• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

SeanR1221

I got offered anti virus software about 5 times today when buying my Pro. Along with a speech that, "While everyone says you won't get viruses on these, we get MacBooks in here (Best Buy) all the time."

Iacobellis

I got offered anti virus software about 5 times today when buying my Pro. Along with a speech that, "While everyone says you won't get viruses on these, we get MacBooks in here (Best Buy) all the time."

Antivirus software on a Mac is as much of a ripoff as Geek Squad itself.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Laugh in their faces and tell them to sell you the damn computer already before you take your business to the Apple Store down the street. (I assume you don't have one else you'd be there instead? Or did BB have a really big sale? Either way, threaten to take business elsewhere if he says another word about virus software.)

Aw hell, I'm too nice a guy. I wouldn't have the balls to say it like that. Though those Geek Squad people do deserve it. They're only pushing it to get more money out of you. And that's all they work for. They should be ashamed of themselves. Thing is you can't say anything without sounding like a stereotypical smug Mac user. "Oh, I don't need that. My new Mac will be impervious to malware." Really all it takes is common sense.

I'd tell him, "No thanks. I'll take my chances. And the next time you see me will be when I actually get a virus." Then never see him again.

mj1108

I know it's a job, but I would feel absolutely awful trying to sell someone antivirus software for a Mac.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I know it's a job, but I would feel absolutely awful trying to sell someone antivirus software for a Mac.
Which is why I don't work any job where they make you try and sell people stuff you know is useless. I worked at a toy store once and absolutely hated trying to get people to join the "Family Fun Club". I also won't work for commission. Which is the same basic thing. Selling people something they don't need because you get more money for it. It's wrong and I won't do it.

TUSR

Banned
Which is why I don't work any job where they make you try and sell people stuff you know is useless. I worked at a toy store once and absolutely hated trying to get people to join the "Family Fun Club". I also won't work for commission. Which is the same basic thing. Selling people something they don't need because you get more money for it. It's wrong and I won't do it.

I was the same way when I worked at Future Shop (Canadian Best Buy). Decided selling something I wasn't passionate about to be pointless.

SeanR1221

I had Reward Zone credit, or else I'd be at the Apple store.

The guy even went as far to say how he would fail his geek squad training if he answered "no" to the question "Can Macs get viruses."

I just had a glazed over look.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I had Reward Zone credit, or else I'd be at the Apple store.

The guy even went as far to say how he would fail his geek squad training if he answered "no" to the question "Can Macs get viruses."

I just had a glazed over look.
See, that is why I won't work Geek Squad. I like fixing the machines. I don't like the management forcing you to take advantage of the customers at every chance they get.

I really feel like rewatching Chuck for some strange reason.

nib95

Banned
The actual resolution of the screen is only 2880x1880

From Anandtech's review

That makes sense. 2880x1880 wallpapers for some reason look crisper on my 17" 1980x1200 screen than they did on my old Retina. Maybe a 3840 x 2400 wallpaper would look better?

On a side note, isn't 3840 x 2400 absolutely bonkers? Surely that's unnecessary strain on the hardware? Can't they optimise so instead of having to downsample from 3840 down to 2880, it just upscales 1980 to 2880 direct?

Still really bloody annoyed Apple discontinued the 17" model. A 17" MBPr would have been insane. Not really even for the retina, rather that slim body coupled with high performance and a large screen.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
On a side note, isn't 3840 x 2400 absolutely bonkers? Surely that's unnecessary strain on the hardware? Can't they optimise so instead of having to downsample from 3840 down to 2880, it just upscales 1980 to 2880 direct?
You don't seem to understand how the Retina scaling works. Upscaling would be taking a small image and stretching it. Losing definition.

nib95

Banned
You don't seem to understand how the Retina scaling works. Upscaling would be taking a small image and stretching it. Losing definition.

Beg your pardon. What I meant was, can it not scale 2880 as 1920 (as the workable real estate) instead of scaling 3840 as 1920?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Beg your pardon. What I meant was, can it not scale 2880 as 1920 (as the workable real estate) instead of scaling 3840 as 1920?
OS X on a Retina display (When HiDPI mode is enabled) draws everything at twice its size. So anything that was say 22 pixels high, like the titlebars or menubars, will be 44 pixels with higher resolution imagery.

It draws everything at exactly 2x and then makes it fit on the screen's native resolution because it's simpler for the system to handle and results in no artifacting. (The kind of artifacting that occurs in graphical programs when drawing at decimal points instead of whole numbers.)

