• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Izick, I'd say the chances that you would get another defective model on the third try are extremely low. This is Apple, after all. Go for it. Sounds like you just had bad luck.

Oh, and try to calm down. :)

ant1532

Banned
hey guys. im getting a macbook pro today. i haven't had a computer in over a year. On my birthday (may 25, 2011) last year I broke mine(older macbook). Since then I've been using a broken down iphone (yes, my things break...) to access the internet such as right now. I am so excited. I AM SO EXCITE.

I will be getting insurance this time.

imho insuring gizmos like that is silly.
you can just as well put aside a fiver a week to take care of repairs or replacements when the time comes.

Izick

Izick, I'd say the chances that you would get another defective model on the third try are extremely low. This is Apple, after all. Go for it. Sounds like you just had bad luck.

Oh, and try to calm down. :)

Haha, I'm sorry I've just really been pissed about this. I can't believe that I got two defective units in a row, and the second one was just unabashedly fucked up in several ways.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do now. I'm getting a refund for sure, but I don't know if I'm going to buy another Air (would be through Apple themselves this time) or possibly just a different laptop all together. Might get a Lenovo X1 Carbon. Not sure yet.

Izick

It was a quick run, Mac gaf, but I appreciate all of your help nonetheless. I think I'm going back to PC, either a laptop, or more likely a desktop PC.

These hardware fuckups just grind my gears, I really dislike the hard edge at the bottom of the Air, and while Apple makes quality products (in theory), I just don't like them as a company.

Like I said though, thanks all for helping me with this.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just ordered Parallels 7 with a free upgrade to Parallels 8 and a free set of fonts (lol) for $28 from newegg.

Quick question about gaming performance on the 2012 Macbook Air. Would I be able to play Telltales adventure games on this machine? I am concerned about the HD4000 integrated video.

Quick question about gaming performance on the 2012 Macbook Air. Would I be able to play Telltales adventure games on this machine? I am concerned about the HD4000 integrated video.

Well, walking deads requirements specifically mention it is not recommended to use integrated graphics for it. Not sure what the actual performance is.

Been getting the gray screen for quite some time now and its pretty annoying. Took it in and they replaced the hard drive because they thought that was the problem yet even with the new hard drive its still acting up. I've only installed Microsoft and chrome. Got an appointment tomorrow and they better fix this damn thing .

mj1108

I just ordered Parallels 7 with a free upgrade to Parallels 8 and a free set of fonts (lol) for $28 from newegg.

Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832714023

Use the coupon code: EMCNAJJ237

Then once you get your copy, get a copy of your invoice to submit and request your free upgrade to 8 here: http://www.parallels.com/techguarantee2012/request/

I did mine earlier today. They say you'll get the upgrade in a few days, but mine took less than an hour.

I've just invested in a Crucial M4 256gb SSD, an optibay drive converter and an external housing for my superdrive for my 2011 Macbook Pro.

Am I better off putting the SSD in the optibay, or in the normal HD position? Any difference in speed on either connector?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've just invested in a Crucial M4 256gb SSD, an optibay drive converter and an external housing for my superdrive for my 2011 Macbook Pro.

Am I better off putting the SSD in the optibay, or in the normal HD position? Any difference in speed on either connector?
You should put the SSD in the normal HDD spot so you can use taller 12mm drives in the optical bay. (Last I checked, the only way to get a 1TB drive in a laptop.)

You should put the SSD in the normal HDD spot so you can use taller 12mm drives in the optical bay. (Last I checked, the only way to get a 1TB drive in a laptop.)

I'm pretty happy with my 750gb in the standard spot. So the read / write speeds are the same?

EDIT: found a page saying the Optical Bay Bus speed is 3 Gigabit vs the main hard drive space of 6 Gigabit on my model of macbook, and checked the profiler, and lo & behold, that's how it is. So i'll put the SSD in the standard HDD drive and the HDD in the Optibay.

Korosenai

Ok, I just bought a OCZ Vertex 4 SDD for my macbook, and I was wondering what I need to do for this kind of process.

I know I need to back up my macbook so I can transfer my data over to my new sdd when I get it, but what else is there?

When putting in the ssd, should I do a clean install of mountain lion first before using time machine?

This is my first time doing this kind of thing so i'm pretty much clueless :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have a 1TB hard drive in the normal spot. Does that mean its 12mm?
Hmm. I dunno. I'm not up on whether the technology advanced far enough yet. I might be wrong and they might have gotten 1TB drives to 9mm. Last I checked the Pro's had a slot big enough for a 9mm and 1TB drives were still 12mm. But that was a year ago when I still had a Pro.

So I probably will in the end get a new Mac mini when it comes out either later this year or early next. Haswell according to IDF probably won't be out until late 2013 and Apple won't follow up on it after that.

Ok, I just bought a OCZ Vertex 4 SDD for my macbook, and I was wondering what I need to do for this kind of process.

