• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Deku Tree

It's not that unlikely, really.

The insides of computers are dark and warm places. Keep your desks & houses clean!

What I think is unlikely is that those big huge roaches (the ones in the video were big) could find an entrance into a closed iMac. The iMac doesn't have cracks that are big enough IMO.

Iacobellis

Physical media is dead!

To be honest I wouldn't mind a USB BD drive so I could watch my anime collection.

"Apple announces new external USB Blu-Ray drive. Starts at $149 and works with any Mac that is not equipped with a SuperDrive."

Yeah, I would rather just buy the handful of movies I have again on iTunes.

I still can't believe there's no official Blu-ray drive yet.

I'd be shocked if there ever was one, I think apple probably hates the fact they even have a SuperDrive

Once they phase out fat MacBook Pro models the company will be completely without optical drives
except Mac Pro

Damnit my air is making creaking sounds now. Especially in the middle of the computer. And my spacebar is randomly sticking for some reason. I've never spilt anything on it or anything I can think of.

Guess it's worth taking it to an Apple Store. Got the computer in August. Fuck.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still can't believe there's no official Blu-ray drive yet.
Believe it. Apple will never put on in. They're trying to kill the optical drive all together like they did the floppy. Just buy an external one. As for playback software, that's another issue all together. Forget it, JeFf. It's Chinatown!

I'm looking to buy 2x4GB of memory for my Macbook Pro (15", 2.2GHz, early 2011).

Is there any memory you guys can recommend, except the Crucial memory?

Deku Tree

I'm looking to buy 2x4GB of memory for my Macbook Pro (15", 2.2GHz, early 2011).

Is there any memory you guys can recommend, except the Crucial memory?

I bought 2x4GB of Kingston memory from Amazon last week for $40. It is installed, and it works good so far. The IT guy at my office said that Kingston was good RAM.

(The memory prices on amazon seem to change several times a day, don't know why...)

I bought 2x4GB of Kingston memory from Amazon last week for $40. It is installed, and it works good so far. The IT guy at my office said that Kingston was good RAM.

(The memory prices on amazon seem to change several times a day, don't know why...)

It has to be 1333MHz, right? Any other factors that I should take into consideration?

ngower

Anyone with a Magic Mouse have problems where it suddenly becomes incredibly hard to click? Mine's only a month or so old, so I'm sure I could get a replacement if need be, but everything was working fine until this morning...just looking to see if anyone else has shared this problem.

Iacobellis

Is it worth waiting for the next MBA upgrade?

Are we looking at something big?

Haswell, and MAYBE Retina. The 13 inch rMBP runs solely off of an HD 4000 GPU, so I think 4600 will surely be able to handle the slightly lower resolution of the 11 inch display and the 1440 x 900 res. of the 13 inch model.

I'm surprised none of the key people at Apple have mentioned the word "transition" at any of the keynotes since WWDC 2010. Moving to Retina Displays for all machines seems like quite the transition to me. Probably not on the level of Motorola to PPC or PPC to Intel, but it is still significant nonetheless.

Sec0nd

So my Macbook gave me a heart attack. The computer broke down while I was away at work. All sorts of crazy Matrix stuff on my screen and it was transmitting a 3 beep sequence over and over. I turned it off and on again and it seems to work again. Apparantly the 3 beep sequence meant I had no good RAM banks in my computer. I did replace my RAM a month or so ago so maybe that's the reason. Hopefully it'll just continue to work. :(

muddream

Banned
Question is if they will do a Retina Macbook Air. If they did, how much more expensive? and what would it mean for battery? and price?

I think the 13" rMBP is the retina MBA in a way. It's only thicker on one side, hardly heavier, no optical drive..and even it struggles with the retina display. The 13" rMBP has a 50% larger battery, yet the MBA gets better battery life. UI performance isn't always smooth, which boils down to 2 bottlenecks: GPU and single threaded CPU performance.

Haswell should fix the GPU issue, but I don't see the MBA getting a 3GHz CPU anytime soon. It would be nice if they gave the MBA an IPS display, tho.

Iacobellis

I think the 13" rMBP is the retina MBA in a way. It's only thicker on one side, hardly heavier, no optical drive..and even it struggles with the retina display. The 13" rMBP has a 50% larger battery, yet the MBA gets better battery life. UI performance isn't always smooth, which boils down to 2 bottlenecks: GPU and single threaded CPU performance.

Haswell should fix the GPU issue, but I don't see the MBA getting a 3GHz CPU anytime soon. It would be nice if they gave the MBA an IPS display, tho.

IPS + the increased contrast that matches sRGB color standards. I love it on my iPhone 5 and rMBP. Cannot live without it now.

