• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Can someone help me with iCloud tabs. I had to reformat my MacBook Air this weekend, and the old safari tabs are still showing up in the iCloud tabs secton on safari in my iOS devices and reformatted Mac. For example, right now in the iPad, it shows two different MacBook airs with opened tabs. I figured I could go into the mobile documents folder in Library and delete something, but nothing seems to pertain to iCloud tabs. Any ideas on how to delete the safari iCloud tabs for the old MacBook Air?

Sean

Banned
Can someone help me with iCloud tabs. I had to reformat my MacBook Air this weekend, and the old safari tabs are still showing up in the iCloud tabs secton on safari in my iOS devices and reformatted Mac. For example, right now in the iPad, it shows two different MacBook airs with opened tabs. I figured I could go into the mobile documents folder in Library and delete something, but nothing seems to pertain to iCloud tabs. Any ideas on how to delete the safari iCloud tabs for the old MacBook Air?

I've encountered this issue several times after reformatting Macs/selling iOS devices. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do on your end, but it will remove itself automatically from the iCloud tabs list after about a week of inactivity.

So unless it really annoys you I would just wait a few more days and let it drop off naturally rather than messing around in the hidden iCloud folders.

I see. I'll wait the week and see what happens. I just assumed it was stored somehwere in mobile documents since everything else icloud related is in there.

Another question: All of my music is in the cloud, but prior to the format, i downloaded everything. How can I add all of that music to itunes without it trying to add it to the cloud? Do I just drag the music folder onto itunes, and it will know not to try and add that music to itunes match and just alias link every song to the disk?

Iacobellis

If Apple releases FCP X 10.1 this year, will it be a free update or paid? I don't have FCP X yet, but was thinking of getting it soon. Should I wait or just buy it immediately once I have the funds for it?

TUSR

Banned
Which one and how does it work? Read/Write speed?

Its the Seagate GoFlex one (Cable+Adapter). It runs faster than USB3, ive primarily been using it for games. Its nice to free up a USB port and actually use TB equipment.

Haven't figured out how to get it working with my W7 bootcamp yet. It recognizes that the drive is connected but I cannot access the drive though.

Ill post some real numbers in a bit.

I've got a Macbook Pro - Early 2011. (15", 2.2GHz) and it's incredibly slow. I think it might be my harddrive that's dying because I did a test with ... I can't remember the name, but there were a lot of failing sectors or something. It was a harddrive test. I've checked this a while back.

I'm not sure 100% sure what the problem is though. I've formatted before but after a few days the macbook got very slow again.

When I press reboot it takes ages if I don't close the programs myself. Starting up takes ages as well.

I'd like to know for sure if it's the harddrive before I buy a Crucial M4 or something.

Thanks in advance!

Deku Tree

I've got a Macbook Pro - Early 2011. (15", 2.2GHz) and it's incredibly slow. I think it might be my harddrive that's dying because I did a test with ... I can't remember the name, but there were a lot of failing sectors or something. It was a harddrive test. I've checked this a while back.

I'm not sure 100% sure what the problem is though. I've formatted before but after a few days the macbook got very slow again.

When I press reboot it takes ages if I don't close the programs myself. Starting up takes ages as well.

I'd like to know for sure if it's the harddrive before I buy a Crucial M4 or something.

Thanks in advance!

An Early 2011 Macbook Pro should still be under warranty (if you bought Applecare, which you should have...). If that were the case you could bring it to an apple store and get it fixed for no additional cost, no questions asked.

I had a HDD fail, and I had exactly the same thing happen. Things slowed down a lot. I even heard a clicking sound coming from the HDD. It became very slow even to move through the file hierarchy in the Mac OS. I don't know if there is a fool proof test to answer the question "is my HDD failing?". But it sure sounds that way from your post... I would back up my data ASAP as step 1.

In fact when this happened I was on the west coast for work. I dropped my laptop with badd HDD off at an apple store on the west coast (it was still under warranty). They sent it to their repair facility, and then they mailed it back to my home address on the east coast. Very easy. All at no additional cost.

nib95

Banned
Well I finally got another MBPr and low and behold not only does it have the LG screen, it also creaks like my first. Because it took so long to get here (custom spec) I'm going to keep it. Hope the screen thing doesn't rear it's ugly head and take it to the Mac store to get the creak thing sorted. Will see how it pans out. Urgh....

I've ordered a professional Retina set of tools online, worst case I'll tighten them on the back myself. I think two might be ever so slightly loose. Apple has so massively dropped the ball lately, but I'm the sucker who keeps going back. Fucking other Windows vendors and their not as good high end hardware.

Sony, Samsung, Asus etc, you had your chance.

31JsdLorsDL._SX300_.jpg

So I got this hard drive a few hours ago...it was backing up but then my gf accidently knocked it down...It fell flat from the kitchen table. It still works but am I just freaking out if I think it's magically gonna blow up sometime in the future?

