• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

I can't wait for next week because with the iPhone bs out of the way it begins the countdown to the 13" retina possibly in October and then the iMac and Mac mini.

So i have another odd little issue with my MBA: When hooked up to my AV receiver via displayport, and i play back video recorded with my iPhone (mono audio), sound only plays out of the left speaker of the 5.1 setup. This is when using quicktime or preview; VLC spreads the mono to the front left and front right speakers.

Everything else with this setup works great -- stereo audio plays fine, stereo video plays fine, 5.1 video plays fine with all the correct channels. If i hook up earbuds to the Macbook directly, i get left and right output on mono videos. It's just the mono iPhone videos through displayport.

Any advice? Google isn't helping so far. I already looked through Audio MIDI Setup and everything seems to be correctly set up there.

Quadratic

I was able to exchange my (past 14 days old) MacBook Air at the Apple Store after spilling mango juice on it. I was probably just lucky, but no reason not to try it yourself with something so damn expensive.

That's not common. Everything I've read so far on the web points to when the liquid triggers are red they pretty much tell you to get it repaired. I got quotes from authorized repair centres from 1100 to 1300. Also, if you go to a genius bar with your liquid damaged mac they blacklist your serial against any future warranty or Apple Care service which sucks.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ok, I want to get external storage for my rMBP, something that's networked like the Time Capsule. I'm assuming the TC is only for backups, right? So I need something to store iTunes music on and such. Does something like that exist or am I better off buying attached storage for that?

Ok, I want to get external storage for my rMBP, something that's networked like the Time Capsule. I'm assuming the TC is only for backups, right? So I need something to store iTunes music on and such. Does something like that exist or am I better off buying attached storage for that?

I don't have a Time Capsule, but I'm pretty sure that it also works as a network attached storage drive so you can use it for your music and whatever other files you'd like.

Korosenai

Hello everyone,

Ever since this morning my macbook pro has been making this noise from the lower right corner.

HGIHA.jpg

At first I thought it was the fans, but it turns out it's coming right from that corner.

It doesn't make a sound when it's in sleep mode, but the second it comes out of sleep mode, the noise starts. It's never happened til today either.

Does anyone know what this could be and how I can fix it?

EDIT: I also downloaded istat pro, and according to it my cpu is currently 97% idle and both fans are at 2000 rpm. And my laptop is not warm either. All i'm doing is browsing safari.

That's not common. Everything I've read so far on the web points to when the liquid triggers are red they pretty much tell you to get it repaired. I got quotes from authorized repair centres from 1100 to 1300. Also, if you go to a genius bar with your liquid damaged mac they blacklist your serial against any future warranty or Apple Care service which sucks.
I just realized that my specific case was before they introduced AppleCare+ so they're probably a lot stricter now.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I purchased a 2012 Macbook Air a few months ago and was rather disappointed with the battery life, but eventually became acclimated with it. In the past week or so, my battery life has decreased dramatically. I finished charging my laptop to a full battery fourty-five mutes ago, and I'm currently using the device on the lowest brightness setting (short of turning the brightness off entirely) with Safari and Sparrow open and my estimated battery life is four hours, which, considering my battery drained by 25% in the past fourty-five minutes, is probably generous. Is anybody else having this problem? Should I buy AppleCare while I still can and bring it in?

noah111

Still Alive
Hello everyone,

Ever since this morning my macbook pro has been making this noise from the lower right corner.

http://i.imgur.com/HGIHA.jpg[IMG]

At first I thought it was the fans, but it turns out it's coming right from that corner.

It doesn't make a sound when it's in sleep mode, but the second it comes out of sleep mode, the noise starts. It's never happened til today either.

Does anyone know what this could be and how I can fix it?

EDIT: I also downloaded istat pro, and according to it my cpu is currently 97% idle and both fans are at 2000 rpm. And my laptop is not warm either. All i'm doing is browsing safari.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure that's where the hard drive is located. Perhaps it's damaged or just making more noise than it should. :s

Korosenai

I'm pretty sure that's where the hard drive is located. Perhaps it's damaged or just making more noise than it should. :s

Yea, it sounds as if it's spinning really fast. The weird thing is it just started doing it yesterday, and it does it the second my computer comes out of sleep mode and doesn't stop.

