• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Baconbitz

Banned
How do you like it? I got used to the trackpad after owning a Macbook Pro.
Well, I haven't been able to really use it since I've been transferring all day. I actually had to start over. My laptop (PC) has a dying CMOS battery. So, my laptop shutdown and had to restart it last night. At this point it's at 5 hours and 8 minutes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If the next Air isn't retina, I'm going back to an iMac.
If the next Air isn't Retina, I'll definitely go Pro. Actually, even if the Air is Retina it would have to be pretty powerful on the graphics end to make me consider it again. If the 13" Retina Pro isn't also powerful, I might just have to go 15".

Guess it's something I'll decide when the time comes. But I can't see the Air going Retina until the graphics are bumped up immensely and the batteries are higher capacity. Since the reason the Air isn't Retina now is the same reason the iPad mini isn't Retina. Battery + GPU strength != enough to deliver the same experience we get now. The 13" Retina Pro has a much bigger battery than the Air so it's able to support it. But the Air has those thin edges that make the battery room a bit smaller.

Also, a Retina Air would basically be a Retina Pro in a different case anyway. So they'll have to make the Pro have something the Air does not. Which in this case is Retina. When the Air has Retina, what will the Pro have over it? Well, maybe better processor choices? I dunno. We'll see in time. Next year? Maybe the one after.

Surprise us, Apple. I love my Air. But I want the powah too.

tafer

Welp, I wanted to thank sc0la and all the guys that help me upgrade the RAM and the HDD for my MBP. Had some problems removing the lower case (it seems that my machine came with 2 damaged screws) but everything else went great.

The little machine is flying, so yeah, thanks guys!

If the next Air isn't Retina, I'll definitely go Pro. Actually, even if the Air is Retina it would have to be pretty powerful on the graphics end to make me consider it again. If the 13" Retina Pro isn't also powerful, I might just have to go 15".

Guess it's something I'll decide when the time comes. But I can't see the Air going Retina until the graphics are bumped up immensely and the batteries are higher capacity. Since the reason the Air isn't Retina now is the same reason the iPad mini isn't Retina. Battery + GPU strength != enough to deliver the same experience we get now. The 13" Retina Pro has a much bigger battery than the Air so it's able to support it. But the Air has those thin edges that make the battery room a bit smaller.

Also, a Retina Air would basically be a Retina Pro in a different case anyway. So they'll have to make the Pro have something the Air does not. Which in this case is Retina. When the Air has Retina, what will the Pro have over it? Well, maybe better processor choices? I dunno. We'll see in time. Next year? Maybe the one after.

Surprise us, Apple. I love my Air. But I want the powah too.

This is exactly my train of thought. I want the Air for the size, but I want Retina. And if I go Retina I'm going to go 15" because it's more powerful.

I'm getting a new laptop this summer, giving my girl friend my very capable 13" 2010 MBP which I upgraded to a 8 gig of RAM and an SSD which has made it extremely fast. I want the size of the air but after seeing dat retina screen I realize I can't do without it. I think retina air is too good to be true in 2013 so I will go with either a 13" or 15" rMBP depending on how apple decides to spec bump these things. I've only heard bad things about the graphics card and speed on both, especially with the 13" model.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is exactly my train of thought. I want the Air for the size, but I want Retina. And if I go Retina I'm going to go 15" because it's more powerful.
I'm holding out hope that the 13" Retina gets a discreet card next year. Or at least the integrated graphics of the next chip are so good it's not even needed.

Honestly, I don't think the next Air will be retina. Maybe when the Rockwell processors come out, it'll be out. We need a full year with the rMBP imho.

Baconbitz

Banned
Finally, done the transfer. Now, to get to enjoy the iMac after installs some updates.

I thought apple had a whole suite like Microsoft. What else do they have besides Pages?

Trouble

Banned
Not sure if anyone else cares, but Speck finally has their satin case for MBP Retina 13" available.

I had the satin case for my 11" Air and I loved it.

Incidentally I don't know how I didn't discover this until now...

NbfBU.png

Built in python interpreter in OSX. For anyone looking to pick up scripting.

Mobius 1

Finally, done the transfer. Now, to get to enjoy the iMac after installs some updates.

I thought apple had a whole suite like Microsoft. What else do they have besides Pages?

Numbers, a spreadsheet application. And Keynote, presentation app. Both excellent and affordable.

Some things I noticed with the new 27" iMac:

- The audio out seems to have better output, or there is pre-amp, or something. My external speakers are sounding louder and better, and I didn't touch them.

- The GeForce 680MX is a beast, all things considered. Absolutely viable for PC gaming.

- When the fans kick in, they are louder than the previous models. But it takes a proper beating to get the iMac to overheat.

