• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Tekniqs

narrowed it down to two macbook pros, both 13"

one is late 2011 with 120gb ssd and 500gb HDD, 8gb of ram, in great shape for $950 shipped
one is mid 2012 with 750gb 7200rpm, 8gb ram, apple care, Photoshop CS6, Aperture 3, Microsoft Office 2011 and Final Cut Pro 10 for $1186 shipped.

brosephs, which should i get?

kennah

one is late 2011 with 120gb ssd and 500gb HDD, 8gb of ram, in great shape for $950 shipped
one is mid 2012 with 750gb 7200rpm, 8gb ram, apple care, Photoshop CS6, Aperture 3, Microsoft Office 2011 and Final Cut Pro 10 for $1186 shipped.

2012 all the way. There is no point to buying a 2011. USB3.0 and HD4000 make for a much better experience for a longer time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member

2012. As stated the USB 3 and integrated vid are big upgrades over the 2011. You can do your own SSD mod if you want (highly recommended btw). Tell them you don't want FCPro though. It will be linked to the apple ID they bought it on and you will not be able to update it.

Actually if this is CL and not ebay I would recommend telling you don't want any of the software and to knock 100-150 off the price. Unless you can think of a way to verify that they are not pirated before purchase.
They are pirated ;p

hirokazu

How do Hackintoshes go these days in terms of using vanilla OS X installers and Software Updates? It's been on my mind because the increasingly user-unserviceable Macs Apple release doesn't sit well with me.

I'm just hesitant because I don't want to have to deal with hacking together a modified installer and doing the same for subsequent updates.

kennah

It is pretty straight forward to install but updates will always break it.

Though I haven't done it personally been researching as I'm going to do one with my leftover parts when I upgrade in a couple months.

giga

How do Hackintoshes go these days in terms of using vanilla OS X installers and Software Updates? It's been on my mind because the increasingly user-unserviceable Macs Apple release doesn't sit well with me.

I'm just hesitant because I don't want to have to deal with hacking together a modified installer and doing the same for subsequent updates.
http://lifehacker.com/5841604/the-always-up+to+date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh

Custom installer, but it's pretty easy to use. Combo updates can be installed as normal, but require drivers to be reinstalled each time.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wouldn't want a Hackintosh. So much upkeep it seems. I buy a Mac for the simplicity and design. Putting OS X on a PC seems to defeat the purpose of OS X once you get into "reinstall drivers" territory.

But to each his own.

kennah

I wouldn't want a Hackintosh. So much upkeep it seems. I buy a Mac for the simplicity and design. Putting OS X on a PC seems to defeat the purpose of OS X once you get into "reinstall drivers" territory.

But to each his own.

I'm only doing it because I'll have the leftovaer parts (I'll be maybe $100 out of pocket for the last two pieces I'd need).

Really really want a new MacBook, mine is quite near death.

Artemisia

Banned
So I noticed that apple changed the magsafe connectors back to that box shape.

I thought they changed that design to the L shaped ones because the box shaped ones had a tendency of fraying. Why would they go back?

Iacobellis

I thought they changed that design to the L shaped ones because the box shaped ones had a tendency of fraying. Why would they go back?

Did they change it for the original MagSafe, or just MagSafe 2?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I just noticed I have a "Service Battery" warning after I've only owned a Macbook for about 6 months. Probably not good...

I have AppleCare... will they take care of this?

Guess Who

Banned

Good question, because my MagSafe 2 is starting to fray!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Good question, because my MagSafe 2 is starting to fray!
They all fray. All of them. Every one. Actually, the only one of mine that frayed was the L shaped one. My old 2007 T shape is still fine. But like all my cables, they're all bunching up at the end.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just noticed I have a "Service Battery" warning after I've only owned a Macbook for about 6 months. Probably not good...

Of course!

I just built a hackintosh. The ease of use definitely goes out of the window but if you love the OS as much as you need the pure performance then it's your best bet.

I do video editing and such and the difference from my old maxed out 2010 MacBook Pro is staggering. I would look into getting a retina but I didn't think it was worth 3 times the price for less performance.

Then again I still have an iPhone, iPad Mini and an old MacBook Pro to keep me in the loop.

Deku Tree

Yes after only six months even without AppleCare.

EDIT: LoL. My iPad autocorrected to make the A and the C uppercase.

Not sure what to do...

