• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

I'm so confused. I want to cut files/folders from a previous location to a new location. There is no way to "cut" so I'm stuck with copying. If I copy they are still in the old location. So, I tried to delete them from the old location and it deleted from both locations. Then I removed it from the trash and it put it in both locations.

There is a way to cut or move in finder (in addition to dragging):

step 1: cmd + C
step 2: cmd + option + V

Leave out the option in step 2 and you're copying, obviously.

The difference to windows is that you make the decision whether to copy or move in the second step instead of the first. It still weirds me out.

Anyone think there is a chance the 13" rMBP will get discrete graphics a generation or two down the line? I think it's the perfect laptop, but I'm never going to pay that much for integrated graphics only.

The only direction Intel has to go with its integrated graphics is up even if the increments it makes are minor. The price of the 13" rMBP will eventually go down in a generation or two as there is no way it stays at $1,700.

Sapiens

There is a way to cut or move in finder (in addition to dragging):

step 1: cmd + C
step 2: cmd + option + V

Leave out the option in step 2 and you're copying, obviously.

The difference to windows is that you make the decision whether to copy or move in the second step instead of the first. It still weirds me out.

How did I never know this?

Fuck me.

Anyways, jut picked up a topping TP30 mini headphone amp and I was very happy to learn that OS X recognized it immediately. Sounds good and looks good next to a mini.

JackEtc

the video out also works as a video in.

BUT!!!

the only properly usable ones for PCs are the pre-thunderbolt iMacs since mini display port is fairly common.

there are no PC video cards that I have seen that have thunderbolt out and the iMacs with thunderbolt NEED a thunderbolt signal to work as a monitor. So they'll only really work with other Mac laptops or the mini.

My friend has an old iMac in our dorm room that he barely uses. Definitely would be better to have it as a second monitor. Thanks for the heads up!

LCfiner

How did I never know this?

Fuck me.

Anyways, jut picked up a topping TP30 mini headphone amp and I was very happy to learn that OS X recognized it immediately. Sounds good and looks good next to a mini.

It's some thing they added very recently. Like with 10.7 or maybe 10.6. And the presence of the option is 100% hidden. so, yeah, don't worry about "missing it".

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, it's one of those special "Hidden until you press the right modifier" menu options. Open all the menus on OS X and press some modifiers. You'll see a few of them change to alternate things.

I thing Apple did this to keep it cleaner looking instead of filling every menu with every option. Which is why we have an "option" key in the first place.

For instance, in the Finder you have the following:
Command+I is "Get Info". It shows all the information for a single file. If you have multiple files selected it opens a window for each one.
If you press Option at the same time it turns to "Show Inspector" which is like Get Info but is a floating window that changes its contents when you change file selections.
If you press Control instead it changes to "Get Summary Info" which is like the Inspector, in which it can show information for multiple files at once, but it doesn't change when you select another file.​

Rather have three separate "Info" options showing at once in the File menu, OS X only shows the main one and changes it depending on the modifier you press.

TUSR

Banned

v4zQ3.jpg

Not really much to say here.

Iacobellis

The 650M needs 2GB of VRAM.

I think we will see 1.5GB in whatever chip is in this year's model.

Question for anybody: Does using a higher scaled resolution (i.e. 1920 x 1200) on the rMBP drain the battery faster than something like 1680 x 1050?

TUSR

Banned
I think we will see 1.5GB in whatever chip is in this year's model.

Question for anybody: Does using a higher scaled resolution (i.e. 1920 x 1200) on the rMBP, drain the batter faster than something like 1680 x 1050?

Using any scaled resolution affects performance. And should drain the battery at a different rate.

Iacobellis

Using any scaled resolution affects performance. And should drain the battery at a different rate.

So I'd be better off at 1680 x 1050 then? I'm fine with using it, but the extra real estate with 1920 x 1200 is amazing and could definitely help me in FCP.

EDIT: Wow, I had no idea Apple used the script from the Crazy Ones ad in the display settings.
Even more weird since I was watching it on YouTube earlier today. I miss Steve dearly. :(

Deku Tree

I just hooked up my rMBP 15" to a Dell u2713hm, and put the rMBP on a 12south laptop stand. It is a shame not to look at the retina screen but the dell is almost as good pixel-wise and has tons more screen space. Love it. Love the USB 3.0 HUB on the Dell too.

I spilled protein shake all over my MBP, how screwed am I? I tried removing the keys on the keyboard, broke some in the process, and I can not possibly get all the gunk out. Feels bad :(

kennah

Your model is one that has frequent graphics card death. But is also one that runs Valve games fine. I beat Portal 2 on the Early 2008 15"

Edit. Whoops i'm wrong. It isn't the one that has frequent death. But still should be able to run those games fine.

misterchef

Neo Member
Just bought a new 13" MacBook Air, essentially maxed out.

2.0 GHZ i7, 8 GB Ram, 256 GB SSD

I checked the Mac Rumors buying guide, and it seems that the only upgrade for 2013 would be newer processors across the board and Retina display standard for the Pro line (ie: Air won't see that much difference).

Is that the consensus here? Or would it be worth it to return this Air and wait until June for potentially significant upgrades?

Emitan

Your model is one that has frequent graphics card death. But is also one that runs Valve games fine. I beat Portal 2 on the Early 2008 15"

Edit. Whoops i'm wrong. It isn't the one that has frequent death. But still should be able to run those games fine.

I wanted to know if an Intel 4000 could run them, not my lcurrent laptop.

Iacobellis

Im going to figure out what im talking about when I get home.

My tax return is $1300 of disposable money.

TB display needs to get an update pretty quick here.

A Retina Thunderbolt Display would be 4K, wouldn't it? I think the 650M could handle that. It can drive two Thunderbolt Displays simultaneously, right?

TUSR

Banned
A Retina Thunderbolt Display would be 4K, wouldn't it? I think the 650M could handle that. It can drive two Thunderbolt Displays simultaneously, right?

The current TB display 2560x1440. But it doesn't have USB3.0 which is a huge problem for me.

Hoping the refresh has 3.0

Yes immediately, and the shake was thick so it did not sink too far in, but I don't know seems impossible to adequately clean the keyboard

Might have to disassemble.

I wanted to know if an Intel 4000 could run them, not my lcurrent laptop.

The Air HD4000 is different than the rMBP one.

Deku Tree

The current TB display 2560x1440. But it doesn't have USB3.0 which is a huge problem for me.

Hoping the refresh has 3.0

This is one of the reasons why I bought a Dell u2713hm. It was $300 cheaper. It has a usb3.0 hub. It has dvi, VGA, hdmi, and display ports (apple has none of these). It does not have thunderbolt, internal speakers, or a FaceTime camera. But I didn't care about those things. The screen is at least as good as apples TB display. The dell stand provides much better tilt and swivel options too.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of the reasons why I bought a Dell u2713hm. It was $300 cheaper. It has a usb3.0 hub. It has dvi, VGA, hdmi, and monitor ports (apple has none of these). It does not have thunderbolt, internal speakers, or a FaceTime camera. But I didn't care about those things. The screen is at least as good as apples TB display. The dell stand provides much better tilt and swivel options too.
Wish I could have grabbed one of those :/
The price difference over the u2412 just was too hard to swallow.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You would not believe how many ant infested Wii Remotes I have seen in my lifetime.
Electronics with a way (fans, speakers, etc) in run the risk of being like bug motel with no poison when/if they come across them. So yeah, keep clean!

Top Bottom