• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Quick

Banned
Yup, it is. There are guides all over the place. Dual booting with Windows can be more tricky but is entirely doable and there are plenty of guides for that too.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-os-x-mountain-lion-hackintosh-on-a-pc-tutorial/

If you check to see which PC hardware is most compatible with a hackintosh setup you're less likely to run into problems.

I was looking into getting a mac so I could code iPhone/iPad apps, but decided set up a hackintosh instead to save money. I was able to install xcode and have since made a game I put up on the app store. Works pretty much like a real mac.

Thanks a lot for this. Could come in handy in the future.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Calendar's not that bad. Overreact much? Besides, with Forstall gone it'll probably be fixed by 10.9 anyway. (Leather will probably be replaced with a plain old grey gradient toolbar like every other app.) I hope they don't "fix" Notes though. That app makes sense and I can't imagine it looking any less like a Notepad without it looking like Notepad...

iboe9P3BYjxjjB.png

SKEUMORPHISM!!!!!!!!! IT WAS THERE EVEN BACK IN THE '80s AND '90s!

(Amazing that this app disappeared with OS 9 and took a decade to make a spiritual comeback. Fuck Stickies. It's all about Notepad!)

Contacts though, yeah, you can bring back the old non-realistic look anytime now. Thanks.

Fucking Christ...

My 2011 Macbook Pro is pissing me off lately. Freezes CONSTANTLY...I think it might just be Safari because it seems like it happens the most when I use it. My wife uses Chrome (I'm using Chrome right now) and never has any issue.

Does use Chrome on the same Mac or a different one? If the same does she use a different user account? If so, you try a new account and see if things get better.

gokieks

You just need a copy of Windows 7 (preferably ultimate)

Ultimate is completely pointless for personal/home use, and even Professional is unnecessary in most cases (but it's the version that many people can get for cheap/free through things like MSDNAA). If actually buying through normal channels, there's very little reason to pay more than for Home Premium.

And for Hackintosh guides/info/questions, by far the best place to go is tonymacx86.

TUSR

Banned
Think we will see a new Thunderbolt Display in Q1 or Q2?

I'm not sure if we will see it till summer because of all the delays to the iMac and it would use the same screen tech and design

I was looking at apple.com and 21" iMac is 2-3 weeks shipping and 27" is 3-4 weeks! Feel lucky I got it as early as I did

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm not sure if we will see it till summer because of all the delays to the iMac and it would use the same screen tech and design

I was looking at apple.com and 21" iMac is 2-3 weeks shipping and 27" is 3-4 weeks! Feel lucky I got it as early as I did

That works for ma as I wont have the funds until then anyhow.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Heck yeah it will. Though BootCamp only works with Windows 7 for now with no idea when official Windows 8 drivers will come along. Though for some people (Like me) that's all fine and dandy. But the convenience of being able to use the OS you love, but still have access to all your games without requiring a secondary computer, as well as the awesomeness of Steam and its cross-platform, cross-machine abilities is pure heaven. Add in Parallels for the ability to also boot up that Windows while still in OS X and it's perfection.

ohhh finally getting around to playing the longest journey in steam in w7 in a window in os x sounds sexy as fuck

CFMOORE!

Yup, it is. There are guides all over the place. Dual booting with Windows can be more tricky but is entirely doable and there are plenty of guides for that too.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-os-x-mountain-lion-hackintosh-on-a-pc-tutorial/

If you check to see which PC hardware is most compatible with a hackintosh setup you're less likely to run into problems.

I was looking into getting a mac so I could code iPhone/iPad apps, but decided set up a hackintosh instead to save money. I was able to install xcode and have since made a game I put up on the app store. Works pretty much like a real mac.

i am confused by that tutorial. it can't really be that easy now? it makes no mention of a specific system, just, install the OS to this drive and connect the drive to a PC and bam, you have OSX. is there more info to this one?

i am confused by that tutorial. it can't really be that easy now? it makes no mention of a specific system, just, install the OS to this drive and connect the drive to a PC and bam, you have OSX. is there more info to this one?

http://www.tonymacx86.com/325-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-january-2013.html
for best results, make sure to get a gigabyte x77 chipset motherboard.

and i like this install guide better ...http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Depends what you do, but every part of my brain is saying no its not worth it.

lol fair enough. im using it for heavy photoshop/illustrator work. its usually okay with 4gb but whenever i hook up the external display, its noticeably choppier.

ill get these on monday unless i can find something better, thanks! although i am totally up for suggestions.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
ohhh finally getting around to playing the longest journey in steam in w7 in a window in os x sounds sexy as fuck
Parallels is pretty fast when dealing with games in a virtual machine, but it's not the fastest. Which is why it's nice to have a Bootcamp partition with Windows and all your Steam games, and a Parallels VM attached to it so you can still play those games without rebooting if you need to.

