• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I'm thinking about getting the Mac mini with the 2.6 GHz i7 as an upgrade to my 17" late 2006 iMac. I don't have the desk space for a 21.5" screen and I'm not too keen on having a 5400 RPM HDD to bottleneck my entire PC and I'd rather be able to upgrade my own RAM and not pay the Apple tax.

Anyone know how tough it is to swap hard drives on the Mac mini and will it void the warranty? I wouldn't mind getting the Fusion Drive but if I could buy my own SSD and put it in with minimal effort, that would be cool.

I have been asking this on different Mac message boards.

2013 Mac mini (I know it is a bit far away to predict but still)

Do they keep the same setup as now? Base model/dual core, 2 quad-cores (one-server and one regular)

Do they go back to 2011 and go for two dual-cores (one with discrete graphics) and one quad core as a server?

Or as the worse case scenario, do they make two dual cores and one quad core (the quad core being the server) all with integrated graphics?

Iacobellis

Is it possible to stream anything to an Apple TV with Mountain Lion? I was thinking of buying a few games and play them on my TV, and use something like a DualShock 3 as a controller. Could this work?

Is it possible to stream anything to an Apple TV with Mountain Lion? I was thinking of buying a few games and play them on my TV, and use something like a DualShock 3 as a controller. Could this work?

You can use Airplay to mirror your Mac to the tv, but I don't think it would work for gaming. Seems to mostly be for presentations. The few times I've tried video it was jumpy, but my living room is a good ways away from our Airport Extreme so it could just be a combination of two less than strong Wifi signals.

Iacobellis

You can use Airplay to mirror your Mac to the tv, but I don't think it would work for gaming. Seems to mostly be for presentations. The few times I've tried video it was jumpy, but my living room is a good ways away from our Airport Extreme so it could just be a combination of two less than strong Wifi signals.

Ok, well My MacBook Pro and Apple TV would be in the same room, so I'm sure delay would be less prevalent. But, any content can be streamed?

Krelian

Anyone know how tough it is to swap hard drives on the Mac mini and will it void the warranty? I wouldn't mind getting the Fusion Drive but if I could buy my own SSD and put it in with minimal effort, that would be cool.
I haven't done it myself but there are several Youtube videos that detail the procedure. Essentially you have to disassemble the whole device to get to the hard drives. If you take your time it should not be too difficult though. You will also need to buy some tools if you don't already have them.

If you don't accidentally damage any part of your mini you won't void your warranty either.

Tabris

By the way, just incase anyone tries to do it, Airport Extreme + External Hard Drive combo is garbage. The limited CPU in the router limits it to like a 5MB/s read/write. It's not useable as either a media storage solution or a time machine option.

I'm having second thoughts about the external portable drive again. The read/write speeds are apparently terrible.

People reviewing it are reporting 40Mbps read and write speed which is really bad for a USB3 drive. In context, I just did speed tests of a desktop USB2 drive where I got around 30Mbps. And I tested my USB3 desktop drive (The Seagate) on my Air and got 150Mbps. 40Mbps is barely a step up from the 30 I was getting. So why bother? Does no one make a 1TB portable drive that uses high speed connections and actually gets anywhere near the speed of the bus? It seems not. At all. Guess I'll stick with networked drives as usual. At least until they either release moderately fast external portable drives with 1TB or more or I am able to use a large SD card of 128GB or more that isn't super slow.

Im running a 2012 27inch 1tb fusion imac and have 2 external usb 3.0 seagate 3tb drives (one for windows one for mac) and i stream 1080p movies straight off the drive and have not noticed any issue or speed drop outs in windows or mac os .

I can copy 7 gig files pretty quick into final cut and have had no issues....save your dough imo and sick with 1tb and base ram and simply go the diy route

By the way, just incase anyone tries to do it, Airport Extreme + External Hard Drive combo is garbage. The limited CPU in the router limits it to like a 5MB/s read/write. It's not useable as either a media storage solution or a time machine option.

I think that's more the USB2 limitation. I was hoping the new Extreme would add a USB3 port.

Ok, well My MacBook Pro and Apple TV would be in the same room, so I'm sure delay would be less prevalent. But, any content can be streamed?

Mine are in the same room, but you have to remember the signal is going to your router and then back to the tv. But yeah, you can stream anything as it's basically a dumb VNC-like mirror of your screen.

Deku Tree

I do that... it is very slow... but much faster than most alternatives, if you want to copy and ignore... it is the pretty much only reasonable option if you have several laptops that you want to back up etc. besides, time machine is only "very slow - i.e. days" on the first backup... the rest are not too bad.

Iacobellis

I think that's more the USB2 limitation. I was hoping the new Extreme would add a USB3 port.

Mine are in the same room, but you have to remember the signal is going to your router and then back to the tv. But yeah, you can stream anything as it's basically a dumb VNC-like mirror of your screen.

