• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

TUSR

Banned
Despite the creak on the first, image retention on the second, I caved in and bought another 15" MBP Retina lol. Apple have just nailed the laptop side. Nothing from the other vendors really excited me. The Samsung Series 7 Chronos is close and nearly half the price, but still not quite up to snuff (screen, touchpad, specs, SSD, size etc), and then the Envy, XPS 15 etc are so close to the Retina's price when specced close, might as well go for the Mac. Oh and another pro Mac thing, that 16:10. I'll take any extra screen real estate I can get! I've gone for a slightly higher spec model this time, since I got a student discount and can claim the VAT lol. Bit cheeky, but whatever, we do what we must.

Anyway, here's hoping I get a Samsung screen....

Why not find out right now?

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
Put that into terminal

nib95

Banned
Why not find out right now?

How do I do that? Can you get that information based just off the serial, or do I have to wait till it gets to me? (Ordered through the Apple store and should arrive in the next few days if there are no Crimbo delays!)

nib95

Banned
You will need the laptop.

Ahh nvm. But yea, will do that when the new one arrived. When I did it on my old one and saw LG, I was a bit miffed but figured it was overblown and I'd be fine. However, the more heavy contrast work I did, the more I started noticing image retention, so back it had to go, especially considering Apple would not replace it. They said some image retention was "normal". When I explained that none of my past Macs have ever had it, I was told it's a retina thing. Meh...

TUSR

Banned
Ahh nvm. But yea, will do that when the new one arrived. When I did it on my old one and saw LG, I was a bit miffed but figured it was overblown and I'd be fine. However, the more heavy contrast work I did, the more I started noticing image retention, so back it had to go, especially considering Apple would not replace it. They said some image retention was "normal". When I explained that none of my past Macs have ever had it, I was told it's a retina thing. Meh...

LP = LG

LS = Samsung

But yeah, the image retention thing is expected. When you tell customer service that over the phone. They send you this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807?viewlocale=en_US

LP = LG

LS = Samsung

But yeah, the image retention thing is expected. When you tell customer service that over the phone. They send you this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807?viewlocale=en_US

I returned my first rMBP because of the image persistence issue.. the second one was fine for several months.. then I read a thread over on neowin asking owners of the rMBP with LG screens who had had their machines for several months to check for image persistence..

so I checked.. and it was there.. I had done the same test when I got the machine and it passed.. so it developed the issue over time.

I don't have an Apple store here and I didn't want to take my machine in to best buy, so I went to my local apple authorized repair center.. and described the scenario.. they agreed that it didn't sound like something that should happen.. so I brought in the machine and demonstrated the issue and left the machine with them.

I got a call that it was ready 2 days later and the first thing I did when I was looking the machine over was check the screen manufacturer.. and it was Samsung this time and it does not have the image persistence issue.

Replacing the display in a rMBP costs about $850.. but as the machine was under apple care, I got it repaired for free.

123rl

I've booked a Genius appointment to get my battery checked. I get a really poor usage time on it and it takes a lot longer to charge. I downloaded iStat Pro and my battery health is apparently only 85%. The laptop is only 8 months old

Something I've always wondered, what's the sound quality of a MBP (late 2010 base model 13") when I plug my headphones into it? is it the same as an iPhone?

RTSD

Neo Member
hey guys I hope this would be the right place to ask: I have an 80gig ipod classic (was new in 2008) and just the other day i started getting the problem with the headphone jack where the right audio channel cuts in and out but I can still get the signal back if I wiggle the headphones in the jack a bit... lol.

Anyway I googled it and found that there has been some success in DIY fixes but they all seem to have "brick the ipod potential".

Anyone here run into this problem before? I am in my final year for my BA so I am piss-ass broke so I probably can't afford a replacement so... what do?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So if I wanted to, I could still run stock Safari after installing WebKit?
Yeah. Launch the WebKit app instead and it will launch Safari and inject it with the new WebKit engine as if nothing had changed. You can still launch normal Safari and use the old engine if you need. Best part is you can do some comparisons.

