• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

RBH

macbook_pro_retina_13_1499.jpg

Apple today announced that it has updated its Retina MacBook Pro lineup with new processors, also moving to lower pricing across the board on the 13-inch models.

"The 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display now starts at $1,499 for 128GB of flash, and $1,699 for a new 2.6 GHz processor and 256GB of flash. The 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display now features a faster 2.4 GHz quad-core processor, and the top-of-the-line 15-inch notebook comes with a new 2.7 GHz quad-core processor and 16GB of memory."

The high-end 15-inch stock configuration now has the twice the amount of RAM that it had previously and the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro prices are $200 and $300 cheaper than their predecessor models, respectively.

In addition to the Retina MacBook Pro updates, Apple has also lowered the price of the 256 GB 13-inch MacBook Air by $100, now starting at $1399.

Update: Apple has also eliminated the high-end stock configuration of the non-Retina 15-inch MacBook Pro, leaving only the base model starting at $1799. Customers can still configure the low-end model with all available options, meaning that the previous high-end configuration is still available, but it is no longer being promoted separately as a stock machine.
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/13...ricing-drops-pricing-on-high-end-macbook-air/

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the other thread.

kaskade

Might not be the best place to ask but worth a try. I have run out of options. For some reason my Airport Extreme is not working properly. When I plug my MBP directly into the modem with ethernet I get consistant speeds speeds. ~20 ms ping, 18 mb down and 2 mb up. As soon as I use my AE my ping is 500 ms and download is less than 1 mb and the upload is almost nonexistent. I feel like I've tried everything. Unplugged phones, changed the wireless channel. Physically moved the router. I feel like I should just go in and ask for a new one. The thing was amazing since I got it maybe 8 months ago.

Just did a test moving it and the up/down speeds are normal but the ping is still wayyyy too high.

LCfiner

Hey guys, do you think the updates to the 15'' MacBook Pro are the yearly updates? Or will there be another one in Sept-ish? I want to buy but not if there are going to be more updates.

you mean today's update being the yearly update? I doubt it

this was a mini spec bump killing time till Intel Haswell chips are ready. I think the schedule for those chips from Intel is late summer? Check the intel roadmap for quad core mobile haswell chips. expect a bigger MBP update then.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
ARG...

Why is the baseline 13" rMBP not dropping in price correctly on the refurb site? It's currently only 4% off :-/

Assuming it drops to the standard 15% off and hits $1275, I'll buy it. I'm just hoping I don't miss it!

I've been back and forth on what Macbook to get. I know, ultimately, I want the 15" rMBP. But I don't want to drop $2200 on it because I think it will see a refresh rather soon, I'd like some first-gen kinks to get ironed out, and I think the price will drop.

But if I get the 13" now for $1275, I can probably re-sell it for more than a grand when the new 15" comes out. Basically, I'm content spending $200 or so to "rent" the laptop until I see what Apple does with its big brother.

mr2xxx

Banned
My sister has a 13" Aluminum Macbook the one with the GeForce 9400. Her hard drive is dying so I'm going to replace it a SSD drive and upgrade the ram to 4gb. I plan to get a friends old OS disk and just install clean to the drive. Any potential issues with that?

Appleman

ARG...

Why is the baseline 13" rMBP not dropping in price correctly on the refurb site? It's currently only 4% off :-/

Assuming it drops to the standard 15% off and hits $1275, I'll buy it. I'm just hoping I don't miss it!

I've been back and forth on what Macbook to get. I know, ultimately, I want the 15" rMBP. But I don't want to drop $2200 on it because I think it will see a refresh rather soon, I'd like some first-gen kinks to get ironed out, and I think the price will drop.

But if I get the 13" now for $1275, I can probably re-sell it for more than a grand when the new 15" comes out. Basically, I'm content spending $200 or so to "rent" the laptop until I see what Apple does with its big brother.

I think I'm about to do this exact same thing

coldfoot

Banned
My sister has a 13" Aluminum Macbook the one with the GeForce 9400. Her hard drive is dying so I'm going to replace it a SSD drive and upgrade the ram to 4gb. I plan to get a friends old OS disk and just install clean to the drive. Any potential issues with that?
Install 10.8 while you're at it, other than that, no.

Draper

ARG...

