• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

DMczaf

Oh god I'm a first time Mac owner, damn you Best Buy. I needed a laptop for grad school, and this deal comes up, and it was too good to pass up. I have a Mac, wtf.

I got a 13 inch Macbook Air (128gb model). How long does it take to get the free Mountain Lion download?

I ended up returning it and getting a 64GB iPad instead. I loved the Macbook Air, but I just wanted something more mobile for what I want to use it for. When I go hunting for a laptop again, I won't be able to settle for anything less than a Macbook Air though. Just from the 1-2 days of using it I was VERY impressed.

Hi guys
I just bought an Airport express and was thinking about hooking up some speakers to it. Is there an app or something I could use to push my audio from my Mac to the Airplay attached speakers?

Mairu

I've thought about it. It would be great if I could do that in addition to the hard drive. Apparently you can buy something where you can remove the DVD drive and put an SSD in there. I'm kind of looking into that.

I mean I do need a good bit of space. I'm not completely regretting my decision or anything, I still really like it. It was admittedly jarring to go from my desktop being extremely snappy starting up to laptop.

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

When my sister still had MBP, she ended up going this route. Might be able to find a cheaper one on eBay or somewhere, but I would definitely do that if I were you. Who really uses optical media anyways?

bionic77

A shrunken miniaturized Mac Mini with the same Flash memory, RAM and processor as the Air would be the most perfect dream. I'd even buy a 64GB model if they made the baseline $500 again.
IAWTP 200%. Especially on price. I was turned off when they increased the price.

Though I think that subsection of the mini audience is really small. The Air is now the computer used to introduce people to macs. And 500 for the Mini makes no sense when that is the price for an iPad.

Izick

Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to figure out what information I need to give to get my free Mountain Lion upgrade. Unfortunately I was super excited after unboxing and starting up my Air, and I didn't fill in any of the info that happens at the beginning of the startup. I remember them giving me the option to make a .me email I think, and I'm wondering if I can still do that now, do I need that for the free ML upgrade? Any help is appreciated.

Anybody, please?

Izick

So I'm not sure how they update stuff, do I need to do a clean install, or just update it over my new install of Lion, or what?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm not sure how they update stuff, do I need to do a clean install, or just update it over my new install of Lion, or what?
You have a brand new machine, don't stress on a clean install. After you get your ML code just redeem it from the App Store, and run the ML installer. Easy peasy

Izick

You have a brand new machine, don't stress on a clean install. After you get your ML code just redeem it from the App Store, and run the ML installer. Easy peasy

Cool. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. Can't wait!

njean777

IAWTP 200%. Especially on price. I was turned off when they increased the price.

Though I think that subsection of the mini audience is really small. The Air is now the computer used to introduce people to macs. And 500 for the Mini makes no sense when that is the price for an iPad.

Could be used for a cheap iOS development computer if one doesn't want to buy a laptop...

Tabris

Any issue with Airport Express Extreme (or whatever that higher model is called) and the following devices:

- Windows 7 HTPC - wired connection
- PS3 Wireless
- Xbox 360 Wireless
- PSP and PSP Vita (will be buying one once I see a good deal) Wireless
- Nintendo Wii Wireless
- Guest laptops (when friends come over, does this router have a "guest mode" that just gives them internet access but no network access?)

I'll just assume it's perfect for my macbook pro retina, Apple TV, iPad and iPhone.

Bradach

Is it folly to hope for an iMac update at the upcoming conference? My MacBook screen is faulty so I think it's time to get an iMac. The iPad and iMac combo would cover all my computing needs nicely!

Any issue with Airport Express Extreme (or whatever that higher model is called) and the following devices:

- Windows 7 HTPC - wired connection
- PS3 Wireless
- Xbox 360 Wireless
- PSP and PSP Vita (will be buying one once I see a good deal) Wireless
- Nintendo Wii Wireless
- Guest laptops (when friends come over, does this router have a "guest mode" that just gives them internet access but no network access?)

I'll just assume it's perfect for my macbook pro retina, Apple TV, iPad and iPhone.

I can only speak for Windows 7 and PS3, but it works fine with those, and I can't imagine having any problems with the other consoles. Not sure about a guest mode.

Personally I think the Extreme's a really great device, I've never had any problems in the year or so that I've had one.

Is it folly to hope for an iMac update at the upcoming conference? My MacBook screen is faulty so I think it's time to get an iMac. The iPad and iMac combo would cover all my computing needs nicely!

An iMac revision is probably coming soon, but I don't think it's going to be at the upcoming event. I haven't really kept up, though, so newer rumors might be different, but I remember hearing something about an October announcement/release?

Follow-up to my issue from last page, MBA not going to sleep instantly: Seems like it was Chrome's fault. Going to sleep was instantaneous when Chrome wasn't running, and took like 20 seconds when it was running.

Did some digging, removed the Google Calendar and Drive offline apps from Chrome: Laptop now goes to sleep instantly. Weird! Luckily i don't actually need those offline apps.

Majine

Banned
After about 2 weeks with my new MBA, I have to say: The multi touch gestures have taken over me more than I anticipated. Keep swiping three fingers up all the time to switch windows.

