• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
What? No way. I swear that didn't work for me. Unless
the first miss cancels out any following attempt (shoot a bomb, miss sound, monster is close by the time another bomb loads up, shoots again, miss sound, monster eats luigi)

Couldn't say lol. I didn't miss :p

Grisby

That 4th boss can suck it geez. Haven't really liked any of them.

Last mansion seems really cool. Game is nice in 3D but turning it off makes it look even better. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with a 3DS.

D-Pad

That 4th boss can suck it geez. Haven't really liked any of them.

Last mansion seems really cool. Game is nice in 3D but turning it off makes it look even better. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with a 3DS.

The only time i turn 3d off is when I'm with e. gadd in between stages which has a nasty ghosting effect otherwise. The 3d looks great otherwise, and i can't see myself playing without it.

Dunno why, but the third boss seemed a little cinematic, and I loooooooooooooved it.

Loved. It.

As soon as I get my Pikachu 3DS XL back from da repair shop, I'm getting to catching all the Boos and completing the extra missions.

Grisby

The only time i turn 3d off is when I'm with e. gadd in between stages which has a nasty ghosting effect otherwise. The 3d looks great otherwise, and i can't see myself playing without it.
My eyes don't like the long strain and there's a the matter of using the gyro aiming which produces a crosstalk/messed up image. It's pretty good 3D but I think it gains some AA with it off. Everything looks sharper and smoother.

I don't keep it off all the time and switch back here and there.

Pikma

Banned
Just played the first few minutes with my bf and my god, this game has one of the best first impressions I've got from any game in the last few years. It clicked with me instantly. Loving it♥

First real complaint for me is that 4th boss……I'm having to quit and restart over and over. Not Fun.

Is there some rhyme and reason to how to reliably hit the damn thing?

Edit: aaaand had to restart once again…not like this Luigi's Mansion…not like this ;-(

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
First real complaint for me is that 4th boss……I'm having to quit and restart over and over. Not Fun.

Is there some rhyme and reason to how to reliably hit the damn thing?

There's a bunch of spoiler marked conversation about it a few posts before yours. Basically though,
shoot the middle pieces first, then just keep your cursor on a spot that can hit the bottom of it and keep firing. When there are less pieces left, you just need to time it

There's a bunch of spoiler marked conversation about it a few posts before yours. Basically though,
shoot the middle pieces first, then just keep your cursor on a spot that can hit the bottom of it and keep firing. When there are less pieces left, you just need to time it

That's exactly what I've started doing haha

It does work alot better though I'm still having trouble with that third phase.

now I can't seem to reliably
get it in his mouth
:-(

I didn't think I could reach loathing……..I want to forget this part of the game exists. This officially ends my complaining ;-)

Final edit: Finally won. I feel dazed. Headachy and listless….and only 2 fucking stars. ha

I'm at the end of mansion E-2 and one of my toads disappeared after the fight. Is this a glitch? Do I need to start the longest and most boring level in the entire game all over again?

GeekyDad

Man, this is a really good game with some pretty annoying things going on. It kinda suffers from similar things that some of the GCN-era Nintendo games suffered from. For me, the two most annoying things are E Gadd and the fact you can't simply revisit chapters to collect stuff without actually doing the missions therein. I really thought E Gadd would stfu after the first couple of chapters, but no such luck. He makes Navi seem like a mute.

But it really is a pretty damn good game otherwise. They steadily introduce neat little things to do, although many of the enemy encounters are gratuitous to say the least.

Rran

I just finished the Mansion 4 Boss. I've been highly critical of the bosses other than the spider, but.....THIS was the hard boss everyone was bitching about? I finished it in 3 minutes on my second try with 3 stars, and had fun doing it. My first try was spent figuring out what the heck was going on and dying because I took too long to catch on lol, but once I figured it out I thought it was a nice battle. Plus, the boss reminded me of the Nome King in Return to Oz lol
hahha, this was my reaction, too! I actually stopped playing last night just before the boss (beat him only a few minutes ago), because I didn't want to go to bed all pissed off lol. I actually kind of enjoyed it (at least moreso than the previous 2 bosses)--it was pretty entertaining XD

GRW810

I know of at least one prior to that in the second mansion, and one in the first.
Oh great, another reason to return to previous levels. Thought I was done with the first mansion after going back again and again for gems and boos. Already sunk ten hours into this game and I haven't even beaten the second mansion yet.

Not that I'm complaining, its absolutely fantastic.

Rran

There's something about this game, man. I can't put it down. I feel like I'm seven or eight again with a N64 and Super Mario 64. Why is my girlfriend's nine year old brother playing Black Ops 2 and Red Dead Redemption when he could be playing this? Why did I abandon games like this so long ago? Playing Zelda: OoT (for the first time ever), Super Mario 3D Land, and Luigi's Manson 2 have made me realize I have been playing violent shooters for far too long. It's nice to get away from the violence.

I collected all amethysts and boos in the first mansion and I'm about to finish up the second mansion. This game rocks. Would have been nice to see some friends leaderboards, though.
This... oh my god, so much this. I seriously love, love, love this game. I don't know how Nintendo does it, but they manage to distill "fun" into so many different cartridges/ discs, it's insane.

CaVaYeRo

Beat it yesterday, after 18 hours (no MP, just replayed some missions for fun/money/Boos).

Instant classic right here, guys. Almost perfect puzzle adventure IMO. We don't get many of this games lately - buybuybuy!