For me, performance is pretty good even on a 2012 MacBook Air.

fireside

So I finally broke down and bought a new 27” iMac. It's definitely an upgrade from my 5⅔ years old first generation MacBook, but the display has the yellow tint issue where the bottom third or so starting from the middle is more yellow than the rest of the screen. It was one of the first things I noticed upon using the computer. This seems to be a pretty common issue and I'm wondering if it's worth sending back to Apple for a replacement, because I’ve read that screens of this size aren’t going to be perfectly uniform in color or brightness. Am I wrong?

As a result of no one responding to my cries for help, I went ahead and tried to fix things on my own. That involved me booting into the recovery partition, formatting the drive, screwing everything up, messing around with logical group volumes, physical volumes, screwing everything up even more, making it so my mac wouldn't even start up, becoming a master at using diskutil in the terminal, and, finally deleting that free space issue, rebuilding all of the logical volumes, i hope, rebooting the mac, freaking out that it wouldn't work, and now, watching internet recovery spin and spin with 10 minutes left until... something happens. If this doesn't work, it is off to the Apple store tomorrow.

Only issue now is that since I messed with the LGV, GUID, and more, I wonder if the Fusion drive stuff will still work.

Mobius 1

So I finally broke down and bought a new 27” iMac. It's definitely an upgrade from my 5⅔ years old first generation MacBook, but the display has the yellow tint issue where the bottom third or so starting from the middle is more yellow than the rest of the screen. It was one of the first things I noticed upon using the computer. This seems to be a pretty common issue and I'm wondering if it's worth sending back to Apple for a replacement, because I’ve read that screens of this size aren’t going to be perfectly uniform in color or brightness. Am I wrong?

No. The screens aren't perfectly uniform. This one I'm using now has a lot of backlight bleed on the corners. Only visible against pure black, and I'm fine with that because replacing it could mean getting a worse screen with dead pixels.

Just don't go to Macrumors' forums. They will make you feel like your device should have been delivered from the heavens by cherubs under the sound of golden trumpets.

So the rumours so far suggest this years MBA update will be specs only, most likely to Haswell processors.
Worth waiting 5-6 months for or should I just take the plunge now?

K Guys:

New MBP's coming out in June right? Been thinking of buying a 15" retina, but if there's one dropping in June, I'm going to wait. What's the latest?

Aggrotek

Hey guys I have an iMac, I think it's gen 4. Anyways, it's one of the models where the video card is actually part of the motherboard. The video card is failing and I want to get it replaced. Is this cheaper to do than to buy another used iMac?

Also, is it hard to do?

muddream

Banned
So the rumours so far suggest this years MBA update will be specs only, most likely to Haswell processors.
Worth waiting 5-6 months for or should I just take the plunge now?

Only you can answer how much you really need one. I wouldn't base my purchases on Apple rumors, but I will say that it's the easiest Mac to recommend in general.

oatmeal

Banned
So this is bizarre...

I have a 256GB SSD in my Macbook Pro. Yesterday, I had about 120GB's of free space. Today, my wife is working on some photo editing and the computer goes bonkers and I take over and it says there is no disk space left. WTF?

So I look and sure enough, it's at 1.3MB.

I delete a few things and get it up to about 15GB's and I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on.

I downloaded THREE hard drive programs to get a picture of what's going on...

For starters:
aboutthismac.png

So you can see I've gotten it up to 26GB now, and the drive is in fact 256GB.

But when I loaded up these programs...

disk1.png

disk2.png

disk3.png

It shows that only about 100GB's of space are actually taken up...there is nothing saying I have more than 100GB-ish used up.

What is going on!?!?

EDIT:

I found this thread on MacRumors...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1329717

Seems like the guy is having the same problem, he runs verify disk in Disk Utility and it tells him to reboot in repair mode and it fixes it...I tried verifying and it worked fine...