Izick

so the one you linked is the same year... but has twice the RAM and he would get Mountain Lion with it. But it is refurbished.

would both have the same warranty?

Yeah, they both would have a one year warranty. Or at least you definitely get a 1 year warranty for the refurbed one, I'm not sure about the one you linked. It wouldn't be more than a single year in any case though, unless specified.

------

Could anyone answer my previous question?

RBH

so the one you linked is the same year... but has twice the RAM and he would get Mountain Lion with it. But it is refurbished.

would both have the same warranty?

Apple refurbished products include the same 1 year warranty and are quite a nice deal because they're basically new products that have undergone more testing through Apple in order to ensure that it can be sold. Combine that with the money you'll be saving and it's definitely worth looking into.

Izick

What browser(s) do you all use? Chrome seems to be just as good on here, but I think I'm going to give Safari a shake.

Questions. Questions that wants answers;

1) People talk about Scrolling lag on rMBP. That it is a combination of massive performance hits from the CPU, having to move 4x times the amount of pixels as usual. They talk about it being a software issue, but supposedly there is a Chrome version that fixes it?

My question is. If you decide that you want the retina for the weight, the portability and all the other benefits, but does not care about the retina in and of itself (if the tradeoff is lag in Itunes, Mission control, Firefox and so on...) can you reduce the resolution to the default one. If 1680 x 1050 is set, will the display look blurry or washed out? can it look perfectly fine at this?

2) Some people talk about not getting a retina MBP because it's first generation tech. Never get the first revision. But is that always true? After all, wasn't sandybridge a slip for Macbook Pros thanks to the throttling issues on the CPU due to being less heat efficent?
And is the rMBP really first gen tech? Ain't it just the latest revision of a tried and true laptop design?

3) Some people I've seen have been hating on Mountain Lion. Talking about it being sluggish, bloated and rubbish. Like a Windows Vista. Last OS I had that was OSX was Tiger, so if I go to this Mountain Lion will I feel it being slow and unsnappy?

4) If they make a new iMac, will it include a Retina display? A retina display for a 27 screen would be something along a 4k. is there even a consumer graphics card that would be able to run that resolution, let alone a desktop one? What would a new iMac bring to the table. Other folks (on macrumors) suggest that the line might be dying off or that there wont be an update this year.

Why is there open space between the screen and the case? Some piece of filth (a fleck of like dust or something) fell on the casing part that is almost like a shelf, and I tried to dust it off, but I'm like 80% sure it fell into the casing part. I shouldn't worry over this, should I?

Could anyone answer my previous question?

Unless it conducts electricity there's nothing to worry about. Take apart a keyboard if you want to see how much human-detritus falls into computers.

Izick

Unless it conducts electricity there's nothing to worry about. Take apart a keyboard if you want to see how much human-detritus falls into computers.

Alright. I kind of figured it was a silly question, but I think I'm going to be a bit overprotective with this thing for a while. It's so fucking rad, I love it. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist with these kinds of things, especially when it's this expensive.

Also, what do you personally prefer browser wise, Crude?

Also, what do you personally prefer browser wise, Crude?

Safari. Everything else feels too un-Mac like (I've been using Macs since 1989 or 1990). Used Camino for a while when Safari was iffy and Mozilla was still the best rendering agent.

Use Firefox/Chrome/Epiphany on Windows & Linux boxes with no complaints (and don't really like Safari on Windows for the same reason I don't like the others on the Mac).

2) Some people talk about not getting a retina MBP because it's first generation tech. Never get the first revision. But is that always true? After all, wasn't sandybridge a slip for Macbook Pros thanks to the throttling issues on the CPU due to being less heat efficent?
And is the rMBP really first gen tech? Ain't it just the latest revision of a tried and true laptop design?

It's not first gen hardware so much as first gen software. It's gonna take time for OSX and everything else to get onboard with Retina class displays.

3) Some people I've seen have been hating on Mountain Lion. Talking about it being sluggish, bloated and rubbish. Like a Windows Vista. Last OS I had that was OSX was Tiger, so if I go to this Mountain Lion will I feel it being slow and unsnappy?

Has been pretty good on my 2011 MBA so far, though the patch did fix the battery issues.

4) If they make a new iMac, will it include a Retina display? A retina display for a 27 screen would be something along a 4k. is there even a consumer graphics card that would be able to run that resolution, let alone a desktop one? What would a new iMac bring to the table. Other folks (on macrumors) suggest that the line might be dying off or that there wont be an update this year.

Suggesting the display will extrapolate out is a mistake. I would suggest it would still be a Cinema Display class resolution. Excessively high pixel displays have huge implications for anything not using a ballsy video card, and a 4K screen needs a lot more than just a random ATi card.

snacknuts

we all knew her
What browser(s) do you all use? Chrome seems to be just as good on here, but I think I'm going to give Safari a shake.

Chrome. I've been using a Mac since 2008 and I don't like Safari. I've given it several chances, but I can't find a single compelling reason to use it over Chrome or even Firefox.

1) People talk about Scrolling lag on rMBP. That it is a combination of massive performance hits from the CPU, having to move 4x times the amount of pixels as usual. They talk about it being a software issue, but supposedly there is a Chrome version that fixes it?

