• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Ugh, yeah. Too bad the Mac version didn't just come out at the same time so we'd have the answer.

But the question remains, are there games on Origin that work on both OS X and Windows, and can anyone who has Origin confirm that they only had to purchase one of them to play it on both? If so, I'd be more confident a cross-platform license will probably happen for SimCity. Surely someone here has both Windows and OS X and an Origin account and has tested this.

Some. I hope all. Because despite all the PR nightmare stuff coming from this launch, I still want this game. My friend got it and has had no problems so far and loves the shit out of the game. I want to join him!

I feel ya. It would be stupid if their not all cross platform. They have to match steam.

gokieks

Putting a windows 7 iso on a usb and trying to boot through bootcamp is unnecessary difficult.

I installed it through vmare fusion. But I'm guessing that means I can't start it up through bootcamp alone?

It's actually quite simple - the only real issue is that you need access to a Windows machine to create the USB installer, but it's pretty unlikely that anyone who would need to do this wouldn't have such access.

Also it looks like MS doesn't offer the W7 iso as a DL anymore. Lame.

They're still being distributed via Digital River, as they've always been.

hiro4

It's actually quite simple - the only real issue is that you need access to a Windows machine to create the USB installer, but it's pretty unlikely that anyone who would need to do this wouldn't have such access.

I created a windows7 USB installer through the bootcamp installer. Probably new since Lion but it was very easy.

Question: Does Origin let you purchase a game once and play it on either OS X or Windows? Like Steam? Or is EA being EA and making you have to buy each version separately? Because if it's the latter, then EA are assholes. I also want to buy the game but don't know how it will run on either OS X (My Intel Integrated HD 4000) when it comes out, or my Mac under Parallels or in BootCamp eventually on Windows. If it is like Steam, I can just buy once and not have to worry which version I decide to play.

There have been conflicting answers from different sources when it comes to SimCity on Macs. One post from EA has said that you only need to buy once to play on both Windows and OS X, and another post from EA support said that you need to pay again if you want the Mac version. They also have said that there will be info on the Mac version in early April so it's probably going to be awhile until anyone knows for sure. If I can dig up the links to said posts, I will post them here.

Macka

I almost bought a 13" Macbook Pro Retina today. I've never owned a Mac computer before, but I think now is finally the time. I figured I should sleep on it though, and also do a bit of research beforehand. I'm still super excited, so I'm planning on picking one up tomorrow.

That said, I do have a few questions! Any help is appreciated.

1. What is the Intel HD4000 like for gaming? Could I run Minecraft?
2. How are the Pro's for heat dissipation? Do they stay reasonably cool?
3. Remote Drive. Since this model doesn't have a disc drive (and I'm not planning on purchasing the superdrive straight away), how well does this feature work? If I want to burn a movie to a disc from Handbrake, can I use the drive of any computer on the same network, or only another Mac?
4. I know Mac doesn't recognise NFTS formatted hard drives, but does Windows recognise Mac formatted hard drives?
5. I'm not going to buy this and have it drop in price two days later, right?

theytookourjobz

After waffling around for a couple weeks, I finally decided to bite on a MacBook. Ended up going with a 2012 Air (4GB RAM and 128GB SSD) for $899 through Apple's refurb eBay store. Comtemplated spending much more on a MBP or rMBP but the price was right and it's mostly for web and word processing. The extra $$ I saved will go toward a new graphics card for my PC and a PS4. If the Air can run a few non-intensive indie games that's enough for me. It'll be here Thursday! Can't wait!

Kawaii

I'm having two problems with my Macbook Pro late 2011 model which i bought almost a year ago.

First is screen tearing when switching between desktops by swiping left or right with three fingers, even when there aren't alot programs running. Could this be a sign that my GPU is fried or something?

Second, which is the bigger issue, it's really getting terribly slow at moments, sometimes it takes minutes between opening my laptop and having the screen react to mouse movement or keyboard strokes to type in my password.

Photoshop might sometimes take up to three minutes to boot. Small programs like GitHub or Spotify sometimes also take up to a minute to start. The experience feels sluggish and slow overall.

I'm running OSX Lion 10.7.5 and i have no idea what the issue is.

I have a kinda full HDD (25GB free of the 500GB), can this be an issue? Might a full clean installation of OSX (Maybe Mountain Lion?) help? I might be in the first year of my warranty now so i could go back to the store i bought it, but I use my laptop intensively for working so i really don't want to not have it for a couple of days/weeks.

