• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Mobius 1

Awesome. May I ask which parts were laggy for you? And was it the update specifically that smoothed it out?

Sorry, I should have elaborated.

Look a couple of pages back and you will see my posts about the initial state of the rMBP when I bought it. After a clean system restore, the performance improved considerably and I thought it was no longer an issue.

After the update today, I feel (and this is completely anecdotal evidence) that UI performance is equal to my 2011 MPB when running on the dGPU. It's great.

Again, I didn't benchmark it, so I could be making it up. But it's been fantastic.

Look a couple of pages back and you will see my posts about the initial state of the rMBP when I bought it. After a clean system restore, the performance improved considerably and I thought it was no longer an issue.

After the update today, I feel (and this is completely anecdotal evidence) that UI performance is equal to my 2011 MPB when running on the dGPU. It's great.

Again, I didn't benchmark it, so I could be making it up. But it's been fantastic.

yup same for me, no more lag when opening mission control

JayDub

Thanks. Did you ever find out if the improved performance was due to the discrete graphics (I noticed you said smooth under dGPU)?

So does anyone experience the UI lag/slowdown on the Retina MBP? Does the new ML update smooth things out?

After receiving mine today and basically adopting it as my daily driver right away i am pleased to say they fixed everything that was wrong with any laptop ever.
And the UI lag that I've seen on display models has vanished.

JayDub

After receiving mine today and basically adopting it as my daily driver right away i am pleased to say they fixed everything that was wrong with any laptop ever.
And the UI lag that I've seen on display models has vanished.

That sounds great. Congrats. Im still on the fence, but I really really want it. I have the OG 08 MBP Unibody, the one with the "user replaceable" battery cover. Its been going strong for 4 years (4 years this June, actually!), and I told myself I would buy the redesign. Its not even going slow (2GB of RAM, still, no upgrades at all). No slowdown, and the HDD is not even close to full. It can go another 2-3 years. Its truly amazing.

Thank god for this beautiful glass trackpad, it looks as new as it does the day I bought it. The whole body is, in fact. Very durable if you dont go slamming it on shit.

I remember when I first got it for 2200, and all my buds were calling me out:

"2200 for an Apple? You're just paying for the brand, sheep."

"2200 could give me specs 3x better on competing laptops"

"Really? 'Glass trackpad' and 'unibody' construction? You really drink that Apple koolaid, Jaydub. Enjoy your $2k glass trackpad"

One bought a Dell, one Alienware and one Sony. All, higher spec'd than my MBP at the time. All three laptops are long gone from slow and choppy performance (even after defrag, spybot, reformatted 3 times on average). Their plastic bodies looked all nasty after a year, the trackpad was a glossy mess. Fingers couldnt glide on it.

The ones with the Dell and Sony bought new laptops twice already, and the Alienware went to a gaming desktop (which he rebuilt twice, not from wear but for new components). My laptop still does everything as smooth as the day I bought it.

Necrovex

Maybe someone here can assist me. I just got myself a Macbook Air, and I am attempting to transfer iWork '09 over from my old Macbook. I tried the typical USB approach, but that doesn't seem to be working too well. So, is there anyway to transfer my iWork stuff to my Air without rebuying the products?

Also, do the new Macbook Air come with Mountain Lion, or will I have to make the purchase on the App store?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I use iMovie occasionally and I just noticed that for some reason sometimes the program saves a copy of the exported video inside the project package bloating the file size up unnecessarily. So basically if I export a video to my drive somewhere, it saves a copy of the same file inside itself. Not sure why it would do this though there's probably a reason. Either way I assume it's not required by iMovie anymore as it is a generated file and since I probably won't ever export the project again once it was finalized (And already uploaded to YouTune) so I deleted the files from each of my iMovie projects. There were 5.5GB worth. The odd thing is that a few of my projects didn't have an exported video for some reason and I can't find an option to turn it off. Odd.

I launched iMovie to make sure it still works and there aren't any problems so obviously the file isn't required, and can be recreated if need be since the Event files still exist.

Just an observation. (To check yourself open your iMovie Projects folder, wherever it or they may be located, and right click to "view package contents" and see if there's a folder called "Movies" in it.)

is there anyway to transfer my iWork stuff to my Air without rebuying the products?

Also, do the new Macbook Air come with Mountain Lion, or will I have to make the purchase on the App store?

Mountain Lion: yes, they have it.

iWork: Put the disc in the old Macbook, turn on disc sharing in System Prefs > Sharing, put MacBook and MacBook Air on the same network. Install on MacBook Air.

Is there a good chance we'll see some good deals this Black Friday on 512 SSDs?

