• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Croc

Banned
Guys I have a question about my bf's MBP. It's a late 2008 model, 13-inches. His charger went bad the other day and sparked while it was plugged in and now his battery won't charge at all. He can still use it with my charger plugged in but his charge is stuck at 4%.

My question is are non-Apple replacement batteries a viable option or are ones straight from Apple pretty much the only viable option as far as reliability? Money is definitely an issue which is why I'm asking, so cheaper the better.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What's the best way to clean under the keyboard of a Macbook? I've gotten an embarrassing amount of shit under therein under 4 months.

3N16MA

Banned
What's the best way to clean under the keyboard of a Macbook? I've gotten an embarrassing amount of shit under therein under 4 months.

I use the wireless keyboard with my Mac mini and the keys are pretty close in design. I usually use a Lysol wipe and a toothpick. I now have a habit of cleaning my keyboard and mouse at least 1 every week just so gunk does not build up.

JayDub

Damn, my wife's bag was stolen and her MBPr was in it.

We have the serial number, is there any way we can track it down? What do the police do with the serial number we give them?

My question is are non-Apple replacement batteries a viable option or are ones straight from Apple pretty much the only viable option as far as reliability? Money is definitely an issue which is why I'm asking, so cheaper the better.

My experience is that it's a pricey way to figure out that you have to buy Apple's. :(

Using System Profiler you see what the Mac thinks of the battery's health.

Damn, my wife's bag was stolen and her MBPr was in it.

We have the serial number, is there any way we can track it down? What do the police do with the serial number we give them?
Did you set up the Find My Mac app? If so you can pinpoint the location and lock it remotely, just like iDevices.

What's apples policy on stuck pixels? I have 3 white pixels in the very middle of my screen. (I have an LG screen MbP retnia)

I also am having trouble with my track pad not clicking correctly on the left hand side when the laptop is charging or above 80% battery. It doesn't have the distinctive click sound and the click distance is a lot shorter. sometimes the left side doesn't track your fingers.

What do you guys think apple will do in my situation?

Pretty sure they would replace that. Especially if you go to an apple store.

I called apple support and they told me since I didn't and won't buy apple care, I would most likely not get anything replaced. I scheduled an appointment with the apple store personally to see what they will do for me. Has anyone had a trackpad or screen issue replaced?

JayDub

SOL.

You can report it stolen to the police with the serial number though and if the thieves try to sell it anywhere they're fucked.

Thanks, man.

I dont know about the second part. Can't they just say they bought it from some dude on craigsiist? That shit is hard to stick.

JayDub

27" iMacs started to arrive for folks today, it's going to be a looooong 2 weeks for me

I still remember your "Wheres my iMac, Apple?" post when the retinas were announced. For some reason it stuck with me. I kept checking for your reaction when the iMac was announced.

Tell us what you think when you get it, man!

I still remember your "Wheres my iMac, Apple?" post when the retinas were announced. For some reason it stuck with me. I kept checking for your reaction when the iMac was announced.

Tell us what you think when you get it, man!

Haha, for the last 6-8 months I've been thinking iMacs were going to be released "just around the corner". If I hadn't canceled my order day 1 order I might have already received it but changed to i7. Scheduled for January 2-8, hopefully that is worst case scenario.

I'm slightly getting worried about my MacBook Pro. Recently I've noticed that programs like Chrome or iMessage would just freeze. Whenever I tried to force quit them my computer ends up hanging and I have to hard reset it. It hasn't messed me up yet but I do a lot of editting on my computer and I'm pretty worried it's gonna crash while I'm working on something important.

Do you guys know what could be wrong with it?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm slightly getting worried about my MacBook Pro. Recently I've noticed that programs like Chrome or iMessage would just freeze. Whenever I tried to force quit them my computer ends up hanging and I have to hard reset it. It hasn't messed me up yet but I do a lot of editting on my computer and I'm pretty worried it's gonna crash while I'm working on something important.

Freezing is a common sign of a dying HDD.

oatmeal

Banned
So thinking about buying the 27" iMac w/2GB NVIDIA.

