• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

GeekyDad

But Luigi communicated with a Game Boy Color before!

Nah, I'm just saying, we can't even PM on 3DS, yet the DS phat is represented in this game as a do-it-all-communication device. During the GCN era, there was no PM/online system on consoles. Just an ironic part of this game, I think.

Neiteio

The 3DS is like the same power of an N64 but is expected to run the game like a Gamecube game, no surprises something had to give
Uh, what? The 3DS seems more capable than a Wii at times. It's plenty capable of GameCube-like games. Super Mario 3D Land looks as good as the Galaxy games, and Resident Evil Revelations looks better than RE4.

Also, playing this game on the XL, and I see no jaggies. Or ghosting, for that matter. Looks incredible in 3D. They really nailed it out of the park.

ElRenoRaven

Well a bit over 9 hours and I have the first two mansions down with all boos and gems. This mansion was a bit easier then the first I thought. I was glad the boss was easier though after the trip to get to him. Overall I really liked both mansions so far though. so much to discover in the mansions. Each has it's own charm too without a doubt.

Ndayday

Neo Member
My new obsession is trying to take on the ScareScraper by myself. At first I thought that you had to play with others. I'm trying to clear Hunter/Hard/10F right now, finished 5, 10, and 25F on Normal as well as 5F Hard without too many hiccups.

ElRenoRaven

My new obsession is trying to take on the ScareScraper by myself. At first I thought that you had to play with others. I'm trying to clear Hunter/Hard/10F right now.

Wait you can play it solo too? Oh hell yea. I eventually need to add some gaffers though and get a proper game going.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Uh, what? The 3DS seems more capable than a Wii at times. It's plenty capable of GameCube-like games. Super Mario 3D Land looks as good as the Galaxy games, and Resident Evil Revelations looks better than RE4.

Also, playing this game on the XL, and I see no jaggies. Or ghosting, for that matter. Looks incredible in 3D. They really nailed it out of the park.

I looked at screenshots and videos of Luigi's Mansion GC after playing this game, for comparison.

The GC game has a different art style for the environments. Its textures give the appearance of more detail than is actually there geometrically. The quality of the lighting in Dark Moon seems better to me, along with the flashlight effects.

The lower resolution of the 3DS reduces image quality somewhat, but the main difference seems to be art style. Plus there are more advanced shaders on various objects and characters in this game.

If there is a significant downgrade visually, I think it's the style of the ghosts - the original game used a "Pixar-ish" character design and they were designed a variety of costumes. Dark Moon's ghosts are more generic, but I would guess this is related to Dark Moon's storyline. (The ghosts in LM GC are specific people, the spirits in Dark Moon are generic spooks that live in the valley.)

Iacobellis

Nah, I'm just saying, we can't even PM on 3DS, yet the DS phat is represented in this game as a do-it-all-communication device. During the GCN era, there was no PM/online system on consoles. Just an ironic part of this game, I think.

Xbox LIVE was around when the GameCube was.

AngryMoth

Watching the giant bomb quick look last week was my first exposure to the Luigi's Mansion series and I thought it looked awesome, but I guess since the game wasn't on my radar at all beforehand the thought of buying it didn't cross my mind at the time. Today however I'm feeling a sudden urge to play it, so I'm just stopping by to ask if it has gaf's seal of approval before I take the plunge

Watching the giant bomb quick look last week was my first exposure to the Luigi's Mansion series and I thought it looked awesome, but I guess since the game wasn't on my radar at all beforehand the thought of buying it didn't cross my mind at the time. Today however I'm feeling a sudden urge to play it, so I'm just stopping by to ask if it has gaf's seal of approval before I take the plunge

It's Nintendo gaming at it's finest if that means anything to you. It's in the same tier as 3DLand and Kid Icarus.

zroid

Banned
It's Nintendo gaming at it's finest if that means anything to you. It's in the same tier as 3DLand and Kid Icarus.

You mean a game so easy it can be beaten blindfolded, and a game more likely to send you to hospital with a wrist injury than be any fun?

It's April 1st somewhere in the world

eXistor

Game is soooo good. I've only just reached the last mission of the first mansion (I'm juggling this game between Lego City Undercover and Bioshock Infinite), but I think the mission structure really makes sense in this game. I also love that Luigi's Mansion 1 still has its place, there's still more than enough reason to play and love it in a different way. I'd say LM 1's atmosphere is better than in 2 though, it has a more realistic layer rather than the cartoonish look and feel of 2 which I think suits the game a bit better.

