• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Iacobellis

An update on the Macbook Retina creaking issue. I took it to the Apple store and they wouldn't replace it, but tightened it up for me and told me to come back after some use, to see if it had improved. Well...it hadn't. It lessened slightly, but the issue persisted.

Rather than go back to argue for a replacement, I decided to get a Retina screwdriver from eBay myself. A nice high quality magnetic, aluminium handled one. Well, I took off the rear plate, and then re-applied each screw. But one by one in opposites. I,e, far left followed by far right, top followed by bottom etc. To ensure pressure was applied evenly throughout.

I only tightened each to when I just started feeling some resistance, instead of going super tight, and low and behold, no more creaking. There's some rubber sealant around the rim below the Mac plate under each screw, so I guess some flex is fine.

In any case, too much torque and tightness is the problem. Loosen the screws slightly (one's that are too tight) and it will solve the issue. Fingers crossed the creak doesn't come back!

That's great! I might have to do something similar to my PS Vita, the triggers don't click evenly.

Could you link me to where you got that screwdriver? I was thinking of getting one from iFixit for whenever I would need to clean my rMBP. Gotta make it last as long as you can!

muddream

Banned
I'm not really buying an iMac for gaming, but I hate missing out on some good games.. maximum a game or 2 per year that I really want to play sometimes

A decked out iMac isn't that much cheaper than the MBA + Thunderbolt Display + upgradable gaming rig combo, so you might want to look into that unless you need a powerful Mac for stuff like Final Cut Pro. The iMac is good for now, but might struggle with next-gen games.

Iacobellis

A decked out iMac isn't that much cheaper than the MBA + Thunderbolt Display + upgradable gaming rig combo, so you might want to look into that unless you need a powerful Mac for stuff like Final Cut Pro. The iMac is good for now, but might struggle with next-gen games.

A maxed out 27" iMac is $4,249.00. He could easily buy a 2012 MBP, Thunderbolt Display, and have enough for a gaming rig.

It will play Simcity.

There :p

I hate mind readers :p

If your current Mac is good enough for the work you do, then building a PC to play games might be the better route. A little cheaper and you get more flexibility in terms of hardware, drivers, and modifications such as overclocking.

The thing is, I've had my iMac since 2007 and I'm not sure how longer it will keep running, and I don't want to have 2 desktops at home. One is plenty enough.

Seems like I'm going to stick with iMac. Good thing I'm not really in a rush to take a decision

A maxed out 27" iMac is $4,249.00. He could easily buy a 2012 MBP, Thunderbolt Display, and have enough for a gaming rig.
That's if you get the stupid shit like 32GB RAM when you can buy the last 2 8GB RAM sticks from macsales.com or another third party for way cheaper, and the 768GB flash storage instead of the 3TB Fusion drive which is also a dumb decision IMO.

A sensibly maxed out 27" iMac is $2949 + however much you can find an extra 8+8GB of RAM for.

And yeah I'm glad I'm not the only one with a creaky rMBP. It doesn't happen often enough to bother me, I'm just glad it doesn't mean there's a problem with it.

Iacobellis

That's if you get the stupid shit like 32GB RAM when you can buy the last 2 8GB RAM sticks from macsales.com or another third party for way cheaper, and the 768GB flash storage instead of the 3TB Fusion drive which is also a dumb decision IMO.

A sensibly maxed out 27" iMac is $2949.

In that case, he could get a $1,499 21" iMac and build a computer. The iMac works as an external display, right?

LCfiner

In that case, he could get a $1,499 21" iMac and build a computer. The iMac works as an external display, right?

Not really. it only accepts thunderbolt in. not miniDP or anything else. a dedicated PC WILL need a second monitor. an imac or thunderbolt display will not work.

the guy who asked this only said he'd play a couple games a year. the 27" imac is fine for that. dropping a notch or two from native res and getting the 680MX upgrade will be fine for that low amount of gaming each year.

investing another 800 or 1K on a gaming PC and second monitor is only worth it, imo, if you're gonna be playing something demanding on the hardware (more than the 680 MX can handle) every week for years.

jonhuz

Yeah, I was reading about it a little earlier today. Shame you can't get it in the 21" iMac, that would scream on the 1080p resolution.

It does. Currently playing Alan Wake with all settings on high (4X AA), 1080p, v-sync on. It holds 60FPS 95% of the time.

Artemisia

Banned
Haswell chip, maybe. I don't think retina. Atleast not this year.

Haswell, and MAYBE Retina. The 13 inch rMBP runs solely off of an HD 4000 GPU, so I think 4600 will surely be able to handle the slightly lower resolution of the 11 inch display and the 1440 x 900 res. of the 13 inch model.