How come macrumors.com lists MBPr as a good time to buy?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

I know they just got a minor spec bump, but I could've sworn that there was a big summer refresh expected. Is that no longer the case, or are they saying it's ok to buy despite that? Sorry, I'm new to Mac hardware... and really on the fence about jumping in. So tempting, though.

Also, I could use some advice about which upgrades are worth getting (storage, CPU, etc.) and which ones can be installed afterward, if any.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How come macrumors.com lists MBPr as a good time to buy?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

I know they just got a minor spec bump, but I could've sworn that there was a big summer refresh expected. Is that no longer the case, or are they saying it's ok to buy despite that? Sorry, I'm new to Mac hardware... and really on the fence about jumping in. So tempting, though.

Also, I could use some advice about which upgrades are worth getting (storage, CPU, etc.) and which ones can be installed afterward, if any.
Buyers Guide is automatic based on the average time between updates. The Retina Pro is an oddity because the 15" came out in June, and the 13" came out in October but the October update wasn't an "update" but MRBG counts it as one because it was a release. Then the new speed bump made another notch in the guide. So it's all messed up. It's not based on rumors of updates. It's simply based on update cycles. The Guide doesn't know the last update was a slight bump. Just that it was an update.

For instance, the Mac Pro's have been 274 days since the last update which was nothing. Before that though it was 685 days, almost two years, since the last actual update to the hardware. That long time between updates is skewing the average which used to be in the 250 range but is not in the 400+ range because of its update schedule.

It slid off the edge of my bed and fell about 2 foot. This happened. Anyway to fix it?

Gc6Nabr.jpg

AgZlGys.jpg

I am really enjoying my mac book pro retina, it's my first mac and it's just the perfect laptop with power and portability with great battery life.

The only issue I have with it is with the sleep function.. I usually have two external hdds plugged into it. If I leave for an hour or so and come back the mac is unresponsive and never comes out of sleep. I have to restart using the power button. Other times when it does respond it shows the default grey mac background and not my default login screen? why is this?

Also sometimes on boot it will stay at the grey screen before the apple logo for ages, I reckon it's searching my externals for a boot-able partition but it takes more than 5 minutes..

Deku Tree

I am really enjoying my mac book pro retina, it's my first mac and it's just the perfect laptop with power and portability with great battery life.

The only issue I have with it is with the sleep function.. I usually have two external hdds plugged into it. If I leave for an hour or so and come back the mac is unresponsive and never comes out of sleep. I have to restart using the power button. Other times when it does respond it shows the default grey mac background and not my default login screen? why is this?

Also sometimes on boot it will stay at the grey screen before the apple logo for ages, I reckon it's searching my externals for a boot-able partition but it takes more than 5 minutes..

Call AppleCare. You should still be under warranty I suppose. The behavior you describe is strange. My rMBP does not do any of those things.

My previous gen iPod Nano has died. Again. Originally bought in Oct '11 it was replaced under the 1 year warranty by Apple because the sleep/wake button became completely unresponsive and thus the Nano was utterly inoperable. Precisely the same has happened to Apple's replacement unit. Now they say that their bs Applecare has run out and I'll have to pay them to get help. Fuck that. Anyone know what the precise EU law is that says that a consumer product has to last a reasonable amount of time so I can quote that in their face? Less than 18 months is not a reasonable amount of time.

Oh and I can't just pop in to my local Apple shop because that's over an hour's trek away and I've wasted enough time over this already.

[/RANT]

Does anyone know the ideal layout of RAM on the new 27" iMacs?

I just got my two new sticks of 8GB ram to go along with the included 8GB.

When I opened the RAM door it was laid out as:

Empty
4GB
Empty
4GB.

I know I want the 8GB matched with the 8GB. So how are the slots matched?

Should I install my two new sticks in the empty slots:

8GB
4GB
8GB
4GB

or move the top 4GB down so I have:

8GB
8GB
4GB
4GB

?

Does anyone know the ideal layout of RAM on the new 27" iMacs?

I just got my two new sticks of 8GB ram to go along with the included 8GB.

When I opened the RAM door it was laid out as:

Empty
4GB
Empty
4GB.

I know I want the 8GB matched with the 8GB.