Technically you could probably tell the OS (Through third party apps I guess) to just output say 1280x800 or 1440x900 or possibly 1680x1050 and have the screen handle the scaling, but then you're defeating the purpose of Retina and ending up with terrible antialiasing and low definition like you're watching a DVD on a HDTV. And yes it would be easier on the graphics card, but then again, it'd be totally losing the reason for Retina.

Requiem

So my plan is to buy a 13in MacBook Air and an iPad mini, is this dumb? I have a shitty netbook that is terrible so I need a new computer. The iPad mini is purely to replace my iPad 2 (sold).

Anyone else have this set up? Does it seem like a waste of money or repetitive?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So my plan is to buy a 13in MacBook Air and an iPad mini, is this dumb? I have a shitty netbook that is terrible so I need a new computer. The iPad mini is purely to replace my iPad 2 (sold).

Anyone else have this set up? Does it seem like a waste of money or repetitive?
Nope. This is what I do. Both devices perform different tasks at different times. There's times when you need a real laptop and times when you just need an iPad.

So the room where our new iMac is set up gets pretty shitty wifi reception. Running ethernet into that room would be a pain so is there any other solution to improve the wifi signal? Can an Airport Express be used like a wifi signal extender or something?

So the room where our new iMac is set up gets pretty shitty wifi reception. Running ethernet into that room would be a pain so is there any other solution to improve the wifi signal? Can an Airport Express be used like a wifi signal extender or something?

Yep..

I've got 2 of them that I use for exactly that purpose.

SeanR1221

Damn I love everything about the Pro except the weight.

Going from MacBook Air -> Lenovo Yoga -> MacBook Pro, I feel this is the best.

There's no denying how great the weight of the Air is, along with the startup speed of the SSD, but I want to use this laptop for a while, so being able to easily upgrade it to 8GB of memory and having a 500GB HDD is huge to me. Plus, if I want portability, I'll take my iPad with me.

JayDub

Just checked out the iMac. I never cared about Mac's desktop lineup before today, but holy shit. That thing is so beautiful. Complaints about the "rump" is exaggerated. The illusion the tapering effect does really doesn't make it look big at all.

I've always been a Mac laptop guy, but this..ooooooo

Why not just use it as the wifi router?

SeanR1221

Just checked out the iMac. I never cared about Mac's desktop lineup before today, but holy shit. That thing is so beautiful. Complaints about the "rump" is exaggerated. The illusion the tapering effect does really doesn't make it look big at all.

I've always been a Mac laptop guy, but this..ooooooo

Why not just use it as the wifi router?

Yeah it's pretty sexy. I got my iMac in 08 and recently upgraded it to 4gb of memory. I don't use it very often so I could probably wait until around 2014-2015 models to upgrade.

Still really bloody annoyed Apple discontinued the 17" model. A 17" MBPr would have been insane. Not really even for the retina, rather that slim body coupled with high performance and a large screen.
Primary reason why this will probably be my last Mac. There is a 17" market and I'm in it and not interested in downsizing.

Still very disappointed.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
so I want to get this firewire external
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ELBSWO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But if I'm spending around 200 on a drive, and let's say I get a retina macbook pro in the future is there a firewire 800 to usb 3 cable available?
I was looking at this too but I went with the seagate backup plus (or goflex) that has interchangeable interconnects. Comes with USB3 and you can get a firewire plug. Use firewire now and have native usb3 or thunder bolt support when you are ready that was my trade off.

A lot cheaper too

Damn I love everything about the Pro except the weight.

Going from MacBook Air -> Lenovo Yoga -> MacBook Pro, I feel this is the best.

There's no denying how great the weight of the Air is, along with the startup speed of the SSD, but I want to use this laptop for a while, so being able to easily upgrade it to 8GB of memory and having a 500GB HDD is huge to me. Plus, if I want portability, I'll take my iPad with me.

How did you like the Yoga? I've been in the market for a laptop and keep going back and forth... Air or Ultrabook.

I was looking at this too but I went with the seagate backup plus (or goflex) that has interchangeable interconnects. Comes with USB3 and you can get a firewire plug. Use firewire now and have native usb3 or thunder bolt support when you are ready that was my trade off.

A lot cheaper too
Is there a Goflex that's 2TB? I had a backup plus but that's way too cumbersome to plug in and move around. That hard drive broke just because it was in my backpack.