Haswell isn't coming out until end of 2013 early 2014 so we won't see them in the new rMBPs or Airs this year which is really a shame

I was hoping to give my MBP to my girlfriend and get myself a new laptop

Anyone with a Magic Mouse have problems where it suddenly becomes incredibly hard to click? Mine's only a month or so old, so I'm sure I could get a replacement if need be, but everything was working fine until this morning...just looking to see if anyone else has shared this problem.

Maybe something got stuck under the button? It sucks that you can't take it apart without breaking it.

Regarding the retina MBA: I'm pretty happy with the pixel density as it is. I'd rather they take their time with this one instead of going to retina before the rest of the hardware is powerful enough to handle that resolution.

TUSR

Banned
There were Windows 7 Ivy Bridge laptops out almost 2 months before Apple refreshed the MBP line with Ivy Bridge chip sets last year so I'm not sure that Apple gets exclusive release dates on Intel chips.

When the Ivy laptops came out, that was the first availability. Guess W7 had them too.

ngower

Maybe something got stuck under the button? It sucks that you can't take it apart without breaking it.

Regarding the retina MBA: I'm pretty happy with the pixel density as it is. I'd rather they take their time with this one instead of going to retina before the rest of the hardware is powerful enough to handle that resolution.

You know I hadn't even thought about that possibility. Gave it a few hearty shakes and it's back to normal. Ha!

Iacobellis

It has to be 1333MHz, right? Any other factors that I should take into consideration?

You can just goto "About this Mac" form the Apple logo in the corner if the original RAM is still installed. Then that would tell you the speed.

Looking up your computer model online will also help you.

Hey guys,

I've been Mac'ed since 2007 and never went back. Now I miss some really good PC games and my iMac, although still running good, is due for retirement

I'm contemplating getting the new iMacs because they're gorgeous, but do they have enough juice to handle PC games? Because otherwise I might actually look into building a PC reg

Majine

Banned
Hey guys,

I've been Mac'ed since 2007 and never went back. Now I miss some really good PC games and my iMac, although still running good, is due for retirement

I'm contemplating getting the new iMacs because they're gorgeous, but do they have enough juice to handle PC games? Because otherwise I might actually look into building a PC reg

They are beefy enough to throw most current PC games at. But the Old rule is "Do gaming on mac, but don't buy a mac for gaming".

hiro4

Hey guys,

Depends on how much you can spend and what size you want.
The high end 27" with the 680mx is quite capable specs wise and the reviews were quite positive about it when gaming. Still buying an iMac just for gaming is never a good idea but as a mac user you already know that.

They are beefy enough to throw most current PC games at. But the Old rule is "Do gaming on mac, but don't buy a mac for gaming".

Depends on how much you can spend and what size you want.
The high end 27" with the 680mx is quite capable specs wise and the reviews were quite positive about it when gaming. Still buying an iMac just for gaming is never a good idea but as a mac user you already know that.

I'm not really buying an iMac for gaming, but I hate missing out on some good games.. maximum a game or 2 per year that I really want to play sometimes

nib95

Banned
An update on the Macbook Retina creaking issue. I took it to the Apple store and they wouldn't replace it, but tightened it up for me and told me to come back after some use, to see if it had improved. Well...it hadn't. It lessened slightly, but the issue persisted.

Rather than go back to argue for a replacement, I decided to get a Retina screwdriver from eBay myself. A nice high quality magnetic, aluminium handled one. Well, I took off the rear plate, and then re-applied each screw. But one by one in opposites. I,e, far left followed by far right, top followed by bottom etc. To ensure pressure was applied evenly throughout.

I only tightened each to when I just started feeling some resistance, instead of going super tight, and low and behold, no more creaking. There's some rubber sealant around the rim below the Mac plate under each screw, so I guess some flex is fine.

In any case, too much torque and tightness is the problem. Loosen the screws slightly (one's that are too tight) and it will solve the issue. Fingers crossed the creak doesn't come back!

Iacobellis

Hey guys,

If your current Mac is good enough for the work you do, then building a PC to play games might be the better route. A little cheaper and you get more flexibility in terms of hardware, drivers, and modifications such as overclocking.

LCfiner

I'm not really buying an iMac for gaming, but I hate missing out on some good games.. maximum a game or 2 per year that I really want to play sometimes

if that's it, then you're fine with the imac and I would just recommend getting the 680MX GPU upgrade.

It'll run current games fine at 1080p med to high settings (native res of 2560 x 1440 might be pushing it too much) and you won't need to get a new PC and a new monitor to run those few games you want to play each year.

Top Bottom