I'm just going to take my macbook to an Apple Genius Bar tomorrow and see if they can do anything.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I love my Macbook Pro (got it a week ago). Really liking it. It would be just be perfect with more RAM and an SSD which I plan to add in the future at some point.

I'm excited for the iPhone 5 I will probably be getting this year.

OS X does a lot to protect you if you use its features. And the rest is to just be aware of tech blogs and use common sense. Never download an app you are unsure is well known from a website that looks suspicious. Mac citizens are good people. We make good apps. If an app is good, you will hear about it. Or we will tell you about it here.

Generally, you can only infect your Mac if you do it yourself. A lot of apps, even legit ones, will require a password to use so the OS knows it can do certain things. This is the only way the bad ones can get through. If you are unsure an app is safe, just Google about it.

Also, only use Java for things you know are legit. For me, the only Java I use is Minecraft and CrashPlan.

And use a browser that includes its own Flash like Chrome, or use Safari which makes sure Flash is current or doesn't let it run at all. (Though this has caused a problem for a lot of ML users in which Safari wrongly marked Flash as old and out of date because there were two versions included.) I use Chrome. It includes the current safe version of Flash and keeps replacing it whenever an update comes out.

Flash and Java are the two offenders malware people will use. They will make installers for their trojans that act like Flash installers or use Java exploits.

If you use a browser that doesn't have its own Flash, make sure your Flash is up to date MANUALLY by checking the web site when you see an alert and downloading directly from Adobe. Flash has an auto-update system, but Trojan makers are getting crafty and you never know when you might meet a trojan installer that looks just like Adobe's own unique installer alert. So just go to Adobe and download it yourself.

Apple keeps Java off your system by default and will only install and keep it up to date for you if you ask it to the first time you try to run something with Java. Like Minecraft or CrashPlan.

Common sense. Virus software for OS X is bloated and horrible and completely unnecessary. Don't use it. It's just there to make the Virus Scanner companies more money for their pockets. All it takes is a little Googling and making sure you're always updated.

Oh, and BTW, "MAC" is a cosmetics company. "Mac" is a shorthand for Macintosh. "Mac" is what we're using.
Very cool! Yeah I know Mac is short for Macintosh. I haven't used once since system 7. Sorry, didn't mean to hold shift that long.

I don't think there is anything. OSX has a built-in blacklist that is updated silently, and the anti-virus software available is to protect Windows viruses from hanging out on your Mac (as far as I know). You're just protecting networked Windows machines from you.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Is it normal that the fan of my 13" MBA will go up to 5000, 6000 rpm when playing video? x264 in VLC player, flash video like on thedailyshow.com, even 720p HTML5 video on Giant Bomb.

This is in clamshell mode, so with the lid closed. Ventilation issue?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Could someone give me some advice on my MacBook, I was just giving the screen a wipe and was about to do the keyboard, as I do now and then to keep it nice looking, but I never really looked at the ports on the side.

My Magsafe connector looks, well, peculiar, as some metal is now coming through above the pin bit. Is this some covering on the metal just coming off and nothing really to be worry about or has something gotten stuck and melted?

Timo

Could someone give me some advice on my MacBook, I was just giving the screen a wipe and was about to do the keyboard, as I do now and then to keep it nice looking, but I never really looked at the ports on the side.

My Magsafe connector looks, well, peculiar, as some metal is now coming through above the pin bit. Is this some covering on the metal just coming off and nothing really to be worry about or has something gotten stuck and melted?

Mine looks like that too man. I dunno if it's a good thing or not, but mine looks exactly the same.

dwebo

Is it normal that the fan of my 13" MBA will go up to 5000, 6000 rpm when playing video? x264 in VLC player, flash video like on thedailyshow.com, even 720p HTML5 video on Giant Bomb.

This is in clamshell mode, so with the lid closed. Ventilation issue?

yeah, in clamshell mode, all the fan exhaust holes at the hinge are essentially closed

Izick

Just got back from the store. Still have a Toshiba SSD and LG display, but to be honest I'll be completely happy as long as it doesn't click.

TUSR

Banned
Fuck.

I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, but I think the left speaker in this Air I got is messed up. I noticed it at the beginning of this video (when they start talking), where it's kind of like tinny or reverb-y. I can't tell for sure but I'm pretty sure it is. I don't know if I'm being paranoid or what but I think it's there.

I don't get a tinny or reverby sound out when I listen to it.

