• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

entremet

Got the 27 inch Thunderbolt. It's glorious. It's pricey, but I haven't upgraded my monitor in ages and the addition of power cable is really nice.

I was gonna get one the cheaper Korean ones, but I needed it to match my MBP lol. It's a sickness.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
I'm gonna post this again. I'm upgrading the ram on my imac 25 inch 2011 model. Which brand should I go w/ when upgrading my ram?

The fastest ram out there at the moment is the kingston hyper X. it has the lowest voltage and lowest latency. I bought 32gb for my late 27" Imac.

Kingston Technology HyperX Plug n Play 16 GB Kit (2x8 GB) 1600MHz DDR3 PC3-12800 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM 1.35V Notebook Memory KHX16LS9P1K2/16

davidnic

Hey, I need help deciding weather to buy a mac or not, I am thinking of buying a Mac Book Pro 13-inch: 2.5GHz. But I don't really another computer, but I never owned a Mac before so I think it will be a learning experience for myself.

What are the features\ Pros of buying a MacBook? I am just trying justify spending the money.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Got the 27 inch Thunderbolt. It's glorious. It's pricey, but I haven't upgraded my monitor in ages and the addition of power cable is really nice.

I was gonna get one the cheaper Korean ones, but I needed it to match my MBP lol. It's a sickness.

I was in the same situation, but with a MBA. I decided to go with the Korean monitor route. I don't regret it for a second.

giga

I'll jump on the Korean monitor train once they implement HDMI or DP inputs at a good price. I already can't stand current janky HDMI/DVI adapters, so I can't imagine using the expensive mini DP to dual link DVI adapter.

Deku Tree

I opted for the Dell U2713hm. I use the displayport cable, and I love my USB 3.0 hub on the dell. Yes the TB display has a better looking case, it has speakers, and it has TB. But I use external speakers with a sub anyway.

So Apple being slow to update the USB hub from 2.0 to 3.0 and the premium pricing cost them my $1K. Instead I gave Dell $650 plus tax and shipping.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm waiting and saving up (well, I'm trying to) for that Panasonic retina monitor that's supposed to come out in March. Will any Mac even have the specs to drive that thing?

Sidenote: I wish monitors included a remote controller. I hate having to walk over to reach behind the case and press the power button (or the Apple displays which don't even have a power button).

Iacobellis

I'm waiting and saving up (well, I'm trying to) for that Panasonic retina monitor that's supposed to come out in March. Will any Mac even have the specs to drive that thing?

Sidenote: I wish monitors included a remote controller. I hate having to walk over to reach behind the case and press the power button (or the Apple displays which don't even have a power button).

What monitor do you speak of?

Can anyone tell me what the graphics comparison between a new MacBook Air and a 2010 MacBook 15 pro would be? I'm building a new PC so I don't really need all the power of the MacBook Pro. But if I'm out traveling I'd like to have a little power editing photos and some video.

I've had my 27" iMac for a couple of days now and I love it. The last Apple computer I had was a Tiger era MacBook which broke down a year and a half ago. I've been making do with an iPad and a cheap HP Win8 laptop. It really is nice to be on OSX again.

I have some possibly stupid questions though.

If I were to buy some Mac native games, would a wired 360 pad work as is? and,

Can I transfer Win8 from the laptop to the Mac, or can I just re-download it from Microsoft, as I registered it when I first set up the lappy or will I need to buy a fresh copy?

kennah

Cool thanks for the impressions. I funded mostly because I thought it was a cool concept and like to support independent designers. Honestly not sure what I will use mine for lol.
What version? I'm interested, didn't jump on the kickstarter. Pm me

VPhys

Going on about eight months of my retina MacBook Pro. With windows I used to to a format/reinstall every 6 months to a year. Is this necessary on a MAC? Things still feel pretty snappy.

Deku Tree

Going on about eight months of my retina MacBook Pro. With windows I used to to a format/reinstall every 6 months to a year. Is this necessary on a MAC? Things still feel pretty snappy.

Absolutely not. I have owned Macs since forever and I never format or reinstall. Welcome.

entremet

I opted for the Dell U2713hm. I use the displayport cable, and I love my USB 3.0 hub on the dell. Yes the TB display has a better looking case, it has speakers, and it has TB. But I use external speakers with a sub anyway.

So Apple being slow to update the USB hub from 2.0 to 3.0 and the premium pricing cost them my $1K. Instead I gave Dell $650 plus tax and shipping.

Yeah. I figured I could always sell it when Apple announces it's next monitor. Apple monitors seem to hold up well in the reseller market and have no idea why lol.

Even their older matte monitors are still hundreds of dollar used on eBay. Crazy!

Deku Tree

Yeah. I figured I could always sell it when Apple announces it's next monitor. Apple monitors seem to hold up well in the reseller market and have no idea why lol.

Even their older matte monitors are still hundreds of dollar used on eBay. Crazy!

I just literally gave away an old 23" DVI Apple Cinema Display. I tried to donate it to charity, but the person taking the donations didn't want it... then I threw it away at my job because they follow good tech recycling protocols... but I found out yesterday that the IT guy at my job "repurposed it" on his desk rather than throwing it away. LoL that guy has three 23" monitors on his desk.

Didn't realize it was worth something on eBay... Woops!

buhdeh

Wow, I finally found out you can change the scroll speed in the freakin' accessibility settings. Finally the trackpad is less frustrating to use now.

Any long-time users of the magic trackpad? Is it fatiguing to use compared to a mouse?

Blackhead

Redarse
Wow, I finally found out you can change the scroll speed in the freakin' accessibility settings. Finally the trackpad is less frustrating to use now.

Any long-time users of the magic trackpad? Is it fatiguing to use compared to a mouse?

