• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
2nd gen can be jailbroken, the 3rd gen can't be.
Interesting. Makes sense I guess. I just wish they'd put apps on it already. It would open up a whole world of possibilities. And I don't mean buying iOS apps on your iPhone and streaming them to the TV. Full fledged TV apps with the ability to use an iOS device as a remote or in conjunction with the iPhone/iPad version of the same app.

coldfoot

Banned
Bit the bullet and ordered a loaded (except for 512 SSD lol) 13" MBA from Macmall. Came out cheaper than the base level MBP retina and got free overnight shipping. I use it most of the time connected to an external monitor.

Sanic

Not sure where most appropriate to ask this, but is there not any way to have a single google drive folder that syncs between with both my mac and my bootcamp install?

gokieks

Not sure where most appropriate to ask this, but is there not any way to have a single google drive folder that syncs between with both my mac and my bootcamp install?

You can have a partition that's exFAT which both Windows and MacOS can natively read/write, and then use that for a cloud-synced folder.

Because people buy an iMAC to play games? Who the hell plays games on a mac desktop? They aren't made for that. If you like pc games, you buy a pc. not a MAc.

2011 iMac in Bootcamp has worked fine for me personally for whenever there's a PC game I'm interested in. Not on par with a gaming PC, but for more casual gamers a Mac's not terrible or anything for gaming.

FerranMG

I need to connect my Macbook Air 2012 to a VGA display.
I have a Thunderbolt - HDMI cable, and I have a VGA - VGA cable.

Do I need to get a Thunderbolt - VGA adapter, or does an HDMI - VGA adapter exist?
Is there anything cheaper than the 30€ Apple adapter?

I need to connect my Macbook Air 2012 to a VGA display.
I have a Thunderbolt - HDMI cable, and I have a VGA - VGA cable.

Do I need to get a Thunderbolt - VGA adapter, or does an HDMI - VGA adapter exist?
Is there anything cheaper than the 30€ Apple adapter?

Have you checked Newegg?

oatmeal

Banned
I wish they'd let me price out an iMac. I may replace my Mac Pro tower with one of these.

Kepler GPU....drool. If it was Retina, it'd be a no brainer.

2011 iMac in Bootcamp has worked fine for me personally for whenever there's a PC game I'm interested in. Not on par with a gaming PC, but for more casual gamers a Mac's not terrible or anything for gaming.

not terrible. But always behind on current specs for gaming. FINE for gaming. But not fine for people who want the best out of their pc games. It's not a priority in any any way for Apple desktops.

And_here_we_go.gif

Sigh...

What?... I've been working on a mac since 1997. Love it. But i don't think Apple is supporting gaming enough. You can play games on it. But again: if you really want to get a lot out of pc games. Buy a gaming pc.
I didn't say anything shoking, unless you are easily offended.

The top of the line iMac will have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB of GDDR5 memory. That's great for a lot of games. But some pc gamers will giggle. Surely you understand?

Sec0nd

Been noticing some pretty annoying behaviour from my 2011 13" mbp with an i7. Whenever I do something that is really heavy, like motion tracking or whatever in After Effects, the computer becomes really slow (obviously). However when I stop and shut down the program, the computer continues being slow as fuck for an extremely long time unless I reboot my computer. I don't really know what is causing this or if I could fix it somehow. Anyone knows?

Miker

Been noticing some pretty annoying behaviour from my 2011 13" mbp with an i7. Whenever I do something that is really heavy, like motion tracking or whatever in After Effects, the computer becomes really slow (obviously). However when I stop and shut down the program, the computer continues being slow as fuck for an extremely long time unless I reboot my computer. I don't really know what is causing this or if I could fix it somehow. Anyone knows?

Check activity monitor and see if the process actually closed?

I kinda want the new iMac man, but that GPU hurts... I'd be better off buying a current gen with the 6670(?) in it right? And just buying more RAM etc.?

Sanic

You can have a partition that's exFAT which both Windows and MacOS can natively read/write, and then use that for a cloud-synced folder.