I updated the GPU to 3.4 i7 on my 27" iMac and the best the apple rep told me is that delivery would be January 2-8 with free expedited shipping, though he said he will try his best to get it to what I had be before December 21-28.

Sucks I may have to wait a couple more weeks, hopefully the apple supervisor can work some magic and get it delivered earlier

zychi

Banned
I can't decide between the 13inch base air, or the 13 inch base MBP.

Anyone here purchase the 13inch mbp AFTER retina was announced?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a Goflex that's 2TB? I had a backup plus but that's way too cumbersome to plug in and move around. That hard drive broke just because it was in my backpack.

That I don't know. I only needed 1TB so I didn't look above. Do you need bus powered? I think the deal breaker for me on the Passport Studio was that this was going to be my last mac with dedicated firewire, guaranteed. they are going the way of ethernet ports and DVD on macs, and I would have to use adapters in the future on the drive.

That I don't know. I only needed 1TB so I didn't look above. Do you need bus powered? I think the deal breaker for me on the Passport Studio was that this was going to be my last mac with dedicated firewire, guaranteed. they are going the way of ethernet ports and DVD on macs, and I would have to use adapters in the future on the drive.

I do a lot of video editing so i'd like to move it around. Being able to daisy chain is pretty nice too.

zychi

Banned
What do you plan to use your laptop for?

typical college kid stuff, internet, word, excel, powerpoint.

i just upgraded my pc rig. the issue i'm having is the apple syndrome of "there's something better right around the corner."

i don't want to purchase an air, and the retina air comes out.

i don't want to purchase the mbp because the screen is worse than the air, but i have a monitor i can hook it up to.

i don't want to purchase the air because i can't upgrade it like i can a pro.

i've been mulling this over for a week and still can't decide.

TUSR

Banned
I updated the GPU to 3.4 i7 on my 27" iMac and the best the apple rep told me is that delivery would be January 2-8 with free expedited shipping, though he said he will try his best to get it to what I had be before December 21-28.

Sucks I may have to wait a couple more weeks, hopefully the apple supervisor can work some magic and get it delivered earlier
Check your shipping information, is it coming from China or California?

typical college kid stuff, internet, word, excel, powerpoint.

i just upgraded my pc rig. the issue i'm having is the apple syndrome of "there's something better right around the corner."

i don't want to purchase an air, and the retina air comes out.

i don't want to purchase the mbp because the screen is worse than the air, but i have a monitor i can hook it up to.

i don't want to purchase the air because i can't upgrade it like i can a pro.

i've been mulling this over for a week and still can't decide.

for the stuff you mentioned the MBA will easily handle all that, especially on the SSD it will be running on. If you're just doing basic stuff like that I'd go with the MBA because of the amazing form factor

Check your shipping information, is it coming from China or California?

it doesn't say, I know the 27" I canceled was being assembled in the US because an Apple rep told me

how would I know without calling them?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I do a lot of video editing so i'd like to move it around. Being able to daisy chain is pretty nice too.
Gotcha. In that case you are probably better off going with the passport studio for now. I have a previous gen one (single port) that served me well for years (primary back up) just thought I would throw out the other options for the ongoing port transition.

Just sold my 13 inch MBA and picking up a 13 inch MBPr in a week or so.

Looking for sleeve recommendations, prior sleeve has quite a bit of wear and tear.

What mice do you guys use? I need something wireless and comfortable. I can't stand the magic mouse and the trackpad is too sensitive and uncomfortable for long usage.

Anyone have the Performance MX?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/performance-mouse-mx?crid=7

I really like the hidden thumb button which I can assign to expose and such.

Razer also seem to have interesting mice: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice

the performance MX is the best mouse ive ever used. i bought one from ebay that was lightly used and cost 50% less. i would gladly pay $100 bucks for it thought.

nib95

Banned
Despite the creak on the first, image retention on the second, I caved in and bought another 15" MBP Retina lol. Apple have just nailed the laptop side. Nothing from the other vendors really excited me. The Samsung Series 7 Chronos is close and nearly half the price, but still not quite up to snuff (screen, touchpad, specs, SSD, size etc), and then the Envy, XPS 15 etc are so close to the Retina's price when specced close, might as well go for the Mac. Oh and another pro Mac thing, that 16:10. I'll take any extra screen real estate I can get! I've gone for a slightly higher spec model this time, since I got a student discount and can claim the VAT lol. Bit cheeky, but whatever, we do what we must.

Anyway, here's hoping I get a Samsung screen....

Top Bottom