• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Foov

So I need some advice/opinions: my employer recently gave me a macbook to use as my work computer, it’s essentially mine and mine alone as long as I remain employed. Of course they’ve locked it down and I have no admin privileges, can’t install anything, apply updates, etc. They use that self service app I’ve seen before to allow us to install only what they want, and they are incredibly slow and behind. I really want to install dropbox on the computer, so I have quick and useful access to all of my work documents, and basically make the computer worthwhile for me to use. Until now I’d just been using my personal macbook pro. But they won’t install dropbox for anyone. And I don’t like using it solely through the browser. Now I know that it’s incredibly easy to trick a mac into installing a new admin account, from which I could then give myself admin privileges, but I’m debating whether I should or shouldn’t. I’d imagine that they’d have no way of knowing what I did, but am not completely sure that a red flag somehow won’t pop up somewhere? Even if I was caught I’m not that worried about any serious consequences, but I also don’t want to stir up trouble for myself. So… make the computer useful? Or new paperweight?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So I need some advice/opinions: my employer recently gave me a macbook to use as my work computer, it’s essentially mine and mine alone as long as I remain employed. Of course they’ve locked it down and I have no admin privileges, can’t install anything, apply updates, etc. They use that self service app I’ve seen before to allow us to install only what they want, and they are incredibly slow and behind. I really want to install dropbox on the computer, so I have quick and useful access to all of my work documents, and basically make the computer worthwhile for me to use. Until now I’d just been using my personal macbook pro. But they won’t install dropbox for anyone. And I don’t like using it solely through the browser. Now I know that it’s incredibly easy to trick a mac into installing a new admin account, from which I could then give myself admin privileges, but I’m debating whether I should or shouldn’t. I’d imagine that they’d have no way of knowing what I did, but am not completely sure that a red flag somehow won’t pop up somewhere? Even if I was caught I’m not that worried about any serious consequences, but I also don’t want to stir up trouble for myself. So… make the computer useful? Or new paperweight?

What kind of position are you in? Assuming you're not some entry-level grunt, and you've been hired because of your experience/education/who you are, I can't imagine they would get mad even if they did find out. Especially if when they do catch you, you say it's to make accessing your work files easier.

Foov

What kind of position are you in? Assuming you're not some entry-level grunt, and you've been hired because of your experience/education/who you are, I can't imagine they would get mad even if they did find out. Especially if when they do catch you, you say it's to make accessing your work files easier.

I work in education, so no, I'm not worried about being fired. It's more likely that I would have to deal with a bunch of grievances filed against me, for subverting the tech staffs jobs, etc.

Thanks for the answers guys.

If you game in your rMBP or do video encoding will it throttle itself?

the sandybridge MBP 15 would do that after a couple of hours. ive heard various sources. some people claim extreme temperatures but others claim that the heat and cooling is much better even when using both the cpu and gpu to the max.

i just wonder if this will be an issue. it would suck playing a game or doing editing and then after a few hours the cpu just downclocks itself to half speed to lower high internal temps.

TUSR

Banned
Thanks for the answers guys.

If you game in your rMBP or do video encoding will it throttle itself?

the sandybridge MBP 15 would do that after a couple of hours. ive heard various sources. some people claim extreme temperatures but others claim that the heat and cooling is much better even when using both the cpu and gpu to the max.

i just wonder if this will be an issue. it would suck playing a game or doing editing and then after a few hours the cpu just downclocks itself to half speed to lower high internal temps.

I've been playing a lot of games recently and have experienced no slow downs after a few hours of play time. I haven't touched encoding or anything yet, so no experience.

But as far as the thermal system goes, its leaps and bounds about previous models.

Izick

Not sure. I mean I got the worse panel and SSD, but I don't know if they're really that much worse than the other options. That click could become annoying after a while, but it doesn't happen all that frequently.

I just don't know what to do to be honest about it.

