• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
How do i format it?

Im going to class right now, so ill have to try it out later. I can also post pictures later.

Select the SSD in Disk Utility, choose erase. Make sure the volume format selected is "Mac OS X Journaled."

Click "Erase"

After this process is completed you should have the options to install Mountain Lion or install from a Time Machine Back up.

mil6es

I'm planning on double dipping on a Mac mini after I get my i5, question is should I get the lower spec mini with onboard gfx chip should I opt for the higher end with a desperate gfx card? (I will be doing some light gaming)

Korosenai

I can't agree with the recommendation of SuperDuper enough, I use it all the time when I install a new SSD in one of my computers.

Select the SSD in Disk Utility, choose erase. Make sure the volume format selected is "Mac OS X Journaled."

Click "Erase"

After this process is completed you should have the options to install Mountain Lion or install from a Time Machine Back up.

Just posting to let you guys know that it worked. Already got my time machine backup transferred as well.

freshair

Mac-gaf to the rescue!

Alright, so I'm getting a ton of beach balls and fan activity lately. I have a late 2006 white macbook (2ghz core 2 duo) and I've maxed out the ram at 4gb (3 usable).

I'm still rocking the original 80gb internal though, which I suspect may be a reason for some of the continued slow downs as I'm always struggling to keep more than 5gb free at any given time.

Being that this is one of the earlier macbook models, I know that it only has sata 1 speeds.

What would be a more worthwhile upgrade:
- getting a 7200rpm HD or,
- getting an SSD?

Sanjuro

Mac-gaf to the rescue!

Alright, so I'm getting a ton of beach balls and fan activity lately. I have a late 2006 white macbook (2ghz core 2 duo) and I've maxed out the ram at 4gb (3 usable).

I'm still rocking the original 80gb internal though, which I suspect may be a reason for some of the continued slow downs as I'm always struggling to keep more than 5gb free at any given time.

Being that this is one of the earlier macbook models, I know that it only has sata 1 speeds.

- getting an SSD?

I would get a cheap 7200 for that machine. Only do SSD if you get a newer computer.

nib95

Banned
Ok, so I'm pretty pissed off right now. £2000 on a laptop and what build quality do you get for it? More creaking than my older and substantially cheaper Dell (plastic) one....

Did a quick Google and apparently MBP Retina's commonly have a creaking issue. It's quite loud as well so when you're using at night etc it's pretty obvious.

Anyway, going to do an exchange and see if they'll do a swap, but it's annoying since I just transferred a whole load of files and software on to it.

VPhys

Ok, so I'm pretty pissed off right now. £2000 on a laptop and what build quality do you get for it? More creaking than my older and substantially cheaper Dell (plastic) one....

Did a quick Google and apparently MBP Retina's commonly have a creaking issue. It's quite loud as well so when you're using at night etc it's pretty obvious.

Anyway, going to do an exchange and see if they'll do a swap, but it's annoying since I just transferred a whole load of files and software on to it.

No creeks on my retina.

VoxPop

Yep had it since launch and no creaking here either. You should get it replaced.

After so much crap you gave it, I can't help but laugh a little. But you'll see, the machine is the best thing Apple made since Iphone 4. Same wow factor.

I've used it before :)

I am out of options, really. My criticism still stands but I need a machine for photoshopping (and a machine that can drive my Thunderbolt Display).

I still think it's 1 gen too soon, but hey. It's nicer than my shitty PC.

Korosenai

So after I installed the ssd last night and put the bottom casing back on the macbook, it seems that the screws won't sit flush in the right middle screw hole.

I tried every different screw, I tried screwing it in last, tried doing it first. It just won't sit flush.

Does anyone know where I could go to get maybe a replacement bottom case?

JavyOO7

Sad days lately with my Mini Mac. As much as I love the thing, for the past two weeks it hardly connects to the WiFi. If it does its awfully slow. Ethernet is perfectly fine but WiFi is no go. I've used suggestions from here and other places and while it may work for a bit, it reverts back to the old behavior not too soon after. Sad face. Maybe Apple releases a firmware update soon. =p

Izick

I think I'm going to be trying the Macbook Air again (this time I'm buying one from Apple, not that shit-hole Best Buy) so that likely means I'll be going with an iPhone 5 over the competition as well for my first smart-phone.

What's the word on Apple routers? My Linksys from a few years back needs to be reset almost every two hours, so I figure it's time to move on. I should say that it was a huge pain in the ass to set up. Also, I'm not interested in anything hugely customizable, just something that's easy to maintain and whatnot.

What's the word on Apple routers? My Linksys from a few years back needs to be reset almost every two hours, so I figure it's time to move on. I should say that it was a huge pain in the ass to set up. Also, I'm not interested in anything hugely customizable, just something that's easy to maintain and whatnot.

A bit expensive. Fucking amazing.

Awesome. I love my airport express.

What makes them "fucking amazing" as compared to other routers?

They're pretty much as "fire and forget" as it gets, pretty easy to set-up (comes with it's own app) and very good signal strength and STABLE. None of my Apple routers I've ever owned has crashed on me, and my first one is now almost 10 years old and is still going strong (well, as strong as a b-standard router gets ;))

Plus they come with the obvious advantages of Apple products (service, compatiblity).

I've had a shitty hand me down router for a long time and just recently bought an Airport express. So easy to set up (I did it with my iPhone), no drops and my speeds are so much better now.

What makes them "fucking amazing" as compared to other routers?

Good speed. Super easy to set up. Can be controlled from iPhone, Mac, iPod, iPad, or PC. Super small. USB port for printing. 3.5mm jack on the Express for Airplay to speakers.

If you have a Mac you could get the one that has a built in hard drive and it will automatically back up with Time Machine.

