• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

E. Gadd isn't annoying to me, maybe in the first 4 missions he calls Luigi too much, but at least he doesn't spoil good puzzles like Fi did, he doesn't even get you hints. And when you'll reach the second mansion he gets quiet.
This game is incredible. I'm one of the biggest fans of Luigi's Mansion and this sequel is better to me, I can't even say that the atmosphere is worse, because it isn't... And the mission structure is pretty good 'cause you can still explore (and find hidden ghosts/gems/Boo) and see instantly your score. Next Level Games knows its Luigi.

Peterthumpa

Holy shit. This game is absolutely amazing. The graphics are the best I've ever seen on a portable device ever, bar none. I'm talking about Vita included (as a Vita owner, only LBP Vita comes close). Also, although the 3D is great, when disabled the game applies some good amount of AA which makes it even more stunning.

Luigi's animation has almost Pixar quality, and the sound effects and music are one of the best on the 3DS.

The gameplay is fun, never tiring and the location variety is surprisingly great. Pick up this game NOW.

Zeldana

Neo Member
Just reached the third mansion and I have a lot of the same complaints I see pop up everywhere.

The biggest offender - lack of atmosphere. Subtle changes made an enormous difference. Not quite feelin' it like I did with the original.

Issue #2 - missions. It's immediately apparent you won't get to explore the mansions freely from the beginning since everything is essentially already laid out for you. They're not terrible in and of themselves, but a save feature (at the very least) would have made them a whole lot more tolerable. I don't agree with the excuse that it was implemented for on-the-go play (being on a handheld and all) since some missions take 15+ minutes to complete, up to half an hour in some cases, and there's really no way to know the length when you start.

Tightrope segments are questionable.

Music's acceptable. Nothing special.

My favorite thing about it is its charm and the all the little details that change as you progress through the same rooms in different missions. The puzzles really do get Zelda-esque at times, too.

Overall I'm enjoying it enough and I plan to go back and collect all the missing gems and boos after I finish the main game, but, be it nostalgia or whatever talking, I much prefer the first one over what I've played of the sequel so far.

zroid

Banned
This thread is quickly making the term "atmosphere" into one of those irritating buzzwords like "immersion" whose interpretation is so vague and subjective that it's rendered practically meaningless. Bleh.

dwu8991

Banned
This thread is quickly making the term "atmosphere" into one of those irritating buzzwords like "immersion" whose interpretation is so vague and subjective that it's rendered practically meaningless. Bleh.

It's clearly designed more for the kiddies this time around compared to the arguably more mature version on gamecube.

Zeldana

Neo Member
I'll stop using it as soon as I stop seeing the word "hyperbole".

Edit: We're all using the same word to describe an aspect of a single game, what's so bad about it?

Kouichi

Man, this game just freaking oooozes style. I've only played the first 3 missions, but it's a freaking blast so far.

Agreed. LM2 and Mario Strikers show how good Next Level Games are at taking the Mario universe and adding more personality and style to it. I love it.

Trying to play Rush with randoms is impossible.

I'm always impressed when we make it past floor 1. Then you can be sure you have a team that MIGHT make it to floor 4 ;)

I like Rush because it tests people on working together or succumbing to getting greedy and going for more ghosts for themselves at the expense of everyone else. You should also play at least on Hard with randoms, it does change the kind of people you play with.
You'll def need to keep an eye out for those few who just think they need to fight ghosts constantly though.

Chunky

Agreed. LM2 and Mario Strikers show how good Next Level Games are at taking the Mario universe and adding more personality and style to it. I love it.

After this and Punch Out!!, style is clearly Next-Level's strong suit. As far as animation goes, they're probably the best Nintendo's got- can't wait for what they've got next.

Great, my shoulder buttons are randomly going out. Terrible timing.

Also, I can't find the tear drop gem in the first mansion for the life of me.

It's clearly designed more for the kiddies this time around compared to the arguably more mature version on gamecube.

I don't remember it being any more adult than this one. What was different about it?

Lunar15

I'm disappointed, GAF. Missed opportunity with the OT name.

Should have been: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon |OT| Luigi Sucks at Everything

K' Dash

Great, my shoulder buttons are randomly going out. Terrible timing.

Also, I can't find the tear drop gem in the first mansion for the life of me.

I don't remember it being any more adult than this one. What was different about it?

Just google it, it's fucking bullshit, I hope there are no more like that one :mad:

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This game is gorgeous. It's clever, it has great atmosphere, great moments, cartoon-quality animations, fantastic dense level design, great attention for little details...but what's even more impressive is the frame rate.

We all know the game had frame rate problems at the beginning, it wasn't so difficult to notice them when first gameplay videos appeared back at E3 2011, but the final build...wow. Not only it's at pretty costant 30fps for most of the time, with some slowdowns while opening the doors, but there are some parts of the game where it's at more than 30fps, if not at 60fps, with 3D enabled. Fantastic. Saying Next Level Games = new Retro Studios sounds too implausible, or not?

Iacobellis

This game is gorgeous. It's clever, it has great atmosphere, great moments, cartoon-quality animations, fantastic dense level design, great attention for little details...but what's even more impressive is the frame rate.

We all know the game had frame rate problems at the beginning, it wasn't so difficult to notice them when first gameplay videos appeared back at E3 2011, but the final build...wow. Not only it's at pretty costant 30fps for most of the time, with some slowdowns while opening the doors, but there are some parts of the game where it's at more than 30fps, if not at 60fps, with 3D enabled. Fantastic. Saying Next Level Games = new Retro Studios sounds too implausible, or not?

Yeah, it is definitely much smoother than what we initially saw. What I really dislike, though, is that NLG made this too much of a handheld game. Mission-based is okay, but the cinematic feel from the first game is entirely gone. Where all the chilling boss cutscenes, what about "do-do, dee-dee, bump, bump" followed by a laugh when Luigi would open a door without a key?