Google search a sound diagnostic test for a laptop and come post results.

Mobius 1

I had to replace a laptop due to an insurance claim, and I picked up the Retina Macbook Pro today, base model. For context, I use an iMac and a 2011 MBP.

I won't repeat everything people already said about the computer, but I will reinforce that if you can wait, do. Wait for the 2nd revision.

The hardware is not up to par with Apple's vision. The UI lag was noticeable, and using the higher scaled resolution made it unacceptable. There were rendering issues with Safari. The computer locked up on me twice – which has never happened to me with Apple hardware in the past 5 years since I started to use OSX.

But.

After playing with it for a couple of hours, I nuked the SSD to transfer my data from the other computer via Target mode. 10 minutes later my data is all intact, ready to go and...

UI performance is up. I can offer no explanation on why, but most of the slowness, choppiness, frame dropping and locking up is gone. I tried a couple of scaled resolutions and they also performed much better than at factory state.

Before you say "bollocks" – I'm a UI designer, I do this for a living.

TL;DR; If you purchase a Retina Macbook Pro and out of the box the interface is sluggish, a clean install of OSX may improve things considerably.

Does anyone have the Mac solar keyboard? I think it's made by Logitech. I didn't even know that existed before seeing it in store today. Probably wouldn't work so well for me considering I keep my room pretty dim at all times of the day. Nonetheless, it looked kinda cool. I usually have to charge my AA keyboard batteries once a month max. Much less often than the magic mouse.

njean777

I had to replace a laptop due to an insurance claim, and I picked up the Retina Macbook Pro today, base model. For context, I use an iMac and a 2011 MBP.

I won't repeat everything people already said about the computer, but I will reinforce that if you can wait, do. Wait for the 2nd revision.

The hardware is not up to par with Apple's vision. The UI lag was noticeable, and using the higher scaled resolution made it unacceptable. There were rendering issues with Safari. The computer locked up on me twice – which has never happened to me with Apple hardware in the past 5 years since I started to use OSX.

But.

After playing with it for a couple of hours, I nuked the SSD to transfer my data from the other computer via Target mode. 10 minutes later my data is all intact, ready to go and...

UI performance is up. I can offer no explanation on why, but most of the slowness, choppiness, frame dropping and locking up is gone. I tried a couple of scaled resolutions and they also performed much better than at factory state.

TL;DR; If you purchase a Retina Macbook Pro and out of the box the interface is sluggish, a clean install of OSX may improve things considerably.

If you are using ML then the problem is with ML, there was a long post about why the Retina lags when using ML and not Lion on Macrumors. I had Lion on mine before ML and there was no UI lag, but a bit of lag when scrolling in Safari. ML brought the UI lag, but cleaned up Safari. Its really weird, but supposedly they are fixing it in 10.8.2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

RMBP runs far better under ML than it does under Lion, so that may be as simple as that, if it came with Lion when you got it (mine did). Also, there could be that the computer was bogged down by file indexing, or you just got a crap OS install somehow. For what it's worth, I had zero system lockups with the machine since I got it. Safari 6 has rendering glitches, but that's a Safari problem, not hardware.

If you are using ML then the problem is with ML, there was a long post about why the Retina lags when using ML and not Lion on Macrumors. I had Lion on mine before ML and there was no UI lag, but a bit of lag when scrolling in Safari. ML brought the UI lag, but cleaned up Safari. Its really weird, but supposedly they are fixing it in 10.8.2.
Can you link me to that thread, because everything I've read (Anandtech and others) and experienced myself tells me that what you're writing there is simply not true. UI framerate on rmbp is noticeably worse under Lion, plain OS as well as Safari. It was very visible in things like full screen transitions or expose. It was just the most obvious in Safari.

Izick

I don't get a tinny or reverby sound out when I listen to it.

Google search a sound diagnostic test for a laptop and come post results.

I can't seem to find any. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I really hope something with the video was wrong or something. I really don't want to take this one back. This is really fucking stressing me out.

Mobius 1

RMBP runs far better under ML than it does under Lion, so that may be as simple as that, if it came with Lion when you got it (mine did). Also, there could be that the computer was bogged down by file indexing, or you just got a crap OS install somehow. For what it's worth, I had zero system lockups with the machine since I got it. Safari 6 has rendering glitches, but that's a Safari problem, not hardware.