- Screen is brighter and better. Glare is reduced by a fuckton.

- USB 3.0 is awesome.

And loving the old mechanical keyboard to bits.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

NbfBU.png

Yep. when I tried to run some python on my work PC and realized I had to download an interpreter for it I was mad hehe

LCfiner

How long do you think the iMac graphic cards will be relevant for? (I don't do any PC gaming)

Then you'll be just fine with any of the available options on the 27" for a long, looong time.

heck, I have a 2009 model with a 4850M and it's fine driving the display day to day (no stuttering, always smooth with expose) and was even able to run Skyrim at 1080p, 30fps in bootcamp (med/high settings).

And these new cards kick the 4850M's butt.

tuffy

NbfBU.png

And if you need to run Python programs with C extensions, just install Xcode (which is free from the App Store). Python will call its compiler when running setup.py scripts at install-time.

ant3b

Can the graphics card be upgraded on the new iMac?

Yeah I would think you can upgrade the card. It would have to be a special apple model with apple firmware on though and its not easy.

I think they will just use modualr mxm 3.0b. and you can swap the cards out. Like on a gaming laptop from eurocom etc.

You can do it on the mac before the new one. Hell you can upgrade the processor and memory youself.

So the Apple store fixed my trackpad issue by replacing the keyboard, the trackpad, and the battery. I checked it out at the store to make sure they didn't damage anything, all was good. It wasn't until I got home that I realized the headphone port is off center. When I plug in my headphones the metal connector kinda scrapes against the laptop.

oUYHTl.jpg

Should I bring it back to the Apple store and get them to fix it?

Obvious answers to my stupid question... But I really want to know if anyone has had the same issue when getting their computers repaired by Apple.

Just noticed 27" iMac preparing for shipment! I have expedited shipping, how long do you guys think it will take to arrive at my doorstep? Possibly before Christmas?

moonbeam

I want to put in an order for a new 27" imac but I'm having troubles deciding on the base model + 1 TB fusion or the high end model + 1 TB fusion. The only differences will be about a 10% increase in CPU power and different GPUs: GTX 660M with 512MB vs GTX 675MX with 1GB.

If gaming on the imac is not that important to me, should I go for the upgraded model or save myself some money? I don't think I will be doing anything too intensive on it. I hope to keep it for 4-5 years and would like it to be super smooth and responsive in everyday use over that time. What do people think?

dudeguy24

Obvious answers to my stupid question... But I really want to know if anyone has had the same issue when getting their computers repaired by Apple.

I've had a similar thing happen to me. After Apple replaced the battery and lower body housing on my laptop, the battery button on the side and my track has been slightly off center. It hasn't been a big enough of a deal though for me to bring it back to Apple for a repair.

Fed Ex scheduled to deliver 12/27 my i7 fusion iMac. Maybe I get lucky and I comes a little early, so excited

I want to put in an order for a new 27" imac but I'm having troubles deciding on the base model + 1 TB fusion or the high end model + 1 TB fusion. The only differences will be about a 10% increase in CPU power and different GPUs: GTX 660M with 512MB vs GTX 675MX with 1GB.

If gaming on the imac is not that important to me, should I go for the upgraded model or save myself some money? I don't think I will be doing anything too intensive on it. I hope to keep it for 4-5 years and would like it to be super smooth and responsive in everyday use over that time. What do people think?

I don't know much about graphics card as I don't do any PC gaming but I went with the 675MX just to be on the safe side as I plan on having this computer for 5 years.

moonbeam

I don't know much about graphics card as I don't do any PC gaming but I went with the 675MX just to be on the safe side as I plan on having this computer for 5 years.

Yeah, me neither - I just game on my Xbox.

I still haven't found any reviews of the base 27". Seems that most reviews are of the high end model with the 680MX.

Yeah, me neither - I just game on my Xbox.

I still haven't found any reviews of the base 27". Seems that most reviews are of the high end model with the 680MX.

If you plan on doing heavy video and photo editing (which I personally won't be) go with the 680, but even the 675 is good enough for most of that

Requiem

So after almost 2 years with my Asus Eee Netbook (bought refurb from Newegg in 2010) I have finally crossed over to the Mac world. Bought a refurb 2012 13" Air directly from Apple yesterday morning and it arrived today.

Man have I been missing out!! This thing is just beautiful in all aspects. I love everything about this laptop. I feel like I've been in the stone ages after using this. Everything is just so ingrained in the OS its a wonderful change.

Setting up a new computer is quite tiring though (coming from Windows). No clue what apps to download, what to change the settings to or even where to find stuff. Anyone know of a good starting guide and apps to download? It would be much appreciated!