Mac-gaf to the rescue!

- getting an SSD?
I just put an SSD in my late 2009 iMac and it's zomg flying. And that's with my iMac only supporting sata 3GB/s an not the full 6GB/s that my crutial SSD can do.

I don't know what sata 1 speeds is. Is that 3GB/s? If so then yes still worth it big time.

Good speed. Super easy to set up. Can be controlled from iPhone, Mac, iPod, iPad, or PC. Super small. USB port for printing. 3.5mm jack on the Express for Airplay to speakers.

If you have a Mac you could get the one that has a built in hard drive and it will automatically back up with Time Machine.

Does that mean that I could plug my speakers into the router, and then my MBA could access those speakers wirelessly? I'm buying one immediately if so (I'd be able to retire an ancient, immobile MBP I have lying around exclusively for iTunes).

Does that mean that I could plug my speakers into the router, and then my MBA could access those speakers wirelessly? I'm buying one immediately if so (I'd be able to retire an ancient, immobile MBP I have lying around exclusively for iTunes).

Yes. You should be able to AirPlay iTunes to a pair of speakers hooked up to the AirPort.

Yes. The airport express can do that. Your speakers have to be computer speakers with a 3.5mm jack or you could use speakers hooked up to a receiver.

Oddly enough only the express has the 3.5mm jack. The extreme and Time Capsule do not.

Oh yeah, Airplay is super awesome.
---I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, is there a way I can find out if it can read 3gb or 6gb? Looking to do a dual ssd/hdd set up in the future

Oh yeah, Airplay is super awesome.
---I have a 2010 MacBook Pro, is there a way I can find out if it can read 3gb or 6gb? Looking to do a dual ssd/hdd set up in the future
I think pretty much all pre-2011 computers (macs?) are 3gb. I may be wrong.

Also, the 2011 MacBooks I think only has one 6gb sata connection. The optical drive is 3gb.

FerranMG

So, regarding Airport Express/Extreme, would now be a good moment to get one, or are they due for an upgrade anytime?

I'd wait until November probably anyways, but I'm not sure how often does Apple upgrade things like these.

Also, would the fact that the Airport Extreme has a USB 2 port (instead of USB 3) affect download/streaming speeds if I connected a hard drive?

The_Joker

mac-gaf, i have question...

my old late 06 macbook is finally getting retired so i will buy a macbook air 13 standard model with 8gb ram in a week... how good will the gaming perfomance be? i know that macbooks aren't build for gaming but will i be able to play cs:s or even cs:go? if yes, will it be at minimum or can i even play at medium?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Source games run fine on OSX, even with the integrated graphics on the Intel chips. Those machines should also be able to handle a majority of the newer iOS transplants.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
mac-gaf, i have question...

my old late 06 macbook is finally getting retired so i will buy a macbook air 13 standard model with 8gb ram in a week... how good will the gaming perfomance be? i know that macbooks aren't build for gaming but will i be able to play cs:s of erven cs:go? if yes, will it be at minimum or can i even play at medium?

I play a fair amount of Starcraft II on my Air too.

Pachimari

Is it normal my MacBook Air 13" is always creaking? Also when typing. Have had it for 10 months but it have creaked since getting it.

So, regarding Airport Express/Extreme, would now be a good moment to get one, or are they due for an upgrade anytime?

I'd wait until November probably anyways, but I'm not sure how often does Apple upgrade things like these.

Also, would the fact that the Airport Extreme has a USB 2 port (instead of USB 3) affect download/streaming speeds if I connected a hard drive?

The Express was updated last WWDC IIRC

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I use an extreme as my basestation and have two expresses that continue the network throughout the house.. I love it, and airplay is indeed fanfuckingtastic :D

My extreme has an attached USB 1tb harddisk for my various machines to time machine on, and I have my USB printer hooked up into the upstairs express which allows that printer to be shared across the entire network with no computers needing to be on.. everything plays so nice together it's a dream... and 5GHz makes wireless network speeds nice and speedy too.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah for $80 you might as well. Office Mac team doesn't update at the same frequency as the Office Windows team.

I got office for Mac when I got my MacBook pro Christmas 2010, there have been many small performance and maintenance updates and the huge lion update which had full screen support. I'm not sure what else you could ask for, those saying Microsoft rarely updates and supports Mac office are lying

:) Mea culpa

Retina Display Now Supported Across Office for Mac 2011 Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint | Office For Mac

Edit: Mind you, i was already using Retinizer :p

JackEtc

What? Is this for real? YESSSS!!!!! I had just checked this morning, and there was no update, and I had finally given up on Microsoft ever updating Office for retina displays. So happy they did!

Edit: Mind you, i was already using Retinizer :p

Never heard of Retinizer before, I'll have to check that out too. Don't think you're link is working quite right though, Greyface.

EDIT: Just installed the Office update, and it looks the same. Maybe a little better, but still pretty bad. WTF -_-

EDIT 2: I tried using Retinizer on Word, and it said it was already Retina compatible, and to check to make sure "Open in Low Resolution" was not checked. I went and looked, and "Open in Low Resolution" IS checked, but greyed out, meaning I can't change it. *sigh*

Blackhead

Redarse
What? Is this for real? YESSSS!!!!! I had just checked this morning, and there was no update, and I had finally given up on Microsoft ever updating Office for retina displays. So happy they did!

Never heard of Retinizer before, I'll have to check that out too. Don't think you're link is working quite right though, Greyface.

EDIT: Just installed the update, and it looks the same. Wtf =\

I fixed the link. I installed over retinizer and can't tell if that made a difference; the template previews in Word's wizard still look low-res to my eyes though

Top Bottom