I'm surprised none of the key people at Apple have mentioned the word "transition" at any of the keynotes since WWDC 2010. Moving to Retina Displays for all machines seems like quite the transition to me. Probably not on the level of Motorola to PPC or PPC to Intel, but it is still significant nonetheless.

I feel so ignorant. What is a Haswell chip?

Iacobellis

Next generation of Intel's CPUs. Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge (current), Haswell, so on and so forth ;)

To also add to this, Intel releases their CPUs in a Tick-Tock structure. A Tick is a die shrink along with other refinements, while the Tock is a new micro architecture. It is similar to how Apple updates their iPhone each year.

TUSR

Banned
To also add to this, Intel releases their CPUs in a Tick-Tock structure. A Tick is a die shrink along with other refinements, while the Tock is a new micro architecture. It is similar to how Apple updates their iPhone each year.

I feel this is note worthy: New architecture and a die shrinkage were introduced with the Ivy Bridge line.

tri-gate transistors.

I feel so ignorant. What is a Haswell chip?

Code names for Intel's processors.

Sandy-Ivy-Haswell-Broadwell-Skylake-Skymont

Im going to sound like a heathen but I bought a mac recently and I hate OSX. Things are just so counter intutive.

Why do I have to go from estoric button combination to rename a file?

why cant I make a window full screen without locking up the taskbar?

Why can't I highlight text and drag it around a document?

why is it so hard to have two windows side by side like windows 7 snap feature?

whats the purpose of that widget screen? its just a pain in the ass.

why do I have to put a application in the appication folder manually when I install it?

Why are the file view options so crap. Where Is my large thumbnails, small thumbnails etc? Sometimes preview isn't enough.

I will give the actual hardware its props cus it is very well enginered, but Im this close to just installing windows and done.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Im going to sound like a heathen but I bought a mac recently and I hate OSX. Things are just so counter intutive.

why do I have to put a application in the appication folder manually when I install it?

Why are the file view options so crap. Where Is my large thumbnails, small thumbnails etc? Sometimes preview isn't enough.

I will give the actual hardware its props cus it is very well enginered, but Im this close to just installing windows and done.
I believe all of those things are in there you just need more time learning the OS.

And not everyone wats Applications installed in Applications folder.

TUSR

Banned
well I have been looking, but all I see is keyboard shortcuts. I prefer doing things with the mouse. Windows provides for both.

Then why not a prompt during installation? then everyones happy.

You can rename a file with the mouse.

You can get a program that functions the same as the Windows 7 windows.

All of your problems are a simple fix. Look into them, Google is your friend.

You can 'install' anything anywhere. Why would you not put them all in the same directory?

Emitan

I'm fairly certain there is a third party app that provides the Windows 7 snap feature. My least favorite part of OS X is its window management so I can understand why you are frustrated. Unfortunately OS X relies on keyboard shortcuts more than Windows 7 so if you want some features you will have to use them.

I'm fairly certain there is a third party app that provides the Windows 7 snap feature. My least favorite part of OS X is its window management so I can understand why you are frustrated. Unfortunately OS X relies on keyboard shortcuts more than Windows 7 so if you want some features you will have to use them.

BetterTouchTool is what I use, very handy :)

Hcow

Why do I have to go from estoric button combination to rename a file? --hit enter or do a slow double click over the file

why cant I make a window full screen without locking up the taskbar? --the dock? Move your mouse to the bottom edge of the screen, then move your cursor down again to show the dock. Or just command-tab or switch spaces

Why can't I highlight text and drag it around a document? --command+shift drag

why is it so hard to have two windows side by side like windows 7 snap feature? --download BetterTouchTool or Hyperdock and utilize their windowsnap features

whats the purpose of that widget screen? its just a pain in the ass. --then don't use it. It's useless for most people

why do I have to put a application in the appication folder manually when I install it? --you can install the .app anywhere, it's just recommended to put it in the applications folder

Why are the file view options so crap. Where Is my large thumbnails, small thumbnails etc? Sometimes preview isn't enough. --command+J in finder

Seriously, you just have to spend the time to figure things out. IMO, one of the most amazing things about OS X is how powerful and consistent keyboard bindings are across applications and throughout the OS, which in conjunction with mice/trackpad gestures make for a better user experience than Windows.

1.Things are just so counter intutive.

2. Why do I have to go from estoric button combination to rename a file?

3. why cant I make a window full screen without locking up the taskbar?

4. Why can't I highlight text and drag it around a document?

5. why is it so hard to have two windows side by side like windows 7 snap feature?