Should I install my two new sticks in the empty slots:

8GB
4GB
8GB
4GB

or move the top 4GB down so I have:

8GB
8GB
4GB
4GB

?

I wouldn't recommend mixing different brands of RAM, I currently have 32GB of RAM in my 27" 2012 iMac

Picked up another MBPr with the 2013 updates and a time capsule with Magic Mouse.

Have to return the current one as I'm changing jobs. Might have to put my company on joint venture and adopt a BYOD strat.

Picked up another MBPr with the 2013 updates and a time capsule with Magic Mouse.

Have to return the current one as I'm changing jobs. Might have to put my company on joint venture and adopt a BYOD strat.

buying a new rMBP now? the bumps were microscopic, unless you HAD have one today I would recommend waiting for generation 2 rMBPs

Tekniqs

ok guys, my macbook came in and i fired it up tonight. I'm having a hard time transitioning to it since I've been PC since I can remember.
I think I'ma buy one of those mac magazines to start off with.

buying a new rMBP now? the bumps were microscopic, unless you HAD have one today I would recommend waiting for generation 2 rMBPs

I start the new job next Friday so I needed something. When the new ones come out, I'll just give it to another employee and get the new one, if the difference is worth it.

I'm frankly not sure what I'd want more for work and casual usage. It's fast as hell.

For gaming, I have a PC and 360 (Durango next) so my only use is really for productivity tasks. I don't like the flimsy feel of the Air's so I got the Pro.

1. What is the Intel HD4000 like for gaming? Could I run Minecraft?
2. How are the Pro's for heat dissipation? Do they stay reasonably cool?
3. Remote Drive. Since this model doesn't have a disc drive (and I'm not planning on purchasing the superdrive straight away), how well does this feature work? If I want to burn a movie to a disc from Handbrake, can I use the drive of any computer on the same network, or only another Mac?
4. I know Mac doesn't recognise NFTS formatted hard drives, but does Windows recognise Mac formatted hard drives?
5. I'm not going to buy this and have it drop in price two days later, right?

1. Dunno.
2. Fine for general use; they can get quite hot if you're pushing them.
3. Remote drive works with any Mac or Windows PC with the driver installed (on the PC). You can also use a USB-to-IDE/SATA adaptor with any old 5.25" optical drive you have kicking around. I've done both.
4. The Mac will read NTFS, but not write without a third-party driver. You will need a third-party driver for HFS+ on Windows (if one exists). The ideal format for exchange is the new ExFat format, or just use networking.
5. Price drop? Probably not, but see MacRumors buying guide. I assume it's going to be updated this year, but there are still 10 months in that window (no updates in December). At some point the Retina models will replace the normal ones at those prices.

moka

ok guys, my macbook came in and i fired it up tonight. I'm having a hard time transitioning to it since I've been PC since I can remember.
I think I'ma buy one of those mac magazines to start off with.

It was difficult for me to get used to my Mac at first as well because I had already been using a PC for many years and I still do. I switch between OS X, Windows and various favours of Linux everyday and can do it without hesitation now.

It just takes some practice and determination. You'll get used to it without any magazines to be honest. Let me know if you need some recommendations for software or there are plenty of articles online, nothing a quick Google search can't uncover.

I haven't really read through the 75 pages or so of this thread, because my old late 2008 unibody Macbook (not pro) is starting to lose it's oomph. I've been looking into a new computer, but I'm still not sure. Every model seems to have a catch of some sort. This one has higher specs but no NVIDIA graphics card. Then this one has a dual core processor and this one has quad core. This one is i5 but that one is i7.

I've had a very good five years with my current laptop. The amazing thing is that was one of the lower end computers for the time. I want something that's going to last me awhile, but it doesn't have to be ultra cutting edge to the point where I'll be in debt for years. I'd say something in the upper middle.

Do I need an NVIDIA graphics card? I'm not a super duper gamer outside of the Nintendo console and both handhelds. So while it'll be nice to be able to play some games for the next bunch of years, it doesn't have to run on top settings.

How much am I going to feel the difference between the cores of the processor? i5 vs. i7? You know, I just want to be as future proof as possible without being too unnecessary. I'm sure whatever I get at this point is going to feel like a world of difference.

I really don't buy computers too often, so hopefully someone can recommend something nice for me. Thanks for helping a lost soul. :p

Oh, and also!! I have a laptop, but I also have an iPad. Do I need a laptop or is getting a desktop a better value at this point?

