• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Any tips for finding Boos? I finished the first Boo stage (A4?) and then realized the first icon after stage completion was a Boo tracker. When I played A5 (spider web one) I looked all around, couldn't really find the Boo.

I've been occupied with playing DW7 but I play Luigi when I'm out on the bus or just around the house.

Biggest thing is to keep in mind objects that were there in previous missions that disappear. Empty spots are a huge clue, as usually there is something there (if not the object containing Boo, then usually cash). Most of the time, the Boo will be on the same path you have to take to finish your mission, or at least nearby. Other times you'll have to go to a room further away, but there's no real indication beforehand.

Usually you can tell when a mission is ending, so if you haven't found it by then, you can go back through and explore the other rooms (sometimes you'll get stuck and have to play through again though). Hope that helps.

Shahadan

Thank you so much guys ! I really wanted to finally complete a 25 floors!
It's nice to play with people who don't suck (or are good at it anyway :p)

I'm so sorry Kipe, I noticed a bit late that my roommate was downloading heavy files, were you lagging? That could have been the cause.

daakusedo

I feared until the last floor that something screw us particularly when we were dying on the final boss. 25 floors, 53mn, exhausting!

Shahadan

I feared until the last floor that something screw us particularly when we were dying on the final boss. 25 floors, 53mn, exhausting!

Yeah that is very long. It's weird, it's so un-Nintendo-y. The fact that 15 and 20 floors limit don't exist is odd too.

HoJu

Beat the game. Overall, it was just ok.

POSITIVES
-graphics and animation
-interactions of the ghosts and Luigi with the environments , and it is impressive how many of these moments NLG threw in
-the environments are well detailed and varied enough
-no two room feel the same
-Toad missions
-first boss fight throws familiar mechanics together and challenges you to manipulate the environment in new ways

NEGATIVES
-missions take you to new environments, but throws familiar tropes at you. Suck up all the ghosts, dark light something in the room, spin the fan around.
-the few environmental puzzles present are seriously easy
-replaying missions is not fun
-too much padding. polterpup missions, clean the cobwebs, ghosts are hidden in environments you already explored find them to get the keys.

I'd give it a 6.

Now I understand everyone's complaints. Geez, that 4th boss sucked some major ass. Took me 3 tries, and yikes, is timing important there. Woo, glad that's done. I think I'm gonna go and collect all gems and boss I missed, then onto the 5th! Still a great game!

Sora_N

Biggest thing is to keep in mind objects that were there in previous missions that disappear. Empty spots are a huge clue, as usually there is something there (if not the object containing Boo, then usually cash). Most of the time, the Boo will be on the same path you have to take to finish your mission, or at least nearby. Other times you'll have to go to a room further away, but there's no real indication beforehand.

Usually you can tell when a mission is ending, so if you haven't found it by then, you can go back through and explore the other rooms (sometimes you'll get stuck and have to play through again though). Hope that helps.

Thanks, will look around. :)

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Finished the first mansion.

Really loving this game, it's so polished. I am desperately trying not to play too much as I'm going to the USA in about a week and a bit. I was hoping to play this on the plane ride over but I'll probably finish it before then.

OmegaZero

Just beat the game.
That final boss
dragged on a bit too long for my liking. Overall, it was a fairly fun fight.

I'd rank the bosses as follows (not too spoilery, but still tagged just in case):
1) Mansion 1 Boss - Left a great first impression. Had me stumped for a few seconds.
2) Mansion 5 Boss - Great music, and a epic finale.
3) Mansion 3 Boss - While nothing too special, it was more fun then the Mansion 4 boss.
4) Mansion 4 Boss - I personally had no problems with the aiming, but it was rather boring.
5) Final Boss - Was fun the first round, not so much the third.
6) Mansion 2 Boss - Actually, the tedious stairs leading to the boss itself was the main issue for me. Fuck those stairs.

Just got to the Secret Mine, the game is taking a substantial boost in just about every aspect at this point. The atmosphere is incredible with awesome music and visuals, the ideas in tow are so creative and fun, and the game's cutscenes are actually pretty funny at times. I really am loving this game.

Shahadan

Just got to the Secret Mine, the game is taking a substantial boost in just about every aspect at this point. The atmosphere is incredible with awesome music and visuals, the ideas in tow are so creative and fun, and the game's cutscenes are actually pretty funny at times. I really am loving this game.

image.php

zroid

Banned
Had a little free time so I went ahead and tackled the first boss. Man, you guys weren't kidding; it's seriously great.

Niraj

Just finished. Really enjoyed the game overall. It's better than the first one overall for sure, and is just a joy to play. Personally I rank it up there with Kid Icarus: Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Super Mario 3D Land as a top tier, must-own 3DS game. Next Level Games knocked it out of the park.

