• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Korosenai

2nd boss wasnt great, but it wasnt that bad either. It was just too easy. So far the 3rd mansion is great though, probably my favorite so far.

finishing up the 2nd mansion, Those stairs, FUUUUUU.

In the beginning I loved this game, but now it seems like its just going through the motion, anyone else not get the fun they were expecting?

Ridley327

The Big Boo
boss is one of those great ideas that gets ruined by how long it takes to do it.

I really can't believe they peaked so early with the boss design, especially with how awful the third and fourth boss fights are.

tkscz

Just made it to the 3rd mansion, and I must say, while I still find the game very fun,and I still like the game a lot, one of my favorite 3DS games, I must say I don't like
how it's mission based. If I want to find any of the gems, I have to choose the right mission, otherwise I'm locked off from certain rooms. I'd rather have it where if I unlock a door, regardless of which mission it is, the door stays unlocked. I also wished that if you quit a previously beaten mission, you keep the money and gems, rather than beating the mission over again. Also, I'd rather not have Egadd interrupt me when I find something. I know what to do with it, don't take me back to the bunker, let me keep exploring.
Those are my only gripes with the game, and it's really nit picking as I'm just
comparing it to the original which was far more of a path-finder game than this one is.

XaosWolf

Anybody else notice that clicking the D-pad during the last mission (might be the last couple of missions I'm not sure) makes Luigi say
"Marioooo" like in the original?
. This thread has too many pages for me to look through and check if this was already posted. Either way it made me smile. Love this game!

You know, I've played lots of multiplayer, and yet it's taken until Mansion 4 for me to figure out that pressing on the D-pad makes Luigi say stuff.
I felt pretty dumb last night when I did it. /=,

Do you think Nintendo will do DLC missions/mansions?

I think this is one of those games where consumers would love some, but aren't gonna get it.

Surprised there isn't any Houskeeping or some kind of Boo mode in Multiplayer though.
I actually enjoyed the spiderweb thing.

Game's hit #5 in the UK charts, pretty impressive for a platform exclusive (on a supposedly struggling platform).

Still haven't got past the second mansion myself, pacing myself with this one, and it's delightful. I don't want to rush it in the slightest.

Good to hear. I was surprised when something knocked FIFA from top spot not long back. =)
I'm unintentionally taking my time with it as I've had loads of stuff going on right now.
Also 100% each mission before moving on is getting even more playtime from me. =D

finishing up the 2nd mansion, Those stairs, FUUUUUU.

In the beginning I loved this game, but now it seems like its just going through the motion, anyone else not get the fun they were expecting?

There's still things that pop up and mix things up a little, but the Bosses are a little meh.
The stairs were tedious, though.

wbhSb21.png
L29UwUK.jpg

Thank you sir!

NTom64

Up to Mansion 4 so far. While I am loving the game and think a worthwhile successor to the original Luigi's Mansion, I have a few complaints about it.

- Random glitches. In mansion 3 I was tracking down one of the
Boo's
and after bringing its health down to zero it bounced right off the screen and into the ether. Try as I might I couldn't find it, which was weird because this wasn't an open room so there's not many places it could hide. I had to restart the mission and thankfully it didn't happen again, but it's really something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

- The size of the 3DS's screen in general makes it hard to pinpoint whether or not an enemy's attack is going to connect or not. The dodge helps with this, but again perspective is an issue. This extends to finding and interacting with things in the environment too.

- Bosses (at least after the first) are a tad uninspired. Time-consuming too. I spent most of the time during the fights thinking up ways they could be improved upon, and given the nature of the bosses
you know, that they posses things
, I expected a bit more creativity.

- Online can be a tad finicky at times. When you're in a game it works great, but sometimes it can be *connection error* after *connection error* after *connection error*

In terms of positive things though, there's much more to say about the game:

- Gameplay-wise, things are a step-up from LM1. There's the same "explore mansions, collect money/jewels* style of play but the rank system also offers a deeper level of challenge and the combat is more streamlined (to compensate for the lack of a C-Stick) without dumbing it down. Which honestly is all you can ask for from a handheld sequel to a console game (on the 3DS anyway lol).

And to go into detail about the lack of a second stick a bit more, I felt that the game values timing and strategy a lot more than the first game did. Since you're committed to the direction you're facing once you start vacuuming, you have to learn the importance of placement and how to position yourself effectively in order to take down multiple ghosts without getting ambushed.

Puzzle-wise it's a major improvement over the first game. While a lot of the missions boil down to "an enemy took something you need, get it back), the way you interact with the environment is very detailed and I've actually been stumped once or twice which didn't happen much in the original. Collectibles are also hidden extremely well, so if you're not going to use an FAQ you're going to have to examine every single nook and cranny of the mansions.

- LM2 is, hands down, one of the most charming games I've ever played. A lot of people have said this but it really does give you a feel-good vibe and very rarely (if at all) do I finish a mission without a smile on my face. Tone-wise, it's more twee than the first game and feels more like a fun adventure than a trek through a horror-filled mansion, but this works to the game's benefit and I can't honestly say it's a downgrade from the first game. Rather, it makes LM2 stand out from its predecessor and makes me enjoy it all the more.

If I had to make a comparison of tone between the two games, I'd say LM1 is to Are You Afraid of the Dark? as LM2 is to Scooby Doo. Both are great in their own right, and I appreciate the change of pace since it suits a handheld experience all the more.

- Graphics and music are some of the best on the 3DS. Obviously it's not on the level of the Gamecube game, but the more cartoony aesthetic is gorgeous, and some of the music tracks are extremely atmospheric. Again though, it's more twee than the original so this is a point of contention, but I feel it works to the game's favour rather than bring it down.

- Multiplayer. It's like a Luigi version of Zelda: Four Swords, and I honestly enjoy it much more than Mario Kart 7. Especially on hard mode and up when things can honestly get pretty intense.

tl:dr version: A few technical hiccups aside, LM2 is a fantastic sequel and one of the best 3DS games out right now. I've clocked around 10+ hours so far (including multiplayer), and I'm only at the fourth mansion, so that should tell you something about the game in terms of length and value.

Pick it up if you can, you won't be disappointed.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My wallet is more sorry than you are.
I was entertained by your posts below in the review thread. Next time you should trust your inner voice...

This isn't a meltdown, this is a protest. I'm refusing to buy the game on the grounds that Nintendo took 12 years of development time and came up short by giving it to an American studio with no talent.

Who's with me?

Why bother? Nintendo already desecrated Luigi by giving it to these American idiots.

What are you woahing at? Next Level fucked it up, pure and simple. Why should I even entertain the idea of removing my avatar just because the game is shit?

Fuck this thread, fuck this game, fuck Nintendo.

peace

7/10

Seven. Out. Of. Ten.

How are you not getting this?

i knew nintendo should have developed it in house its all the americans fault

I'm sorry but I can't just imagine why would someone prefer the original Luigi's Mansion to this one. I can understand the complaints about the mission-structured system, but it's not big deal, though: the first LM also had locked rooms (plenty of them), specific keys for specific doors and save points located in determined places (Toads). So, when in the original LM you were more advanced in your exploration through a certain area of the mansion (remember it had four separated zones) the number of rooms you could explore was bigger, just like in this one. Dark Moon has even the advantage that in latter missions certain elements can have changed in past rooms, something that didn't happen in the first one.

In addition, the design of the puzles and rooms, the variety of situations, the quantity of content and secrets and the replayability value are way higher than in the original Luigi's Mansion. Personally I think that was a pretty mediocre product, while this is brilliant and imaginative.

Shahadan

Multiplayer has so many bugs though. I'm starting to dread each next floor, waiting to see which one of us will get cursed. It was me 3 times today, a different bug each time :lol:

XaosWolf

Multiplayer has so many bugs though. I'm starting to dread each next floor, waiting to see which one of us will get cursed. It was me 3 times today, a different bug each time :lol:

Oh? What other bugs have people encountered?