Currently I have a 2011 21.5 inch iMac with 4GB of RAM (2 2GB sticks) and I'm buying 8GB later today (2 4GB sticks).

Can I keep the 2 2GB sticks in the iMac, or would it not work because the RAM is made by different manufacturers?

TUSR

Banned
Currently I have a 2011 21.5 inch iMac with 4GB of RAM (2 2GB sticks) and I'm buying 8GB later today (2 4GB sticks).

Can I keep the 2 2GB sticks in the iMac, or would it not work because the RAM is made by different manufacturers?

Im not big on mixing different speeds/capacity of ram sticks.

gokieks

Im not big on mixing different speeds/capacity of ram sticks.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing speeds and capacities. A computer will run all of them at the same frequency, voltage, and timings, so as long as all modules support whatever settings it is the system is running, it will work perfectly fine.

moka

I haven't really read through the 75 pages or so of this thread, because my old late 2008 unibody Macbook (not pro) is starting to lose it's oomph. I've been looking into a new computer, but I'm still not sure. Every model seems to have a catch of some sort. This one has higher specs but no NVIDIA graphics card. Then this one has a dual core processor and this one has quad core. This one is i5 but that one is i7.

I've had a very good five years with my current laptop. The amazing thing is that was one of the lower end computers for the time. I want something that's going to last me awhile, but it doesn't have to be ultra cutting edge to the point where I'll be in debt for years. I'd say something in the upper middle.

Do I need an NVIDIA graphics card? I'm not a super duper gamer outside of the Nintendo console and both handhelds. So while it'll be nice to be able to play some games for the next bunch of years, it doesn't have to run on top settings.

How much am I going to feel the difference between the cores of the processor? i5 vs. i7? You know, I just want to be as future proof as possible without being too unnecessary. I'm sure whatever I get at this point is going to feel like a world of difference.

I really don't buy computers too often, so hopefully someone can recommend something nice for me. Thanks for helping a lost soul. :p

Oh, and also!! I have a laptop, but I also have an iPad. Do I need a laptop or is getting a desktop a better value at this point?

Hey man, I have a few tips:

• If you're willing to build your own computer, then there are plenty of good resources out there that can help you with that, look into r/BuildaPC and PCPartPicker.com.
  • If you're not interested in building your own PC, then look into some build-a-pc websites which allow you to customise a PC so they will build it for you. These are usually more expensive than building it yourself but still good if you're not interested in building it yourself.
  • I'd go with a higher end i5, they can handle most tasks and in my opinion, are going to be capable of doing so for at least the next 3-4 years. If you've got the budget for it, feel free to get an i7.
  • There are plenty of good laptops out there but it depends on what you want and there are many things to consider before buying one. Do you want more power? Lightweight? Portability? Battery life? Gaming? Something in-between?
  • In terms of choosing between a laptop and a computer, it all depends on your use cases. If you travel a lot and need access to a computer while out and about, consider getting a laptop but if most of your use is at home, then I'd get a computer because you tend to get more for your money. Like you said, you've got an iPad so that can also be used if you can't be bothered sitting at a computer.

Hope some of these help.

TUSR

Banned
There is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing speeds and capacities. A computer will run all of them at the same frequency, voltage, and timings, so as long as all modules support whatever settings it is the system is running, it will work perfectly fine.

Except if his older 2x2GB is slower than his 2x4GB.

I have the late 2009 macbook pro 13 and I gotta say, it's really weird having a laptop that still works perfectly after over three years. Before I had a Dell and then two Toshibas. None of them lasted more than a year before starting to break down. The Dell literally just stopped working one day.

This one? No signs of aging other than diminished battery (which is still pretty good at 3-4 hours moderate use). Just upped the RAM to 8GB after upgrading to Lion and I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between this and the current Pro. Thinking of throwing a SSD in there once the price is right. Absolutely phenomenal build quality on Apple computers. Just cleaned it with a wet cloth yesterday and it even looks brand new.

gokieks

Thats exactly my point. But in this case it doesn't matter.

You said/inferred that he shouldn't mix modules of different speeds and capacities. That is not at all the same thing.

Anyway, to answer the original question, yes, you can keep the existing 2x2GB and add the new 2x4GB (provided that it's the the proper type and rated for at least the same frequency/voltage/timings as the old RAM) and it will work fine.

