• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and I'm looking to upgrade the RAM from 2GB to 8GB.

I was looking at this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139083

Would that be alright or is there a better alternative? Cheaper wouldn't be bad either.

I'm computer illiterate when it comes to their inner workings so any help would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MX5YWI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have the same exact model and I upgraded with this RAM, although I think it was a bit cheaper when I bought it. At any rate it works perfectly and my MBP on lion feels as snappy as it did on snow leopard again.

kennah

My Macbook Pro Retina 15" was ordered but didn't ship during the upgrade, but I got an email from Apple that saying because of which, they were just gonna upgrade my processor and ram to the latest specs free of charge. For the first time, I don't feel ripped off.

Had that happen on my Black MacBook in 2006. Thing is still running (though much of it has since been replaced). Got really lucky and a C2D instead of just a Core Duo.

Magni

Buying a 13" Macbook Air tonight, is it worth the extra cash ($110) and hassle to get 8 GB instead of 4? I'd have to get it through Amazon instead of Apple so I lose educational pricing, and have to deal with shipping (I need it by next week and the Apple store is out of stock until the 25th).

Or should I get the Retina? Is it worth the price compared to the Air? I'm a software developer, not a graphic designer.

Right now I have:
MBA 4GB: $1250 pickup at Apple Store
MBA 8GB: $1360 plus delivery
MBPr (8GB): $1520 pickup at Apple Store

anyone that uses parallels, does it work well and is it worth the money? i would prefer it than bootcamp so i wont have to restart the mac everytime i want to switch OS'.

also, i have a windows 7 installation disk from my desktop PC, can i use that for parallels/bootcamp or would i have to buy a whole new license?

Buying a 13" Macbook Air tonight, is it worth the extra cash ($110) and hassle to get 8 GB instead of 4? I'd have to get it through Amazon instead of Apple so I lose educational pricing, and have to deal with shipping (I need it by next week and the Apple store is out of stock until the 25th).

Or should I get the Retina? Is it worth the price compared to the Air? I'm a software developer, not a graphic designer.

Right now I have:
MBA 4GB: $1250 pickup at Apple Store
MBA 8GB: $1360 plus delivery
MBPr (8GB): $1520 pickup at Apple Store

check out the refurbished MBPr on apples site. youd probably save more money and theyre good as new.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

i would also recommend 8gb. im not sure what kind of apps you will run but since you cant upgrade the memory yourself later on i would highly recommend getting 8gb to future proof it. 4gb is too little these days.

Samyy

Hey guys, one of my USB ports stopped working recently. I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM as well as doing all available updates but it still hasn't worked :/. Im guessing its completely gone for then. I dont have warranty anymore, is there anything I can do?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So, my 13" rMBP should be arriving tomorrow... but may have to wait until Tuesday as I'm not sure if anyone will be home tomorrow to sign for it (and I don't want to pre-sign and it sit on my porch). Anyway, though...

I'm shooting for an entirely wireless setup when at my desk, outside of the power cable. I want to be able to use the laptop throughout the house and away, and when I get back to my desk I can just set it down, plug in a power cable, and have everything ready to go.

I've already picked up an Apple BT keyboard and BT Magic Mouse. I bought a TwelveSouth HiRise to set it on. I've bought a magnetic cord holder to set the power cable on when I'm away. The two other items I want are wireless storage and wireless audio. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a white/aluminum aesthetic with everything, so I'd like to stick with that. I'm looking at the Lacie Cloudbox for storage. It seems easy to set up, looks nice, and will have plenty of room for my iTunes music as well as quickly sharing files between my new laptop on my desktop PC. Anyone have any thoughts?

And then for audio... I'm at a loss. I'd love something small/simple like the Jambox; but I've heard mixed reviews.

Baconbitz

Banned
So, some things (mostly itunes) have been seeming a little sluggish. I was thinking of upgrading the ram. I remember seeing a post either here or the mac noob thread. Can someone direct me to that link?
Edit: If I'm gonna upgrade my ram what company should I use?

Sure you got them in the right directory? You can't get to ~/Library through Finder. It's a hidden folder inside of your /Users/[Name] folder. You have to use terminal. Do not mistake it for /Library (no ~) which can be found in Finder.

Terminal
cd ~/Library
open .

Go from there.

Are you referring to have a folder called /aacs in preferences and KEYDB.cfg in that folder? I have that all set up, and I have the other file libaacs.dylib in a folder in the home directory called /lib, as well as in the VLC package contents.

