• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Can't right now, I have to go in 10 minutes :(
Another time maybe. I have you added already anyway:!

No worries man, some other time. I'm usually free between 11-3 EST on weekdays, so if you (or anyone else) wants to play, PM me or post here.

Mistle

Is there ever an unlockable or something that makes replaying levels more enjoyable? I find the idea of trying to 3 star a level in this game annoying due to having to take DS calls and constantly skip stuff. It just seems like a bad game to try and score attack but maybe i'm missing something?

Like the game though.
You can press start once e-gadd starts talking to skip the calls, if you didn't know already

NEO0MJ

Bought the game a couple of days ago and am now half-way through the second mansion. Don't regret putting a hat on my avatar at all.

My favorite Luigi animation was in the last mansion, 2nd floor bottom right room.

When you go to the room with a seemingly stuffed octopus on a coat rack I think it is... you interact with it and the Octopus slowly picks you up and slaps you. Luigi then backs off motionng that he wants no trouble Brilliant. I rarely ever laugh out loud to a game but this was definitely a moment i did.

tsab

My copy just arrived and I am at work atm. Do I have to finish story mode to unlock multiplayer to play with GAF? I haven't read the OP to avoid spoilers

Oersted

My copy just arrived and I am at work atm. Do I have to finish story mode to unlock multiplayer to play with GAF? I haven't read the OP to avoid spoilers

Beat the first mansion. As far as I remember not even completely, you don´t have to beat the boss for it.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
You just have to play through A-4 to unlock multiplayer. Basically it's when you get all your equipment.

Linius

Yep, I got it after A-4 yesterday. That's where I stopped playing but I really liked it up to that point. It's so much fun investigating all these rooms and secret spaces while catching ghosts. Already died once too...

Didn't know how to handle green ghosts with sunglasses at first :p

GeekyDad

Don't know why, but the game reminds me of an old-school Resident Evil game without the scares. I dig that. Kinda wish Resident Evil was more like this (with the scares, of course).

Did they have a different person designing each boss? The first one was amazing, probably above recent Zeldas, honestly.

Every one after that has been less and less interesting.

tsab

Don't know why, but the game reminds me of an old-school Resident Evil game without the scares. I dig that. Kinda wish Resident Evil was more like this (with the scares, of course).

Play the first one (LM) if you have the means. One of my favorite games on cube.

zroid

Banned
Did they have a different person designing each boss? The first one was amazing, probably above recent Zeldas, honestly.

Every one after that has been less and less interesting.

I think so. I know that Brian Davis had mentioned he designed the first boss, so I imagine this implies other people designed at least some of the others.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I found the fifth mansion to be a complete disappointment.
To have the first mission be yet another "chase the dog" mission, and then another "find the toad mission! but get this: there's two! WOW!". And one of the five missions is just a boss, and then the actual boss is just suits of armor that fall for the same trick they did in the level you met them on. And the "run around the mansion and suck up 50 ghosts" mission was lazy filler and not even challenging. The mansion itself was boring and uninspired after the amazing design of 2, 3, and 4. How could they follow up an overgrown twin tower mansion with a giant tree, a clockwork mansion with a sandy crypt, and a snowy mine mansion with....a regular mansion, with portals that take you like 2 rooms over :(

Actually, it was one of my favorite mansions. Disregarding the missions themselves, I loved the structure of the place. The first mission not even ENTERING it, and being this sprawling journey through the surrounding areas. And then the nature and relationship of the rooms inside. The real enjoyment in that level isn't just beating the missions, it's on mission 3, where you can get every single remaining gem. It's the GEMS that make that mansion excellent, and the way you have to bring things from room to room to make it work. They weren't particularly thrilling to find in the other mansions, but this final one is basically one huge puzzle for getting them all.

braves01

Banned
Finally got around to the last missions to beat the game. I really liked the final boss, it was a good mix of quick thinking and skill.

I also checked out Scarescraper for the first time and pulled off a first place finish in 10f hunter on normal. I appreciate the effort that went into it, but I probably won't play it too much unless it unlocks stuff in single player.

2nd boss was a disappointment, but my least favorite was definitely *5th mansion spoilers*
that damn boo train boss

tsab

Just fought the first boss, it was so epic. Very nice ideas in that battle.
I think I'll take break now from the story mode for some multi-weegee with gaf. Is there a community like MK7?

jonezer4

Not very pleased.

I got to Mission B2, and was most of the way done with it. I lost all of the sound, and then when I tried to press the Home button to see if that would fix it, the whole thing crashed.

Anyone else had issues with this? This is the first time ever my 3DS has crashed.

In the 3rd mansion, I believe 2nd level, I was about 80% of the way done when I entered a room and after it loaded, I was stuck in some object I obviously was never supposed to be in. Couldn't move and had to restart. That's been the only blemish on an otherwise awesome gaming experience for me.

Katzii

In the 3rd mansion, I believe 2nd level, I was about 80% of the way done when I entered a room and after it loaded, I was stuck in some object I obviously was never supposed to be in. Couldn't move and had to restart. That's been the only blemish on an otherwise awesome gaming experience for me.

How weird!

I replayed B2 today and didn't encounter the problem at all. I'm wondering if it is because I closed my 3DS XL at some point in time. It was aggravating since, like you, I was well on the way to beating the mission.

breakfuss

It seriously took me an hour to beat A4. And I only figured it out by accident, lol. Shameful, I know. At least now the scarescraper is open!!!!!!

FryHole

So, this finally arrived in the post yesterday. And christ almighty I love it. The animation is beautiful, the whole thing is drenched in atmosphere and I love the puzzle solving, room to room, almost point and click adventure nature of it. It's like a comedic Resident Evil, just wonderful. Even if Bravely Default never arrives in the UK (the title I was holding out for for a long time), 3DS XL purchase thoroughly justified.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I like your comedic Resident Evil comparison.