Safari has perfectly smooth scrolling. Chrome was really choppy until I enabled the GPU acceleration flag (which I wasn't even aware of until I saw a post somewhere), but a recent version of Chrome somehow broke Youtube so I've been using Safari. It feels snappier in general, too.

As far as I'm concerned, the transition animations - switching spaces, Exposé - are the only place where the graphics lag exhibits itself. They're definitely not as smooth as they used to be. It's not enough for me to get bothered, especially because everything else, such as launching applications, is so blindingly fast. I'm happy with my rMBP.

I don't recall seeing any significant blur from lower resolutions, but I didn't look very hard. I could give it a quick test and see how it affects things when I get back from work.

edit: I did a bit of very unscientific twiddling with the display scaling. It seems to have a small impact on expose and spaces animations, but it's really not much at all in practice. On the 1920x1200 equivalent, scrolling was a little bit more sluggish in Chrome compared to Safari. No significant blur with lower "resolutions", although my brain seems to have better wiring for framerates than pixels.

Safari has perfectly smooth scrolling. Chrome was really choppy until I enabled the GPU acceleration flag (which I wasn't even aware of until I saw a post somewhere), but a recent version of Chrome somehow broke Youtube so I've been using Safari. It feels snappier in general, too.

As far as I'm concerned, the transition animations - switching spaces, Exposé - are the only place where the graphics lag exhibits itself. They're definitely not as smooth as they used to be. It's not enough for me to get bothered, especially because everything else, such as launching applications, is so blindingly fast. I'm happy with my rMBP.

I don't recall seeing any significant blur from lower resolutions, but I didn't look very hard. I could give it a quick test and see how it affects things when I get back from work.

yea this is bothering me too, especially as I have 16GB of ram, this is not what I expect from a 3k laptop... o_O

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I know this is usually not your realm, but can you guys help me decide on whether to get Windows 7 now or waiting for Windows 8?

I can get an OEM copy from Newegg for $99.99. I missed their sale that had it for $79.99. I just hate to spend EVEN MORE money on this device than I already have. But having a copy of windows on it is definitely something I think I want.

I also hear bad things about Windows 8 (Outside of lol windows sucks)

I was surprised that you could use the rMBP with the lid closed, does it do this in Windows using the drivers supplied by Apple?

Izick

I know this is usually not your realm, but can you guys help me decide on whether to get Windows 7 now or waiting for Windows 8?

I can get an OEM copy from Newegg for $99.99. I missed their sale that had it for $79.99. I just hate to spend EVEN MORE money on this device than I already have. But having a copy of windows on it is definitely something I think I want.

I also hear bad things about Windows 8 (Outside of lol windows sucks)

I was surprised that you could use the rMBP with the lid closed, does it do this in Windows using the drivers supplied by Apple?

I can't tell you how 7 or 8 function on a Mac, but I can tell you if you are going to pick either, you might as well choose 8 at this point, as it was snappier for me on my older system, and all the metro stuff was easily avoidable. Basically, think of metro as two login screens. First you give your password, then you have to click on the desktop tile. I think after that, you don't have to see it again if you don't want to.

I say go for 8. It's lame that they made the UI so awkward, but it's faster than 7 a bit.

dwebo

Hey so I've noticed I'll hear a clicking noise like this sometimes in my Macbook Air? I'm kind of freaking out; is it cause to be concerned?

probably not, unless it bothers you. some amount of flex and creak is to be expected, especially with something as thin and light as an air. mine used to creak a bit if I picked it up from the middle area, though I can't seem to make it do it right now

the biggest concern with the airs is getting the better display/ssd, imo

Izick

probably not, unless it bothers you. some amount of flex and creak is to be expected, especially with something as thin and light as an air. mine used to creak a bit if I picked it up from the middle area, though I can't seem to make it do it right now

the biggest concern with the airs is getting the better display/ssd, imo

What do you mean?

----

Also, it is kind of concerning because I can replicate this video fairly easy. Or at least I could before. I can't seem to now though.

EDIT: I have a Toshiba SSD and LG monitor. V_V I don't think I'm ever going to be able to catch a break.

Izick

Fuck, if it has that click, has the LG display and the Toshiba SSD...should I trade it in? I mean I really am loving it so far, but I don't know...I mean I can get better for free, but then again I could trade it in and get nothing different, or something could be wrong with the next one...fuck, more shit to worry about I guess.

What do you all think?

Krelian

Fuck, if it has that click, has the LG display and the Toshiba SSD...should I trade it in? I mean I really am loving it so far, but I don't know...I mean I can get better for free, but then again I could trade it in and get nothing different, or something could be wrong with the next one...fuck, more shit to worry about I guess.

What do you all think?
I wouldn't worry about it. You can read about the different displays and SSDs in detail here and here. It's ultimately your decision, but if it was me I'd just keep what I have.

Espresso

Banned

I prefer Chromium. Safari tends to hog RAM and slow down more often than other browsers (MBP, 10.6.8).

I'd like to see Comodo release a Mac version of Comodo Dragon.

Top Bottom