Can you link me to that thread, because everything I've read (Anandtech and others) and experienced myself tells me that what you're writing there is simply not true. UI framerate on rmbp is noticeably worse under Lion, plain OS as well as Safari. It was very visible in things like full screen transitions or expose. It was just the most obvious in Safari.

I considered the indexing process, but it was done after a few minutes. The computer came with ML installed, and I had it updated to the last dot release.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I considered the indexing process, but it was done after a few minutes. The computer came with ML installed, and I had it updated to the last dot release.
Two more things I just remembered: Theres noticeble improvement in UI performance when the dedicated GPU is used, so it might be that the second time you came back to the machine, something was activating the dedicated GPU, while the first time it was using the integrated one. You can install gfxCardStatus to check this.

Also another thing, performance of the computer can drop down somewhat (even significantly depending on what you do) when the battery is near drained. I've noticed that when you have less than 6 or 8% of battery left, OS won't allow CPU overdrive mode anymore, so you won't get same performance from the machine until you plug it back to charge. This is very noticeable in CPU intensive applications like games or emulators, but part of the UI rendering is done on CPU so it affects that as well somewhat.

Mobius 1

Two more things I just remembered: Theres noticeble improvement in UI performance when the dedicated GPU is used, so it might be that the second time you came back to the machine, something was activating the dedicated GPU, while the first time it was using the integrated one. You can install gfxCardStatus to check this.

Also another thing, performance of the computer can drop down somewhat (even significantly depending on what you do) when the battery is near drained. I've noticed that when you have less than 6 or 8% of battery left, OS won't allow CPU overdrive mode anymore, so you won't get same performance from the machine until you plug it back to charge. This is very noticeable in CPU intensive applications like games or emulators, but part of the UI rendering is done on CPU so it affects that as well somewhat.

Good insight, I will test it out.

Izick

I can't seem to find any. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I really hope something with the video was wrong or something. I really don't want to take this one back. This is really fucking stressing me out.

Anybody?

I'm kind of disappointed if this one turns out to be a defected unit as well. I decided to go with Apple because I thought (especially when paying this much) that problems like these wouldn't be so widespread.

I really don't want to go back to Best Buy. Of course it didn't make the clicking sound there today when she checked it, and she said she asked their "resident Mac guy" and she said that he had never even heard of that problem with Airs. The BB is 45 minutes away, so it's not like I can just walk down the street anyway. I don't know what to do at this point, I'm just kind of pissed off. This kind of shit just keeps on piling up on me, and these laptop fuck ups are just the latest thing.

njean777

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1413062

The UI lag is horrible with ML, not so much with Lion. Safari behavior was not so great in Lion, but it was acceptable (if you could get use to it).I personally have the base retina, and with Lion, I experience no lag switching spaces, or using mission control. Since I have updated to ML I have had nothing but lag everywhere when using spaces, and mission control. Safari acts better, but the UI lag bothers me far more then safari.

And yes I did do a clean install of ML and it still lags like crazy, using it now and experiencing lag when moving between spaces.

Anybody?

I'm kind of disappointed if this one turns out to be a defected unit as well. I decided to go with Apple because I thought (especially when paying this much) that problems like these wouldn't be so widespread.

I really don't want to go back to Best Buy. Of course it didn't make the clicking sound there today when she checked it, and she said she asked their "resident Mac guy" and she said that he had never even heard of that problem with Airs. The BB is 45 minutes away, so it's not like I can just walk down the street anyway. I don't know what to do at this point, I'm just kind of pissed off. This kind of shit just keeps on piling up on me, and these laptop fuck ups are just the latest thing.

When I had the 11in air I had tinny sound if I turned up the speakers to loud. I think it is normal as the speaker quality in the airs is not as good as the pros from what I remember.

Also be sure to change your stacks on the right side of the dock to folders, it helps with the lag. I think they found out that it was rendering all images in stacks when it switches between spaces while they are stacks. If you change them to folders it does not do that. That is why I am on the side of it being ML bugs more so then the hardware not being ready.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1413062

The UI lag is horrible with ML, not so much with Lion. Safari behavior was not so great in Lion, but it was acceptable (if you could get use to it).I personally have the base retina, and with Lion, I experience no lag switching spaces, or using mission control. Since I have updated to ML I have had nothing but lag everywhere when using spaces, and mission control. Safari acts better, but the UI lag bothers me far more then safari.

And yes I did do a clean install of ML and it still lags like crazy, using it now and experiencing lag when moving between spaces.
I don't know what to tell you, except that when I was using it, everything felt approx 50-100% more laggy in Lion compared to ML. I literally sighed in relief when I installed it, and saw that what Anadtech was talking about was true. I observed the exact same thing with a friend from work who got his rmbp few days after me. Your posts here were literally the first time I saw anyone say the opposite, and I see now there's few more people at macrumors - but back when rmbp came out and ML was in beta, there were tons of people installing it, and confirming what I also observed (that ML just performs better all around)

*edit*, I tried changing those Stacks to Icons as someone in that thread suggested. It made absolutely no difference either way.

Does anyone know anything about those Apple Bluetooth keyboards. My power button on the right sticks like crazy. I've never dropped the device, and I keep it in the box when I am not using it. when I examine the device more closely it looks like it was poorly put together. The circular button is not centered which seems to be causing the sticking.

The button sticking is a problem because it is very easy to accidentally depress the power button, rendering the device on or off when it is not my intention. This causes chaos for my iPad when it is in my bag.

I guess my question is.... is "built like shit" an acceptable reason to ask for a replacement. And normally apple products are serialized so one can just take it to the apple store and get a new device. Does this simple policy apply to the keyboards as well? Lastly I bought the keyboard on amazon does that matter ? Do I have to return the product through them?

Thanks gaf

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Does anyone have the Mac solar keyboard? I think it's made by Logitech. I didn't even know that existed before seeing it in store today. Probably wouldn't work so well for me considering I keep my room pretty dim at all times of the day. Nonetheless, it looked kinda cool. I usually have to charge my AA keyboard batteries once a month max. Much less often than the magic mouse.
I bought this for my wife because she wanted an extended keyboard that's also wireless (it's really irritating that Apple doesn't offer this). It works well -- never had an issue with low power or anything. As long as you have at least some light in the room (artificial or natural) it stays charged. Mechanically and visually it apes the Apple keyboards and generally gets pretty close.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Mine looks like that too man. I dunno if it's a good thing or not, but mine looks exactly the same.

As long as it isn't just me, I imagine it's just the cover over the metal wearing off then and not something that stuck and died, lol, I just hadn't looked at the port in ages and wasn't sure if it was something to be worried about.

Izick

Listening to other things on high or highest loudness, I can't seem to hear any tinniness or reverb yet. I would still like to test it though if anybody knows how to do that.

I am amazed at how well everything connects and talks to each other. My Air, iPhone and Apple TV make an amazing combination. Like the Remote app, tells you what's playing, how long is left, etc, or using the regular remote. Remote play works well (though I do detect a very small amount of lag, to be expected). I just need to get a keyboard and trackpad for when I do airplay my Air.

From someone who was vehemently anti Apple (for reasons I don't know) they have converted me. It's so seemless.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The worst thing with my rMBP at times is the fucking pinwheel. When that thing starts going, it's going to be up for awhile.

Izick

Anybody have any idea on those laptop sound tests?

EDIT: I can hear it in other videos now on high settings. I'm going to have to take another one of these fucking things back again. What a fucking joke. This is absurd. A 1000$ product and this is what happens? Two dysfunctional units in a row? Absolutely absurd.

EDIT 2: I've asked some other people, and I've been told that I should just get a refund and order from Apple themselves. The only thing that worries me there is that if I get another defective unit, then I would have to wait to send it back and receive another one. I mean, the chances are definitely less, but after getting two defective ones in a row, I'm not counting anything out.

Izick

The entire trackpad is supposed to be noticeably lowered from the aluminum around it, right?

EDIT: The left side of my trackpad is on level with the surrounding aluminum, while the right side is noticeably lowered, as it should be. I thought I was just making things up in my mind when some multi-touch things took more than one time to do, maybe I messed them up, but the lower left is especially bad. Holy fuck am I pissed right now. How does this get passed testing? I kind of felt bad having to go back to Best Buy before to return another one, but I'm getting a refund all together.

I don't know if I'm going to buy another Air, I think I will, but it's going to be through the Apple store this time if I do. If not...I don't know. I don't know who's fault all this has been, but I can't believe this. The trackpad and speaker shit is inexcusable to me. Fucking shit.

Top Bottom