TUSR

Banned
Not sure. I mean I got the worse panel and SSD, but I don't know if they're really that much worse than the other options. That click could become annoying after a while, but it doesn't happen all that frequently.

I just don't know what to do to be honest about it.

explain?

Bruiserk

My friend is in the market for a new laptop which needs final cut pro so he is forced to get a macbook. How well does FCP work on the new 13" Macbook Pro?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can't decide if I'm going to take it back over the "clicking" issue or not.
Take it to the store and simply ask if it's something to worry about. Simple as that. Unless your closest Apple Store is an hour away. Where did you get it again? Either way, I think you could take it to an Apple Store and have them take a look. It's really up to you.

There's a path you take and a path not taken. The choice is up to you, my friend.

My friend is in the market for a new laptop which needs final cut pro so he is forced to get a macbook. How well does FCP work on the new 13" Macbook Pro?

better than on any laptop without a dedicated graphics card before, but probably not as great as on the 15" or the Retina.

Bonus points if he gets it with an SSD.

Izick

Take it to the store and simply ask if it's something to worry about. Simple as that. Unless your closest Apple Store is an hour away. Where did you get it again? Either way, I think you could take it to an Apple Store and have them take a look. It's really up to you.

There's a path you take and a path not taken. The choice is up to you, my friend.

I got it from the closest Best Buy, which is 30-45 minutes away. Not sure if that still works the same or not.

Bruiserk

better than on any laptop without a dedicated graphics card before, but probably not as great as on the 15" or the Retina.

Bonus points if he gets it with an SSD.

Well, no offense but all of that seems pretty obvious.

Does anyone have any experience with that particular setup?

Izick

Not sure if I should call Best Buy, Apple or what. I have a 30 day return policy through BB and a year long warranty with Apple. Not sure if BB would try and see what's wrong or if I'd just get an exchanged one.

Dreaver

Fucking hell, I am annoyed. A few weeks ago I posted about the cracking sound my left speaker makes.
I brought my Macbook to the Apple Store, they repaired it (they replaced the left speaker) and checked it they said, picked it up and just came home. Guess what? The fucking annoying cracking sound is still there (I have a specific song I use to hear it because the sound is very obvious there).

So anyone has any tips what to do/what it could be? It's annoying as fuck because I NEED my Macbook for school and it was already a disaster a few days without.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really really want a super fast ultra portable 1TB or more HDD/SSD that connects via either Thunderbolt or USB3. I found this...

http://buffalotech.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?vcode=PGBFT&partnum=HDPA10TU3

By Buffalo. But on NewEgg there aren't that many reviews and a few said it died after a month.

I watched a review by Blunty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh-1whWlbDc

Who said he loves the damn thing and has had no problems, of course he probably had it a week at most.

Anandtech said it can be opened with some force but isn't meant to be, but still you could replace the drive if you need to.

It's HDD based though but is still pretty fast, but not as fast as a SSD would be. But then again, an SSD based one would be twice the price for half the storage. So I'd settle for HDD if it were fast enough. Seeing as USB2 is just so slow and that's what I'm used to, I guess anything would be better.

I had a Western Digital Elements portable drive and it's shit. Pure shit. Overheating slow freezing worse than Hitler shit.

So I want to get something light that I can literally keep plugged in and attach to the back of my screen on my air and just keep it as an always there extra expansion.

Shame Thunderbolt peripherals are taking so long to come out. I'd love just a case with Thunderbolt and USB3/2 for fallback that I could put a drive in myself. Or at least one that is easy to open if I have to replace it myself later.

idwl

I don't know where else to ask this , so I apologize in advance if its the wrong thread.

Anyway what is the best free program to convert my ripped dvds into mp4s for the ipad?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So, uh, I walked into the Apple Store at lunch.

An hour later, I walked out with a fully loaded rMBP. MY FIRST MAC!! I'm so excited!