Great. Now I'm considering doing this.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Please don't take them out from under me when the price changes :(

xJavonta

Banned
I really need a laptop and I've been eyeing macs for the longest time. I just can't decide if I want a 13" MBA or spend whatever I have left and get a 13" rMBP.

I'm only using it for web browsing, iMessage, possibly syncing my iDevices when I'm not at my desktop, and I want to install Windows on it if possible so I can use Visual Studio.

Doesn't the 13" MBA have a higher resolution really? I mean even though the 13" rMBP has a retina display, you're still only using like 1280x800 right? Opposed to the MBA's 1440x900?

Doesn't the 13" MBA have a higher resolution really? I mean even though the 13" rMBP has a retina display, you're still only using like 1280x800 right? Opposed to the MBA's 1440x900?

Default is 1280 x 800, pixel density is effectively 4x that though so it looks significantly better. Additionally, the 13" rMBP offers two scaled resolutions: 1440 x 900 and 1680 x 1050.

I'm usually in 1440 x 900 scaled res. Great for media work and document creation.

1680 x 1050 is perfect when I need the real estate for photos/videos. Text is kinda small at that size so it CAN be an eye strain after extended periods of time.

Everything (text, UI elements, etc) is rendered at 4x it's normal size. Lots of behind the scenes filtering and scaling algorithms at work in order to minimize any degradation (if at all).

So this is bizarre...

I have a 256GB SSD in my Macbook Pro. Yesterday, I had about 120GB's of free space. Today, my wife is working on some photo editing and the computer goes bonkers and I take over and it says there is no disk space left. WTF?

So I look and sure enough, it's at 1.3MB.

I delete a few things and get it up to about 15GB's and I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on.

I downloaded THREE hard drive programs to get a picture of what's going on...

For starters:
aboutthismac.png

So you can see I've gotten it up to 26GB now, and the drive is in fact 256GB.

But when I loaded up these programs...

disk1.png

disk2.png

disk3.png

It shows that only about 100GB's of space are actually taken up...there is nothing saying I have more than 100GB-ish used up.

What is going on!?!?

EDIT:

I found this thread on MacRumors...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1329717

Seems like the guy is having the same problem, he runs verify disk in Disk Utility and it tells him to reboot in repair mode and it fixes it...I tried verifying and it worked fine...

So it's not the exact same issue.

EDIT x2:

I tried rebooting into repair mode, and it didn't do anything.

Well this is infuriating.

It's maybe time machine backups. I had a similar issue a few weeks ago.

http://wiki.summercode.com/how_to_disable_mobile_backups_on_lion

muddream

Banned
Yes, in a few years.

This price drop is cool, but I'll wait for Haswell. Apple really wants college freshmen to stop buying the regular MBPs, good luck with that. The Air has been the better alternative for years now, some people just insist on putting an optical drive in their laptop and a cheaper rMBP won't change their minds.

Skel1ingt0n

ARG...

Woo!

Woke up this morning to check it out - and yay - the base rMBP is listed at $1,269.

I was gonna buy it, regardless; but decided to try fro the 0% financing offer. Was instantly approved on the Barclaycard and have 12 months to pay it (but I'll probably pay it off by March/April. Anyway, though, $1350/shipped to have it shipped to my door by next week. Pretty darn good considering it was $1700+ tax just a few days ago new.

man, 4gb of ram isnt anything these days. after adding 16gb to my MBP, its a completely different experience. runs so much faster and smoother and despite running tons of apps and 20+ tabs in safari, multiple desktops, you name it, i havent noticed any hiccups or stuttering at all. for once illustrator isnt behaving like a bloated mess!

i really hope 8gb becomes standard this year and on for all macbooks across the board. i was going to get an SSD this week but im pretty content and ill hold off on it for a while.

Skel1ingt0n

man, 4gb of ram isnt anything these days. after adding 16gb to my MBP, its a completely different experience. runs so much faster and smoother and despite running tons of apps and 20+ tabs in safari, multiple desktops, you name it, i havent noticed any hiccups or stuttering at all. for once illustrator isnt behaving like a bloated mess!

i really hope 8gb becomes standard this year and on for all macbooks across the board. i was going to get an SSD this week but im pretty content and ill hold off on it for a while.

Yeah, it's amazing how underestimated RAM is. Too often you hear things like "4GB is plenty" and "you'll never need more than 6/8GB before buying a new computer." Personally, I think that's all bogus. RAM is cheap enough that everyone should load up their computer to 8GB minimum. It's such a better experience when multitasking and running programs like Lightroom or Photoshop.