EDIT: my only complaints aren't gameplay related really: jaggies and some technical issues, not usual on Nintendo games, but this game is huuuge :)

I was finally able to track down a copy of this last night! It's a pretty fun game! I never got into the first Luigi's Mansion, so this is totally new to me.

For any Canadian players with the bilingual version: Did you get an english instruction pamphlet with your copy? Mine only came with a french one. :(

DaBoss

I was finally able to track down a copy of this last night! It's a pretty fun game! I never got into the first Luigi's Mansion, so this is totally new to me.

For any Canadian players with the bilingual version: Did you get an english instruction pamphlet with your copy? Mine only came with a french one. :(

I didn't get it retail, but others did and they said they got a French one only too.

Just started plaything this today, there was a bit early on where the ambient sound completely disappeared but came back again a few minutes later, is this something that happens again?

Other than that loving it so far!

I just started playing this today also. Only a few missions in, but really enjoying it. The amount of stuff you can interact with makes it a joy to play. You can tell a lot of love went into the game.

For example, I was cleaning up an area of a kitchen, and I released a bat. The bat flew at me, and I thought I was under attack as what usually happens. Then it quickly circled around, and it ran into the stove and incinerated. Just a tiny moment that has no reason to be in the game except the devs probably thought it was funny.

dwu8991

Banned
I just started playing this today also. Only a few missions in, but really enjoying it. The amount of stuff you can interact with makes it a joy to play. You can tell a lot of love went into the game.

For example, I was cleaning up an area of a kitchen, and I released a bat. The bat flew at me, and I thought I was under attack as what usually happens. Then it quickly circled around, and it ran into the stove and incinerated. Just a tiny moment that has no reason to be in the game except the devs probably thought it was funny.

Luigi humming in tune to the beat was pretty cool!

StAidan

Beat the second mansion boss today. Definitely a letdown in comparison with the first. Funny thing is, it was actually a pretty creative idea, but it translated into merely boring gameplay.

Oh well. On to mansion 3!

Grisby

Luigi and pulterpup for lyfe.

Beat it. Outside of the bosses I had a damn good time. I had some control issues with the finicky gyro targeting and Luigi being slow as hell but it never became too much of a frustration.

I like the atmosphere of the game. It's kinda crazy to come off of Castlevania Mirror of Fate and still be exploring coffin laden mansions. Completely different tone for a Mario game and I loved it.

Be cool if they did another and maybe had the pulterpup as a companion having him go through walls or something to help solve puzzles. Better than those bastard Toads anyways.

Is there a secret to knowing which staircases are the correct ones to go up? That shit's tedious.

Not sure if there's an easier way, but there will be no flames for a bit on the staircases that are correct, and you just kind of have memorize which ones. That's how I did it at least.

I haven't been in this thread in a while so I don't know if this is useful at this point, but I did a (really rough) note of the stairs as I climbed them (circles being the correct stair; start from the bottom up). I really hope this isn't randomized. :lol

http://i.imgur.com/Dqi04sA.png

Finished it just 10 minutes ago. Outside of that Secret Mine boss, it was a really fun ride for me. Definitely my new favorite 3DS game.

Lunar15

I like this game, it's very charming and the puzzles are interesting.

That being said, the mission structure kills all momentum for me. It's not a game I can keep playing for a while.

dwu8991

Banned
Anyone else hankering for more vacume cleaning games ?

I personally love' doing the vacume cleaning at home, so why shouldn't vacume games get their own subgenre !

dwu8991

Banned
I like this game, it's very charming and the puzzles are interesting.

That being said, the mission structure kills all momentum for me. It's not a game I can keep playing for a while.

Ahh, but it has a ton of replay value once you go back and discover all the hidden gems !

Watching the credits now. It was a great game. Some lame boss battles and the filler content were unfortunate, but it met my expectations.

There's a surprising amount of content. Not sure I'll touch multiplayer, but I'll definitely go back for the gems and boos I missed.

GeekyDad

Mansion 3 is the best so far. Definitely digging where this is going. But I will admit to being distracted by my anticipation for Soul Hackers. Finding it difficult to focus on this game more and more.

Finally 100% done with the single-player! Man, what a great game. Easily better than the first Luigi's Mansion... which I guess means that this makes my top 5 list best games ever. =D

Anyone wanna play some Scarescraper? I still need that last medal before I really 100% this game, so I'm going to be doing a lot of ghost catching there.

Draconian

Got 2 stars on the 4th boss because
it rammed me on the last phase because I unknowingly went into one of the corners with ice and couldn't go anywhere.
Feels bad man.

protonion

Almost done with the game.

I'm torn. Parts of it are great while others are really bad.

I love the exploration, puzzles and all the little details.
However the ghost hunting/sucking part just sucks. For something that you have to do so often it's unacceptable. It's not fun at all.

Online is ok.

Hale-XF11

So as someone who totally dug the concept of the original game but found it too easy and short, how does this one hold up?

I find the story mode in Dark Moon to be easy, but much longer.

The multi-player portion leaves a lot to be desired, considering the lack of voice chat or being able to join games already in session. Communication feels crucial with other players, but 5 different pre-determined shouts don't really cut it. There are also no online leader boards or Streetpass, which this game would have benefited from greatly in order to add more longevity to the experience. On top of it all, I'm finding it really hard to connect to other players' lobbies. I guess as expected, Nintendo still lags behind in offering basic online features and functionality on a consistent basis and that's especially true with this game.

All that being said, it's a fun game for what it is. If you're looking for a challenge, story mode doesn't offer varying difficulties, but multi-player is considerably more challenging, if frustrating due to the lack of standard online features.

Top Bottom