Ambitious

Just a few minutes ago, for the second time today my screen just got black when I logged into OS X after restarting/booting, instead of the desktop being zoomed in. It didn't seem to have crashed, as the volume change sounds were played when I pressed the buttons. But apart from this I couldn't do anything, I had to kill it.
It's an rMBP on 10.8, anyone had the same problem?

Just a few minutes ago, for the second time today my screen just got black when I logged into OS X after restarting/booting, instead of the desktop being zoomed in. It didn't seem to have crashed, as the volume change sounds were played when I pressed the buttons. But apart from this I couldn't do anything, I had to kill it.
It's an rMBP on 10.8, anyone had the same problem?

That sounds like the known issue that a lot of us are having.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4143957?start=75&tstart=0

Korosenai

I asked in this thread earlier about boot camp vs. parallels, and went ahead and got parallels (Parallels 8 for $40 with a student discount).

I absolutely love it. So awesome. Ubuntu is pretty cool, first time i've ever used it.

Izick

I asked in this thread earlier about boot camp vs. parallels, and went ahead and got parallels (Parallels 8 for $40 with a student discount).

I absolutely love it. So awesome. Ubuntu is pretty cool, first time i've ever used it.

Ubuntu is great! I really liked it as an OS, although I'm not sure I would main it like I used to.

------

So, going to call or just go to Best Buy tomorrow, I think I have a 30 Day warranty, so I still have a bunch of time left. I'm kind of sad that I'm going to have to exchage my Air, as it seems to be trouble free besides the squeak.

On a related note, is there any way to tell what Airs have what parts? Meaning which airs have LG or Samsung screens, or Toshiba or Samsung SSD's? I mean, before I buy it that is. Do newer Airs carry one instead of the other, or is it just chance?

Does anyone know what else I need to install an SSD in place of the optical drive in my late 2009 iMac? 21.5 inch model. Is there anyway to DIY without a SuperDrive SSD caddy? I'm kinda on a tight (broke ass student) budget here. And I'm reading I may need a SATA cable adapter if I'm using the optical drive spot. What is the cable called exactly?

Also, a cheap or DIY way to put the removed
SuperDrive into an external USB enclosure for the very rare occasion I may need to use it.

Thanks!

Izick

Damn, that was fast. It clicks whenever I put it on a solid surface and I apply pressure anywhere, including the trackpad, like consistently. Almost every time. Damn that's annoying.

I usually don't use it on a solid surface, so I'm glad I noticed it when I did.

I don't know where else to ask this , so I apologize in advance if its the wrong thread.

Anyway what is the best free program to convert my ripped dvds into mp4s for the ipad?
Actually, MP4 tools works better. It just repackages the already-encoded video and is therefore much faster and better quality to boot. Between that and its companion app MKV tools, you can make most of the standard video file types work on any iDevice or a PS3 or Xbox 360 as well without having to re-encode if it was in x264 already.

Izick

Is there any way to tell what Airs have what parts? Meaning which airs have LG or Samsung screens, or Toshiba or Samsung SSD's? I mean, before I buy it that is. Do newer Airs carry one instead of the other, or is it just chance?

Anyone know an answer to this? Going to go to BB to exchange my creaky Air in a few hours.

Quadratic

Did something stupid last night and spilled a drink (beer) over half my 13.3" 2011 Macbook Air keyboard. I'm not going to bother trying to fix it. I got a quote for $1300 which is more than buying a new one. Okay, my question is how much can I ask on craigslist for it to part out? I was thinking ~400 CDN. Does that sound reasonable? Expensive lesson learned.

Did something stupid last night and spilled a drink (beer) over half my 13.3" 2011 Macbook Air keyboard. I'm not going to bother trying to fix it. I got a quote for $1300 which is more than buying a new one. Okay, my question is how much can I ask on craigslist for it to part out? I was thinking ~400 CDN. Does that sound reasonable? Expensive lesson learned.
I was able to exchange my (past 14 days old) MacBook Air at the Apple Store after spilling mango juice on it. I was probably just lucky, but no reason not to try it yourself with something so damn expensive.