Unfortunately yes, the magic trackpad requires a lot of uncomfortable wrist movement (doubly so if you use multifinger gestures often). With a mouse most of the motion is in the arm and the fingers.

I've been meaning to try one of those trackballs. Anybody have one?

Deku Tree

I have been using the magic trackpad for years now. I love it. In contrast to the above user, I have never felt "uncomfortable" using it. I use lots of gestures, and I try to use it to its fullest potential. I usually rest my wrist on the table and just use my fingers (except when necessary I temporarily lift my wrist). Not uncomfortable at all for me.

hiro4

I've been using the trackpad almost exclusively since I got my MBP 6 years ago. The only times I used my mouse was during gaming or 3D work.

When I bought my iMac I got the trackpad with it and again I do most things with the trackpad and even gaming depending on the game. I find it much more easier and comfortable to use compared to a mouse.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've used my trackpad exclusively since I got my first buttonless Pro in 2010. Mainly because it feels so fluid and natural and I haven't been arsed to find my MX1000 I put in a box 4 years ago.

3N16MA

Banned
Love the multi-touch trackpad when they were first introduced on the MB. Considered getting the magic trackpad for my Mac mini but can't see a reason to replace my MX Revolution.

Mindwipe

Ordered a 27 inch iMac.

I'm installing Windows on an external Thunderbolt SSD - presumably any gaming would be better running from there, rather than in OSX from the Fusion Drive?

LCfiner

Ordered a 27 inch iMac.

I'm installing Windows on an external Thunderbolt SSD - presumably any gaming would be better running from there, rather than in OSX from the Fusion Drive?

you might want to check the limitations of bootcamp with some searching of apple's knowledge database. I think it only works with the internal drive (the process of making the bootable partition).

Ordered a 27 inch iMac.

you might want to check the limitations of bootcamp with some searching of apple's knowledge database. I think it only works with the internal drive (the process of making the bootable partition).

Last I knew, this was the case. Unless things have changed since I got my rMBP last June.

hiro4

Ordered a 27 inch iMac.

Last I knew, this was the case. Unless things have changed since I got my rMBP last June.

There are work around for all the limitations even the 3TB hard drive. Also you won't be able to install windows on the ssd when it is still part of the fusion drive.

Some people on macrumors have succeeded in installing W7 on an external ssd by copying the entire internal bootcamp partition to the external hard drive basically.

I haven't tried it yet since I have still have to buy an external ssd and I have forgotten the thread. But a quick google should find you some threads.

i love the trackpad on the MBP but the standalone one isnt as good or comfortable to use. i guess having it built into the hardware makes it feel more sturdy. i like to anchor my thumb on the little slit where you open the lid as that makes it feel so much more comfortable but i cant seem to use the standalone trackpad for long periods of times when i have to work on an external display.

similarly, i love the MBP keyboard but the wireless one feels kinda loose and not as enjoyable to type on.

dark_chris

How much would I get with a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro with i7 processor, Nvidia 330 GT, 8GB Ram, Antiglare screen, and 750GB hybrid SSD? 1700 or 1900?

Draper

Was about to bite the bullet on a refurbished retina macbook 13" but it looks like they're out of stock. :/ I suppose they restock rather quickly?

mr stroke

Caved in and bought a 13 Macbook Retina. Coming from a 2012 Macbook Air the screen is fucking insane :eek:

I probably should have waited for Haswell, but after seeing the retina at Best Buy I couldn't wait.

ugh, dropped my new macbook 13". No breaks except for a dented ethernet port at the top aluminum and the bottom back screen rounded edges now scraping on the lower frame.

Did you follow the tonymac guide? I'm waiting for Haswell to do one. My Air just isn't fast enough for my LR/PS work.

Yeah pretty much followed a few builds. My budget was around 1400 and it ended up a little bit under $900! I already had a monitor, keyboard, etc.

i5 3570K - 189$
Samsung SSD 120GB - 78$
Crucial 16GB RAM - 79$
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - $124
Fractal R4 Case - $87.19
Corsair 650 Watt Powersupply - $85
GTX 670 - $250

----
Do you guys know how I can find out what the "Other" space is on my Hard drive? I just deleted my bin so I know it's not that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
A 2011 Air is not bad. Especially with 256GB SSD. But the RAM is the only thing that would stop me. But even then it's not that bad. I had this same machine, except with 128GB SSD. But I was paging out all the time. 4GB is pretty cramped, but as long as you're not going to be doing super intensive things all the time you'd be fine.

The inclusion of AppleCare that will last another 1.5 years is a nice extra too.

Price wise I'd probably not go higher than $900 though. After that you're close enough to a brand new 2012 model and only a few months from a 2013 model. I expect it'll get higher than that price pretty fast though. Do you have a maximum price you'd pay? $900 is where I'd stop.

The only problem is USB3. I thought USB3 wasn't put in until the 2012 model. Don't buy on that promise alone. I'm pretty sure it's USB2. My 2011 model, which I got in November 2011, was only USB2.

----
Do you guys know how I can find out what the "Other" space is on my Hard drive? I just deleted my bin so I know it's not that.
Other refers to anything that's not Audio, Video, Image and Applications. All documents and other files including anything not indexed by Spotlight.

Tekniqs

i'll take your advice and stop at $900. I really don't know how much I should be paying for each respective generation. I'll mostly be using it to do internet (my job's paperwork is all through the net), watching movies/videos, music, and a bit of video/photo editing. Will a macbook air suffice or should I spring for the macbook pro?

there's someone I know selling an early 2011 macbook pro, with about 150 bat cycles, great condition, upgraded to 8gb ram and 256SSD for $1k...should I stop looking and just buy that? lol

Top Bottom