• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Blackhead

Redarse
I have recently moved country with my retina MacBook Pro 15", and will be picking up a Wii U this December. I'm not here for too long so don't really want to commit to buying a TV if it can be avoided.

Is there any way I can use my MacBook Pro as a target display for the Wii U?

You will need a capture device. Something like this:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/417144.html

Unfortunately that's not good enough for gaming; the lag would be unbearable or settle for no HD. I researched this extensively when I got my MBPr and there isn't anything available right now (not even for the Thunderbolt Apple Cinema Display either).

I would like a new Mac and I thought I'd be dead set on getting a new iMac, but I think a Mac Mini would be enough for my needs. I am not interested in gaming, but I do use Lightroom for editing RAWs from my DSLR which is probably as intensive as it get's. I am sure the on-board GFX would be able to play 1080p videos without issue too, right? It would also be used for working from home, but that's generally MS Office and possibly Unity on the side.

The iMac is super awesome, but I am not sure I need to spend that sort of money really.

2012 Mac Mini got enough grunt to use these programs?

I was thinking I'd use my 32" Sony HDTV as a monitor, but this seems good. Display Port too. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005LNDPPS/

LCfiner

I would like a new Mac and I thought I'd be dead set on getting a new iMac, but I think a Mac Mini would be enough for my needs. I am not interested in gaming, but I do use Lightroom for editing RAWs from my DSLR which is probably as intensive as it get's. I am sure the on-board GFX would be able to play 1080p videos without issue too, right? It would also be used for working from home, but that's generally MS Office and possibly Unity on the side.

The iMac is super awesome, but I am not sure I need to spend that sort of money really.

2012 Mac Mini got enough grunt to use these programs?

I was thinking I'd use my 32" Sony HDTV as a monitor, but this seems good. Display Port too. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005LNDPPS/

Yes. but you may want to get the higher priced quad core model. And, of course, max the RAM out yourself and don't pay Apple's markups for it.

Trouble

Banned
I got the 13" Retina on Monday. Upgrading from a mid 2010 11" Air.

Size-wise it's a good compromise for me. I really liked how portable the Air was, but 4GB of un-upgradeable RAM was killing me. I really wish the 13" could have been configured with 16 like the 15", but 8 should be good enough for my purposes for a couple of years.

So far I'm very happy. The screen is fantastic, really had a bigger impact on me than I expected. Going back to a lower DPI screen in kind of jarring. I find myself searching for retina capable alternatives to apps that I use that aren't updated yet (hurry up TextWrangler!).

Two thunderbolt/display ports and being able to drive two external monitors was kinda the driving force for me since I'm using this as my primary work machine. I'm really looking forward to the day when high DPI external monitors are the norm.

SeanR1221

I need help asap. Im selling my MacBook Air (with Lion) and I'm trying to erase everything before selling it.

I started it up holding command+R and selected the HDD and pushed erase. Um...I don't think I did the right thing because when I restarted it a folder with a question mark appears.

Please help me guys, I'm selling this in like 10 hours.

Edit figured it out!

I'm having an issue with the MacBook pro retina track pad. I got the computer about a month after release(so 4ish months??) And the track pad is acting weird already. The left side is noticeably sunken into the body and will express will little force. While the right side is s almost flush with the body and take considerably more force to depress.

Is this a normal issue for macs? Should I contact apple about it or will they just tell me to go to an apple store?

coldfoot

Banned
I'm having an issue with the MacBook pro retina track pad. I got the computer about a month after release(so 4ish months??) And the track pad is acting weird already. The left side is noticeably sunken into the body and will express will little force. While the right side is s almost flush with the body and take considerably more force to depress.

Is this a normal issue for macs? Should I contact apple about it or will they just tell me to go to an apple store?

Sounds like the one of the batteries is swelling up and pushing up against the trackpad. Go to the Apple store and have them replace the defective battery cell.

hiro4

What should something like that cost for them to fix? Should the track pad be easy to press?

If within the first year they will take care of the costs. My MBPs battery have swollen twice with the first time I went to the store where they did a full check up on my Mac and the battery and replaced my battery free of charge. My MBP was perfectly fine.

Though I also had the trackpad issue but since I could remove the battery I just removed it and kept using it. You might want to stop using it.

If within the first year they will take care of the costs. My MBPs battery have swollen twice with the first time I went to the store where they did a full check up on my Mac and the battery and replaced my battery free of charge. My MBP was perfectly fine.

Though I also had the trackpad issue but since I could remove the battery I just removed it and kept using it. You might want to stop using it.

Wow. Is this a common issue for macs? Could this have happened because I keep it on the charger even if its at 100% for hours to a day without any use?

I should also mention that today was the first time I ever heard the fan running today. It sounded like it was raining, but then I realized it was the fan. I don't know if that has anything to do with he battery or not.