Is there gonna be a big difference between 3.2 and 3.4GHZ?

Also, there's no way to switch out the harddrive, right?

oatmeal

Banned

Are you on Mountain Lion?

I was havin the same problem...thought it was my HDD so I bought a 256GB samsung 830 SSD...still happened. So then I replaced my 4GB ram with 16...still happened.

Now I'm convinced it's Mountain Lion. A google search tells me more people have the same problem.

So not only do I get about 20% of the battery life that I used to in Lion, it doesn't even really work.

BACK TO LION WITH ME!

Valravn

Installed WebKit and the scrolling lag is now fixed. I also use it as my default browser now.
I also installed MagicPrefs and it seems my MagicMouse works a lot better and also don't randomly disconnect anymore.

Tr4nce

Please help me out GAF.

I have the idea that my Imac is getting slower lately. Example: when playing music videos on youtube whilst surfing the internet, the youtube video starts to stutter when I for example open a new tab or click on a hyperlink or something. Everything else is still working fine though. What could cause this?

Also: is there any way to do a clean install of Snow Leopard without removing all documents and settings on my Imac? I know it sounds dumb, but I work with Logic studio to make music, and if I have to install everything over again, I will be busy for so long. Not funny.

Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT: uninstalled Flash and re-installed. Seems to work like a charm again! For people with the same kind of problems, here's a helpful linky: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2407324?start=0&tstart=0

Need some advice.

Been off Mac computers for about a year now. Built a screaming PC for video editing and gaming. I had a acer netbook for the last few months that is quickly running into issues.

Since then I have wanted to really simplify my computer setup as video editing does not need to be done instantaneously, especially with Adobe Premiere's ability to queue up exports. Also I barely boot up steam to play all the games I bought.

So I am looking at either getting a Macbook Air base model to replace the netbook, or getting the 15" Retina MBP to replace the desktop.

Any thoughts?

JayDub

Need some advice.

Been off Mac computers for about a year now. Built a screaming PC for video editing and gaming. I had a acer netbook for the last few months that is quickly running into issues.

Since then I have wanted to really simplify my computer setup as video editing does not need to be done instantaneously, especially with Adobe Premiere's ability to queue up exports. Also I barely boot up steam to play all the games I bought.

So I am looking at either getting a Macbook Air base model to replace the netbook, or getting the 15" Retina MBP to replace the desktop.

Any thoughts?

Well, I think you should keep the desktop. I would go with that and an MBA.

Haha, for the last 6-8 months I've been thinking iMacs were going to be released "just around the corner". If I hadn't canceled my order day 1 order I might have already received it but changed to i7. Scheduled for January 2-8, hopefully that is worst case scenario.

Mine was estimated December 24th - 31st. Just shipped today, delivery date December 19th.

I should have called up Apple customer service, people were getting their shipping bumped to expedite for free.

Mine was estimated December 24th - 31st. Just shipped today, delivery date December 19th.

I should have called up Apple customer service, people were getting their shipping bumped to expedite for free.

when I called them a couple days ago they did upgrade my shipping to expedited for free, not sure how much a difference it will make

Tr4nce

GAF, the Safari stuttering problem is back after I reinstalled Flash yesterday, it worked fine after that. Now it's back. Any ideas?

Also, can it hurt to clear the Library >> Caches map ? Would I benefit from this? Could something go wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Majine

Banned
Fuck, got the biggest chills down my spine when I picked up the MBA from the bag. Fans were blasting and the bag was very warm. Screen was initially unresponsive, just a white screen but managed to get it back. Damaged for life? Gonna back it up as soon as I get home.

mYm|17|

Quick question if somebody could help me out. My friend wants to sell his 17' macbook pro to get a macbook air and wants to know how much he should sell it for.

Early 2011 17' MacBook Pro
2.2 ghz i7
750GB HDD
4GB DDR3 Ram
Intel HD 3000 graphics
Mac OS X Lion

I would tell him to max out the RAM to 16 GB or at the very least up it to 8 GB.

