• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, I wanted to thank sc0la and all the guys that help me upgrade the RAM and the HDD for my MBP. Had some problems removing the lower case (it seems that my machine came with 2 damaged screws) but everything else went great.

The little machine is flying, so yeah, thanks guys!
Thanks, you're welcome! Glad it went well, all things considered. You can probably get replacement screws if you need them.

Emitan

Oh, it seems I can do it online. Seems my system is worth around $260. Not bad.

screenshot2012-12-22axjuv5.png

So my iMac, as of today, is at destination sort facility 45 miles from my house, but it says it's scheduled to deliver on the 27th. Please surprise me with a Christmas eve delivery FedEx

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
So it appears that my Macbook display or brightness might be messed up. I press F2 to bring it to the lowest brightness and then press F3 to turn it on but it flashes and then turns off. I have connected the Macbook to a VGA monitor and overall everything seems fine. (I'm posting this by using the monitor as the primary one). At times the brightness goes back normally but only lasts for a few seconds or until I close the macbook before it gets the same flashing problem. (This is a MacBook 5,2 Core 2 Duo, by the way)

As far as I have read, it seems that the display inverter might be broken or something, but is there anything software based that I could do in order to fix this or to discard anything else before taking it into tech support? Thanks in advance for the help, guys.

Carlisle

Oh, it seems I can do it online. Seems my system is worth around $260. Not bad.

screenshot2012-12-22axjuv5.png

I sold my 2006 MBP a few weeks ago on Ebay. Put the starting price at $200 and it ended up selling for $520. Yeah, Ebay has it's risks, but the payoff can be almost double.

Requiem

Explain the battery life you're getting. If you can avoid Flash and don't play games while on battery you can last a mighty long time.

Well it's hard to explain since I've only had my Air for a day. I guess it was draining fast because I was configuring like crazy and testing out all of the features. Yesterday it lasted about 4 hours right out of the box (no charging).

Like I said, I am bad at gauging how good or bad the battery life is since my old netbook was plugged in virtually 24/7. Should I keep the Macbook charging or is that bad for the battery? I've read stories that say there's no problem leaving it charging all the time and other stories to the contrary saying that Li-Ion batteries need to be 'worked out' in order to work well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Iacobellis

Well it's hard to explain since I've only had my Air for a day. I guess it was draining fast because I was configuring like crazy and testing out all of the features. Yesterday it lasted about 4 hours right out of the box (no charging).

Like I said, I am bad at gauging how good or bad the battery life is since my old netbook was plugged in virtually 24/7. Should I keep the Macbook charging or is that bad for the battery? I've read stories that say there's no problem leaving it charging all the time and other stories to the contrary saying that Li-Ion batteries need to be 'worked out' in order to work well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't leave it plugged in all the time.

I bought a used iMac and deleted what was on the hard drive to start over. I burned Mountain Lion to a disc and put it in the iMac, and it's been sitting there with the Apple logo and the loading icon going for ten minutes now. Is there something else I need to do to install it?

I bought a used iMac and deleted what was on the hard drive to start over. I burned Mountain Lion to a disc and put it in the iMac, and it's been sitting there with the Apple logo and the loading icon going for ten minutes now. Is there something else I need to do to install it?

Reboot and hold C boot to the DVD. (or option for list of bootable volumes)

(what you should have done is just used the mountain lion installer to reformat the drive after booting up with the DVD)

Emitan

I sold my 2006 MBP a few weeks ago on Ebay. Put the starting price at $200 and it ended up selling for $520. Yeah, Ebay has it's risks, but the payoff can be almost double.

Well I feel like the thing could stop working at any moment. It's crashing pretty often. I don't want to sell it only to have it break on them a week later.

Chris R

So I'm hoping when Apple upgrades stuff to Haswell next year, they do it all at once for the laptops. Going to be tough choosing between a 13" MBA and a 15" MBP/rMBP... my current MBA is starting to crawl :| I'd hate to get one only to have a kick ass other release a few months later.

Baconbitz

Banned
So, I've been using my mac since Last Tuesday. Holy crap. For the most part things have been too easy. So far my only complaint has been all the little commands for opening things. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I just purchased a macbook air 13 inch base, which i am going to return next week so i can swap it with a refurb model with more HD =D. Does the OP to figure out what to get to protect my laptop?

So far i love the size of this machine it seems like a prefect size for typing. The only thing i have to get used to is that i always hit caplock when i go to hit the a button.