Sounds like the one of the batteries is swelling up and pushing up against the trackpad. Go to the Apple store and have them replace the defective battery cell.
ugh I hope this doesn't happen to mine. I had so many problems with my last MBP related to this. They replaced a few batteries for free but then it kept happening once the computer was out of warranty and I just stopped putting batteries in it. I don't have that option with this model.

Wow. Is this a common issue for macs? Could this have happened because I keep it on the charger even if its at 100% for hours to a day without any use?
Yes. They say your computer will be fine with the charger plugged in and not discharging the battery but they're full of shit.

No, it's a battery defect. LiPoly/LiIon have very dense, powerful chemistries that are reliable in general, but sometimes they just go bad. As it is all Li rechargeable electronics batteries have built-in circuitry to prevent overcharging, sip charging, etc. It's possible that failed instead but as I understand it, it's usually just something in the chemical printing process that failed instead.

Laptops tend to notice these problems more because:
a) high heat (extreme heat/cold can damage Lithium batteries or their lifetime)
b) high power drain (more chemistry stress)
c) high density (more complex, more that go wrong...)

Interesting note. I have 16%battery now and the track pad seems fine now.

I guess I'll call the closest apple store(2 hours away) and see what they will do for me.

also, the top of the trackpad is much harder t press than any other part. is this normal???

Hey guys, is it normal that scrolling in Chrome isn't always as silky smooth as Safari? It gets kinda stuttery, even on relatively simple websites like GAF. It goes back to normal for a while after a full reboot.

13" MBA, 2012.

hulot

So I've been enjoying this month-old MBPr outside of a few odd crashes but now my webcam isn't working anymore. I used it a week ago but when I tried to use it yesterday, it wasn't detected. System Information doesn't even list it under the USB header and I've already reset PRAM, SMC, and tried safe booting. Anyone know what the problem is and if it is kaput, does Apple send me a new laptop or do I have to send in mine first (it's built to order)?

Hey guys. I'm looking for a macbook that I can use purely for just XCode to practice up some Objective-C (I've tried it on my personal laptop, it doesn't run too smoothly and it breaks after an arbitrary amount of minutes).

I've seen quite a few on Ebay that are about 400-500 bucks (that fits my budget I guess), but I dunno if dem specs be what I need.

Could someone tell me the minimum requirements to at least emulate an iPhone emulator smoothly?

One of the macbooks I was looking at has something like an Intel Core 2 Duo with 2.16 ghz, 4 gigs of ram, a sata hdd and an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600.

It's like 450-500 but I dunno if I should buy it. I've read elsewhere that more Ram would be necessary as well as a maybe an SSD and a better processor. I figured I'd ask you guys though. I really only want one for xCode since I've already my own personal computer.

Edit: Found one.

Checked out the new 13" Pro at the store today, I think I might be in love. DAT RETINA. But almost more impressive is how light it feels, it really doesn't feel that much heavier than the 13" Air. So tempted...

hiro4

Yeah you shouldn't leave it in all the time. I completely screwed up my second battery that way. I also never calibrated it. So partly my own fault.

My first battery worked for nearly 3 years before swelling suddenly. My second didn't even last two years. It lost its charge way too fast also due to misbehavior.

I've been taking care of my 3rd one a lot better. Only charging it when it is below 20%. Always charge to 100% is possible and then remove the charger as soon as I notice.

Ephemeris

Checked out the new 13" Pro at the store today, I think I might be in love. DAT RETINA. But almost more impressive is how light it feels, it really doesn't feel that much heavier than the 13" Air. So tempted...

I checked it out a few days ago. I wanted to make this my machine since June. My problem is that I want 256GB's at least!

The moment I do that, I'm in Retina 15-inch territory :/

Trouble

Banned

I'm loving the 13" Retina. The screen really is amazing. I just wish it had a BTO option for 16GB of RAM. I wouldn't have complained about a discrete GPU either, but overall I'm quite happy with it.

As much as I fawn over the screen, I'm downright giddy about the Nexus 10 because it's the same damn resolution on a 10" screen. :eek:

Picked up Airport Express to extend my wifi range, it looks exactly like Apple TV but white, sleek and ridiculously easy to setup, works great

Now give me damn iMac already!

So my 2009 MBP with 2GB has been slow as shit ever since I clean installed Lion last year, especially the last couple of days for some reason. I'm talking long ass start up times, insane lag and beachballing when typing in text, and youtube videos bringing my computer to a halt. It used to fly on SL.

I'm guessing this is a RAM problem? I looked in activity monitor and my free RAM is around 300MB and page outs at 7GB. If I upgrade to 8GB RAM, would that make it snappy again like before? My HDD is mostly free so I doubt that's the issue.

Also, my RAM is DDR3 1067. Do I have to use the same exact kind or is it compatible with the newer ones? Any downsides going with 8GB over 4GB?

njean777

So my 2009 MBP with 2GB has been slow as shit ever since I clean installed Lion last year, especially the last couple of days for some reason. I'm talking long ass start up times, insane lag and beachballing when typing in text, and youtube videos bringing my computer to a halt. It used to fly on SL.

