banned
Midway through mansion 3. I was planning on replaying through the OG Luigis mansion but watched some walkthroughs on YouTube instead.

Dark Moon's style is MUCH more pleasing. It feels like a higher quality game. It's a shame the flash light doesn't work the same, though.

I really miss the personalities for a lot of the ghosts in the first. That whole first sequence in the first LM with the family and the baby boss was rad. There's nothing like that here. I also think the ghost effect is better in the OG.

I really wish that DM was open world. It's got the perfect progression system but it keeps breaking it up with the trips back :(

Still though. Incredible game.

Iacobellis

Midway through mansion 3. I was planning on replaying through the OG Luigis mansion but watched some walkthroughs on YouTube instead.

Dark Moon's style is MUCH more pleasing. It feels like a higher quality game. It's a shame the flash light doesn't work the same, though.

I really miss the personalities for a lot of the ghosts in the first. That whole first sequence in the first LM with the family and the baby boss was rad. There's nothing like that here. I also think the ghost effect is better in the OG.

I really wish that DM was open world. It's got the perfect progression system but it keeps breaking it up with the trips back :(

All the same complaints I have. The game still has some personality to it, but you really felt like you were there with ghosts on your back in the first game.

I picked up the game today and played through the first mansion. Game is incredibly refined but I have to say to agree with your complaints. OG had way more charm, even if it actually was overall a simpler and a bit ingenuous game.
Potential for a WiiU Luigi, fusing the best of both games and with gamepad scanning like in OG with Gameboy Horror would be HUGE but I think it's fairly hard to happen.

edit: I'd even be happy with an Hd OG Luigi on WiiU

Ran into a weird glitch during Download Play where the three of us got segregated into two completely different games...

EDIT: I don't understand how you say the ghosts don't have personality when one
possesses a frigging spider.
And the very first ghost you find in the shower, honestly the whole thing reminds me of a 40's cartoon;

cat-funny-jerry-mouse-naked-Favim.com-142016.jpg

Iacobellis

Ran into a weird glitch during Download Play where the three of us got segregated into two completely different games...

EDIT: I don't understand how you say the ghosts don't have personality when one
possesses a frigging spider.
And the very first ghost you find in the shower, honestly the whole thing reminds me of a 40's cartoon;

Maybe personality is the wrong word. I mean like how in LM1, each boss represented the afterlife of a person and were given a backstory about them.

Maybe personality is the wrong word. I mean like how in LM1, each ghost represented the afterlife of a person, and each boss was given a background about them.

That was sort of cool, but I feel the variety of enemies here more than makes up for it. Co-op weirdly reminds me of Left 4 Dead in a way... different zombie/ghost types. Slappy = Tank, Fat Guy = Boomer... I could go on.

Iacobellis

That was sort of cool, but I feel the variety of enemies here more than makes up for it. Co-op weirdly reminds me of Left 4 Dead in a way... different zombie/ghost types. Slappy = Tank, Fat Guy = Boomer... I could go on.

I never even thought of that with the different ghosts! It does make sense.

Lexxism

Badly need a tip on how to cross the rope without wasting a lot of health? I'm on my D-1 mission and there's a mission that needed to cross again on a rope with wind this time. I'm quite bad on this one that I losses a lot of my health just to cross it. I lost my 100 health on this mission :lol

I've got a decent quality ringtone for dual screams but I'm after an SMS tone for Luigi's "Yelloo" but that laugh would be great as well.

:)

Yeah, I already got one for dualscreen. Thanks for someone who posted it. I'm after for SMS tone this time. I'm perfectly fine either of the two.

CrisKre

Yeah, it is definitely much smoother than what we initially saw. What I really dislike, though, is that NLG made this too much of a handheld game. Mission-based is okay, but the cinematic feel from the first game is entirely gone. Where all the chilling boss cutscenes, what about "do-do, dee-dee, bump, bump" followed by a laugh when Luigi would open a door without a key?
You fail to say that they add a ton of moments of animation and cinematic flair for any they took out.

CrisKre

Some real complaints would be the lack of a Join Game feature and no obvious way to collect the gems in one go or "free mansion" roam. But no atmosphere? I call user error.

This game is pure joy and overflowing with personality and atmosphere at every turn. Don't get "what I wanted" and what's actually presented to you confuse you. You may not like what's's presented to you but that doesn't make it objectively deficient. Just not your taste.

But in my videogame experience this game is rarity of quality.
You are my soul mate.

OryoN

Do you guys play with the 3D on? 3D is great on this game, but the extra AA in 2D really makes me torn.

Yeah, the 3D really brings this game to life. The AA is nice but it only becomes a big deal if you convinced yourself that it is. To me, it's not. I usually play in 3D when I enter an area for the first time, or if I need to to exercise more agility in frantic encounters, because there's no denying that the 3D effect helps you better judge where you are in virtual space. When I'm plugged into ac, I run 3D almost exclusively with this game.

Since you'll have to return to certain areas multiple times when searching for collectibles, you can always revert to 2D once you experience them in 3D already. I often do this, especially when running on battery. You really CAN get 'the best of both worlds that way, so don't beat yourself up about it.

Alright so I finally got around to playing this and punching in the friend codes on the list. My Friend Code is 2637-9874-2211 US East if you need another for multi

daripad

GAF I just got my copy, pm with your friend codes and I'll pm you back with mine and add you on my 3DS, I'll be playing non stop this week before I go back to school

Shahadan

It's hard to even make it to the 5th floor without someone leaving the game T_T

Help me GAf I'm craving for more.

1821 - 9015 - 5382

I added everyone from Europe who were on the list, so please add me :(
Oh right, you must be asleep atm. Fuck.

Adding MURRICA folks as we speak.

I'm playing often and even at weird hours. Even down for some 25 floors !

zroid

Banned
BTW if anyone's added me and I haven't requited, don't take that as my ignoring you -- I'm just not quite ready to play multiplayer yet. I'll get back to you soon hopefully.

TEJ

bought this game today. kinda makes me wish I played the original while I could.

it's full of personality, there's a large amount of interactivity in environments for a handheld title, it feels like ghostbusters + exploration from RE1/zelda starring luigi.

Vamphuntr

Anyone else feel like the final battle
dragged on for too long?

Fina boss spoilers

Yeah.
It was okay after the first cycle ( hitting with the spiked balls + the first chase sequence) but it got really repetitive after that since it would be the same thing but with more obstacles on the field and during the chase.

At least the final bosses were fun unlike the rest. I only enjoyed the bosses of the first and last mansion. Felt the rest was fairly bad.

Haven't touched multi yet but I got this and lego city today and have thoroughly enjoyed both, albeit for different reasons...

This game has more fun and charm about it than any of the recent Nintendo made Mario games. Seriously, Next Level have made me love Luigi again, for the first time since the first LM game. These guys aren't really first party, right? They should be!

I love the Dual Screams ringtone - its already available on Zedge BTW, just made it my phone ringtone - get it here:
http://zedge.net/r1601361?src=a

Top Bottom