Even this early on, this is a big contender for GOTY. It's probably the best game I've played this year so far.

daakusedo

Let me remind you that I added everyone from Europe and a lot from the US.
And almost none of you added me back :(

My code is still 1821-9015-5382.

I'll take your code and here's mine : 3866 9123 9340
I had some people from here but on another 3ds, so if you want to take the new one, tell me.
I was wondering when I'll play scrarescraper and I found a good routine, playing for 3 stars rank, when I miss it because I take too long exploring, I replay the mission and so after 2 or 3, I prefer go to multiplayer and then don't finish too fast the main game, so I'm often here.

The second mansion is amazing. Such good music and great puzzles. It feels like an old PS1 game, in the best way possible. The music sounds right out of a Disney cartoon, and the animation from Aardman.

Oh, and the multiplayer is fun, if really glitchy. This thing keeps happening where the game splits us off into different games and there's no way to get back!

ksamedi

My game arrived today and I was going to give it a spin for a couple of minutes just to check it out but man, I got hooked and played 2 hours straight. This is a gem. Great visual style and the game is very creative. I love how you can interact with almost everything. Cant wait to play some more.

My game arrived today and I was going to give it a spin for a couple of minutes just to check it out but man, I got hooked and played 2 hours straight. This is a gem. Great visual style and the game is very creative. I love how you can interact with almost everything. Cant wait to play some more.

Spam X everywhere. =D

Iacobellis

The 3DS is like the same power of an N64 but is expected to run the game like a Gamecube game, no surprises something had to give

FzFWIS2.jpg

Frolow

Banned
Just beat the first mansion and plan to 100% it before moving on. Hopefully finding all the damn Boos won't be too hard'

Also, the mission complete theme is amazing.

Iacobellis

Just beat the first mansion and plan to 100% it before moving on. Hopefully finding all the damn Boos won't be too hard'

Also, the mission complete theme is amazing.

There's only one Boo per mission, so it shouldn't be that difficult. Getting three stars is worse.

Finished the 3rd mansion, definitely my favorite mansion so far, some great puzzles in there!!!

Sad to see that the boss battles are getting worse with each mansion though. That 3rd boss was, idk, uninspired. The second was good, if not weird, but the first is still the best and the most puzzle-like which I enjoyed.

Onto the 4th mansion, game is still handheld GOTY for me!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just finished the fourth mansion. Surprisingly short compared to the others so far.

amrum

Did you experienced missing keys while playing online ? The room on the map was marked with a key but nobody could find it, we tried everything... Is that a bug (again) ?

Bladenic

Finished third mansion. Preferred the second mansion but it was still great. 3rd boss was lame though, plus I died and had to redo the whole thing bleh. I also missed the Boo on C-4 somehow, haven't missed a Boo yet. Where was he?

Niraj

Did you experienced missing keys while playing online ? The room on the map was marked with a key but nobody could find it, we tried everything... Is that a bug (again) ?

Not to insult your investigative skills, but sometimes you need to reveal stuff with the blacklight, run your vacuum on stuff, press X on stuff, etc. Could be you guys just overlooked something?

amrum

Not to insult your investigative skills, but sometimes you need to reveal stuff with the blacklight, run your vacuum on stuff, press X on stuff, etc. Could be you guys just overlooked something?

:D We tried everything. It was a tiny room with a bed, we had more than 2 minutes left & we tried the black light, the vacum & pressing X everywhere.

It already happened to me twice & it was always on a room with a bed...

zroid

Banned
Ooh where did you get it? Id love it as a text tone.

Someone did it a while ago and posted it here. Really should be added to the OP, haha. People keep bringing it up.

Hey guys! I made an MP3 of the Dual Scream ringtone. You can make it your ringtone, or whatever. Enjoy!

It's the first fifteen seconds, after this it loops back to the start. I know the iPhone doesn't take much longer ringtones, so this should be perfect. If you want a longer loop, let me know and I can do that easily.

Alkolto

Neo Member
I finally 100% this game last night. By far my most anticipated game of the year.

I bought the Japanese version off the JPN E-shop and loved it so much that I went out and bought a physical copy of the North American version on launch, which is something I very rarely do. But I had to do it so I could get all them boo puns, though. I didn't understand any of the Teresa puns.

Niraj

:D We tried everything. It was a tiny room with a bed, we had more than 2 minutes left & we tried the black light, the vacum & pressing X everywhere.

That's weird. Could just be a glitch I guess. That really sucks :(

So far I thankfully haven't had that happen

i had that happen and the room i was in didnt have a bed. i just assumed it was a glitch. it was weird and unfortunate.

Top Bottom