I'm guessing this is a RAM problem? I looked in activity monitor and my free RAM is around 300MB and page outs at 7GB. If I upgrade to 8GB RAM, would that make it snappy again like before? My HDD is mostly free so I doubt that's the issue.

Also, my RAM is DDR3 1067. Do I have to use the same exact kind or is it compatible with the newer ones? Any downsides going with 8GB over 4GB?

Most likely your ram, def upgrade if you can. I run with 4gb and even sometimes that can be slow (depending on what I am doing). 8gb will future proof it more then 4 and ram is really cheap right now so there is no point in only going 4gb if you are going to buy ram. I would stay with the same speed ram you have now just to be safe.

Picked up Airport Express to extend my wifi range, it looks exactly like Apple TV but white, sleek and ridiculously easy to setup, works great

Now give me damn iMac already!

I agree, I picked up and extreme and it was the easiest router I have ever set up, been working great for our family for 4 months now. Every other router I bought would act up after about a month.

gimz

My macbook pro has been backing up on itself on my internal HDD... and its taking up 110GB of my space now, tried many different ways but still can't remove it, i already have my time machine backup on my external hdd regularly, or did the thing people said would work from typing a sentence in terminal :/

if i still can't find a resolution i might just format my mac and clean install with my time machine again

I agree, I picked up and extreme and it was the easiest router I have ever set up, been working great for our family for 4 months now. Every other router I bought would act up after about a month.

When it comes to Apple's wireless routers the "it just works" saying actually applies

Sapiens

When it comes to Apple's wireless routers the "it just works" saying actually applies

I've never had to restart mine save for applying updates. Very stable, very fast.

Expensive as fuck compared to a netgear or whatever, but its stood the test of three years usage sans problem.

Just got a 15" MacBook Pro. Any ideas on how to install Windows 8 on Boot Camp if I don't have a DVD drive? Can I download it and load it onto a USB drive or will I absolutely need a USB DVD drive?

RBH

I have a 2012 13" MBA (i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD), and I've got this $100 gift card that I've held onto for awhile.

Any recommendations from the Mac App Store to use this $100 gift card on?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So I think my HDD is on its last legs. What are the SSDs to look for? Hopefully she'll last until Black Friday/Digital Monday.

oatmeal

Banned
My MBP has been shitbince a car accident and I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive.

Ordered a Samsung 830 256gb drive for it. Gonna make it sing!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Might I suggest learning how to touch type?

I went from a Logitech Illuminated keyboard to the Apple wireless recently, and had to learn proper touch typing to work in the dark. Ultimately worth it!
How did you learn?
I used Marvis Beacon back in the day
I never learned to type properly actually. I taught myself over the years. I used to have to look at the keyboard to type when I first started using computers in 198x but now I can type pretty fast. Now, mind you I don't set my fingers on the keyboard and use all of them. I actually just use my index fingers 95% of the time with left thumb for space and left pinky for SHIFT. Right pinky for Return. But I can type pretty fast like that. And don't need to look at the keyboard. Even on an iPad keyboard. And I'm getting pretty good at typing without looking on an iPhone keyboard too. Though I make a lot more mistakes that way so I usually look at the screen to make sure I'm not hitting Enter instead of Apostrophe or something silly.

How did you learn?
I used Marvis Beacon back in the day

I used typingweb.com. There are whole bunch of similar websites out there, free to use. I do like fifteen minutes per day.

With the weird freestyle typing technique i had settled on over the years (like Abed's), i could do like 40 wpm, with errors all over the place and constantly having to look at the keyboard. Now, after 8 weeks of practice, i can do 80 wpm at 99% accuracy without ever looking at the keyboard. And there is still room to get faster.

Learning was frustrating for the first few days because i was typing much slower than i would have without the proper technique. But it's totally worth it once you get to the other side.

To stay on topic: I need to look into Typing of the Dead for mac! That shit would be so much more fun now.

TUSR

Banned
I figured I would bring this here before I go to the local Apple Store or authorized Apple Reseller.

Out of no where im having troubles with screen tearing and hang ups. Ive tried both GPUs and they both produce the same results.

Ive already reset my PRAM, and verified disk permissions because I thought it was OS related.

Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oRfu3ihEXMI

Note: I can still play games on W7 partition and OSX without any noticeable difference...

ckohler

How much of a difference does having an i7 make versus an i5? I do a lot of video editing and am looking at either a new iMac or possibly a Mac Mini.

(I currently have a 3Ghz Core2Duo iMac).

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone tried to roll their own fusion drive from SSD/HDD? Might like that better than distinct drives I am using in my MBP.

Curious how it treats or works with bootcamp.

I've had my MacBook Air for about two weeks now. It's my first ever Mac computer.

Over the years I have owned a number of $1500-$2000+ Windows laptops with specs that were considered crazy at the time. This MBA is hands-down, without question, the BEST laptop I have ever owned by miles. I've never been this happy with a computer purchase. I don't see myself going back to windows for a long, long time if ever.

Top Bottom