• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Ovid

I was working on a case like that a few weeks ago.

If you're looking to reinstall it on the Mac you downloaded, then recovery's the way to go.

If you're trying to install it on another computer, it's not going to show up there. Your iLife apps would though.

I don't see them coming out anytime earlier than the end of June.
Recovery as in the recovery partition? If so, my partition say OSX 10.8.

I bought my Mac in June 2012. Apple gave everyone who bought a Mac with Lion preinstalled a code for the ML download.

Shouldn't my partition say 10.7?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They seem to like to do yearly releases now. So it will surely come in approx July regardless of when they choose to announce it.
Last year Cook said they were switching to yearly updates and the past two years have had previews in Feb or March. So we're hoping for that trend to continue. I will also play with the beta when the time comes.

Deku Tree

Well MacRumors wrote a while back that the internet was seeing increased activity from computers identifying themselves as using OSX 10.9. So we will see...

Sanic

I assume it's not possible to upgrade the ram on the mid 2012 11inch Airs? Nothing on iFixit.

At least i'll have the option of doing an SSD upgrade.

oatmeal

Banned
I bought a 27" iMac off of CL today, 2010 model, 16GB of RAM, 3.2GHZ i7...but it doesn't have a hard drive.

I opened her up and everything seems to be in order except it's missing a few screws. Basically the guy had someone open it up and remove his hard drive because of important stuff on it. I don't know what that means.

It's in great shape, I just need to run and get a 3.5" SATA drive tomorrow...but I need those screws. I can get them on eBay and whatever, but I'd really like to pick them up. Anyone know if somewhere like Home Depot would carry screws like that?

I suppose I could call the Apple Store?

And if you're wondering about the price...$600. I then went to the Apple Store and bought a keyboard and trackpad and it had no power cable (well it did but it was black...ew) so I asked Apple and they had one in the back that they gave for free. They're so awesome.

buhdeh

Got a bookarc for my MBA. So friggin expensive for what it is but got damn does it make my desk nicer and less cluttered. So annoying that they put the power on one side and the video output on the other.

I'm having an issue with my rMBPs fans. I can barely play WoW for 5 minutes before my computer sounds like its gonna go down the runway. It is so loud you can hear it in another room. It gets a little quieter if I take it off the charger while I play, but then im constantly worrying about my battery life.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the noise? A cooling stand or something?

I should also mention that nothing is covering the exhaust holes under the screen.

I'm having an issue with my rMBPs fans. I can barely play WoW for 5 minutes before my computer sounds like its gonna go down the runway. It is so loud you can hear it in another room. It gets a little quieter if I take it off the charger while I play, but then im constantly worrying about my battery life.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the noise? A cooling stand or something?

I should also mention that nothing is covering the exhaust holes under the screen.

I have the exact same problem, although I'm using a MBP from late 2011.

Any game, no matter how old makes the fans scream (6200rpm).

Even 1080p video.

wha

muddream

Banned
My MBP started doing that a little over a year ago ('09 MBP). I figured it's just the cooling paste getting old and useless, but never bothered to take the thing apart because I keep telling myself "I'm buying a new one next summer anyway".

I thought the retina MBPs are supposed to be quiet because of asymetric fans, so maybe that's another issue.

My MBP started doing that a little over a year ago ('09 MBP). I figured it's just the cooling paste getting old and useless, but never bothered to take the thing apart because I keep telling myself "I'm buying a new one next summer anyway".

I thought the retina MBPs are supposed to be quiet because of asymetric fans, so maybe that's another issue.

Well, if I just have the charger plugged in there is a slight hum of the fans with a little buzz in the right side of the keyboard. I'm guessing there is something stuck in that fan or it is off balance. When it's like this it's totally fine I can deal with the hum. But once I load even the WoW launcher its like it knows. It gets hot enough to make me jerk my hand back if I touch the top bar (above the keyboard, below the screen, where the exhaust holes are) if I hold it for 10+ seconds.

Though this could be totally normal. I have never played games on a laptop before, so im not sure what to expect. Maybe I'll pop by the apple store next time I go to the mall.