Setting up a new computer is quite tiring though (coming from Windows). No clue what apps to download, what to change the settings to or even where to find stuff. Anyone know of a good starting guide and apps to download? It would be much appreciated!

...Settings...? OSX is pretty solid out of the box. Just install software for what you want to do and go. I guess the bare basics would be:

1. If you don't have an apple ID you may as well set one up. Lets you buy stuff on the app store, setup find my device, etc.

2. If you need office suite apps, the Apple ones (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) are all pretty good. If you just want the equivalent of Notepad++ try Textwrangler, or if you want something for coding look at SublimeText2.

3. Safari is pretty good, I've had no problem using it for awhile. Plus if you setup iCloud you can crossbrowse with your iPhone/iPad. Some folks prefer Chrome though it has had some weird glitches with OSX this year...

4. Gestures! No, you don't need to learn much, but OSX makes it very easy to setup multiple desktops (which is great on the Air, you can leave 1-2 apps per desktop) and then you can swipe (3 fingers) between them. There's a button the keyboard to show all of your desktops and manage them.

The other important gesture is two finger swipe (back/forward on web browsers)

There's probably a bunch of stuff out there to learn if you want but OSX (especially on the Air) is pretty good at just working.

Requiem

...Settings...? OSX is pretty solid out of the box. Just install software for what you want to do and go. I guess the bare basics would be:

1. If you don't have an apple ID you may as well set one up. Lets you buy stuff on the app store, setup find my device, etc.

2. If you need office suite apps, the Apple ones (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) are all pretty good. If you just want the equivalent of Notepad++ try Textwrangler, or if you want something for coding look at SublimeText2.

3. Safari is pretty good, I've had no problem using it for awhile. Plus if you setup iCloud you can crossbrowse with your iPhone/iPad. Some folks prefer Chrome though it has had some weird glitches with OSX this year...

4. Gestures! No, you don't need to learn much, but OSX makes it very easy to setup multiple desktops (which is great on the Air, you can leave 1-2 apps per desktop) and then you can swipe (3 fingers) between them. There's a button the keyboard to show all of your desktops and manage them.

The other important gesture is two finger swipe (back/forward on web browsers)

There's probably a bunch of stuff out there to learn if you want but OSX (especially on the Air) is pretty good at just working.

Thanks...I realize now that there really isn't much to set up. Everything just kind of works. I was just afraid that I might miss something important. Love the machine, not sure about the battery though. I have no idea if it is draining too fast or its normal. Any tips to getting the battery to last long (besides turing down brightness)?

Iacobellis

Thanks...I realize now that there really isn't much to set up. Everything just kind of works. I was just afraid that I might miss something important. Love the machine, not sure about the battery though. I have no idea if it is draining too fast or its normal. Any tips to getting the battery to last long (besides turing down brightness)?

Turning off Bluetooth is all I can remember right now, haha.

Übermatik;45548415 said:
I need some advice.

I'm at uni and I'm studying Industrial Design. I do a lot of 3D work, and a lot of graphic design/video editing on the side, as well as play games via bootcamp.

I'm looking at getting a new Macbook Pro, as portability is a must for me right now.

I've narrowed it down to two models - the Non Retina 15 inch, and the 15 inch Retina.

Both the same price, both the same specs, more or less - the hard drive wouldn't be an issue, as I have a 500GB external USB 3.0 hard drive I could use - though it wouldn't be the best convenience, it would still let me transfer all my files without worrying about the SSD size.
However, the CPU on the Retina model is slightly less powerful...

Do I sacrifice the larger HD and faster CPU for the retina display? Is it really worth it?

There's no room for me to move price wise, so it's either or here.

What say you GAF?

Thanks for everyone's help on this /spitefulsarcasm.

I went with the high spec non-retina 15" model. Faffing about with hard drives/software compatibility/lower clock speeds swayed it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Explain the battery life you're getting. If you can avoid Flash and don't play games while on battery you can last a mighty long time.

Emitan

And if you need to run Python programs with C extensions, just install Xcode (which is free from the App Store). Python will call its compiler when running setup.py scripts at install-time.

I want my $5 back :(

If I can actually manage to afford one I want to replace my aging Macbook Pro (2008 October model) with a Macbook Air this summer. The thing is busted up, missing the rubber pads on the bottom, broken track pad, bent screen, possibly damaged hard drive and RAM? (it's been kernel panicking and rebooting a lot lately) ... it's been through a lot and I don't feel comfortable selling such a beat up thing to someone. I saw something on Apple's website about recycling old Macs when you buy a new one. I was planning on ordering the Macbook Air online but can you buy a custom one in store? I want 8GB of RAM on it. I could just drop off this one when I buy the new one.

Top Bottom