Hey man, I have a few tips:

• If you're willing to build your own computer, then there are plenty of good resources out there that can help you with that, look into r/BuildaPC and PCPartPicker.com.
  • If you're not interested in building your own PC, then look into some build-a-pc websites which allow you to customise a PC so they will build it for you. These are usually more expensive than building it yourself but still good if you're not interested in building it yourself.
  • I'd go with a higher end i5, they can handle most tasks and in my opinion, are going to be capable of doing so for at least the next 3-4 years. If you've got the budget for it, feel free to get an i7.
  • There are plenty of good laptops out there but it depends on what you want and there are many things to consider before buying one. Do you want more power? Lightweight? Portability? Battery life? Gaming? Something in-between?
  • In terms of choosing between a laptop and a computer, it all depends on your use cases. If you travel a lot and need access to a computer while out and about, consider getting a laptop but if most of your use is at home, then I'd get a computer because you tend to get more for your money. Like you said, you've got an iPad so that can also be used if you can't be bothered sitting at a computer.

Hope some of these help.

Thanks for the reply! I don't know if I'm up to actually building myself yet...I always seem to run into problems when doing those sorts of things somehow. :p

I guess being out of the game for so long, I'm really looking at how much of a difference getting a dual core processer versus a quad core will do. Or how much i5 vs i7 makes a difference. That sort of thing. Or is the NVIDIA graphics card really worth it? I want this thing to really last me awhile so I don't have to go nutso upgrading again in like, 3 years.

I hope this makes my pulling my hair out-ness a little more understandable. :p

Just upgraded to 10.8.3. Among other things it now supports Win8 for bootcamp.

I've been browsing Amazon for a copy of Win8 and all I see is upgrade editions from Win7 or earlier to Win8 and OEMs :/ why is it so complicated.

Tortfeasor

I need a laptop for when I am not near a computer and need to be productive. I have an iMac at home, iPad, iPhone, and st work a pc. I will mainly use it for research, surfing, drafting legal docs, and maybe some light steam play. I will not keep my photos or music library on the laptop as they reside on my IMac.

I was thinking of the MBA 13" with 128gb and 4gb ram, as it is a real sweet price right now at only $1100 on sale at Best Buy. I could spend as much as 600 more if necessary, but fell that the MBA described above may be too sweet a deal to pass up, and I think that it will likely maintain its resale value best compared to spending 250 more to get extra storage or a MBP. I also like the idea of having a SSD so that I don't have to worry about moving my laptop around while its on and the hd is working.

Any advice, or am I going down the right path?

moka

Thanks for the reply! I don't know if I'm up to actually building myself yet...I always seem to run into problems when doing those sorts of things somehow. :p

I guess being out of the game for so long, I'm really looking at how much of a difference getting a dual core processer versus a quad core will do. Or how much i5 vs i7 makes a difference. That sort of thing. Or is the NVIDIA graphics card really worth it? I want this thing to really last me awhile so I don't have to go nutso upgrading again in like, 3 years.

I hope this makes my pulling my hair out-ness a little more understandable. :p

Well, I'd ensure that the processor I'm getting is quad core, most are nowadays and they're not really expensive either. Shelling out for a good graphics card would be worth it but I'd personally keep it <$300, if not lower.

Deffinately look into getting an i5 and over-clocking it, with an i7, you'd be shelling out a lot more money and won't even notice the difference unless you're doing something processer intensive.

I have the late 2009 macbook pro 13 and I gotta say, it's really weird having a laptop that still works perfectly after over three years. Before I had a Dell and then two Toshibas. None of them lasted more than a year before starting to break down. The Dell literally just stopped working one day.

This one? No signs of aging other than diminished battery (which is still pretty good at 3-4 hours moderate use). Just upped the RAM to 8GB after upgrading to Lion and I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between this and the current Pro. Thinking of throwing a SSD in there once the price is right. Absolutely phenomenal build quality on Apple computers. Just cleaned it with a wet cloth yesterday and it even looks brand new.

My 2010 MBP works perfectly, added an SSD and up it to 8GB RAM and it's good as new for my needs

moka

Can anyone recommend a good antivirus for my 2012 macbook pro? Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with anti-virus software for Mac, not yet anyway. Just be cautious and exercise common sense while using the Internet and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom