• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Yuterald

The tear shaped gem in mansion 1 simply does not exist, I have explored every nook and cranny and it is nowhere to be found.

Seriously. I've collected every Gem but that one as well. I really don't want to look this one up either because half the fun is discovering this shit on your own, know what I mean? I felt like I've searched everyone, I have no idea where it could be. I guess I could start with rooms/areas that do have gems and go by a process of elimination. =/

OmegaZero

Seriously. I've collected every Gem but that one as well. I really don't want to look this one up either because half the fun is discovering this shit on your own, know what I mean? I felt like I've searched everyone, I have no idea where it could be. I guess I could start with rooms/areas that do have gems and go by a process of elimination. =/

A hint then:
It's in one of the first rooms of the mansion. Don't lose your head looking for it.

You're going to waste your time like I did until I looked it up. If you don't want to look it up, here's at least something that will narrow it down for you.

It's
only in the third mission. something in a room fundamentally changes. meaning something you tried early on now works differently, which is why no one finds it.

Or if you want to know what room:
first room of the mansion. :p

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
omg this game...THIS GAME!

the level of detal is just amazing. Animations are so good. Lighting effects are incredible. Every room is like one of those miniature toys...fantastic stuff all around

and the music...already damn memorable

OryoN

Oh my god. I just got it. Thanks for the hint. I can't believe I never checked that room more thoroughly. Ugh.

I thought I was the only one who had trouble finding that gem. Like you, I had searched every nook and cranny and didn't want to look up a guide(but had to in the end). That was a neat hint you got there. Good job to whomever gave it!(sorry, on mobile, hard to look up nick from here).

Part of what made it more difficult was the fact that I did check that 'thing' on more than one occasion, but unfortunately, not during the right missions, so nothing special happened. So I nevered bothered to keep checking it later. I'd like to think that I would have found it during a coin run, but I had some really great coin runs prior and didn't feel the need to do another one in that mansion. *Sigh*

Nintendo games are most rewarding for puzzle-solving and exploration. In regards to that element, this game feels like a strange but awesome cross between Metroid and Zelda.

Schlomo

In case anyone else bought this from the Japanese eShop, there's a campaign where you can get a 500 Yen voucher if you answer their survey. If you have already answered it, it's in your "Original Goods" list on the Club Nintendo page.

Awesome game!

PD: Can someone edit my avatar with a green hat? thanks in advance

hows this?
ek12uOo.png

StAidan

Part of what made it more difficult was the fact that I did check that 'thing' on more than one occasion, but unfortunately, not during the right missions, so nothing special happened. So I nevered bothered to keep checking it later.

I have mixed feelings about the way that works, personally. I've only finished the first mansion, but so far I have checked and rechecked every object and re-explored every cranny during each mission. It's a good way to get some longevity out of the environment, but I did sometimes feel like it was getting to be a bit too much.

It's not a huge deal if you're making sure to find every secret the first time through the mission (which I'm certainly trying), but on replays it can be tiresome.

zroid

Banned
Remember that the gems are ordered chronologically by mission (and even within the missions, for that matter) so you should always be able to deduce which mission it'll be found in, or at worst, one of two.

Jarsonot

One thing that's annoying me is that I still have some things I want to check/explore, but then the quest ends.

I'm starting to learn to do/check everything BEFORE I do whatever it is that ends the quest, but it's not always apparent that I'm about to end the quest, ya know?

Other than that, this is a fantastic game, looking forward to putting more time into it, and I love that there are hidden gems & boos I have to go back and find.

Haven't even tried out multiplayer yet.

One thing that's annoying me is that I still have some things I want to check/explore, but then the quest ends.

I'm starting to learn to do/check everything BEFORE I do whatever it is that ends the quest, but it's not always apparent that I'm about to end the quest, ya know?

Other than that, this is a fantastic game, looking forward to putting more time into it, and I love that there are hidden gems & boos I have to go back and find.

Haven't even tried out multiplayer yet.

Don't worry much about multiplayer - you'll be getting the general skills playing through the campaign part.

Yuterald

I thought I was the only one who had trouble finding that gem. Like you, I had searched every nook and cranny and didn't want to look up a guide(but had to in the end). That was a neat hint you got there. Good job to whomever gave it!(sorry, on mobile, hard to look up nick from here).