Sell it for $1,500. Too cheap? Could he get more? How much did he pay for it?

Maybe $1,700?

Fuck, got the biggest chills down my spine when I picked up the MBA from the bag. Fans were blasting and the bag was very warm. Screen was initially unresponsive, just a white screen but managed to get it back. Damaged for life? Gonna back it up as soon as I get home.

I don't think it would get permanently damaged just like that. The battery might run out, and the CPU probably shuts off before it overheats to the point of breaking. Let us know.

Thanks to my Christmas bonus, I'm finally ready to jump on an MBA.

Was thinking of just getting the 13-inch base model but bumping up the ram, followed by using external HDDs for more storage. Was planning on keeping my itunes library on the external HDD so I can keep my system HDD free for other stuff.

Thoughts?

I'm running into a werid issue and wanted to see if anyone has had this issue. I will come back from my Macbook Pro 13" being closed and asleep. When I put in the password to use it again, the mac immediately goes black and back to sleep and I have to re-enter the password. Just wondering what may be casuing this.

RBH

walmart_iphone_5_127.jpg

Walmart has dropped prices on both the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S, with the 16 GB iPhone 5 now on sale for just $127 and the iPhone 4S coming in at $47.

In addition, Walmart is now selling the latest fourth-generation 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad for just $399, a $100 discount from standard pricing. And beginning on Monday, Walmart will also include a $30 iTunes gift card bonus with iPad purchases.

Despite the iPhone 5 having launched in the United States less than three months ago, retailers are offering aggressive discounts on the devices to attract holiday shoppers. RadioShack is currently offering all iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S models at $50 discounts from their regular prices, and also offering email coupons for $10 credit on future purchases for every $50 spent during the holiday shopping season. RadioShack also offers price matching through its Mobile Low Price Guarantee, suggesting that it is likely to match Walmart's discounted pricing upon request.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/14...one-5-for-127-fourth-generation-ipad-for-399/

jcutner

How can I run /sbin/fsck -fy on a secondary hard drive?

I have a 500gb HDD on my macbook pro in addition to my 128gb SSD that has OS X.
I initially partitioned the 500GB into 1 425gb for storage, and 1 75gb for boot camp.
I deleted the boot camp partition using boot camp assistant and wanted to add that free space back to my 425, so it'd be 1 500gb partition again. It failed doing this. From what I read, if I run /sbin/fsck -fy from single user mode, it'll fix it.

But, when I run it, it only runs on SSD, not my Storage drive.
I've tried /sbin/fsck -fy /dev/disk1, or /dev/disk1s2, or -l with the same thing and it comes back saying I need to specify a number.

If I do /sbin/fsck -fy -l 1, or -l 2, it always runs on SSD, my primary. Scratching my head here.

I think that is what I will go with.

Do you know how the 15" MBPr would compare to a win 7 desktop with the latest core i5 and a GTX 570?
Not sure how well the GTX 570 performs, but I can play Dishonored at 720p with most of the bells and whistles and the lowest AA option at a stable 60FPS on my 15" rMBP. It's a pretty damn good gaming machine as far as laptops go. Of course it won't be able to hang with like an Alienware laptop with a 680M in it but those things are bulky as fuck.

SeanR1221

Fiancé and I fell in love with the 27" iMac tonight at the Apple store. We'll wait until after the wedding but we definitely want one.

Majine

Banned
I don't think it would get permanently damaged just like that. The battery might run out, and the CPU probably shuts off before it overheats to the point of breaking. Let us know.

Seems to work as normal. Guess I dodged a bullet? Was pretty scary since I'm very dependant on this machine right now.

Iacobellis

Quick question if somebody could help me out. My friend wants to sell his 17' macbook pro to get a macbook air and wants to know how much he should sell it for.

Early 2011 17' MacBook Pro
2.2 ghz i7
750GB HDD
4GB DDR3 Ram
Intel HD 3000 graphics
Mac OS X Lion

You should also tell him to include that it has an AMD HD 6750M.

Top Bottom