Wow, I might have to try this on a friend's Apple TV first. We have a similar Internet speed, so it'd be great to try before buying.

Mobius 1

Even then, there is enough lag to make anything but the slowest paced gaming unpleasant.

Notice there is a difference between streaming and mirroring. You can mirror the Mac display to the Apple TV, with everything in it. Streaming media is different, the application you're streaming media from must support AirPlay (iTunes, Quicktime).

Emitan

I wonder if the integrated graphics on the Macbook Airs are better than my 9600M.

Also, please stop crashing. I can't replace you for another few months :(

Wow, I might have to try this on a friend's Apple TV first. We have a similar Internet speed, so it'd be great to try before buying.

Sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, but it seems it would be far simpler to just connect your MacBook directly to the TV rather than trying to go through the Apple TV device. Unless there is some reason why you can't do this, it is by far the best solution.

The Synology Diskstation network drives will do all that. They have USB 3 as well for external drives. I'm so happy with mine, it's rock solid. I get well over 100 mbit/s over wifi.

Iacobellis

Even then, there is enough lag to make anything but the slowest paced gaming unpleasant.

Notice there is a difference between streaming and mirroring. You can mirror the Mac display to the Apple TV, with everything in it. Streaming media is different, the application you're streaming media from must support AirPlay (iTunes, Quicktime).

Wow, I totally meant mirroring all this time. Now that we've cleared up that confusion, can I mirror anything to my TV, including games purchased from the Mac App Store?

Number45

Does anyone know if the 12w power adapter also comes with the UK 3-pin adapter that you get with the iPad?

Looks like this:

IMG_0236.jpg

... but a bit slimmer. I would have thought it would mention if it came with it, but then I can't seem to find that as a standalone item in the store either.

Does anyone know if the 12w power adapter also comes with the UK 3-pin adapter that you get with the iPad?

From the Q&A section of your link:
The product is delivered with the correct 'duck head' adapter (plug) for the region the store sells to. If you order it from the France Apple Store, you will get the Euro round pins plug; if you order from the UK Apple Store you will get the UK rectangular pins plug. If you need a 'duck head' for another region, you will need to buy the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit in addition.

Yes it will void the warranty though I did it myself fairly easily on my Mac mini knowing full well of the consequences. Upgrading the RAM yourself will not cause any issues, though I honestly would just pay for the Fusion Drive or Apple SSD (Samsung 830).

Back in 2011 to upgrade to an SSD, it would have set you back $600. This time around it is $300. The Fusion drive is $250.

Funny enough, the biggest rip-off still lies with the 13" MacBook Pro which will charge you $200 for a 128 GB SSD and $500 for the 256 GB SSD.

At least for the mini, the 256 is $300.

Bruiserk

Are there any restrictions on upgrading RAM on a late 2012 MBP 2.3GHZ? I know in the retina display model the RAM is soldered on to the logic board. Will upgrading the RAM to 16GB manually be an issue or is it easy to do?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
MAC-GAF, I bought a mac book pro just yesterday however today it started making motor revving noises on the left side of my mac (I checked the right side but no noise was coming form there)....Im worried because I havent bumped/dropped it or anything and paranoid as well. Anyways, I just want my new mac to go back where there was pure silence.

help me mac-gaf!

also Im running the apple hardware test again. (I did a test as soon as I got one just in case there were errors on the get go)
edit: well I did the hardware test. And it said, "No trouble found" and after rebooting the noise is gone....so now Im wondering if this is normal?

Iacobellis

Are there any restrictions on upgrading RAM on a late 2012 MBP 2.3GHZ? I know in the retina display model the RAM is soldered on to the logic board. Will upgrading the RAM to 16GB manually be an issue or is it easy to do?

It might be possible. Apple only officially supports 8.

What do you plan to do on the computer? I have 8GB on my 15" Retina and hardly ever dip under 3GB available unless I have editing software, iTunes, and several tabs in Safari open.

Absolutely no restrictions. None.

I have an early 2011 MBP and I'm running 16GB of ram.

Just buy some with the right timings and profit. This is part of the reason I'm so apathetic towards Retina MBPs. Being able to expand my RAM bought me an extra 2 years on this laptop. I'm not ready for disposable $2000 computers, but that's what a Retina MBP feels like to me. Once you fill up your SSD space or start using apps that eat into system ram heavily...what can you do? Nothing but sell it and buy another.

Bruiserk

It might be possible. Apple only officially supports 8.

What do you plan to do on the computer? I have 8GB on my 15" Retina and hardly ever dip under 3GB available unless I have editing software, iTunes, and several tabs in Safari open.

It is not for me. My Uncle is having to test a program for a (small) company on different OS's. Win 64/32-bit, iOS, Mac OS. He is going to VM the Windows.