Part of what made it more difficult was the fact that I did check that 'thing' on more than one occasion, but unfortunately, not during the right missions, so nothing special happened. So I nevered bothered to keep checking it later. I'd like to think that I would have found it during a coin run, but I had some really great coin runs prior and didn't feel the need to do another one in that mansion. *Sigh*

Actually, I found the Gem during the unlockable Boo mission. The entire mansion is essentially "unlocked" during this mission and I believe all Gems can be found during this scenario. If that was intended, then I guess I'm okay with how the Gems are handled. That's if the rest of the mansions are handled in a similar fashion, however. I agree though, locking Gems to particular missions is dumb. It's another one of the reasons why I dislike the mission structure in this game. They could have at least unlocked something for the player, like a beep/sound, that alarmed you when you entered the room with a Gem, sort of like how those flash light switches react when you're near them. Oh well, game is still very cool.

GC|Simon

I bought the game last Thursday and played it a couple of times since then. I just arrived in the fourth mansion. And wow, this game is way more awesome than expected. I really love pretty much everything about it: outstanding level design with tons of hidden things and variety, fun gameplay, great graphics with amazing lightning effects and a catchy soundtrack. Next Level Games did definitively a great if not even perfect job. So far, an absolute must-have for Nintendo's 3DS - and maybe even a reason to buy one.

Draconian

I bought the game last Thursday and played it a couple of times since then. I just arrived in the fourth mansion. And wow, this game is way more awesome than expected. I really love pretty much everything about it: outstanding level design with tons of hidden things and variety, fun gameplay, great graphics with amazing lightning effects and a catchy soundtrack. Next Level Games did definitively a great if not even perfect job. So far, an absolute must-have for Nintendo's 3DS - and maybe even a reason to buy one.

If you're in the US, the XL promotion is a system seller for sure! This and Super Mario 3D Land are probably the two best games I've played on the system.

Bladenic

If you're in the US, the XL promotion is a system seller for sure! This and Super Mario 3D Land are probably the two best games I've played on the system.

I did the promo, and got Super Mario 3D. Needless to say, I don't regret my purchase(s), as both games are amazing.

Regarding the mission structure, my only gripe is no sort of checkpoint system. Some missions can be fairly long, and having to repeat an entire one if you die near the end would be infuriating. Luckily I've yet to die in a mission out of Boss3 (which was annoying).

Zeldana

Neo Member
Has anyone else completed a mission only to find their collected gold was not added to their total? I needed 40-something for the next upgrade, collected 700 or so, and then... nothing. Began the next mission with the same amount I ended with previously. Weird.

The third mansion is my favorite one so far, the different music on the lower levels was a nice surprise.

It's tough starting over with no check points especially after boss fights. One bad thing in this otherwise amazing game.

And also
Toad
is annoyingly cute, lol!

noffles

Banned
I finished this last night and I was incredibly underwhelmed. It felt like they injected the DNA of a Zelda game into Luigi's Mansion (good) and then filled it with some unnecessary padding that only served to make the game feel just a little bit pointless (bad). Half of the game was literally just made up of scenarios where ghosts did stuff/stole stuff and you had to go and suck them up to progress/get items back. What makes this worse is when there are two missions that are literally just chases through a completed mansion in order to get back a key. Honestly, the most enjoyable part of the game for me was gem collecting, but by the end of it I just wasn't compelled to go back and get them. Why? The fucking mission system. It felt so restricting. I wanted to explore mansions and do everything at my own leisure, not adhere to a mission system that separated different parts of each mansion just for the sake of it being a portable title.

The mechanics are solid, but my god is this an example of horrific game design.

Ear of Luigi got off to a bad start.

Korosenai

I finished this last night and I was incredibly underwhelmed. It felt like they injected the DNA of a Zelda game into Luigi's Mansion (good) and then filled it with some unnecessary padding that only served to make the game feel just a little bit pointless (bad). Half of the game was literally just made up of scenarios where ghosts did stuff/stole stuff and you had to go and suck them up to progress/get items back. What makes this worse is when there are two missions that are literally just chases through a completed mansion in order to get back a key. Honestly, the most enjoyable part of the game for me was gem collecting, but by the end of it I just wasn't compelled to go back and get them. Why? The fucking mission system. It felt so restricting. I wanted to explore mansions and do everything at my own leisure, not adhere to a mission system that separated different parts of each mansion just for the sake of it being a portable title.

The mechanics are solid, but my god is this an example of horrific game design.

Ear of Luigi got off to a bad start.

Well, I mean, if you break down every game like that then yes, it will seem underwhelming. Like Halo for example. There are bad guys, you walk around and shoot them until you win, and you might have to press a button or two. Sounds boring doesn't it? (I like Halo and i'm not calling it boring, just saying when you post it like that it does look boring).

And you want the game to let you be able to explore the mansion? That's what those fifth missions are for and why they are there, yet you didn't like playing them.

noffles

Banned
Well, I mean, if you break down every game like that then yes, it will seem underwhelming. Like Halo for example. There are bad guys, you walk around and shoot them until you win, and you might have to press a button or two. Sounds boring doesn't it? (I like Halo and i'm not calling it boring, just saying when you post it like that it does look boring).

And you want the game to let you be able to explore the mansion? That's what those fifth missions are for and why they are there, yet you didn't like playing them.

1. My analysis is true to how I felt when I was playing the game. If a game can't keep me interested beyond that, then it's hardly me at fault.

2. I like not being constrained to a linear path within a mansion that's clearly designed to be like a non-linear dungeon. Why should I have to wade through the guff to get what I want? After the mansion objectives are finished, there's literally no point.

You're just defending the game for the sake of it here.

Sora_N

Any tips for finding Boos? I finished the first Boo stage (A4?) and then realized the first icon after stage completion was a Boo tracker. When I played A5 (spider web one) I looked all around, couldn't really find the Boo.

I've been occupied with playing DW7 but I play Luigi when I'm out on the bus or just around the house.

Kipe

Who would be down for a 25 floors instead? :D

I'm online with the 3ds and Luigi already loaded up.

I just got done playing 25 floor and the team slowly disappeared and I started soloing 14-20. :p That was stressful.

I can't believe how much stuff they put in multiplayer. There are ice floors and different looking bosses the further you get.

daakusedo

I was playing on expert, everything was fine and I don't remember what happened but we couldn't finish, and I'm not satisfied now, is there a session going on?

jwhit28

I'm online with the 3ds and Luigi already loaded up.

I just got done playing 25 floor and the team slowly disappeared and I started soloing 14-20. :p That was stressful.

I can't believe how much stuff they put in multiplayer. There are ice floors and different looking bosses the further you get.

Well that's 3. One more would be great.

I got the last copy of Luigi's Mansion in my town! I checked availability yesterday and Best Buy was the only place that had any. I head in today and sure enough there was one copy left, well worth the rainy excursion.

First impressions: This game is absolutely gorgeous! Controls are a bit funky, some sort of strafe toggle would be nice. Dialogue is hilarious.

I'm only on the second mission, but I can't wait until I unlock the ScareScraper so I can play some multiplayer!

Mistle

No spoiler tags? I don't know what thread policy is but I didn't know about this.
It's one of the main mechanics of the game and is in all the promotion, so I don't think it's a spoiler.. If you don't have it yet, you must have just started, as you get it very early on.

However if this thread does consider it a spoiler for some reason, then I do apologise.

zruben

Banned
I just got this game... it's amazing! :D

I have only played the first two missions, and I have a question... where is the online mode?, really looking forward to play that, and I can't find it anywhere... does it gets unlocked after completing the game?

PD: also got the Star Fox game for free, thanks to the NOA deal... It's a great game too.

DaBoss

It's one of the main mechanics of the game and is in all the promotion, so I don't think it's a spoiler.. If you don't have it yet, you must have just started, as you get it very early on.

However if this thread does consider it a spoiler for some reason, then I do apologise.

I think you meant dark light, and it isn't really a spoiler. It is in the promotional art and media.

Kipe

What happened to the group? Everyone dropped off and the boss, with low health, finally got me.

Damn multiplayer is incredibly fun.

Top Bottom