So it's not the exact same issue.

EDIT x2:

I tried rebooting into repair mode, and it didn't do anything.

Well this is infuriating.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have a dent in the corner of my 2012 MBA.

YHdxoAl.jpg

OXttTGDl.jpg

Does anyone know what is inside the case within an inch or so of the edge? If I use a pair of needle-nose pliers to try to straighten the dent, will I be putting pressure on anything that could crack or break?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Check the ifixit repair guides. Will show you pictures of what is in there.

No dice, they never actually disassemble a screen assembly.

The guide for a Display Assembly stops at this step:
KGeHkQc.jpg

-- so it only tells you how to detach it from the base, not what's actually inside the screen assembly.

hey stump, how did you make your menu bar disappear?

that's a login screen.

Chris R

Does $100 sound like a good price for a 2009 mini? Gazelle says they would give me $124 for it but do they alter the price after receiving it? Guaranteed $100 would be better than maybe $124 and maybe $80.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Oatmeal, I like using Daisy Disk to figure out what's going on with my hard drive.

kennah

Does $100 sound like a good price for a 2009 mini? Gazelle says they would give me $124 for it but do they alter the price after receiving it? Guaranteed $100 would be better than maybe $124 and maybe $80.
You should be able to get more than that if you sold it yourself. Put it in the gaf buy sell trade thread. If I hadn't just upgraded I'd instantly give you $125 for it :p

oatmeal

Banned
disk5.png

disk6.png

It's all in DocumentRevisions, which Google tells me is AutoSave.

But it's a new thing it happened yesterday...I haven't had an issue with it before....

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, just delete that folder. Daisy Disk to the rescue, again. Great program. Very easy to use and drill down what's causing space issues.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Are issues with the Thunderbolt display common? I've changed my mind to a Mini + TBD for my desktop but I've read of some issues.

Ragus

Banned
Shit, I think something bad is happening to my Macbook. Here is the story:

I have an old 2009 white unibody macbook. For the last 3 years it was working fine, but battery was getting worse and worse, and now I can squeeze something like 2-2,5 hours from it. Nothing impressive, but I really didn't mind it.

However, few days ago I had a problem with charging. I couldn't charge the battery, and macbook took power directly from ac adaptor. A day later, the charger was dead. I bought a new one and it worked fine for 3 days. Today, when I was chargin my macbook, there was a really loud rattle sound coming from the ac adaptor, and what was even stranger, when my macbook was connected to the charger, the cursor started to act strangely. It didn't react properly to my finger movement (as if something was spilled on it). It was jumping all over the desktop.

When I unplugged the charger, everything went back to normal. I did some research, and I found out, that this may be caused by a swollen battery.

At this point I'm not even sure, if it's worth for me to repair it. I guess I'll charge it while it's shut off for a couple more monts, and later I'll upgrade.

Or maybe having a swollen battery is dangerous even when I'm not charging it when it's on?

coldfoot

Banned
Shit, I think something bad is happening to my Macbook. Here is the story:

I have an old 2009 white unibody macbook. For the last 3 years it was working fine, but battery was getting worse and worse, and now I can squeeze something like 2-2,5 hours from it. Nothing impressive, but I really didn't mind it.

However, few days ago I had a problem with charging. I couldn't charge the battery, and macbook took power directly from ac adaptor. A day later, the charger was dead. I bought a new one and it worked fine for 3 days. Today, when I was chargin my macbook, there was a really loud rattle sound coming from the ac adaptor, and what was even stranger, when my macbook was connected to the charger, the cursor started to act strangely. It didn't react properly to my finger movement (as if something was spilled on it). It was jumping all over the desktop.

When I unplugged the charger, everything went back to normal. I did some research, and I found out, that this may be caused by a swollen battery.

At this point I'm not even sure, if it's worth for me to repair it. I guess I'll charge it while it's shut off for a couple more monts, and later I'll upgrade.

Or maybe having a swollen battery is dangerous even when I'm not charging it when it's on?

Is it hard or even impossible to click on the trackpad now? If yes, you have a swollen battery and can get a new one from amazon for 60-70 bucks and replace it yourself in 5 minutes.

Hey guys, do you think the updates to the 15'' MacBook Pro are the yearly updates? Or will there be another one in Sept-ish? I want to buy but not if there are going to be more updates.

Top Bottom