I exchanged my 1TB 5400 RPM drive (Way too slow for editing) to a 750 GB Momentus XT...which is some sort of hybrid HDD/SSD. It's pretty nice...pretty fast too.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm trying to get my Wifi to work on my Macbook Pro while using Windows 7. I used the Boot Camp assistant and check the download support software option, but it still doesn't work. Google wasn't very helpful either.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm stupid.

I'm trying to get my Wifi to work on my Macbook Pro while using Windows 7. I used the Boot Camp assistant and check the download support software option, but it still doesn't work. Google wasn't very helpful either.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm stupid.

How much space did you end up partitioning? I made around 120GB...I'm not sure that's enough but all I need it for is a few games

Majine

Banned
Have some problem with Facetime, the mic keeps cutting off what my contact is saying alot of the time. I guess it's to keep the noice level down, and the lag is resulting in cutting him off at bad times, so I'd prefer to just keep the mic on at all times. Nothing in the settings, so does anyone know? ;(

daw840

Alright guys, I got a question for you. I just got an AppleTV and I can figure out pretty easily how to do all of the stuff on it except for actually mirroring what's on my MBP onto it. Any tips?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Alright guys, I got a question for you. I just got an AppleTV and I can figure out pretty easily how to do all of the stuff on it except for actually mirroring what's on my MBP onto it. Any tips?
Open the Displays preference pane in System Preferences. There are options at the bottom. Mine are disabled because I don't have an ATV, but see what they look like for you. Not sure if you also need to turn something on in the AppleTV itself too.

Your MBP might be too old. Should appear automatically in your status bar once a compatible MBP finds an Apple TV.

I am looking forward to new iMacs as well as of course the Mac minis. I was also reassured recently after reading Wikipedia as Intel's cheap thermal paste they used does not apply to the mobile processor line for Ivy Bridge.

Can someone recommend me a good messenger/satchel type laptop bag that would fit a 13'' MacBook Pro, and protect it well. I go to uni and usually carry other stuff as well, but I don't think I should be using my current bag because the laptop is a bit heavy for it.

Quick question: What is the fastest real-world Wi-Fi speed you have ever seen on a MacBook Air? I know it goes up to 300 Mbps theoretically, but i'm looking for real-world numbers for big local file transfers.

I can't get mine to go over ~7.5 MBps (~60 Mbps). I'm pretty sure the multiple routers i tried were the bottleneck, but i just want to check that it's not the MBA's fault.

JJD

Guys anyone having some weird issues with safari since the last update hit?

It will randomly close sometimes after I open a tab.

I get some plugin error every now and then on youtube.

Gifs are not playing correctly.

There's a lot of other stuff too, most minor issues.

It worked perfectly for me before I updated to Mountain Lion

gokieks

Can someone recommend me a good messenger/satchel type laptop bag that would fit a 13'' MacBook Pro, and protect it well. I go to uni and usually carry other stuff as well, but I don't think I should be using my current bag because the laptop is a bit heavy for it.

I'm a big fan of booq, who makes quality products.

Ovid

Guys anyone having some weird issues with safari since the last update hit?

It will randomly close sometimes after I open a tab.

I get some plugin error every now and then on youtube.

Gifs are not playing correctly.

There's a lot of other stuff too, most minor issues.

It worked perfectly for me before I updated to Mountain Lion
Yeah, I need help with this too. I want to fully enjoy my GAF experience.

Mid-2012 MacBook Air.

This sucks. I've used Apple computers exclusively since the IIGS in the 80s, and I've never been this annoyed by one.

My 24" iMac (Radeon 2600) runs fine until it falls asleep. After waking up, it runs at about 1/3 normal speed until I restart it completely. It's never done this until last week, and I've never had another Mac do this (well over 15 now between personal and work machines).

Extremely annoying.

The 128GB is more then enough, is the 4GB RAM going to offer a lag free experience? She's basically going to use it for Internet and Microsoft Office

ibu

The 128GB is more then enough, is the 4GB RAM going to offer a lag free experience? She's basically going to use it for Internet and Microsoft Office

4GB will be more than enough for what she plans to use it for, at least for the next 4-5 years (or more).

DMczaf

I ended up returning it and getting a 64GB iPad instead. I loved the Macbook Air, but I just wanted something more mobile for what I want to use it for. When I go hunting for a laptop again, I won't be able to settle for anything less than a Macbook Air though. Just from the 1-2 days of using it I was VERY impressed.

It's 3 weeks later and I own a Macbook Air again!

Things happened, decisions were made.

Top Bottom