I have a Mac Pro 1.1 (upgraded to 2x3.00GHZ Quad Cores, 16GB RAM, Radeon 5770) and it's great but I'd like to upgrade soon.

Part of me wants to buy the iMac 27" (3.4 i7, GTX 680M 2GB, 1TB Fusion), but for that same price (quite a bit less actually), I can build a pretty beefy Hackintosh.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

Try it in an Apple Store. Get a sense of how snappy it is. And decide with yourself if you think its thin design and low butt profile is something you find aesthetically pleasing. You might find that the design is tired, or you might find it very compelling.

Iacobellis

They all fray. All of them. Every one. Actually, the only one of mine that frayed was the L shaped one. My old 2007 T shape is still fine. But like all my cables, they're all bunching up at the end.

The only Apple cables I've had bunch up on me were 30-pin and Lightning cables. It sucks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The only Apple cables I've had bunch up on me were 30-pin and Lightning cables. It sucks.
Ugh yeah. But only the newer ones since 2006. They used to use rubber cable Enders to prevent this but decided to drop them in order to make their cables look nicer. Form over function. It sucks. I've had to electrical tape a few so far.

Another weird thing is that they turn pink at the end before fraying.

Iacobellis

Ugh yeah. But only the newer ones since 2006. They used to use rubber cable Enders to prevent this but decided to drop them in order to make their cables look nicer. Form over function. It sucks. I've had to electrical tape a few so far.

Another weird thing is that they turn pink at the end before fraying.

They turn pink? Damn, I never heard of that!

GMM

Banned
Looking to buy an iMac 27' with the following configuration:

Intel i7 3770k
32GB 1600 MHz ram (self upgraded)
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

I have some questions before i go ahead and buy it. I have two 1080p DVI monitors from Samsung, how do i connect these to the iMac?

I am looking to buy this RaidSonic Icy Box IB-4320STu3 USB 3.0 Enclosure to connect my two old 1tb HDD's:
ib_rd4320stu3a.jpg

What kind of enclosure can i use to connect SSD's at good speeds?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
And I finally replaced my aging 2007 24" iMac! Woo:

8525305819_c864b8c0b0_c.jpg

13" Retina MBP - base specs. From Apple's refurb store, I spent a hair over $1300, and got $525 for my old computer on CL. This is definitely a nice step up, and it better complements my gaming desktop. I definitely still want to upgrade again when the eventual 15" rMBP refresh comes. But for the time being, I'm very happy.

Iacobellis

And I finally replaced my aging 2007 24" iMac! Woo:

8525305819_c864b8c0b0_c.jpg

13" Retina MBP - base specs. From Apple's refurb store, I spent a hair over $1300, and got $525 for my old computer on CL. This is definitely a nice step up, and it better complements my gaming desktop. I definitely still want to upgrade again when the eventual 15" rMBP refresh comes. But for the time being, I'm very happy.

What stand is that?

giga

They turn pink? Damn, I never heard of that!
I've had 4-5 different Macbooks since 2006 and have never had fraying or any of the stuff I hear. I baby my stuff though and rarely take my power cord with me.

Looking to buy an iMac 27' with the following configuration:

Intel i7 3770k
32GB 1600 MHz ram (self upgraded)
3TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

I have some questions before i go ahead and buy it. I have two 1080p DVI monitors from Samsung, how do i connect these to the iMac?

I am looking to buy this RaidSonic Icy Box IB-4320STu3 USB 3.0 Enclosure to connect my two old 1tb HDD's:
ib_rd4320stu3a.jpg

What kind of enclosure can i use to connect SSD's at good speeds?
Get two of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2

A thunderbolt enclosure would give you the best speeds for SSDs, but USB 3 will work too.

When the new haswell MacBook pros come out, are they likely to discontinue the classic pros?
And if so, would that mean the retina models would be priced the way the classics are now?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When the new haswell MacBook pros come out, are they likely to discontinue the classic pros?
And if so, would that mean the retina models would be priced the way the classics are now?
I don't think they'll discontinue the normal Pro's until the Retina models have been able to reach the same price range. Once Retina can be sold at the same price or close enough, then I'd say Pro will go away. But probably not before then.

Still have a few hundred to shed before that happens. When will it happen? That depends on the speed of the new technologies the Retina machines use. Flash is still expensive as is the HiDPI display technology they're using. Those are the two main hurdles. Flash really needs to drop faster. It's taking forever.