I know I need to back up my macbook so I can transfer my data over to my new sdd when I get it, but what else is there?

When putting in the ssd, should I do a clean install of mountain lion first before using time machine?

Do you have Mountain Lion now? Cause if you made a USB drive, you can just stick that in with the fresh drive and copy the files over

Korosenai

Do you have Mountain Lion now? Cause if you made a USB drive, you can just stick that in with the fresh drive and copy the files over

Yes, I have Mountain Lion.

And what do you mean make a USB drive? Do you mean put Mountain Lion on a USB drive?

I do have all of my stuff backed up through time machine on an external hard drive.

Timo

My MacBook drive is dead. Has been for a while. I'm gonna finally upgrade to Snow Leopard so I'm buying an external drive. Will it be ok to instal Snow Leopard form an external drive, or will it potentially fuck up?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well that was asinine, but I found out how to fix a problem I was having.

So I deleted a bunch of files because I'm creating a Bootcamp partition. When I went to check the amount of storage after I did this, I hardly had any space compared to the amount of stuff I deleted. Backup had just a few gigs and the Other category had a ton.

Here starting with the Lion OS if you have a laptop that you are using time machine with an external drive and the external drive is not connected, Mac OSX decides to backup onto your primary hard drive. There isn't even an option in time machine to turn it off or delete the backup. It was still there even after having the external drive plugged in. I had to run a sudo command to turn it off and delete the backup.

Here it was just the files in the backup portion but was taking all that space in the Other category as well.

Izick

I think I might try another go with an Air again. Hopefully if I buy from the Apple store I'll get one without any defects. I don't know, still not sure yet.

nib95

Banned
Got a Macbook Pro Retina earlier today. Not sure if I'm keeping it yet. Despite having used Macs and PC's heavily for over 10 years, I still prefer Windows tbh. But this new version of OSX is definitely a step in the right direction.

Initially, the laptop didn't blow me away. Basically a thinner, lighter version of my 17" MBP (which I'm sad to see they've done away with) but smaller and slightly faster (expected for a new revision, and more so for the cost and lack of connections/optical drive). But upon further use, I'm more and more impressed with it. The screen is gorgeous, but not because it's retina (yea retina is nice but 1080p screens at 15" are generally more than detailed enough anyway), but more impressive is the colour accuracy and black levels.

It scores pretty much perfect with the Lagom LCD test images. Better than my 17" MBP and Dell XPS. Though the black is still a long way off Kuro final gen blacks. On top of that, I was super pleased to see that Optical (SPDIF) out is still actually an option despite not being listed by Apple! So I can still use my Optical to DAC to Amp to headphones set up.

It's also whisper quiet (for now) and runs cooler than my old MBP, so kudo's to the cooling design system.

Lastly, the speakers. Fantastic. Not as loud as my 17" MBP or the XPS (with subwoofer) but mighty impressive. Completely different sounding to the other two tbh. The Retina MBP has a far more audiophile sound. It sacrifices some bass, but in place it gets much more detail, articulation (more acute highs) and a more airy sound stage. A touch tinny but at least it sounds much clearer than the 17" MBP and XPS. The older MBP does have more bass (but less spacial realism and clarity) and the XPS even more bass (subwoofer packs a whallop) at the expense of further clarity.

If I could describe these laptop speakers compared with headphones...

The XPS with subwoofer is a Denon D5000/D7000 modded
The 17" MBP is an Audeze LCD-2 Rev 1
And the MBP Retina is a Beyerdynamic T1

Pretty impressive piece of kit so far. Not sure if it's worth the money yet mind.

Mobius 1

Got a Macbook Pro Retina earlier today. Not sure if I'm keeping it yet. Despite having used Macs and PC's heavily for over 10 years, I still prefer Windows tbh. But this new version of OSX is definitely a step in the right direction.

Initially, the laptop didn't blow me away. Basically a thinner, lighter version of my 17" MBP (which I'm sad to see they've done away with) but smaller and slightly faster (expected for a new revision, and more so for the cost and lack of connections/optical drive). But upon further use, I'm more and more impressed with it. The screen is gorgeous, but not because it's retina (yea retina is nice but 1080p screens at 15" are generally more than detailed enough anyway), but more impressive is the colour accuracy and black levels.

It scores pretty much perfect with the Lagom LCD test images. Better than my 17" MBP and Dell XPS. Though the black is still a long way off Kuro final gen blacks. On top of that, I was super pleased to see that Optical (SPDIF) out is still actually an option despite not being listed by Apple! So I can still use my Optical to DAC to Amp to headphones set up.

It's also whisper quiet (for now) and runs cooler than my old MBP, so kudo's to the cooling design system.