Quick edit--

I downloaded SMCfanControl to see my fan speeds and temps

Idle: Temp: 45 C
Fan Speed: 2160 rpm

Wow Open for about 15mins scanning the auction house
Temp: Spiked to 92 C for a minute then dropped to a steady 82 C after fans kicked up
End fan speed: 5930 rpm

Late edit..

I hooked up an external display and im getting the same temps but the fans aren't kicking up as high. Maybe the screen was generating a ton of heat.

Iacobellis

If I want to run a game at 2880 x 1800, will it still look pixelated? The only way I can think of playing more intensive games on my rMBP is at 1080p on an external display.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If I want to run a game at 2880 x 1800, will it still look pixelated? The only way I can think of playing more intensive games on my rMBP is at 1080p on an external display.
The pixels will probably actually be small enough to not notice them. You won't even need to turn on FSAA or something. Have you tried it? I imagine it'll look really good, providing the machine is powerful enough to run whatever game it is at that resolution. Now if you set it to 1440x900 it would be blocky, but it would look more like a normal display with pixels of the normal size. Then again I haven't played with a rMBP to that capacity yet.

Presco

The specs are pretty good for the price, but the new Haswell models are only a few months away. If you can wait, I'd say do that and pick up a 2013 model.

I'd think Haswell will more benefit the 13' rMBP and the MBA since the main benefit will be graphics. With the dedicated 650, I'd go for the 15' at that price if he needs one now.

I'd think Haswell will more benefit the 13' rMBP and the MBA since the main benefit will be graphics. With the dedicated 650, I'd go for the 15' at that price if he needs one now.

The problem that I have is that is the 650M has half the memory it should have for this machine. Not having at least a 2 GB option is a poor choice by Apple I feel.

I think the 700M series will be more suitable. Whether it's the 750M or what have you?

Iacobellis

The pixels will probably actually be small enough to not notice them. You won't even need to turn on FSAA or something. Have you tried it? I imagine it'll look really good, providing the machine is powerful enough to run whatever game it is at that resolution. Now if you set it to 1440x900 it would be blocky, but it would look more like a normal display with pixels of the normal size. Then again I haven't played with a rMBP to that capacity yet.

I tried playing Modern Combat at 1680x1050 and it looked kind of fuzzy. The game I have in question is The Sims 3, which doesn't need to run at 60FPS at all to enjoy it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I tried playing Modern Combat at 1680x1050 and it looked kind of fuzzy. The game I have in question is The Sims 3, which doesn't need to run at 60FPS at all to enjoy it.
I guess it depends on if the game can support the native resolution, and is designed to actually look good at a higher resolution.

Was that 1680x1050 on the Retina Pro? Because that'd be your problem as it's not native nor is it half resolution. The only one that will look the best is full resolution 2440x1800. Anything lower is gonna be as fuzzy as any other non-retina display at non-native resolution.

Iacobellis

I guess it depends on if the game can support the native resolution, and is designed to actually look good at a higher resolution.

Was that 1680x1050 on the Retina Pro? Because that'd be your problem as it's not native nor is it half resolution. The only one that will look the best is full resolution 2440x1800. Anything lower is gonna be as fuzzy as any other non-retina display at non-native resolution.

Yeah, I have a 15" rMBP. I figured it was going to be really fuzzy, but I guess the developers have to implement pixel doubling into games manually. I figured it would do it on it's own like OS X does.

corn_fest

I wish there was some way to run non-retina compatible applications in 1:1 mode (while keeping everything else in HiDPI) and just have them be smaller. It might look awkward with the smaller UI elements, but in some cases, I'd prefer it to the fuzzy scaling.
I wonder if there might be some way to implement this?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I have a 15" rMBP. I figured it was going to be really fuzzy, but I guess the developers have to implement pixel doubling into games manually. I figured it would do it on it's own like OS X does.
Can you not set the resolution of the game you're trying to play to 2440x1800? Because since 1680x1050 is not a whole number value of 2440x1800 so it's going to have janky looking deformed pixels. At least 1440x900 would be doubled. Only full resolution is going to look 100% solid pixels. (That goes for any display)

Iacobellis

Can you not set the resolution of the game you're trying to play to 2440x1800? Because since 1680x1050 is not a whole number value of 2440x1800 so it's going to have janky looking deformed pixels. At least 1440x900 would be doubled. Only full resolution is going to look 100% solid pixels. (That goes for any display)

Yeah, I understand how displays work and whatnot.

No, the game maxed out at 1920 x 1080 (or 1920 x 1200?).

Prologue

Putting a windows 7 iso on a usb and trying to boot through bootcamp is unnecessary difficult.

I installed it through vmare fusion. But I'm guessing that means I can't start it up through bootcamp alone?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why not just wait for the Mac version? The game might actually be playable by then.
Question: Does Origin let you purchase a game once and play it on either OS X or Windows? Like Steam? Or is EA being EA and making you have to buy each version separately? Because if it's the latter, then EA are assholes. I also want to buy the game but don't know how it will run on either OS X (My Intel Integrated HD 4000) when it comes out, or my Mac under Parallels or in BootCamp eventually on Windows. If it is like Steam, I can just buy once and not have to worry which version I decide to play.

Question: Does Origin let you purchase a game once and play it on either OS X or Windows?

You could just look at the Origin store: http://store.origin.com/store/ea/cat/mac/categoryID.8832000

The EA games that are available for mac on the Origin store are Mac/Windows purchases. I don't know if that mean they will retoroactively add cross platform licenses, like Steam *mostly does, though. I imagine it would, though. Can't say 100% certainty.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You could just look at the Origin store...

The EA games that are available for mac on the Origin store are Mac/Windows purchases. I don't know if that mean they will retoroactively add cross platform licenses, like Steam *mostly does, though. I imagine it would, though. Can't say 100% certainty.
I don't own Origin and would most likely be installing it for one game. I don't play any EA games at all pretty much so it would probably be a Sim City only install for a long time.

See I don't want to purchase this game until I can be sure that the Windows license I buy now will let me install the Mac version when the time comes.

Is there someone at EA on Twitter who would reply to such a question? Maybe it's on the FAQ. I will check into it. I mean, what's the historical experience of this? How many cross-platform games does Origin have and have they in the past. I am going to check the site now. They will possibly have my purchase this week if cross-platform licenses are possible for this game. (Hope I don't get a bullshit "We don't have that information at this time" because either they do or they don't.)

Edit: I can't find any direct mention of cross-platform license at all on the website.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, like I said, I couldn't say 100% for sure. Maybe try to check with the main SimCity twitter account? Lord knows they are probably busy lol.
Ugh, yeah. Too bad the Mac version didn't just come out at the same time so we'd have the answer.

But the question remains, are there games on Origin that work on both OS X and Windows, and can anyone who has Origin confirm that they only had to purchase one of them to play it on both? If so, I'd be more confident a cross-platform license will probably happen for SimCity. Surely someone here has both Windows and OS X and an Origin account and has tested this.

My Dragon Age 2 copy has a cross platform license. So I guess at some do?
Some. I hope all. Because despite all the PR nightmare stuff coming from this launch, I still want this game. My friend got it and has had no problems so far and loves the shit out of the game. I want to join him!

Ugh, yeah. Too bad the Mac version didn't just come out at the same time so we'd have the answer.

But the question remains, are there games on Origin that work on both OS X and Windows, and can anyone who has Origin confirm that they only had to purchase one of them to play it on both? If so, I'd be more confident a cross-platform license will probably happen for SimCity. Surely someone here has both Windows and OS X and an Origin account and has tested this.

Yes, the link I posted directly shows that the Sims 3 and DA2 are both cross platform licenses, and looks like every EA published Mac game available on the Origin store is cross-platform.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yes, the link I posted directly shows that the Sims 3 and DA2 are both cross platform licenses, and looks like every EA published Mac game available on the Origin store is cross-platform.
Good. That's one more point for SimCity and Origin. That was my biggest fear. (Not the server problems, but locking me to one platform would have sucked.)

Now to just find out how it would run (If at all) on a 2012 MacBook Air with an HD4000 on OS X under Parallels running Windows 7. (Seems my games are hit or miss there. I really need to make a BC partition some time.)

Top Bottom