Ovid

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Air with Lion preinstalled. Since the App Store no longer has Lion available for download, how do I go about getting it again?

Deku Tree

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Air with Lion preinstalled. Since the App Store no longer has Lion available for download, how do I go about getting it again?

I purchased Lion from the App Store. Add it is still available to re-download in my "purchases" tab of the app store. You could check your purchases tab, although it may not be there since you got it preinstalled. Or you could call Apple, or AppleCare. Your computer should still be under warranty so AppleCare will talk to you.

Ovid

I purchased Lion from the App Store. Add it is still available to re-download in my "purchases" tab of the app store. You could check your purchases tab, although it may not be there since you got it preinstalled. Or you could call Apple, or AppleCare. Your computer should still be under warranty so AppleCare will talk to you.
It's not in my purchases tab. I wonder why they removed it from the App Store? There's no harm in keeping it available for download. Whatever, I'll give them a call.

Thanks Deku.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It's not in my purchases tab. I wonder why they removed it from the App Store? There's no harm in keeping it available for download. Whatever, I'll give them a call.

Thanks Deku.
Did you try showing hidden purchases? Worth a shot.

Store>View my Account

Also try holding down the option key while clicking the purchases tab.

Both of these may still not work if the computer cam with it installed however :/

Ovid

Did you try showing hidden purchases? Worth a shot.

Store>View my Account

Also try holding down the option key while clicking the purchases tab.

Both of these may still not work if the computer cam with it installed however :/
Nope. The only hidden purchase is Mountain Lion.

Blackhead

Redarse
The early 2013 retina MBP 15” have faulty firmware/hardware, and here’s proof
If you have an early 2013 retina MBP with the sandisk “APPLE SSD SD512E Media” SSD (apple -> about this mac -> more info -> system report -> storage -> Media Name) you are affected by the “whooshing cough”: download and play the following song in iTunes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rexu9m8xrq4xvo7/Daybreak.m4a

The fans should start whirring as if there’s no tomorrow with no discernable change in temperature (which you can check using iStat or Temperature Monitor).  

Youtube video showing effect: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly0Sp7lMKJU

As reported here (https://discussions.apple.com/message/21422172#21422172), many people are affected.

Based on the nature of the effect, it seems like there’s an SMC issue and an update is needed.  But that won’t come until many people step forward and point out to apple that this is a real flaw in the model.

silly mountain lion question. how do i view my files in finder with the icon of its file format?

pretty much, i want all .psd files to have that blue photoshop icon and all .ai files to have the orange illustrator icon, etc. like it is on windows, instead of a preview image of the file. i tried messing with view > show view options but i couldnt get it the way i wanted.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
silly mountain lion question. how do i view my files in finder with the icon of its file format?

pretty much, i want all .psd files to have that blue photoshop icon and all .ai files to have the orange illustrator icon, etc. like it is on windows, instead of a preview image of the file. i tried messing with view > show view options but i couldnt get it the way i wanted.
Turning off the preview in that folder doesn't work?

Tekniqs

well, took your guys' advice and sprung for the 2012 macbook pro. Was able to get one for $975 shipped, pretty much new and upgraded to 8gb ram.
500gb 5400rpm is sorta a bummer but I'll slap in an ssd if I ever feel like a need to

kennah

well, took your guys' advice and sprung for the 2012 macbook pro. Was able to get one for $975 shipped, pretty much new and upgraded to 8gb ram.
500gb 5400rpm is sorta a bummer but I'll slap in an ssd if I ever feel like a need to

Good plan. Swapping it to an SSD is totally easy, especially if you have a Time Machine backup. It would give you everything back where it's supposed to be.

fireside

You'll need to go into the Photoshop or Illustrator preferences and turn off Image Previews. Then once you do that if you turn off Show icon preview in the Finder you'll get the plain .psd or .ai icon.

At least that's what I just had to do for Photoshop CS3.

Edit: I should add that only files saved after you change the preference will show up with just the plain .psd or .ai icon.

Ephemeris

I was working on a case like that a few weeks ago.

If you're looking to reinstall it on the Mac you downloaded, then recovery's the way to go.

If you're trying to install it on another computer, it's not going to show up there. Your iLife apps would though.

I really need apple to update the airs soon

my patience is waning.

I don't see them coming out anytime earlier than the end of June.

Top Bottom