The error is "Your AACS decoding library does not work. Missing keys?"

muddream

Banned
anyone that uses parallels, does it work well and is it worth the money? i would prefer it than bootcamp so i wont have to restart the mac everytime i want to switch OS'.

You could just try out Parallels and see it you like it. If it wasn't for videogames, I'd choose Parallels over Bootcamp anytime due to convenience. However, it did run sluggish on my '09 MBP, so I'd only recommend it for Macs with at least 8 gigs of ram.

Whogie

The error is "Your AACS decoding library does not work. Missing keys?"

Still sounds like your KEYDB.cfg is in the wrong Library.
Double check your Get Info file path to see if it matches up with mine:
lY4RG0l.png

My new Macbook air can´t reconnect to the prefered wifi connection.

Everytime it enters sleep mode and I restart it I have to choose my connection again.

Any idea on how I can fix this?

RBH

May not be the right thread to ask this and this is probably a stupid question, but I wanted to link Messages on my MBA to my phone number so I could receive iMessages on both my iPhone and MBA, but I was wondering once I do this, if there is an easy option to disable Messages on my MBA in certain situations like if I needed to study or do some work and didn't want to be distracted by messages popping up on my MBA.

May not be the right thread to ask this and this is probably a stupid question, but I wanted to link Messages on my MBA to my phone number so I could receive iMessages on both my iPhone and MBA, but I was wondering once I do this, if there is an easy option to disable Messages on my MBA in certain situations like if I needed to study or do some work and didn't want to be distracted by messages popping up on my MBA.

you can always go to preferences in iMessage on your MBA and just uncheck the phone number

Majine

Banned
I think Apple keeps its word more often than not, but the Facetime "HD" Camera is a load of bullcrap. The camera on my 2012 MBA looks like the 3DS camera.

Ambitious

I was looking for some kind of mini HTPC/media player recently, but so far wasn't able to find one suiting my needs. Now I'm thinking about buying a Mac mini.

I'm aware it's kinda overkill for a simple XBMC/Plex station - and pretty expensive too - but with a MM, I wouldn't be restricted by anything - for example, codec support like with the Raspberry Pi or software support like with CuBox. I'd like to watch stuff directly on my TV, stream stuff to my iDevices and have remote access from anywhere, which is no problem with a MM at all.
In combination with my USB HDD, I could also use it and/or the HDD as a file server/NAS/Time Machine backup drive, which I intend to do.

Any opinions on that? Good idea or not?

The alternative I have in mind is the Acer Aspire Revo RL70.

Blackhead

Redarse
MX1100. I've been using the huge Logitech contour shaped mice for years because they're comfortable and have a hidden thumb button, which I assign to expose.

The Magic Trackpad is too imprecise when using Lightroom and Photoshop. And I found it cramped my wrist a lot too.

What gestures do you use with the MM?

Yeah I find the Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse to be very unergonomic. I'd been using the Bullettrain Express Keyboard Platform for months but it doesn't quite replicate the feel of a MacBook. I bought the new Logitech Trackpad, which is noticeably flatter than Apple's Trackpad, but it uses the same bottom bump buttons as the MT and besides it doesn't work with BTT.

Here are my MM gestures with BTT:

iFsBSKYZooUIX.png

The Two Finger Swipes Gestures are mapped via the keyboard shortcuts to the three finger gestures Apple reserved for the MT:

i4m8VICTtYP2p.png

I'm addicted to those gestures in Sparrow and the Twitter app (also works in the Reeder app). In Firefox, Safari and Chrome I mapped those gestures to back/forward and Next tab/previous tab.

The Two Finger Double-Tap Gesture is mapped via the keyboard shortcut to Menu Everywhere.

Appleman

Hmm, I had convinced myself that the retina MBA wouldn't be coming with the Haswell revision but it seems like it might be after all.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/02/19/report-apple-to-launch-11-and-13-inch-retina-macbook-air-in-q3/

Not sure how I'll decide between the 13' rMBA and 13' rMBP if this actually happens. Maybe they'll go with 1080p in the air instead of full retina?

I wonder what this means for the 13" rMBP. It would be a pretty tough sell considering how similar the two machines will be

Chris R

I wonder what this means for the 13" rMBP. It would be a pretty tough sell considering how similar the two machines will be

Why not just drop the pro and air monikers if everything is going to be retina, as thin as possible, and without a physical media drive and dedicated GPU?

ckohler

I'm really enjoying my 2012 Mac mini. However, I did run into one baffling design flaw. It's not grounded! It only comes with a 2 prong power cable.