It helps that the multiplayer is pretty solid too :)

Shahadan

I think I prefer the first one personally, even if Dark Moon is still a better overall game.

I miss the single mansion, the human ghost, and the profusion of gold and jewels.

Niraj

I think I prefer the first one personally, even if Dark Moon is still a better overall game.

I miss the single mansion, the human ghost, and the profusion of gold and jewels.

The unique ghosts in the first game were nice, and I do wish there was some more variation to the ghosts in general in this one (like how the first one had Shy Guy ghosts, etc). I also kind of miss the elemental stuff from the first one as well. I think that they did a good job of creating this one with portables in mind though. I liked that I could just play a couple missions a night.

Edit: Admittedly though, the first one isn't super fresh for me, since I haven't played it in almost 12 years lol

XaosWolf

Well I've just gotten up to the Secret Mine, so time for some impressions.

So far it is incredibly enjoyable. Each mansion brings something new that either entertains, looks cool, introduces a new mechanic or all of the above.

There's only been a few times I've had to look for a hint, main one being the teardrop gem in the first mansion.

The graphics are definitely the best on the system to date, with great lighting, effects and functioning mirrors. Every mansion has been expertly crafted.

Bosses seem a little hit and miss, with the first being the only one that actually worked well so far.

Best unexpected thing about this is the just how fun the multiplayer is, and how easy it is to get a game going with the Super Download Play this game has. It basically works as a demo and training mode all in one, and I think they should put a Luigi's Mansion 2 "demo" unit in some GAME stores. Good way to show off the game and mechanics all at once.

Oh, and anyone feel free to add me if you wants some multiplayer going on, I should be on the list/sheet in the OP. =)

gerudoman

The Portal gag with Luigi saluting himself in the 4th mansion was really hilarious. It's been a long time since a game made me laugh so hard.

BowieZ

Banned
As someone who is desperately avoiding spoilers (only up to mission 3-B), could someone reply to me and tell me what the gaf-consensus is like?

BowieZ

Banned
Overall people really like it, a few outliers, and a troll called noffles.

thanks. i really like it too, up to this stage, although i would probably prefer one massive Metroid-like mansion without the episodic breaks, but that doesn't influence the quality of what the portable friendly game is trying to be.

NickMitch

Just got the game and played the first mission. It's frekkin awesome with the anmation quality and the sound. Can't wait to get home from work.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I just can't stop playing this thing. It's so damn absorbing. First time happening to me with any game this gen

..and I'm still at mission 1-5. Been replaying them because I want the bloody gold medal

I've only finished the first mission of the second mansion, but I'm really enjoying this game immensely. I'm a little saddened by the many mentions of the game dragging on. I hope that my limited amount of time I can allocate to the game per week helps pace it a little bit better.

Bagu

I just noticed all the ScareScraper ghosts are themed around things like sports or aquatic life. Complete with terrible pun names!
Neat! :D

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I have a question: I've noticed some
boo shaped silhouettes
on walls, but cant capture/do anything with them. Am I missing something?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well since I've changed my avatar I guess I need to Luigi-fy it again. With or without Big Boos? (the :3 is a reference to the avatar adopted by namori, the author of the manga)

akariluigi.jpg
akariluigighosts.jpg

XaosWolf

I just noticed all the ScareScraper ghosts are themed around things like sports or aquatic life. Complete with terrible pun names!
Neat! :D

And Fruit and Vegetables. =)

I have a question: I've noticed some
boo shaped silhouettes
on walls, but cant capture/do anything with them. Am I missing something?
There's a Boo in each Mission to find, but I don't recall seeing any such things. There are silhouettes for the
Polterpups
though.

Well since I've changed my avatar I guess I need to Luigi-fy it again. With or without Big Boos?
akariluigighosts.jpg

With Boos, I say. 80's Rytlock demands it.

Bagu

And Fruit and Vegetables. =)
Sun FLower
"Heh! The funny thing...heh heh...the funny thing is...he can't stand the sun! Ho Ho! Oho! Hooooo...
Is that irony? i never know if I'm using that word correctly.
The people that wrote this and the others all deserve a medal.

Also, I say Big Boo BGBW

beta_fuse

Anybody else notice that clicking the D-pad during the last mission (might be the last couple of missions I'm not sure) makes Luigi say
"Marioooo" like in the original?
. This thread has too many pages for me to look through and check if this was already posted. Either way it made me smile. Love this game!

Game's hit #5 in the UK charts, pretty impressive for a platform exclusive (on a supposedly struggling platform).

Still haven't got past the second mansion myself, pacing myself with this one, and it's delightful. I don't want to rush it in the slightest.

Top Bottom