Lastly, the speakers. Fantastic. Not as loud as my 17" MBP or the XPS (with subwoofer) but mighty impressive. Completely different sounding to the other two tbh. The Retina MBP has a far more audiophile sound. It sacrifices some bass, but in place it gets much more detail, articulation (more acute highs) and a more airy sound stage. A touch tinny but at least it sounds much clearer than the 17" MBP and XPS. The older MBP does have more bass (but less spacial realism and clarity) and the XPS even more bass (subwoofer packs a whallop) at the expense of further clarity.

If I could describe these laptop speakers compared with headphones...

The XPS with subwoofer is a Denon D5000/D7000 modded
The 17" MBP is an Audeze LCD-2 Rev 1
And the MBP Retina is a Beyerdynamic T1

Pretty impressive piece of kit so far. Not sure if it's worth the money yet mind.

I was feeling exactly like that when I picked it up last Saturday.

I gave myself a week to make a decision, and really there is no going back. This laptop feels like a piece of tech from the near future.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My MacBook drive is dead. Has been for a while. I'm gonna finally upgrade to Snow Leopard so I'm buying an external drive. Will it be ok to instal Snow Leopard form an external drive, or will it potentially fuck up?
Eh, you should be fine. I see no reason it would install wrong just because it's a third-party drive.

I was looking at my GF's white Macbook to see how far I could update the version of OSX on it, and it looks like it can upgrade all the way to Mountain Lion (Macbook5,2). Obviously if I were to upgrade via the App Store I would need upgrade to a newer OS than what she has, but could I not just use the Mountain Lion USB I built and automatically upgrade it all the way to that? I assume this would be fine with her being under the same household.

Korosenai

So I installed my new ssd into my MacBook, and now when I turn it on and hold option it only let's me do Internet recovery. It won't open the mac osx utilities screen.

Anyone know what i should do.

I put the ssd in, screwed the bottom of the MacBook back on, turned the MacBook on holding option, and I get Internet recovery.

How do I format the drive?

You didn't copy over the contents of your previous drive to the SSD? Don't you have to use Internet Recovery then?

Korosenai

I went through with the Internet recovery, and it brought up the utilities screen. And now when I try to do either time machine backup or reinstall Mac osx, it won't find the new drive.

Crap.

Edit: I opened disc utility and it says the ssd is connected. Do I need to reformat the ssd or create a partition?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
You may not have created a bootable USB drive if all you are getting is internet recovery, did you just drag the file onto the USB. Just follow the internet recovery (it takes a long while) and you will get to the system utilities to format and install.

EDIT: Do you have two drives? or just the one? You may have to run back through and make sure all the cables were re-attached properly.

Korosenai

You may not have created a bootable USB drive if all you are getting is internet recovery, did you just drag the file onto the USB. Just follow the internet recovery (it takes a long while) and you will get to the system utilities to format and install.

EDIT: Do you have two drives? or just the one? You may have to run back through and make sure all the cables were re-attached properly.
I'm using MacBook pro 2011. Swapped out old hdd for new ssd. I didn't do anything to ssd, just put it in my MacBook straight out of the box.

When I turned on my MacBook, it made me do internet recovery.

Now utilities is opened, but when I do 'backup from time machine' or 'install Mac osx', it won't find my hard drive (though when I open disc utility, it shows my new ssd in the list on the left).

I'm using MacBook pro 2011. Swapped out old hdd for new ssd. I didn't do anything to ssd, just put it in my MacBook straight out of the box.

When I turned on my MacBook, it made me do internet recovery.

Now utilities is opened, but when I do 'backup from time machine' or 'install Mac osx', it won't find my hard drive (though when I open disc utility, it shows my new ssd in the list on the left).

Try formatting it.

nullref

I did this exact upgrade a few weeks ago, and here's how I did it. It didn't require a backup, because I just used the old drive as the source to restore from. Maybe this will be useful to someone else doing the same thing.

1. First of all, I still had the Mountain Lion installer .dmg on my hard drive, from when I downloaded it from the App Store.
  2. I installed the SSD into my Macbook.
  3. I installed my old hard drive into a USB enclosure.
  4. I rebooted the Macbook, booting from the USB drive.
  5. Using the Mountain Lion installer, I did a fresh install of Mountain Lion onto the SSD. I did this solely to create the Mountain Lion recovery partition on this disk. If anyone knows a way to do this without doing an entire install, that would save time. At some point in the install process, you'll have to boot from the SSD, which will now have a fresh install of Mountain Lion.
  6. Once again, I rebooted the Macbook, booting from the USB drive.
  7. I used SuperDuper to clone the current boot disk (the USB disk) to the main partition of the SSD. How long this takes depends on how much data you have, but it took a few hours for me.
  8. Then I rebooted, from the SSD this time, and I have an exact clone of my previous system, moved to the SSD.

Edit:

Looks like I could have used this to create the recovery partition, instead of doing a full install? If so, steps 5-6 can be replaced with using this tool to create the recovery partition on the SSD.

Top Bottom