TUSR

Banned
Which one and how does it work? Read/Write speed?

Dicked around with the Black Magic test. Turns out the USB3 is actually running on average 6MB/s faster. Which is disheartening.

The verdict: If you buy a Thunderbolt external, buy a TB only drive. It costs more and should post better results. I just might consider doing it.

Jake.

i'm getting a 13" air in a week with my friends 10% discount - i'm upgrading everything except the HDD ($550 AUS for 225gb to 500gb is way too much). is there anything else i need? this will be my first mac. i was going to wait for the new model but i presume they will be out at the absolute earliest in june?

also, can someone please confirm that i can use my stereo system on it through the audio jack? the air only has a headphones/mic input, whereas my current (pc) laptop has that and a green external audio jack in which my speakers are plugged into. i have heard using the headphone jack for speakers is bad news. if not, cna i use one of those bluetooth speaker adapters?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
hey guys, my mbp suddenly goes into sleep mode soon after I wake it up. I read on the nets that its probably because it dealt with overheating. But the thing is my mbp hardly overheats and it was cold on the bottom when I touched it due to the possibility that it might be overheating. this has happened few times but any clues as to why?
*this is a recently bought mbp btw*

also, can someone please confirm that i can use my stereo system on it through the audio jack? the air only has a headphones/mic input, whereas my current (pc) laptop has that and a green external audio jack in which my speakers are plugged into. i have heard using the headphone jack for speakers is bad news. if not, cna i use one of those bluetooth speaker adapters?

I don't know about using the headphone jack for this, it might work. If it works with your current laptop, then it probably will with the mac as well. But if you can, you should go mini displayport to HDMI. My MBA is connected to my AV receiver this way and it works like a charm for both audio and video.

Another option: Airport express with the stereo audio output.

Jake.

I don't know about using the headphone jack for this, it might work. If it works with your current laptop, then it probably will with the mac as well. But if you can, you should go mini displayport to HDMI. My MBA is connected to my AV receiver this way and it works like a charm for both audio and video.

Another option: Airport express with the stereo audio output.

the headphone jack on my current laptop doesn't work - the speakers have to be plugged into via the green audio out jack. i had heard about airport express, would it be better than say the logitech bluetooth speaker adapter (half of the price)? sorry, i'm pretty clueless re: apple.

Baconbitz

Banned
31JsdLorsDL._SX300_.jpg

So I got this hard drive a few hours ago...it was backing up but then my gf accidently knocked it down...It fell flat from the kitchen table. It still works but am I just freaking out if I think it's magically gonna blow up sometime in the future?

You're lucky. Had one of those for a windows laptop. Got it for Xmas. Man, was I pissed off. Knocked it off by mistake. That was the end of that.

i had heard about airport express, would it be better than say the logitech bluetooth speaker adapter (half of the price)? sorry, i'm pretty clueless re: apple.

The only reason to use the Airport Express over a bluetooth adaptor (which will work with no software) is if you want 5.1 out of the mini TOSLINK port; however if you don't need a router/bridge, the same price Apple TV does the same audio stuff as well as video.

The speakers will work fine from the headphone port, just keep the volume down on the computer. I think I would prefer to use the wireless though, just for convenience.

An Early 2011 Macbook Pro should still be under warranty (if you bought Applecare, which you should have...). If that were the case you could bring it to an apple store and get it fixed for no additional cost, no questions asked.

I had a HDD fail, and I had exactly the same thing happen. Things slowed down a lot. I even heard a clicking sound coming from the HDD. It became very slow even to move through the file hierarchy in the Mac OS. I don't know if there is a fool proof test to answer the question "is my HDD failing?". But it sure sounds that way from your post... I would back up my data ASAP as step 1.

In fact when this happened I was on the west coast for work. I dropped my laptop with badd HDD off at an apple store on the west coast (it was still under warranty). They sent it to their repair facility, and then they mailed it back to my home address on the east coast. Very easy. All at no additional cost.

Nope, I did not buy Applecare. There are no apple stores here anyway. But maybe that's something that I should consider in the future. In any case, it's probably the HD. I'll check to see if I can return the SSD after I've bought it if it doesn't seem to be a HDD problem.

5aRQH.png

A screenshot from the program "SMART utility".

RBH

I have an WD external drive along with a MacBook Air, and I'm thinking about installing NTFS-3G on my MBA in order to read and write NTFS from Mac OS X.

Any impressions of this program? Seems like it would be nice because it would allow me to copy files from my Mac to the hard drive without having to reformat to FAT32, but I just wanted to make sure that it works fine.

TUSR

Banned
I have an WD external drive along with a MacBook Air, and I'm thinking about installing NTFS-3G on my MBA in order to read and write NTFS from Mac OS X.