6. whats the purpose of that widget screen? its just a pain in the ass.

7. why do I have to put a application in the appication folder manually when I install it?

8. Why are the file view options so crap. Where Is my large thumbnails, small thumbnails etc? Sometimes preview isn't enough.

1. Neither are intuitive, you've just put more time in learning Windows, which you learned from a blank slate. Now you have to unlearn that and learn something new. Or not. Your choice. I would ditch the Mac in a heartbeat if it acted more like Windows.

2. Just left click on an already selected file's name and wait.

3. No idea. Full-screen mode is historically (well, since 1987) very un-Mac-like both in concept and execution. Edit: Haha, I didn't know Hcow's trick.

4. The trick is learning how long to wait after selecting some text you have to select, pause, then drag. Can drag between applications, and you can drop the text block in Finder as a new file. Works well.

5. No idea. I've been overlapping my Mac windows in a haphazard ad-hoc fashion for 20 years so there are no problems here.

6. It's better if it's not on its own screen. That was a stupid decision. Better when you can drop it over another screen for reference. Luckily this is just an option in Mission Control's preferences. I use it for currency and unit conversion and world clocks.

7. As opposed to a multistep installer? There indeed some applications that are smart enough to figure out their path and move themselves to /Applications with your blessing without an installer. I put my games on a different volume, so I like manual control of where things go.

8. You can control all of that. In Finder, open a window and from the View menu select 'customize toolbar'. At the bottom, change 'Show Icon only' to 'Show Icon and Text' until you learn what everything does. Make sure your toolbar has the default 'view' buttons. Click 'Done'. In Icon view, a slider in the lower right adjusts icon size on the fly. You may also wish to look into the Finder's View Options.

Edit: beaten by Hcow, but my answers don't use any keys.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No they're not. You're just closed-minded and unwilling to take a minute to play around.

What kind did you get? Laptop or desktop? And do you have a mouse or trackpad? Apple's trackpads are phenomenal and I pretty much use mine exclusively. Haven't used a mouse in 3 years since my first MBP.

What? Can you translate this sentence for me? What's bad about pressing Enter to rename a file? It's been that way since the beginning. Windows is the one that does it differently. And mainly because Windows came from DOS where Enter was always used to execute. So it carried over to Windows. Mac OS has always used Return (Enter) for renaming and Command+Down for opening. Which works with folders, files and applications. Command+Up will go up a level in the Finder as well.

It's called Fullscreen for a reason. And the "taskbar" is still there. Place the mouse at the bottom (Or whatever side you have it on) and then drag towards the edge again to pop it up.

You can. Highlight the text, press and hold for half a second and move it where you want. It will move the cursor to show where it will go. You can also drag text, as well as images and other things between windows, drop them on the desktop to create clippings or save images from browsers and other applications. And best of all, if you use Fullscreen mode, you can move dragged data between spaces either by dragging to the edge of the screen and waiting for it to switch (About a second delay) or while still dragging just press Control+Left/Right to switch between spaces. You can also, if you're agile enough, use your thumb to hold the file as if it were on a mouse button and use your other three/four fingers to swipe between spaces as well. (If you're on a Magic Trackpad)

Do yourself a favor. Like everyone else new, you MUST download BetterTouchTool. It implements this feature (As do about half a dozen OTHER utilities) as well as so many other things.

You can disable it if you don't want it. Google for "disable dashboard".

You don't. You can put it anywhere, but it is more organized to put it there. Installing on Mac OS is different, some apps have installers, other are self contained. If you put it in Applications you get the benefit of it showing up in LaunchPad.

Play around in the Finder. Press Command+J to show options for a folder and Command+1, 2 or 3 to switch between views. Use the "Alwatys open in" options too.
But I'll admit the Finder is pretty buggy. It works well, but it has quirks. It has things over Windows' Explorer, but also lacks a few things Explorer has. If you want a replacement file manager, check out Path Finder.

Just take some time to play around. My dad had absolutely no trouble adapting to OS X as did my brother and sister. And they all came from Windows as did I. The learning curve is so small it's not even funny. It's only the people who are so set in their ways and unwilling to try different approaches that have problems. If you're going to write it off without even playing around then you probably shouldn't have switched in the first place.

Please take some time to get to know the OS before writing it off. If you still can't get used to it, sell the computer for a pretty penny and buy yourself another Windows machine. If you decide to stay, we welcome you to the family.

nel e nel

A sensibly maxed out 27" iMac is $2949 + however much you can find an extra 8+8GB of RAM for.

And yeah I'm glad I'm not the only one with a creaky rMBP. It doesn't happen often enough to bother me, I'm just glad it doesn't mean there's a problem with it.

