• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

AXavierB

Neo Member
I still think the first one is really good. It's not as content-rich or polished as this one, but it's still pretty brilliant. Also very eerie and atmospheric, despite not being genuinely scary most of the time.

Madao

and again, a game that really needed a complete tutorial lacks it (they don't tell you all the possible moves).

i didn't even know the flashlight opened up the flowers until i did it randomly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
and again, a game that really needed a small tutorial lacks it.

i didn't even know the flashlight opened up the flowers until i did it randomly.

It sort of occurred to me when I noticed that they follow the light around. That said they could have made it a bit more obvious, maybe have them open up a bit.

and again, a game that really needed a complete tutorial lacks it (they don't tell you all the possible moves).

I can see how the flashlight stuff can be all trial and error + puzzle solving, but that jump dodge should've been mentioned in the tutorial.

i just beat the game
14 hours spent on the campaign, still have tons of boos to catch, still have lots of gems to collect
haven't touched the multiplayer yet since i couldn't get in a game all week

dawwwwww at mario and luigi at the end, fuck that king boo and fuck that armor knight boss- the giant form, i struggled a lot on that one.
running from king boo was awesome.

amazing game, best 3DS game so far and loved it.

daakusedo

In multiplayer, with room full of ghosts, dodging attacks from all sides while weakening a high stamina ghost is so satisfying. Better learn about it before entering scarescraper, would be a nightmare if not on higher difficulties.

DaBoss

To be fair, I think that would be something you would experiment with.

GeekyDad

Weird. I think this is the first 3DS game I've played where turning the 3D slider all the way up made my eyes hurt less. Seems like each game is optimized a little differently when it comes to its 3D effect.

The R shoulder button finally died on my 3ds. I have no idea what is happening, but this is the second Nintendo system it's happened on(first being the regular DSi). They are all in perfect condition and meticulously kept up as well. The blowing trick doesn't work this time around.

What this means is, no more Luigi for me until I grab a replacement. And I just made it to the old water plant too, right when it was getting juicy. Feels terrible playing it and not being able to do anything :^(

What's the issue that people are having with that boss?

Well for me:

Overheating is stupid. The fact that the ice regenerates is enough of a road block, since spamming bombs won't really help you anyway. It just made it so that if the ice DID regenerate, I needed to be perfect in order to not die.

The aiming isn't great. I was using the stick, so I wasn't sure if I was fighting the aiming or if I was moving my 3DS and the motion was fucking with my aiming. Either way, between that and the overheating and the ice growing back, it made things way tougher than it had to be, plus you have to do it three times for no god damn reason other than the fucking rule of threes. Fail once and you have to start all over again. The entire encounter is just stupid.

Well for me:

Overheating is stupid. The fact that the ice regenerates is enough of a road block, since spamming bombs won't really help you anyway. It just made it so that if the ice DID regenerate, I needed to be perfect in order to not die.

The aiming isn't great. I was using the stick, so I wasn't sure if I was fighting the aiming or if I was moving my 3DS and the motion was fucking with my aiming. Either way, between that and the overheating and the ice growing back, it made things way tougher than it had to be, plus you have to do it three times for no god damn reason other than the fucking rule of threes. Fail once and you have to start all over again. The entire encounter is just stupid.

Here's the easy tips to beat the boss:

Clear the center part of the shield 1st then aim down and hit the side shields until 3-4 of the shields left. After that move the aim to the left/right against the wall slightly near the boss so your bombs will bounce and hit the down center of the boss when you shoot, leave it there.
Hit the shoot when your target ice shield around 11-12 clock position, you need to figure the right timing for it. Repeat until all the shield gone then shoot the boss mouth lol..

It easy as a piece of cake.. I beat it in single run and got 3 stars.

Btw... Anybody can Luigify my avatar?

They made a huge error making the spider the first boss, because the other bosses are completely awful in comparison and each one is a new letdown after the promise and ingenuity the first one showed.

Clear the center part of the shield 1st then aim down and hit the side shields until 3-4 of the shields left. After that move the aim to the left/right against the wall slightly near the boss so your bombs will bounce and hit the down center of the boss when you shoot, leave it there.
Hit the shoot when your target ice shield around 11-12 clock position, you need to figure the right timing for it. Repeat until all the shield gone then shoot the boss mouth lol..

I figured all that out myself. It's still terrible. The game in general asks you to do things that don't fit the control scheme very well.

E-2 restored a bit of my faith in the game, but it seems like another game whose strong charm and personality is leading people to give it a pass for mediocre gameplay.

AXavierB

Neo Member
I just realized after replaying A-4 that the first Boo you catch leaves a trail of ectoplasm and wall prints that you can track through the mansion with your Dark-Light, kind of like the Polterpup. That really would have been useful if it applied to all the other Boos since this game doesn't have a radar like the original. :/

OmegaZero

Yeah, this is basically what I did.
Didn't have any trouble with it whatsoever.

Thoraxes

I think I just bugged out B2.

Totally trapped in this room and can't interact with the thing i'm supposed to be able to interact with.

AXavierB

Neo Member
I think I just bugged out B2.

Totally trapped in this room and can't interact with the thing i'm supposed to be able to interact with.

Are you in the room with the
balloon plant on the other side of a wall or door you can't get past
? If so, I don't think that's accessible in your current mission. Try exploring other parts of the mansion.

It sort of occurred to me when I noticed that they follow the light around. That said they could have made it a bit more obvious, maybe have them open up a bit.

Not really; the game presents the mechanic in a quite clever and subtle way at the beggining of the second mansion. I think that's most rewarding that simply make E.Gadd telling you the possibility.

XaosWolf

cguzFSg.png

How's this?

Thought I'd do that whilst I was hattin' up my new avatar. Charr don't really have a head for hats, and therefore suck at TF2.

As for all this talk of dodging, it should've told you.
It IS in the Controls section of the pause screen though.

Top Bottom