Any impressions of this program? Seems like it would be nice because it would allow me to copy files from my Mac to the hard drive without having to reformat to FAT32, but I just wanted to make sure that it works fine.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26288/ntfs-for-mac-os-x

Came with my Seagate drive for free and worked great. Should just format it to FAT32 and avoid all the trouble of finding a decent program.

Baconbitz

Banned
I have had trouble ever since I got my first iPod keeping my music/apps/tv/movies all organized under one "iTunes media" folder. I have maybe 3 or 4 of those folders. The question. Is there a program to be able to manage this? I know I could manually manage this but it would take a large portion of my day.

Doesn't iTunes do it? I only have music, podcasts, and apps for my iPhone and iPod, but it keeps the music sorted nicely (and I have never thought to dive through the apps or podcasts).

I may be misunderstanding the question.

Baconbitz

Banned
Doesn't iTunes do it? I only have music, podcasts, and apps for my iPhone and iPod, but it keeps the music sorted nicely (and I have never thought to dive through the apps or podcasts).

I may be misunderstanding the question.

Within the itunes media section is some music, then I have another itunes media folder. For whatever reason I have 3 or 4 of them with my music scatter about. I think this is the reason I always end up with some of my music having a ! by it.

Within the itunes media section is some music, then I have another itunes media folder. For whatever reason I have 3 or 4 of them with my music scatter about. I think this is the reason I always end up with some of my music having a ! by it.

Tell iTunes to manage your collection (in preferences), then start adding the extra folders to your library. It should be able to sort it out (thought try with a couple albums first to see what happens). You may have to have it look for duplicates.

I have Paragon NTFS and it works as advertised. It's invisible. The transfer speeds over USB 3 seem fine too, so it's not even a huge compromise.

Baconbitz

Banned
I'm so confused. I want to cut files/folders from a previous location to a new location. There is no way to "cut" so I'm stuck with copying. If I copy they are still in the old location. So, I tried to delete them from the old location and it deleted from both locations. Then I removed it from the trash and it put it in both locations.

Riptwo

I'm so confused. I want to cut files/folders from a previous location to a new location. There is no way to "cut" so I'm stuck with copying. If I copy they are still in the old location. So, I tried to delete them from the old location and it deleted from both locations. Then I removed it from the trash and it put it in both locations.
I remember having all kinds of file management issues when I first switched to OSX, but I found that most of the time I was severely overthinking things. Have you tried the drag & drop approach to move said files?

Emitan

Anyone tried gaming on the 2012 Macbook Air? I'm not expecting much, I'm just curious about how games like Dota 2 and Starcraft 2 run.

LCfiner

Would Apple be willing to install RAM that I purchased elsewhere on an iMac? Ordering 16GB of RAM from Apple directly costs $200

you talking about the 21" imac that needs to have the screen unglued to install RAM?

you may want to check out the price difference if you get the base 27" model. I don't think it's that much more then you can install 2 sticks of your own RAM for cheap (it gets added to the 8 GB standard inside)

Man this new Mac SCREAMS. I pretty much maxed it out in everything but RAM which I added myself and is a breeze to do on the new 27", easier than the old one. i7 3.4ghz with 3TB fusion drive, GTX 680MX and 16gb RAM. SO FAST. It's actually faster than my PC gaming rig in everything except the GPU, and it's no slouch there either - ran a few games in native rez and it just gobbled them up. This may be the first iMac with a really games-capable GPU. Loving it so far. I think the main performance increase I'm seeing is from the SSD, everything just appears instantly. DA DA DA DA DA I'M LOVING IT.

LCfiner

Wait, you can use iMac's as monitors? HOW?

the video out also works as a video in.

BUT!!!

the only properly usable ones for PCs are the pre-thunderbolt iMacs since mini display port is fairly common.

there are no PC video cards that I have seen that have thunderbolt out and the iMacs with thunderbolt NEED a thunderbolt signal to work as a monitor. So they'll only really work with other Mac laptops or the mini.

Deleting from the old should only remove from the new if instead you made an 'alias' (like Shortcut in Windows, sort of; like a soft-link in Unix, sort of). I guess deleting it in mid-copy might do something un-good like that, haven't tried it.

When dragging and dropping, a green circle with a white plus in it indicates a copy. No icon means a move. A little curved arrow means an alias will be created. The default behaviour is to move when the source and destination folders are on the same volume and to copy when on different volumes. You can force a move by holding cmd (the green icon will go away), or force a copy by hold option (it will show up). Holding both cmd and opt will make an alias.

I'm getting a new SSD on friday. As I don't have a dual layer DVD to burn on or USB stick to put Mountain Lion on it, I'm going to install Snow Leopard on it first and then upgrade to Mountain Lion. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

Thanks

Anyone think there is a chance the 13" rMBP will get discrete graphics a generation or two down the line? I think it's the perfect laptop, but I'm never going to pay that much for integrated graphics only.

Top Bottom