Just buy some with the right timings and profit. This is part of the reason I'm so apathetic towards Retina MBPs. Being able to expand my RAM bought me an extra 2 years on this laptop. I'm not ready for disposable $2000 computers, but that's what a Retina MBP feels like to me. Once you fill up your SSD space or start using apps that eat into system ram heavily...what can you do? Nothing but sell it and buy another.

Everything I have read says the same thing. Thanks for the response.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
MAC-GAF, I bought a mac book pro just yesterday however today it started making motor revving noises on the left side of my mac (I checked the right side but no noise was coming form there)....Im worried because I havent bumped/dropped it or anything and paranoid as well. Anyways, I just want my new mac to go back where there was pure silence.

help me mac-gaf!

also Im running the apple hardware test again. (I did a test as soon as I got one just in case there were errors on the get go)
edit: well I did the hardware test. And it said, "No trouble found" and after rebooting the noise is gone....so now Im wondering if this is normal?

You mean the fans kicked in? They're there for cooling. It's not uncommon that fans turn on after several minutes of usage.

help me mac-gaf!

lol that's the fans. Welcome to owning a laptop.

The the fact that rMBP aren't upgradable are scary, my 13" MBP from 2010 has been updated to 8gb of ram and an 250gb SSD and I feel it can run another couple years strong. I don't think apple will ever bend on making air or retina laptops upgradable

It's pretty disappointing how unupgradeable the new rMBPs are. I've used my GF's for a few After Effects projects and it just screams, but not being able to upgrade the RAM or the SSD kinda just kills it for me. :/

There's no chance that the tech will make it so that they can squeeze the same dimensions and have removeable parts, no?

It's pretty disappointing how unupgradeable the new rMBPs are. I've used my GF's for a few After Effects projects and it just screams, but not being able to upgrade the RAM or the SSD kinda just kills it for me. :/

There's no chance that the tech will make it so that they can squeeze the same dimensions and have removeable parts, no?
Apple wants you to pay the crazy surplus to buy the extra ram and storage from them.

My 16GB RAM and 768GB SSD made my rMBP cost me approx $3800 after tax.

There's no way Apple will give up that revenue stream.

Iacobellis

Apple wants you to pay the crazy surplus to buy the extra ram and storage from them.

After using a Retina Display machine, I do not see how I could ever go back to the normal 15" Pro. That and the lighter, thinner body make the higher price of entry so much easier to swallow.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does anyone know if the bottom line Mac mini has a slot inside for a second drive? Or do they cripple it just so you have to buy the Server model?

Tabris

Not a USB2 limitation as connected to USB2 on my thunderbolt display and it's 4x faster. It's the lack of CPU power / memory to handle the faster data transfer rates of the full USB2 bandwidth.

Jzero

Guys, is there a way that you can Sync apps on multiple devices without iTunes? For instance, if you download an app on your iPhone, it can automatically be downloaded onto your iPod.

Tabris

Anyone else getting the feeling that the Mac App Store has been abandoned? Every software application I need refuses to release software on the app store, and the few that were on there (like ccleaner) have left.

I wonder what Apple will do about it. I would love if everything was just on there.

The the fact that rMBP aren't upgradable are scary, my 13" MBP from 2010 has been updated to 8gb of ram and an 250gb SSD and I feel it can run another couple years strong. I don't think apple will ever bend on making air or retina laptops upgradable

concur. sadly.

sweet jesus...

yea, this is why there is a high likelihood that my next laptop won't be a Mac.

I still want a 17" with a good matte screen. I'm probably going to be poached by HP (Elitebook) or Dell (Precision).

SIGH.

Iacobellis

Anyone else getting the feeling that the Mac App Store has been abandoned? Every software application I need refuses to release software on the app store, and the few that were on there (like ccleaner) have left.

I wonder what Apple will do about it. I would love if everything was just on there.

CCleaner is still there. But, now that you mention it, the Mac App Store does feel so much more barren than mobile App Stores. Of course, you have multiple places to get an app on the computer, compared to an iPhone that only allows one.

Tabris

It's really just the 768GB SSD drive that cost so much there. SSD prices are insane still. That 768GB probably goes for $800+ straight up by itself. A 600GB one costs $800+ on newegg.com

Tabris

CCleaner is still there. But, now that you mention it, the Mac App Store does feel so much more barren than mobile App Stores. Of course, you have multiple places to get an app on the computer, compared to an iPhone that only allows one.

Still there but it's like 6 months old. They aren't updating, you have to download the latest from their website as they stopped deploying updates to the store.

Iacobellis

Still there but it's like 6 months old. They aren't updating, you have to download the latest from their website as they stopped deploying updates to the store.

Yeah, and the only app Adobe has available for download is Lightroom, ironically the cheapest one. I guess they ignore the Store because with their own servers, they can have the newest version of software available on day one and not wait on the process put in Apple.

Top Bottom