Baconbitz

Banned
I just ordered for refurb 2011 iMac from apple. It'll be my first mac ever. Question, where is a good place for a noob to the mac OS? I'm not a complete noob since I've used macs at the apple store but I really haven't used them long enough.

TUSR

Banned
I just ordered for refurb 2011 iMac from apple. It'll be my first mac ever. Question, where is a good place for a noob to the mac OS? I'm not a complete noob since I've used macs at the apple store but I really haven't used them long enough.

Reread your question.

OSX is pretty intuitive, play around with it. Its not like you're going to break it.

OSX is pretty intuitive, play around with it.

Have you watched new Mac users? It isn't particularly intuitive at first for most.

You can intuit all sorts of things once you learn them in a different context; e.g. select, drag, drop works on files and pseudo-files everywhere.

Talon

Click and drag does everything. Seriously. That's how you install programs.

SeanR1221

I'll put it this way. My nonverbal autistic sister immediately took to my old iBook years ago without anyone teaching her. That's how intuitive they are.

pwack

GAF -- I need help.

I am buying a 13" Air later today. Do I get:

1. 4GB RAM with a net cost of $1140 (Amazon price with no tax), or
2. 8GB from Apple for $1316 (education discount, but tax and RAM cost).

So an extra 4GB worth $180, or 16% of the base price?

GAF -- I need help.

My opinion? You're paying a bit of a premium for the extra RAM, but it is absolutely worth it. RAM is almost always the bottleneck that makes your system age sooner than it ought to. I'm not truly in the know about upgrading post-purchase on the Airs (I use a Pro), but you're going to want that extra 4 GB sooner or later, for sure.

Guys quick question?

On mac how do I open my iPhones photo folder as a drive to copy stuff off it?
The easiest way is an app called Image Capture, which should have come built in. Hit cmd+space and see if you can find it.

TUSR

Banned
GAF -- I need help.

Spend the extra $180. Worth it in the long run.

A few times on my 15" Retina ive passed 8-10GB of RAM usage.

SeanR1221

GAF -- I need help.

Number 2 definitely. What you get with the air is what you're stuck with. Pay now to help future proof it as best as you can.

What's apples policy on stuck pixels? I have 3 white pixels in the very middle of my screen. (I have an LG screen MbP retnia)

I also am having trouble with my track pad not clicking correctly on the left hand side when the laptop is charging or above 80% battery. It doesn't have the distinctive click sound and the click distance is a lot shorter. sometimes the left side doesn't track your fingers.

What do you guys think apple will do in my situation?

What's apples policy on stuck pixels? I have 3 white pixels in the very middle of my screen. (I have an LG screen MbP retnia)

I also am having trouble with my track pad not clicking correctly on the left hand side when the laptop is charging or above 80% battery. It doesn't have the distinctive click sound and the click distance is a lot shorter. sometimes the left side doesn't track your fingers.

What do you guys think apple will do in my situation?

Pretty sure they would replace that. Especially if you go to an apple store.

Is it pretty easy to upgrade RAM in a 2011 iMac? And is there any certain brands that I should use? I was looking to upgrade it from 4 to around 12 or 16. I've never upgraded RAM before.

kennah

Ifixit.com

Should be in the OP :)

Go for 16. Brand doesn't matter. Stuff that isn't branded "for mac" will be cheaper and work just as well.

caramac

Is it pretty easy to upgrade RAM in a 2011 iMac? And is there any certain brands that I should use? I was looking to upgrade it from 4 to around 12 or 16. I've never upgraded RAM before.

Very easy

iMac: How to remove or install memory

I went for this Kingston 8gb upgrade kit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001PS9UKW/

The only thing that freaks me out a bit when installing RAM is it does need pushing home quite firmly to make sure its seated properly. I'm always scared of breaking something.

RBH

GAF -- I need help.

Depends on what you're doing on your laptop, but I'd still probably go for 8GB RAM regardless.

Top Bottom