What this means is that when you plug a USB headset into it, you get ground loop noise from the microphone. Touch your finger to the case of the mini and it stops. This has basically made it so that I have to use a wireless headset to prevent ground loop hum on my microphone. :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want to believe in a 13" Retina Air, so I do. But I also want to believe in a 13" MB of some sort that also has discrete graphics. Which I don't. Haswell will need to have extremely fast graphics for me to stick with the 13" size again. Though I still don't really like the 15" size. 13" is such a sweet spot. Would be nice if they kept the 13" RPro around with discrete and made the 13" RAir the new low end retina.

Talon

I'm really enjoying my 2012 Mac mini. However, I did run into one baffling design flaw. It's not grounded! It only comes with a 2 prong power cable.

What this means is that when you plug a USB headset into it, you get ground loop noise from the microphone. Touch your finger to the case of the mini and it stops. This has basically made it so that I have to use a wireless headset to prevent ground loop hum on my microphone. :p
What a random ass oversight...

muddream

Banned
I want to believe in a 13" Retina Air, so I do. But I also want to believe in a 13" MB of some sort that also has discrete graphics. Which I don't. Haswell will need to have extremely fast graphics for me to stick with the 13" size again.

That's why everyone's excited about Haswell. We'll never see a 13" Mac with discrete graphics, rather a 15" one without.

I'm still not buying those rumors, 11" retina makes me question that article. The thing already gets the worst battery life with a quarter of the pixels.

Chris R

That's why everyone's excited about Haswell. We'll never see a 13" Mac with discrete graphics, rather a 15" one without.

I'm still not buying those rumors, 11" retina makes me question that article. The thing already gets the worst battery life with a quarter of the pixels.

Exactly why I don't want a rMBA 13" even with Haswell.

Help please

Can someone recommend an Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 alternative?

At least something that is cheaper and does the same thing... I am in a rush but don't want to spend $70 maybe something under $50

Use:

I would like to take digital photo of my drawing or painting edit in software so I have at least a 300dpi image that is sharp in a very large size. This has to be printed on 60" x 40" canvas. So it maybe a grainy image of my art that I digitally edit so the grainy mess is gone. Maybe just using filters or brushes found in PS.

any software that has a good filter that can turn a photo into a watercolor, pastels, brush

muddream

Banned
Help please

Can someone recommend an Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 alternative?

At least something that is cheaper and does the same thing... I am in a rush but don't want to spend $70 maybe something under $50

Use:

I would like to take digital photo of my drawing or painting edit in software so I have at least a 300dpi image that is sharp in a very large size. This has to be printed on 60" x 40" canvas. So it maybe a grainy image of my art that I digitally edit so the grainy mess is gone. Maybe just using filters or brushes found in PS.

any software that has a good filter that can turn a photo into a watercolor, pastels, brush

Try Pixelmator, suits my needs.

I would like to take digital photo of my drawing or painting edit in software so I have at least a 300dpi image that is sharp in a very large size. This has to be printed on 60" x 40" canvas. So it maybe a grainy image of my art that I digitally edit so the grainy mess is gone.

You are going to be disappointed. Try to find artists who do pencils on paper and ink/colour digitally to see what their work flow is. For starters you need a scanner instead of a camera. You need better software than Photoshop to do the enlargement you want (though you may find you don't need 300ppi for a print that large).

Figure I might as well give some MiniDrive impressions for anyone looking to this as a cheap storage upgrade. (tl;dr: it's slow but basically delivers as promised.)

Packaging: Uh...well clearly the money wasn't spent here. It's easy to open but it just tears to hell, don't expect the packaging to survive unless you use an exacto-knife.

The other problem is that they used some kind of super-adhesive to attach the product to the cardboard. Like, it's so strong I wouldn't be surprised if you damaged the casing of the MiniDrive by just pulling it out. If you twist long enough it eventually comes out just fine though.

Some folks also claim they have problems with their SD card being writeable, and thus Nifty suggested applying some scotch tape. I had no such problem so I guess that was just wonky SD card shells causing tolerance issues.

Use: Easy as imagined. Pop a microSD card in (I used a 64GB card that seemed to be aimed at the Galaxy S3 crowd), pop it in your MacBook, and then leave it there forever. The silver one looks like it's just part of the Macbook, with no jutting out from the case.

Apparently leaving an SD card in your macbook prevents it from going from normal sleep (you closed the lid) to full sleep (AKA hibernate on a PC). There is a piece of software ($2) on the Mac App store called "Jettison" that fixes this by automatically mounting/unmounting attached drives when the lid is opened or closed. This is perfect for MiniDrive users but I'm not entirely sure what happens if you, say, close the lid while playing music off the drive or something. Will have to see...

Keep in mind that the eject button is still there in finder. Not sure if there is a way to disable that, or remount without rebooting.

Performance: Uh...yeah, if it wasn't clear enough before, this is basically a media storage solution. Drop your bigass files on here that you don't use a lot or don't need in 0.1 seconds. Music plays just fine, but with a half second pause before starting.

Sustained transfer speed is basically USB2. I copied 7 gigs of files in a bit under 10 minutes, and that was going from USB3 stick (over USB2) to the miniDrive. A video started playing on VLC with the same lagtime as music and no stutter problems at 720p.

The sucky thing is read performance. Not exactly new for anyone who uses SD cards a lot, but trying to do a batch MP3 tag edit took about 5 minutes apply. I definitely wouldn't be running Unity project folders out of there, and if you're looking to batch copy a ton of music that hasn't been pre-edited for iTunes you may want to consider doing those edits on a PC first.

Got my 13" MBA in the mail this past wednesday. Absolutely love it. I got the 8GB, i5, 256GB SDD variant. Took a few days for the battery life to settle in. It was running about ~4 hours when I first got it, but now it's up to a solid 6+ hours off the battery, reports 7.5 hours when you unplug it. Been really pleased with it so far, athough there is definitely a problem outputting from the Thunderbolt/Mini-display port to HDMI to an external monitor. The color profiles are totally F-ed up. It's a common problem across the internet and Apple is apparently releasing an update to 10.8.3 that is going to fix it... We'll see if it does. I bought a thunderbolt/mdp to HDMI cable that is useless plus one of those upright docks that is useless until then. For what it's worth, the problem does not happen with MDP -> VGA.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Figure I might as well give some MiniDrive impressions for anyone looking to this as a cheap storage upgrade. (tl;dr: it's slow but basically delivers as promised.)

Packaging: Uh...well clearly the money wasn't spent here. It's easy to open but it just tears to hell, don't expect the packaging to survive unless you use an exacto-knife.

The other problem is that they used some kind of super-adhesive to attach the product to the cardboard. Like, it's so strong I wouldn't be surprised if you damaged the casing of the MiniDrive by just pulling it out. If you twist long enough it eventually comes out just fine though.

Some folks also claim they have problems with their SD card being writeable, and thus Nifty suggested applying some scotch tape. I had no such problem so I guess that was just wonky SD card shells causing tolerance issues.

Use: Easy as imagined. Pop a microSD card in (I used a 64GB card that seemed to be aimed at the Galaxy S3 crowd), pop it in your MacBook, and then leave it there forever. The silver one looks like it's just part of the Macbook, with no jutting out from the case.

Apparently leaving an SD card in your macbook prevents it from going from normal sleep (you closed the lid) to full sleep (AKA hibernate on a PC). There is a piece of software ($2) on the Mac App store called "Jettison" that fixes this by automatically mounting/unmounting attached drives when the lid is opened or closed. This is perfect for MiniDrive users but I'm not entirely sure what happens if you, say, close the lid while playing music off the drive or something. Will have to see...

Keep in mind that the eject button is still there in finder. Not sure if there is a way to disable that, or remount without rebooting.

Performance: Uh...yeah, if it wasn't clear enough before, this is basically a media storage solution. Drop your bigass files on here that you don't use a lot or don't need in 0.1 seconds. Music plays just fine, but with a half second pause before starting.

Sustained transfer speed is basically USB2. I copied 7 gigs of files in a bit under 10 minutes, and that was going from USB3 stick (over USB2) to the miniDrive. A video started playing on VLC with the same lagtime as music and no stutter problems at 720p.

The sucky thing is read performance. Not exactly new for anyone who uses SD cards a lot, but trying to do a batch MP3 tag edit took about 5 minutes apply. I definitely wouldn't be running Unity project folders out of there, and if you're looking to batch copy a ton of music that hasn't been pre-edited for iTunes you may want to consider doing those edits on a PC first.
Cool thanks for the impressions. I funded mostly because I thought it was a cool concept and like to support independent designers. Honestly not sure what I will use mine for lol.

Top Bottom