Thanks, ill look into that!

Also, why do I not receive any kind of low power warnings? My computer will just go to sleep when it's nearly dead. A search has brought up a few results but none seem relevant for a brand new computer.

LCfiner

I kinda want the new iMac man, but that GPU hurts... I'd be better off buying a current gen with the 6670(?) in it right? And just buying more RAM etc.?

pretty sure the current gen models still use the M versions of all these chips. so getting a new one will likely still give you better performance than the current model with the ~2 year old mobile GPU.

Chris R

What do you mean the GPU hurts? The only thing that hurts about it is you can't get the GTX 680M in anything but the $2k model :<

JayDub

Whats everyone's take on Parallels? Is it true that if you want the new version, you have to pay full price? No upgrade pricing? And is it true that if a new version releases, you get bombarded with ads to upgrade?

Hows performance? What kind of performance hit should I expect between this and Bootcamp? CPU and GPU performance hits?

Krelian

Whats everyone's take on Parallels? Is it true that if you want the new version, you have to pay full price? No upgrade pricing? And is it true that if a new version releases, you get bombarded with ads to upgrade?

Hows performance? What kind of performance hit should I expect between this and Bootcamp? CPU and GPU performance hits?
Do you have any experience with virtual machines? It's basically a computer inside your computer so it shares some memory and CPU/GPU with your host OS, in this case OS X. Because of this it can't ever be as fast as native Windows, i.e. Bootcamp.

Looking to buy a 15" rMBP in a few weeks since my 2007 MB is about to die. Anyone know where the best place to purchase AppleCare? Or should I just auto register when I purchase the laptop?

JayDub

Do you have any experience with virtual machines? It's basically a computer inside your computer so it shares some memory and CPU/GPU with your host OS, in this case OS X. Because of this it can't ever be as fast as native Windows, i.e. Bootcamp.

Yes, I do understand that there will be a hit in performance, I'd just like to know how big that hit is.

Krelian

Yes, I do understand that there will be a hit in performance, I'd just like to know how big that hit is.
Virtualization has come a long way. If you set aside enough memory (at least 2GB) and have a good enough CPU (Core 2 Duo upwards) you won't notice much difference in anything but CPU or GPU intensive programs like games or video/audio encoders.

The_Joker

i have a question regarding the magsafe2... i just noticed that the green light dims out slowly after my mba13 2012 is fully charged...i have my macbook air since 3 weeks and haven't noticed that before...

it goes completely black but you can see that it is still plugged in and that the computer recognizes it...when i replug it, it becomes green again and after 15-30 seconds starts to get weaker and weaker until it's black again...

so what's happening?

coldfoot

Banned
how'd you find that out?
Disk is easy, you just need to look at disk management. If your SSD model is Apple SMxxxe it's a samsung, if it's TSxxxE it's a Toshiba. xxx is the capacity i.e. 128, 256, 512.

For the screen, open up terminal and paste the following and press return:
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

It will give the model number, which you can Google to find out who makes it.

Borman

Ended up buying the rMBP 13. Still not happy with the graphics, but the 15 was just too big, and the Air would have ended up costing a similar price if I spec'd it out a bit, so it was still worth it. No regrets :)

Disk is easy, you just need to look at disk management. If your SSD model is Apple SMxxxe it's a samsung, if it's TSxxxE it's a Toshiba. xxx is the capacity i.e. 128, 256, 512.

For the screen, open up terminal and paste the following and press return:
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

It will give the model number, which you can Google to find out who makes it.

command doesn't work for me. Just says Color LCD. No model no. MBPr 15inch.

My SSD is a samsung though.

Iacobellis

If I order a Mac online through Apple and want software such as Pages pre-installed, will it be added to my purchase history on the Mac App Store in case I ever need to download the software again?

LCfiner

I thought these benchmarks of the rMBP 13" were worth posting in here for anyone on the fence between the 13" and 15" models for creative pro work.

http://www.barefeats.com/rmbp13.html

basically, the 15" rMBP is twice as fast (or way more) in all these benchmarks from photoshop to final cut, aperture and more.

the dual core CPU and lack of dedicated GPU makes the 13" Pro perform like a Macbook air with a nicer screen. disappointing. the 15" rMBP is still pretty awesome, though.