TrueBlue

Yeah, it is definitely much smoother than what we initially saw. What I really dislike, though, is that NLG made this too much of a handheld game. Mission-based is okay, but the cinematic feel from the first game is entirely gone. Where all the chilling boss cutscenes, what about "do-do, dee-dee, bump, bump" followed by a laugh when Luigi would open a door without a key?

Those examples really aren't that "cinematic".

Some real complaints would be the lack of a Join Game feature and no obvious way to collect the gems in one go or "free mansion" roam. But no atmosphere? I call user error.

This game is pure joy and overflowing with personality and atmosphere at every turn. Don't get "what I wanted" and what's actually presented to you confuse you. You may not like what's presented to you but that doesn't make it objectively deficient. Just not your taste.

But in my videogame experience this game is rarity of quality.

When do I start interacting with Polterpups? I saw one in the first mission playing with a gem, but he disappeared. I've also NOT started the 2nd "mansion" yet so yeah...

TDLink

So I got enough cash to get either Fire Emblem or Luigi's Mansion? Which one GAF?

It honestly depends on your genre preference. Both are fantastic games that are going to last you a while. Fire Emblem will definitely last you longer though. With Luigi you are looking at 12-15 hrs for the campaign, then add online multiplayer. With Fire Emblem you are looking at 20-30 hours for the campaign, then add dlc/spotpass missions. I have a friend who has already clocked 85 hrs into Fire Emblem.

So yeah, if you can only get one and you want something that will last you a long long time. Fire Emblem is probably it. Eventually get both though. If you don't like Strategy games then get Luigi.

GeekyDad

So I got enough cash to get either Fire Emblem or Luigi's Mansion? Which one GAF?

It honestly depends on your genre preference. Both are fantastic games that are going to last you a while. Fire Emblem will definitely last you longer though. With Luigi you are looking at 12-15 hrs for the campaign, then add online multiplayer. With Fire Emblem you are looking at 20-30 hours for the campaign, then add dlc/spotpass missions. I have a friend who has already clocked 85 hrs into Fire Emblem.

So yeah, if you can only get one and you want something that will last you a long long time. Fire Emblem is probably it. Eventually get both though. If you don't like Strategy games then get Luigi.

Personally, I'm always going to default to Awakening when presented with this question. I just ordered LM2, and can't wait to dig into it. But up until just about a week ago, physical copies of Awakening have been really, really scarce. Of course, if folks are simply going to do digital download, then yeah, it's whatever you're in the mood for. But if both games interest you and you're wanting a physical cart, I say nab Awakening while the gettin's good. Right now, it seems most sites have it in stock again. That might not last too long, though. And if history is any indication, the price to own a physical copy of Awakening will likely go up significantly in the next year or so. LM2, though, isn't likely to change at all.

DaBoss

I'm disappointed, GAF. Missed opportunity with the OT name.

Should have been: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon |OT| Luigi Sucks at Everything

It was going to be something with sucks in it or the one the one that is being used, but some people weren't happy with it, so this one was chosen.

Bladenic

Need help with a puzzle for a gem I assume. B-2
how do you get to shoot the ghost pop-up? It immediately goes back down. Putting the water filled basket on the pedestal doesn't do anything.

Chatin

Game glitch at the end of C-3:
During the boss fight, to get the clock hands back, the ghost turned into a twister prior to what should have been the last stage of the fight, but it just stayed a twister... guess I'm gonna have to restart the mission..

zroid

Banned
haha, just ran into a freaky sound glitch. ghost is swinging from a chandelier, making a racket, but then even after I capture it, the racket continues. :V

Stopdoor

Need help with a puzzle for a gem I assume. B-2
how do you get to shoot the ghost pop-up? It immediately goes back down. Putting the water filled basket on the pedestal doesn't do anything.

I ran into a glitch with this;
for me I left the room and screwed it up, the water is supposed hold the switch, just seems to be glitchy.

In the end though it's just a gold ghost, not a gem, so you don't need to worry too much about it working.

Duster

Don't you hate those people that don't know what they're doing in multi-player?
Well I'm one of them, how do you get people out of the floor?

Is there anywhere in the game that actually tells you about things like this?

Anyway the single-player is fantastic, as everybody else has already said it's just full of great little touches.

Bladenic

I ran into a glitch with this;
for me I left the room and screwed it up, the water is supposed hold the switch, just seems to be glitchy.

In the end though it's just a gold ghost, not a gem, so you don't need to worry too much about it working.

Ah okay. Guess it glitched then. But no big deal then.

Also who didn't know you can
flash the yellow spiders, etc. for extra cash? Just figured it out by accident haha.

Finished B2. Can't wait to play more.

Kouichi

Don't you hate those people that don't know what they're doing in multi-player?
Well I'm one of them, how do you get people out of the floor?

Is there anywhere in the game that actually tells you about things like this?

Anyway the single-player is fantastic, as everybody else has already said it's just full of great little touches.

Suck up the rug. Also, dark light your partner to get rid of curse.

Zeldana

Neo Member
You guys mentioned glitches recently and I ran into my first one when a key bounced out of the reachable area, then shortly after that my game froze. =\ (I'll try not to let those minor nuisances get in the way of all the "charm", though.)

addyb

This game is brilliant. I need Luigi's ds ringtone as my real one. I also want Luigi's greeting "yellooo" as my message tone. :)

JordanKZ

I have no idea who designed that boss... But what the fuck.

D-Boss is horribly designed. A timer on your attacks, a timer on the sled you're on, a timer on the boss regenerating his health? And having to slow yourself down to time your shots?

What?

My only complaint so far, but it drove me nuts.

Top Bottom