I was under the impression that the newer Macs are NOT user upgradeable, unless you buy the high end models.

VPhys

why cant I make a window full screen without locking up the taskbar? --the dock? Move your mouse to the bottom edge of the screen, then move your cursor down again to show the dock. Or just command-tab or switch spaces

You sir, are awesome.

Emitan

Went to the Apple Store and played with the Airs. I could probably make due with the 11 inch model and use the money I would spend paying for more screen space for a better CPU.

muddream

Banned
Went to the Apple Store and played with the Airs. I could probably make due with the 11 inch model and use the money I would spend paying for more screen space for a better CPU.

The 11" isn't cheaper with the same CPU. 13" is the perfect tradeoff between portability and screen space. Buy it. Love it.

Speaking of screen space, I wish I had discovered the side dock option earlier.

Yd9X9.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
An 11" with a higher resolution (Or possibly Retina) would make me happy. Is it too much to dream about an 11" Retina Pro? (I guess so since it was hard enough to get even a 13" one) As long as an 11" Retina MacBook had a 1680x1050 option I would be happy like a clam.

Well, I hope so. I haven't played enough with one to see how small things are at default resolution.

I guess I just want as small a machine as I can get while having it be as powerful as it can be. Time will tell. Though I might kind of miss the SD slot. While I can see an 11" Retina Pro getting one, I can't see an 11" Retina Air getting one.

Deku Tree

An 11" with a higher resolution (Or possibly Retina) would make me happy. Is it too much to dream about an 11" Retina Pro? (I guess so since it was hard enough to get even a 13" one) As long as an 11" Retina MacBook had a 1680x1050 option I would be happy like a clam.

Well, I hope so. I haven't played enough with one to see how small things are at default resolution.

I guess I just want as small a machine as I can get while having it be as powerful as it can be. Time will tell. Though I might kind of miss the SD slot. While I can see an 11" Retina Pro getting one, I can't see an 11" Retina Air getting one.

My guess is that battery life would be the main obstacle. The 11" Air already has a puny 5 hour battery. I imagine if it was Retina'd then the battery life would become miniscule.

Apple always seems to want to distinguish the different models by size and power, so I would be doubtful if they would come out with a 11" MBP or rMBP.

I just wanted them to put the quad core processor in the 13" rMBP. Then I would have purchased it. But no they had to reserve the fastest processor for the 15" rMBP, so I had to go bigger than I would have picked otherwise...

Presco

Ok, I've decided on a 13" MBA, but I haven't decided on whether to buy now or post June (?) refresh. Realistically, what do you guys see being in the next air? I'm pretty sure retina is out but maybe 1080p? And how much better will the battery be with Haswell? Processing power wise, I'm totally ok with the current MBA. However, a better screen and markedly longer usage times would be enough to make me wait a few months. Will be my first jump to Apple outside of phones and tablets.

Chris R

Haswell's GPU is suposed to be very good. And it draws less than Ivy Bridge. I'd wait if you don't need a computer right at this second. I might upgrade from my '11 13" MBA if the new consoles don't scream buy me day 1.

leroidys

Hey applegaf, what are the current best estimates for when an iphone 5s/6/whatever will be coming out? I'm thinking about picking up an iphone 5 right now, but would be willing to wait a couple months if something is on the horizon.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Something weird happened today. My MacBook Pro just crashed a hour ago, and Google Chrome history got wiped out, and my clock got reset to Dec 31, 2011. I'm not sure what else that got screwed up so I will kept looking for more strange things.

Should I be concerned about it or is it normal?

hoverX

Anyone have an issue with their macbook pro (13" retina specifically) and the fan going crazy when the cpu usage goes anything above minimal?

If I'm using Parallels, Screen Share or watching a flash video the fan goes nuts and the laptop gets pretty hot.

Mobius 1

Anyone have an issue with their macbook pro (13" retina specifically) and the fan going crazy when the cpu usage goes anything above minimal?

If I'm using Parallels, Screen Share or watching a flash video the fan goes nuts and the laptop gets pretty hot.

All those tasks are somewhat intensive, so the behavior is normal. I have a 15" model, and the same happens.

Nothing to be concerned about.

Servbot24

Banned
Hey applegaf, what are the current best estimates for when an iphone 5s/6/whatever will be coming out? I'm thinking about picking up an iphone 5 right now, but would be willing to wait a couple months if something is on the horizon.
Traditionally it wouldn't be coming out til Fall but there are some rumors that Apple is moving to semiannual updates in which case 5s could be out in Spring.

Top Bottom