Izick

A few Questions:

What's the easiest way to completely wipe my SSD?

Should I back anything up if I barely had anything on there to begin with? Is Time Capsule related to the computer or like to an online account?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
My god I love this thing. The screen is just mind-blowing.

RKkhV.jpg

2.7ghz quad core (3.7ghz with turbo)
16GB RAM
768GB SSD
retina display
nvidia GeForce GT 650M gpu

I need some sort of "Mac 101" class. Google has been my friend so far. I just figured out how to cut & paste!

Does anyone know what else I need to install an SSD in place of the optical drive in my late 2009 iMac? 21.5 inch model. Is there anyway to DIY without a SuperDrive SSD caddy? I'm kinda on a tight (broke ass student) budget here. And I'm reading I may need a SATA cable adapter if I'm using the optical drive spot. What is the cable called exactly?

Also, a cheap or DIY way to put the removed
SuperDrive into an external USB enclosure for the very rare occasion I may need to use it.

Thanks!

Anyone?

I'm mostly now just trying to figure out what SATA cable/adapter I need to buy to connect my SSD in place of the optical drive. Apparently the optical drive uses a different type of SATA connection to the motherboard than the internal hard drive does.

Has no one here ever put an SSD in an iMac themselves?

Edit: nvm figured it out on my own again! Lol

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Do you really not use anything?
Common sense and keep an eye on the blogs. If something comes along, it will be known about.

If you are still unsure just don't use Java or Flash (As those are the two sources of every single Trojan that shows up on the Mac side) and turn on Gatekeeper and only use Apple approved apps. It's as simple as that.

Common sense and keep an eye on the blogs. If something comes along, it will be known about.

If you are still unsure just don't use Java or Flash (As those are the two sources of every single Trojan that shows up on the Mac side) and turn on Gatekeeper and only use Apple approved apps. It's as simple as that.

Thanks! I knew MAC viruses were a big deal when they actually happen but I didn't know people didn't need any antivirus software.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thanks! I knew MAC viruses were a big deal when they actually happen but I didn't know people didn't need any antivirus software.
OS X does a lot to protect you if you use its features. And the rest is to just be aware of tech blogs and use common sense. Never download an app you are unsure is well known from a website that looks suspicious. Mac citizens are good people. We make good apps. If an app is good, you will hear about it. Or we will tell you about it here.

Generally, you can only infect your Mac if you do it yourself. A lot of apps, even legit ones, will require a password to use so the OS knows it can do certain things. This is the only way the bad ones can get through. If you are unsure an app is safe, just Google about it.

Also, only use Java for things you know are legit. For me, the only Java I use is Minecraft and CrashPlan.

And use a browser that includes its own Flash like Chrome, or use Safari which makes sure Flash is current or doesn't let it run at all. (Though this has caused a problem for a lot of ML users in which Safari wrongly marked Flash as old and out of date because there were two versions included.) I use Chrome. It includes the current safe version of Flash and keeps replacing it whenever an update comes out.

Flash and Java are the two offenders malware people will use. They will make installers for their trojans that act like Flash installers or use Java exploits.

If you use a browser that doesn't have its own Flash, make sure your Flash is up to date MANUALLY by checking the web site when you see an alert and downloading directly from Adobe. Flash has an auto-update system, but Trojan makers are getting crafty and you never know when you might meet a trojan installer that looks just like Adobe's own unique installer alert. So just go to Adobe and download it yourself.

Apple keeps Java off your system by default and will only install and keep it up to date for you if you ask it to the first time you try to run something with Java. Like Minecraft or CrashPlan.

Common sense. Virus software for OS X is bloated and horrible and completely unnecessary. Don't use it. It's just there to make the Virus Scanner companies more money for their pockets. All it takes is a little Googling and making sure you're always updated.

Oh, and BTW, "MAC" is a cosmetics company. "Mac" is a shorthand for Macintosh. "Mac" is what we're using.

Top Bottom