That said - I promise you - the SSD will be an even bigger improvement. Please, trust me: You should get an SSD asap - it's the biggest improvement computers can see nowadays in a single upgrade (outside of maybe the video card).

Yeah, it's amazing how underestimated RAM is. Too often you hear things like "4GB is plenty" and "you'll never need more than 6/8GB before buying a new computer." Personally, I think that's all bogus. RAM is cheap enough that everyone should load up their computer to 8GB minimum. It's such a better experience when multitasking and running programs like Lightroom or Photoshop.

That said - I promise you - the SSD will be an even bigger improvement. Please, trust me: You should get an SSD asap - it's the biggest improvement computers can see nowadays in a single upgrade (outside of maybe the video card).

id like to wait and see if i can get a good 256 gig for $150 or so. i definitely know it will help but the RAM increase has made waiting much easier. things just glide now.

i am drooling while imagining 15 second start up times however.

Jake.

had my MBA for a week now and love it - i know its probably been asked a million times before, but is it 'better' to put it to sleep when not in use or shut it down? i come from a windows/pc background so am used to shutting both my desktop and laptop down every night.

Borman

1680 x 1050 is what I run my RMBP 13 at. My biggest complaint about the 13 MBP was the resolution, so that took care of it. I dont have as many problems with the subpar graphics as I thought I would have, so even though I paid the premium a few months back(minus the EDU discount), I have zero complaints. I had an 11 inch MBA previously, and this still falls in the sweet spot for sizes for me, 15 was way too big.

On a side note, Ive hacked my Mac Pro 1,1 to run Mountain Lion, along with adding an SSD as the boot drive. Adding an SSD, 12GB of RAM, and upgrading from 4 cores to 8 has really extended the life of the machine once again (who would have thought I would be content with a machine from 2006?). Adding Mountain Lion to the mix lets me upgrade graphics cards even further, 660TI coming in the near future. While the machine may not be as fast as the newer MPs, it's still a tank.

So I hope somebody can inform me, I have a MacBook Pro from 2009, over the years I've seen the battery life become shorter and shorter as you would expect, but since today when I look at my battery status, it says that I need to replace it. Since the battery is built in in this one, I would need to send it away and have Apple replace it for me, but do they still do that for models this 'old'? And if they do, how much would that set me back? It's still in a perfect condition besides the battery, so I don't wanna buy a new one.

Hope somebody had a similar experience or some info to help me out.

Appleman

My friend at the Apple Store called me yesterday because he knew I was eyeing these and that the "old" rMBPs from last week were on crazy employee discounts to clear them out of the store. Snagged the last midrange (256GB) one for $1199 and picking it up today! So excited!

LCfiner

So I hope somebody can inform me, I have a MacBook Pro from 2009, over the years I've seen the battery life become shorter and shorter as you would expect, but since today when I look at my battery status, it says that I need to replace it. Since the battery is built in in this one, I would need to send it away and have Apple replace it for me, but do they still do that for models this 'old'? And if they do, how much would that set me back? It's still in a perfect condition besides the battery, so I don't wanna buy a new one.

Hope somebody had a similar experience or some info to help me out.

Apple's website will have more details on this if you search for battery replacement. I think they charge somewhere between 60 and 100 bucks? basically the cost of the battery and a small service charge.

If there's no apple store near you that can do it, there might be an authorized apple service location that might be better than shipping it out.

your best bet here to find out is to call or email Apple to find out what options are available where you live.

My friend at the Apple Store called me yesterday because he knew I was eyeing these and that the "old" rMBPs from last week were on crazy employee discounts to clear them out of the store. Snagged the last midrange (256GB) one for $1199 and picking it up today! So excited!

15? 13?

Good deal either way!

fireside

Apple's website will have more details on this if you search for battery replacement. I think they charge somewhere between 60 and 100 bucks? basically the cost of the battery and a small service charge.

If there's no apple store near you that can do it, there might be an authorized apple service location that might be better than shipping it out.

your best bet here to find out is to call or email Apple to find out what options are available where you live.

Apparently it costs $129 for Apple to replace the battery in the non-Retina MacBook Pros.