The only one I've encountered is the Red Coins remaining on the map after collection on some player's screen. (Leaving me running around a room looking for a non-existent coin)

Oh, and just in regards to multiplayer in general: GOSH DARN that tubby, yellow, door-blocking fellow. >=|

Shahadan

Oh? What other bugs have people encountered?

The only one I've encountered is the Red Coins remaining on the map after collection on some player's screen. (Leaving me running around a room looking for a non-existent coin)

Well I had :
-game freezing
-game crashing and bringing me back to home menu
-a player not moving during the whole floor. At first I thought they were doing something else and let the game turned on but I had the bug today. Black screen, only the Luigi quotes and the sound playing.
-a player beginning the floor outside the map, eventually being disconnected. Also happened from my point of view today
-the usual Nintendo Network disconnecting
-once a ghost didn't appear in a room, we eventually found out it was a violet goo one glitching and almost invisible since fused with the floor.
-also once we couldn't make hidden objects fully appear and ended up losing as one probably held the key. Might have been lag, though.

I think that should cover most of it.

People reported missing keys but I have not yet experienced that one.

XaosWolf

Well I had :
-game freezing
-game crashing and bringing me back to home menu
-a player not moving during the whole floor. At first I thought they were doing something else and let the game turned on but I had the bug today. Black screen, only the Luigi quotes and the sound playing.
-a player beginning the floor outside the map, eventually being disconnected. Also happened from my point of view today
-the usual Nintendo Network disconnecting
-once a ghost didn't appear in a room, we eventually found out it was a violet goo one glitching and almost invisible since fused with the floor.
-also once we couldn't make hidden objects fully appear and ended up losing as one probably held the key. Might have been lag, though.

I think that should cover most of it.

People reported missing keys but I have not yet experienced that one.

Alright, I've encountered these. Also had a weird thing where no one could Download my hosted game. They kept getting a connection error. Seemed to fix itself, luckily.

Well they could patch it. They won't, but they could. =P

GRW810

Only glitch I found so far was the mission music cut out once. All sound effects like doors opening and items clinking worked just fine. Actually made it even more eerie.

Zeroneo

Only glitch I found so far was the mission music cut out once. All sound effects like doors opening and items clinking worked just fine. Actually made it even more eerie.

The exact reverse happened to me. Sound effects stopped working while music kept playing. Was really weird.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I had the game freeze once in single player, but not multi. Main thing I've gotten is the red coin scramble music playing over itself but I don't think that's a big deal really. Sucks that the rest of you are getting more annoying problems :(

Korosenai

I had a glitch earlier where my game just completely froze and it kicked it me out to the 3DS home screen and said it was going to restart the 3DS. First time that has ever happened.

Kouichi

I had a glitch earlier where my game just completely froze and it kicked it me out to the 3DS home screen and said it was going to restart the 3DS. First time that has ever happened.

Had this happen twice to me when searching for games in multiplayer.

Finally found a copy, can't wait to start playing later. The worker at best buy said they have sold a ton of copies since release. At first I figured Nintendo under shipped but apparently it's selling we'll.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Almost done with Mansion 2 and I am seriously doubting I will play much more. The game just lot a lot of steam for me way too quickly.

I popped in the first game again and have to agree with the minority that the original IS still the better game. The new game adds a lot of content, but the ghost wrangling has not been nearly as intense(I rather dislike it compared to the original), the variety is lacking too. The ghosts just had a lot more personality and interesting ways to uncover their hiding places. I also miss the unconventional ghosts especially after revisiting. I have grown to dislike the mission-structure as well.

Berordn

I can't really agree that the new ghosts have any less character than the old ghosts, they definitely do a hell of a lot more and interact with Luigi and the world and objects more than any of the ones from the first game. They don't have terribly interesting designs, but they look like they're having more fun than the old ghosts.

The bosses are less interesting than the ones from LM1 and the mission structure isn't as fun as having free reign over the mansions, but the ghosts just do so much.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Feel so dumb. Can't find the Boo on A-2. You'd think for the second level it wouldn't be hard, but I feel I've looked everywhere and yet nothing.

Top Bottom