I just beat the 1st Boss and at that point, I gotta say this game is completely irresistible. The part in the elevator that precedes this fight made me laugh, which hasn't happened to me in a videogame in ages.

It was kinda dull in the first mansion. Solid, but nothing great. However, the game design really starts to pick up in the second mansion. Especially B1 & B2.

Since I picked up an XL I really start to notice the aliasing. It's fine in certain games (FE, Star Fox), but it's really distracting here. It's really a double edge sword. When the 3D is turned you get a better resolution, but horrid aliasing. But when you turn it off you have to deal with the washed out image.

This game would be a much better experience if it wasn't for the hardware.

Velcro Fly

Took me like 45 minutes to beat C-3

I didn't realize there was an elevator thing in the first room so I wasted a ton of time in the basement thinking there was something there. Also E. Gadd said something really vague that lead me to believe the problem could be solved by doing something in the basement.

I did manage to find a gem I had previously missed though. Also managed to fully upgrade my Poltergust finally.

With all the 3DS releases this year, I don't feel like I'm rushing through the game at all though. Definitely enjoying every second, even when puzzles frustrate the hell out of me when I miss something really obvious.

eXistor

I just beat the 1st Boss and at that point, I gotta say this game is completely irresistible. The part in the elevator that precedes this fight made me laugh, which hasn't happened to me in a videogame in ages.
For me it's just the insane attention to detail. The animation is top-notch and incredibly charming (expected no less, Punch-Out! on Wii had God-tier animations as well) and the game is just so full of little details that just make me smile. Just now in the third Mansion I encountered some loose wallpaper, after sucking it up it revealed coins in the form of a smiley-face. 2 missions later I sucked the same wallpaper again, normally, these secrets only work once, but this time the coins were back, this time in the form of a frowny-face! It's the little things, man.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Just started today and I'm already stuck on the first mansion trying to figure out how to take down cob webs. Ugh... I'm too tired after so much writing for class. The game looks beautiful and I love Luigi's animations.

zroid

Banned
So I haven't really been playing anything for the last week or so, but I've been sitting on it for awhile, so I decided to go ahead and start the second mansion...

...And all I can say is "wow". Thoroughly, thoroughly impressed with how many fun ideas were packed into a tight 30 minute stretch. And I didn't even find a single gem! I did get the Boo, however. :)

Anyway, I'm really starting to understand now where all the heaps of praise is coming from. That mission (B-1) was a joy to play from beginning to end. Awesome stuff. Call me crazy, but I can see where that reviewer who likened this game to a "platformer" is coming from. At its best, it really feels like one -- you get the same sense of bounding from one exciting piece of gameplay to the next, and it's great.

Still blown away by how good this game is. Nintendo have made me a firm believer in their products, after having largely missed their DS and Wii efforts.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah, I wonder if some of these bugs are directly connected to either version (DL/retail) of the game.

Anyway, the second mansion is really fun so far. I really dig the new mechanics. No bugs or issues so far (knock on wood).

I had the game crash on me.
second mansion. during the sisters.
I have a download copy of the game also.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, getting gold in every level is HARSH

currently at third mansion. This game is the bollocks. i haven't even touched Lego City.. just can't stop playing

NTom64

Just finished the game.

Despite the glitches, the weird design decisions (padding due to not being able to quit out of missions after searching for missing gems etc.) and just the general issues with adapting the gameplay to the 3DS itself, I loved it.

As a sequel it's great, and as a game in and of itself it stands up there with the 3DS's best titles. I really hope we get a third game, but not until next generation. Wouldn't feel as special otherwise lol.

breakfuss

Just finished the game.

Despite the glitches, the weird design decisions (padding due to not being able to quit out of missions after searching for missing gems etc.) and just the general issues with adapting the gameplay to the 3DS itself, I loved it.

As a sequel it's great, and as a game in and of itself it stands up there with the 3DS's best titles. I really hope we get a third game, but not until next generation. Wouldn't feel as special otherwise lol.

Yikes, there's no...free roam mode for the collectibles after you've cleared a mansion?! So, then...the best solution is to do the least taxing mission (but with nullify any unlocked portions of the mansion)?

NTom64

Yikes, there's no...free roam mode for the collectibles after you've cleared a mansion?! So, then...the best solution is to do the least taxing mission (but with nullify any unlocked portions of the mansion)?

Sadly you can't do that, there's certain gems that are specific to certain missions. A-3 for example is the only mission in Gloomy Manor where you can
examine the right-hand Knight, knock his head off and fire it at the portrait on the left to get a gem

It's annoying (especially so on the mini-games where you get ONE shot and then have to restart the mission if you fail), but at the very least you'll know the mansions inside and out once you've played through them. Best to keep an FAQ with you while you play through (the IGN Gems and Boos guide is brilliant in this regard).

breakfuss

Sadly you can't do that, there's certain gems that are specific to certain missions. A-3 for example is the only mission in Gloomy Manor where you can
examine the right-hand Knight, knock his head off and fire it at the portrait on the left to get a gem

It's annoying (especially so on the mini-games where you get ONE shot and then have to restart the mission if you fail), but at the very least you'll know the mansions inside and out once you've played through them. Best to keep an FAQ with you while you play through (the IGN Gems and Boos guide is brilliant in this regard).

Really? Still LOVE this game, but

tumblr_m8hzcorfr11qdouo7.gif

zroid

Banned
Someone had mentioned that if you play the unlockable boo mission, you can get all of the gems there. Haven't tried it for myself.

Top Bottom