If you can't find anyone to do it locally, you could always buy a battery and do it yourself. Even though the battery isn't technically user replaceable, it isn't glued down or anything, and is quite easy to replace yourself. And you're probably out of warranty at this point, so no fears of voiding that.

Chris R

$129 isn't that bad I guess. A quick glance at ebay showed prices for the battery alone in the $75-80 range (and buying laptop batteries on ebay is kinda a crapshoot in my previous experiences), and then you have to get the screwdrivers too.

Because I'm probably going to need to replace my MBA battery before the end of the year, the thing drains so damn fast now :(

Zaphod

had my MBA for a week now and love it - i know its probably been asked a million times before, but is it 'better' to put it to sleep when not in use or shut it down? i come from a windows/pc background so am used to shutting both my desktop and laptop down every night.

I've had my air for over a year and I think I've shut it down twice. It's sleep capabilities are awesome compared to windows.

hoverX

So apparently Bootcamp doesn't work with 3TB drives.... I wish i knew this before dropping $3K on a new iMac.

Such a badass video card but so few games to play with it...

wihio

So apparently Bootcamp doesn't work with 3TB drives.... I wish i knew this before dropping $3K on a new iMac.

Such a badass video card but so few games to play with it...

http://www.cultofmac.com/208030/how-to-run-boot-camp-on-3tb-macs/

crazy that you can drop 3k on an imac these days... I remember when they were "budget" :p

enjoy!

better link, more info: http://www.twocanoes.com/support/winclone/installing-windows-via-boot-camp-on-a-large-%282.2-tb-or-larger-%29-drive-in-lion-%2810.7%29-and-later

jts

...hate me...
Got my 2nd mini! This time for the company. I just nabbed a used one, didn't want to spend much.

Got a mid-2007 although it looks mint. Too bad I can't install Mountain Lion, only Lion. Core 2 Duo, GMA950 :(, 2GB of RAM, 120GB HDD. It's enough for a small company management, but I plan to upgrade to an ML compatible machine in the next 6-8 months (or lets see the 10.9 requirements). For now I'll just make the transition from our old Windows machine.

The guy threw in a 2TB Iomega hard drive in the same shape as the mini, and stackable. It's nice and I'll throw in that to my home setup, but it still kind of ruins the simplicity of the machine.

XhHD6OZl.jpg

A rare moment with both of them together while I setup the new one via screen sharing.

<3 minis. Too bad they have been getting much more expensive and upmarket.

so I just got myself a Macbook air, need to find out how to switch between browser windows quickly, at the moment I am using 3 fingers to swipe up to get to a menu that shows all windows and pick one from there. BUT I find it still to slow, I need to be able to switch between windows faster than that, any tips on how to do that?

Jake.

I've had my air for over a year and I think I've shut it down twice. It's sleep capabilities are awesome compared to windows.

thanks! guess i won't bother shutting down as much.

is there a mac equivalent to windows' alt+tab? what about ctrl+alt+del? everything else i think i've figured out via playing around.

Blackhead

Redarse
Still can't do a secondary click with both fingers rested, so I still prefer regular mice.

With mmfixed I don't feel a need to rest two fingers on the mouse. Which regular mice do you use? I have a few but with no support from BetterTouchTool I always en up back with the Apple ones.

I got myself a Time capsule as well.

I want to use it as an externa HDD as well as Backing up my macbook air with time machine.

is there anything I need to think about when adding files to it?

giga

With mmfixed I don't feel a need to rest two fingers on the mouse. Which regular mice do you use? I have a few but with no support from BetterTouchTool I always en up back with the Apple ones.
MX1100. I've been using the huge Logitech contour shaped mice for years because they're comfortable and have a hidden thumb button, which I assign to expose.

The Magic Trackpad is too imprecise when using Lightroom and Photoshop. And I found it cramped my wrist a lot too.

What gestures do you use with the MM?

My Macbook Pro Retina 15" was ordered but didn't ship during the upgrade, but I got an email from Apple that saying because of which, they were just gonna upgrade my processor and ram to the latest specs free of charge. For the first time, I don't feel ripped off.

so I just got myself a Macbook air, need to find out how to switch between browser windows quickly, at the moment I am using 3 fingers to swipe up to get to a menu that shows all windows and pick one from there. BUT I find it still to slow, I need to be able to switch between windows faster than that, any tips on how to do that?

CMD + ~ will also do the job if you are talking about having multiple windows open in the same browser

Top Bottom