• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Is there a secret to knowing which staircases are the correct ones to go up? That shit's tedious.

Not sure if there's an easier way, but there will be no flames for a bit on the staircases that are correct, and you just kind of have memorize which ones. That's how I did it at least.

GeekyDad

Not sure if there's an easier way, but there will be no flames for a bit on the staircases that are correct, and you just kind of have memorize which ones. That's how I did it at least.

Yeesh. That's what I was afraid of. As you get up higher, it's more difficult to get up there in time to see what's what. Ah well, I'll work with what I've got.

As an aside, I'm not sure why, but the game's not quite grabbing me. I think very highly of it, and there's a lot to really love about it. Perhaps it's just my mood right now, but it's not really holding my attention.

Velcro Fly

Just beat mansion #3. That boss was brutal in some spots. Still managed to 3 star the stage though. Only missing one gem and two Boos.

As an aside, I know the Gamespot review got a lot of flak from people here, but I found myself pretty much penned in a corner unable to move or suck or anything against a certain type of enemy. I went from 50 health to 0 struggling to get free. Lucky for me I had a bone and was able to revive and eventually get free. Really awful feeling not being able to move and not being able to suck anything so you can't dodge. Just at the mercy of maybe being able to break free.

Mistle

Just finished the game.

Despite the glitches, the weird design decisions (padding due to not being able to quit out of missions after searching for missing gems etc.) and just the general issues with adapting the gameplay to the 3DS itself, I loved it.

As a sequel it's great, and as a game in and of itself it stands up there with the 3DS's best titles. I really hope we get a third game, but not until next generation. Wouldn't feel as special otherwise lol.
Honestly I'd love a new HD Wii U game, which follows more along the lines of the original (in terms of structure and atmosphere).

There's something about this game, man. I can't put it down. I feel like I'm seven or eight again with a N64 and Super Mario 64. Why is my girlfriend's nine year old brother playing Black Ops 2 and Red Dead Redemption when he could be playing this? Why did I abandon games like this so long ago? Playing Zelda: OoT (for the first time ever), Super Mario 3D Land, and Luigi's Manson 2 have made me realize I have been playing violent shooters for far too long. It's nice to get away from the violence.

I collected all amethysts and boos in the first mansion and I'm about to finish up the second mansion. This game rocks. Would have been nice to see some friends leaderboards, though.

george_us

Just finished the first mansion. So far this game has been absolutely wonderful. The level design is amazing and the presentation is extremely charming. May overtake Metal Gear Rising as my GOTY if it keeps being this awesome.

Bloody hell, do I buy this or Monster Hunter? Got 2 hours of travel a day, I think MH would be best for it but this game looks fun.

This first then MH. Not based on how good they are but you'll sink a lot of time into MH so its probably best to get through this first.

Have to say this game is quite wonderful. Basically why Nintendo are the Disney of the games industry. Their most cinematic game yet, so good.

Niraj

How does it work anyway? Is it random, with a bonus chance for each coin ?

Thats exactly how it works.

But like he said it seems to just fuck you, despite working hard for those coins.

Yup, that's it. In the long run, the more annoying part was that they didn't really know how to play the Poulterpup floors or get rid of curses, which ended up biting us in the ass around floor 22 :( oh well.

Kipe

Yup, that's it. In the long run, the more annoying part was that they didn't really know how to play the Poulterpup floors or get rid of curses, which ended up biting us in the ass around floor 22 :( oh well.

Are you playing with randoms? Set up a game on gaf.

Just an FYI, I haven't played much of Polterpup games!

Niraj

Are you playing with randoms? Set up a game on gaf.

I was earlier, yes. Just had some free time earlier in the day, so decided to play a round or so.

Just an FYI, I haven't played much of Polterpup games!

Well, basically at the start, use the darklight to find pawprints. You follow those and you'll find a doghouse that they're hiding in. After that, they'll run off to other rooms, and you follow the footprints to an object, press X, they'll pop up and you catch them like any other ghost. The game I was referring to, I had to find all of them myself -_-

Someone had mentioned that if you play the unlockable boo mission, you can get all of the gems there. Haven't tried it for myself.

Yup, I confirm this!!!!
Played my completed save game through the unlockable BOO mission at mansion 1 to 3 and I can get the hidden gems which is only available in spesific missions, all in one single run .

No need to guess in which mission these specific and rare gems are, just play the unloveable BOO mission to get them all..

Habieru

Neo Member
Mansion 5 Bug

Although he appears on the map, the purple Toad disappeared and now I can't finish E-2. Come on Nintendo, the game is great but is buggy as hell... :(

Roo

So how much this game has sold so far? I read in a blog it was around 350-400k only in Japan so I guess it should be around 800-850 worldwide. I guess it could hit the million mark by the end of this week :D

Beat the third boss earlier today and what a fucking stupid boss fight it was. I'm surprised I didn't die during the whole thing. Easily the most frustrating thing I've experienced in the game so far

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Although he appears on the map, the purple Toad disappeared and now I can't finish E-2. Come on Nintendo, the game is great but is buggy as hell... :(
Don't the Toads kind of respawn? Try going up the stairs and forcing it. Yes I know this is hours later.

Just seen the credits and overall I'd say it is an enjoyable game. Need to aim for the gems and boos now.

EDIT: And I guess I can check out the online mode as well now.

gerudoman

I also had a bug related with the Toad in the same room yesterday. I hoovered one of the Toads to carry it to the second floor faster, but it ended up floating in the air and I couldn't carry him with me again. To be honest, I think it's my fault for fooling around, but still...

I had to restart the mission, and it's been the longest one so far.

tsab

Finished the game late at night. I haven't swear so much before as I did on mansion
number 5

I just realised that Weegee is a plumber but
he doesn't do well with the plumpings. (toilet,fountain etc)
They gave him such nice animations.

GRW810

Just completed the fourth or fifth mission in the second mansion, can't remember which. The one with the dog at the end. Found a secret red coin level out of the blue. Is that the first one or have I missed any previously, in the first mansion for example?

StAidan

Just completed the fourth or fifth mission in the second mansion, can't remember which. The one with the dog at the end. Found a secret red coin level out of the blue. Is that the first one or have I missed any previously, in the first mansion for example?

I know of at least one prior to that in the second mansion, and one in the first.

NTom64

Honestly I'd love a new HD Wii U game, which follows more along the lines of the original (in terms of structure and atmosphere).

I'd like that, but the mission structure could be adapted to that formula quite well I think. Have a regular set of mansions that you complete like in LM1 and then have a bunch of unlockable missions.

Flesh out the multiplayer mode (more levels, different modes) and LM3 would be a winner.

I just beat this. I'm missing 3 boos and 3 gems in each mansion, I ended up with 16:36 on the clock. I actually feel that the game could have stood to be a couple missions longer in a few places, but it was really fantastic. :) That last boss though,
I was walking in circles for what seemed like 5 minutes before I figured out what to do. I was trying to roll the spike balls into King Boo. :p
I haven't really touched ScareScraper yet, but I did add my FC to the Google Doc. If you guys are gonna do some MP, lemme know!

Morts

I was loving this game until I hit a wall with
the fourth mansion boss. Am I missing something that makes the aiming easier? I keep running out of time.
Before that point I would've said this was the best game on 3DS.

Niraj

I was loving this game until I hit a wall with
the fourth mansion boss. Am I missing something that makes the aiming easier? I keep running out of time.
Before that point I would've said this was the best game on 3DS.

Just aim for the middle first, then you probably won't even have to move your cursor more than once, and just keep shooting. That's what I did at least

I'm honestly surprised that people are finding this boss so problematic (not trying to offend, genuinely surprised).

Bladenic

Just aim for the middle first, then you probably won't even have to move your cursor more than once, and just keep shooting. That's what I did at least

I'm honestly surprised that people are finding this boss so problematic (not trying to offend, genuinely surprised).

My only assumption as to why is people try to move the cursor when you should really keep it in one place (except for maybe the smaller middle parts) and time your shots.

NTom64

Yeah, I beat that boss on my second try. The only reason it took that long is because I didn't realise at first that it was timed lol. Don't panic, just time your shots and, like others have said, aim for the middle first and foremost.

That being said, while it's a cool boss in terms of concept, but I can see why people had a hard time with it. Penultimate and final bosses were pretty neat though, no complaints there.

ElRenoRaven

Man I really need to get back to playing the game. I've slacked this week. still have to beat the last two mansions. lol Probably start back tomorrow.

D-Pad

Because in that boss, (Manor D Boss spoilers) you have
two time-limits. One is your sleigh which is overheating because only god knows why and then you have where the boss himself reforms after a while
. This created so much unneeded pressure. Not to mention that even with the
3D enabled it was still hard (for me) to gauge the freak's distance to even time my shots well
. The first couple of time I did manage to
strip the ice armor
I couldn't for the life of me (or Luigi in this case)
get the damn bomb to go into its mouth
because you have to
aim up so the bombs bounced
which I didn't know.

It was just an unbelievably frustrating experience and I'm glad to be done with it.

In fact I've completed the game! Yay! Now I'm going back through and collecting everything.

Niraj

Because in that boss, (Manor D Boss spoilers) you have
two time-limits. One is your sleigh which is overheating because only god knows why and then you have where the boss himself reforms after a while
. This created so much unneeded pressure. Not to mention that even with the
3D enabled it was still hard (for me) to gauge the freak's distance to even time my shots well
. The first couple of time I did manage to
strip the ice armor
I couldn't for the life of me (or Luigi in this case)
get the damn bomb to go into its mouth
because you have to
aim up so the bombs bounced
which I didn't know.

It was just an unbelievably frustrating experience and I'm glad to be done with it.

In fact I've completed the game! Yay! Now I'm going back through and collecting everything.

All you need to do to shoot a bomb into his mouth is wait until he gets closer

D-Pad

All you need to do to shoot a bomb into his mouth is wait until he gets closer

EDIT: Manor D Boss spoilers below and above!
What? No way. I swear that didn't work for me. Unless
the first miss cancels out any following attempt (shoot a bomb, miss sound, monster is close by the time another bomb loads up, shoots again, miss sound, monster eats luigi)

Top Bottom