I know in 6 months a new one will come out but i bought this to do more writing and learn some programming for fun. I purchased this model specifically because it has no horsepower so i wont be tempted to game on it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I'm hoping when Apple upgrades stuff to Haswell next year, they do it all at once for the laptops. Going to be tough choosing between a 13" MBA and a 15" MBP/rMBP... my current MBA is starting to crawl :| I'd hate to get one only to have a kick ass other release a few months later.
Would be nice to have their entire line be updated at once for once. All the MacBooks that is. Airs to Pros to Retinas. Like how the entire iOS line is now on one schedule. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Airs are done separately from the Pros again.

Look forward to when everything converges again. When we get the lightness as well as the power and don't need the bulky ones anymore. It's no doubt the normal Pro machines only have a few more revisions before Apple finally decides to kill off the optical drive once and for all. (Since it's gone from everything but the Pro laptops and towers. And the towers are due to be updated next year. I suspect they'll keep the drives at first. But eventually I bet even they will lose them.)

Chris R

I hope the bulky ones don't go away. If the MBA and MBP/rMBP update at the same time I'd probably go for a 15" MBP with a dedicated GPU, but if the MBAs are out before the MBPs I might just jump early and upgrade from my current MBA to a new 13" MBA.

Bursh

I've searched a few places online and haven't been able to find a useful answer so I'm turning to you, GAF.

My rMBP has a lot of trouble recognizing my 1TB external. It's USB 3.0 and whenever I plug it in, it just doesn't acknowledge that it's there. But the port is definitely powering the HD so the port isn't dead. The few times it does detect it, I can transfer some things to and from the hard drive but if the cable gets knocked at all, it gives me an error message saying it's been ejected incorrectly.

It did this on Lion and it still happens on ML. And none of the firmware updates have helped, either.

My flight yesterday was pretty entertaining. It was like Mac Alley.

10 of the 12 people immediately around me were using either Macs, iPads or iPhones for the duration of the flight. All of which extremely happy. Pretty cool.

I hope the bulky ones don't go away. If the MBA and MBP/rMBP update at the same time I'd probably go for a 15" MBP with a dedicated GPU, but if the MBAs are out before the MBPs I might just jump early and upgrade from my current MBA to a new 13" MBA.

I felt the same way about getting a 13"MBP but after seeing dat retina on my friends new 15"rMBP I'm definitely getting a 15"rMBP unless the air gets a retina screen

Deku Tree

I just sold a 2007 iMac (fully loaded) to them for like $300. Their estimate said it would be worth $400, and then they offered me $300 after they inspected it. Amazon and other places had no interest in buying it. I may have been able to get more on ebay, but wasn't really interested in all the hassle that goes with that... Funny thing is that I went through their price estimator to find that a 2011 iMac (fully loaded) is also worth about $400 according to that website... does anyone know how the value is determined? Do they resell the computers? Or the parts? Otherwise how do they extract value from my old computer?

TUSR

Banned
I've searched a few places online and haven't been able to find a useful answer so I'm turning to you, GAF.

My rMBP has a lot of trouble recognizing my 1TB external. It's USB 3.0 and whenever I plug it in, it just doesn't acknowledge that it's there. But the port is definitely powering the HD so the port isn't dead. The few times it does detect it, I can transfer some things to and from the hard drive but if the cable gets knocked at all, it gives me an error message saying it's been ejected incorrectly.

It did this on Lion and it still happens on ML. And none of the firmware updates have helped, either.

is it connection to the drive sound?

giga

I have similar USB 3.0 problems where it sometimes doesn't detect it or it just disconnects randomly. I don't think it's hardware--seems like a software/firmware problem.

TUSR

Banned
I have similar USB 3.0 problems where it sometimes doesn't detect it or it just disconnects randomly. I don't think it's hardware--seems like a software/firmware problem.

which evil USB drive are you guys using that isnt connecting properly?

thinking about picking up a 13" regular macbook pro soon. i wanted the 11" air but its so much smaller than i thought. even though it has the pixels, its just too small. i was so dead set on getting it too but after using it in person..its just so small. the size of the pro looks massive compared to the air in photos but it wasnt that bad at all in person.

what im mulling over is what would be a better upgrade - i7 or add 16gb ram + SSD by myself? on a refurb they would both come out to the same price. i would be using it for web/graphic design, illustration, light programming and some 2D animation so i dont know what would help more.

Why not get the 13" Air?

the only air 13 refurb with more than 4gb of ram is way out of my budget :( if i could upgrade the ram later on then it would be a done deal. also, doesnt the pro have a better quality screen too, despite having a smaller resolution? the weight really isnt an issue for me.