Pachimari

Is it normal that my MacBook Air is blinking blue quickly when I wake it up from sleep? Is it about to die? It's only 11 months old.

Got a small shallow scratch in my Air's screen :(

Fucking dogs...

Anything I can do to fix it or am I fucked? Got it in August and this is really got me upset that it happened so soon.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is it normal that my MacBook Air is blinking blue quickly when I wake it up from sleep? Is it about to die? It's only 11 months old.
It doesn't happen on mine (1 year old). Only time I may see a blue screen is when I disconnect it from an external monitor and it takes a second to mix everything in the single screen.

Have you tried a safe boot (not sure how likely it is to help but it's worth a try)? Also, check if your HD is close to full, if so it's a good idea to leave some breathing room.

coldfoot

Banned
I did not realize how much I would enjoy the MBA. I had exclusively used my laptops on the desk, but the MBA is the first laptop that I am still comfortable using while laying down...

Sometime in 2013 is when a new Mac Pro is set to be announced. I would like some thoughts from those who have owned one. Do you think Apple can bring it back up to speed or will it be a colossal disappointment?

Parallels is great if you want a windows VM while in osx. It's not great if you want gaming performance from windows. Use bootcamp for that.

Parallels has a 14day free trial. Test it out.

Install bootcamp first, do your windows install there.

Install parallels and point it to your bootcamp install. You get to use the same image for both.

Sometime in 2013 is when a new Mac Pro is set to be announced. I would like some thoughts from those who have owned one. Do you think Apple can bring it back up to speed or will it be a colossal disappointment?
I have no idea. I'm assuming they'll have the Ivy Bridge Xeon CPU, and hopefully they'll allow for the top of the line nVidia graphics cards to be available for it, and then it's all about how they implement Thunderbolt into it, since I'm not sure how that'll work in a machine that also has PCI slots in it as well as a discrete graphics card.

I'll definitely be buying it if it's good enough, otherwise I'll just settle for a top of the line iMac.

JayDub

Parallels is great if you want a windows VM while in osx. It's not great if you want gaming performance from windows. Use bootcamp for that.

Parallels has a 14day free trial. Test it out.

Install bootcamp first, do your windows install there.

Install parallels and point it to your bootcamp install. You get to use the same image for both.

That sounds great! Thanks!

Michan

I have recently moved country with my retina MacBook Pro 15", and will be picking up a Wii U this December. I'm not here for too long so don't really want to commit to buying a TV if it can be avoided.

Is there any way I can use my MacBook Pro as a target display for the Wii U?

MrMephistoX

Okay here's a question for you all. My work is generously giving everyone the option of upgrading to either a Macbook pro (the i7 fat model but with an 256 GB SSD and 8 gb of ram) or Macbook Air with the same specs. Which one would you go with? I have a retina MBPl at home and so I'd love to try out an Air but would hate to run into performance bottlenecks with the crappy version of VM ware that our IT department is running instead of bootcamp.

Majine

Banned
Okay here's a question for you all. My work is generously giving everyone the option of upgrading to either a Macbook pro (the i7 fat model but with an 256 GB SSD and 8 gb of ram) or Macbook Air with the same specs. Which one would you go with? I have a retina MBPl at home and so I'd love to try out an Air but would hate to run into performance bottlenecks with the crappy version of VM ware that our IT department is running instead of bootcamp.

I only have an Air, so can't speak for the other team, but it's quite a beefy little machine for its size. You think you're going to use the discslot in the Phat Pro? The IO?

MrMephistoX

I only have an Air, so can't speak for the other team, but it's quite a beefy little machine for its size. You think you're going to use the discslot in the Phat Pro? The IO?

I can't imagine so we're all about cloud computing and can honestly say that I haven't used a disc in the 3 years that I've been here.

Top Bottom