Chris R

I felt the same way about getting a 13"MBP but after seeing dat retina on my friends new 15"rMBP I'm definitely getting a 15"rMBP unless the air gets a retina screen

I don't really care about the retina screen. I just want to see how beefy the Haswell IGP is and if I could use it without requiring a dedicated GPU.

Emitan

Crashing again and trackpad wasn't working properly for a while. Cursor was skipping around the screen and I couldn't tap to click.

Iacobellis

Well, men (and women), I am hoping to be getting a rMBP tonight or tomorrow. It is a 15" base model, so I am hoping this thing can last me at a minimum of four years. I've had my current MacBook Pro for three now.

What are the best maintenance apps, more specifically to keep the hardware up to snuff? I'm already well aware of apps like MacKeeper and CleanMyMac, so those are not needed. I still have to order tools for whenever I need to clean the machine, I am thinking of doing that every few months.

I've been enjoying the hell out of this 27" iMac, but I called Apple and asked for a 30 day return label as I just ordered the 680MX graphics card version, when that arrives I'll return what I have now. I know I'll probably never use the full capabilities of an i7, 32GB RAM (ordered 8 gb, will update to 32 myself), 680MX, but if I'm keeping this desktop for the next 5 years and can't upgrade anything I'm not going to live in regret lol.

also, this is seriously the best looking piece of tech I own

Mobius 1

Well, men (and women), I am hoping to be getting a rMBP tonight or tomorrow. It is a 15" base model, so I am hoping this thing can last me at a minimum of four years. I've had my current MacBook Pro for three now.

What are the best maintenance apps, more specifically to keep the hardware up to snuff? I'm already well aware of apps like MacKeeper and CleanMyMac, so those are not needed. I still have to order tools for whenever I need to clean the machine, I am thinking of doing that every few months.

Onyx for the rare OS cleanup.

Diskdaisy for storage management.

App Cleaner or AppZapper for removal of apps, if you worry about leftover files.

Nothing else is necessary.

Iacobellis

Onyx for the rare OS cleanup.

Diskdaisy for storage management.

App Cleaner or AppZapper for removal of apps, if you worry about leftover files.

Nothing else is necessary.

Thanks. I've been loving this MacBook Pro for the last couple of days. I had used them a couple times before in Apple stores, but actually using the Retina Display on a day-to-day basis shows how hard it can be to live without it!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Use Hazel instead of AppZapper. It does the same thing but as a secondary feature. Its primary function is to automate stuff.

And I suggest GrandPerspective for file system viewing. It's free.

So this might not be the right thread to ask this, but i'm not sure if it's a Chrome or a Mac issue: Animated gifs don't load right, which is especially noticeable here on GAF. They get kinda stuck and i have to reload the page or open just the image to get it to play.

Anything i can do?

Iacobellis

So this might not be the right thread to ask this, but i'm not sure if it's a Chrome or a Mac issue: Animated gifs don't load right, which is especially noticeable here on GAF. They get kinda stuck and i have to reload the page or open just the image to get it to play.

Anything i can do?

I believe that is Chrome related. I remember having a similar issue when I used to use it ~1-2 years ago. What OS are you on?

Magni

Is this thread iOS hardware as well?

I'm thinking of getting an iPod touch to satisfy the last missing link in my OS collection (I have Windows, Linux, and OS X computers and Windows Phone and Android phones). My girlfriend has an iPhone but it's not the same thing as having my own, especially when we'll be across the ocean from each other next spring.

I was thinking of getting the latest iPod touch for $325 (including tax), since the price difference with the 4G seemed worth it. However my brother just offered to sell me his 32GB 4G for $145, which makes my decision much harder.

So, for those two prices, is it worth it to pony up for the 5G or should I just buy my brother's used 4G?

Also, why couldn't Apple make a 16GB 5G for $229 or something?

edit: this iPod would be almost exclusively used for apps/games only

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am thinking of buying a new model base 27inch iMac. This would be my first Mac. Is there anything crazy I should know coming over from Windows?

Also, is there any word of when these will be available at Best Buy? I have been reading supply is backed up. As much as I hate BB I would rather buy there because I am in PA on the Delaware border, so I can drive over there to avoid 6% sales tax.

I am thinking of buying a new model base 27inch iMac. This would be my first Mac. Is there anything crazy I should know coming over from Windows?

Also, is there any word of when these will be available at Best Buy? I have been reading supply is backed up. As much as I hate BB I would rather buy there because I am in PA on the Delaware border, so I can drive over there to avoid 6% sales tax.

how much gas would it cost you to go back and forth? you might as well just order it online and save some time & effort if the difference isnt that great.

Top Bottom