• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Artemisia

Banned

negativeman-55f.png

fucking macrumors

Recently I have been running into issues with my Airport Extreme not being able to recognize the correct password and not let anyone outside of my network put a device on it (has my router become sentient?) -this concerns both my network and my guest network. Has anyone run into this issue before?

I am having to go from a desktop to a macbook pro as I am moving to Japan. Basically I need to do some simple video editing, about 2-3 hours of video each week in Adobe Premiere and export to 2 formats which I have presets for.

My question is, will I get a lot of extra kick with 1GB 650m vs the 512MB 650? I just don't want to spend the extra $$ if I don't need to since I will be upgrading the hard drive to a 7200rpm one anyways.

Also how would this hurt gaming? I have a decent Steam library (Far Cry 3, hopefully the new Bioshock, Saints Row 3), but plan on getting a PS4 so it is not a deal breaker.

Edit: also I am guessing I should stay away from the rMBPs still? Seems to be issues with them from the screen to the heat.

giga

Recently I have been running into issues with my Airport Extreme not being able to recognize the correct password and not let anyone outside of my network put a device on it (has my router become sentient?) -this concerns both my network and my guest network. Has anyone run into this issue before?
Try a hard reset.

Now I am considering the Lenovo y500 vs a 15" MBP. Running about half the price and has 2GB 650m instead of the 1GB in the MBP at $2000. The big hit will be battery life, but I guess I could just buy a second one.

Anyone have experience with the Lenovo y500?

Seems like a sleek laptop and has gotten good reviews:

IdeaPad-Y500-Laptop-PC-Front-Back-View-1L-940x475.jpg

Aroo

Neo Member
I am having to go from a desktop to a macbook pro as I am moving to Japan. Basically I need to do some simple video editing, about 2-3 hours of video each week in Adobe Premiere and export to 2 formats which I have presets for.

My question is, will I get a lot of extra kick with 1GB 650m vs the 512MB 650? I just don't want to spend the extra $$ if I don't need to since I will be upgrading the hard drive to a 7200rpm one anyways.

Also how would this hurt gaming? I have a decent Steam library (Far Cry 3, hopefully the new Bioshock, Saints Row 3), but plan on getting a PS4 so it is not a deal breaker.

Edit: also I am guessing I should stay away from the rMBPs still? Seems to be issues with them from the screen to the heat.

For Adobe one of the requirements for GPU acceleration is 1 GB of ram vram or more. I know for the MPE, Premier Pro requires 1 GB vram or more as well. It would be in your best interest to get the fastest CPU available as well. And yes, it will sound like a jet engine when rendering however quality wise, the software renderer is still the best method for exports. (MPE for preview playback etc...)

Well it appears that my 15" rMBP died on me. It won't power on and when I plug it in to charge the light on my charger doesn't light up at all. I went through the suggestions on Apple's support page and still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions before I make a Genius Bar appointment?

Aroo

Neo Member
Well it appears that my 15" rMBP died on me. It won't power on and when I plug it in to charge the light on my charger doesn't light up at all. I went through the suggestions on Apple's support page and still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions before I make a Genius Bar appointment?

Depending on your area and how full the Apple Store is (mine is packed each and every time), go to Apples contact page and set up a call back. (It's quick.) They call you back with all your info and will help you trouble shoot it. If they determine it's dead they can probably set you up quicker at the Genius bar.

Even though via the Apple Store you can set up an appointment, they have different queues that are not visible. When I needed to go back for my freshly repaired MBP I only had to wait 30 minutes all because I a computer issue. He was able to set me up with an appointment however on the App it was a 7 day wait for an appointment. While they're separate queues people get grouped up in the same queue even though the Mac people are separate from the iPhone/iPad people. (You're out of luck if it's an iPad, iPhone, or iPod though.)

Least that's how it was at my store.

Depending on your area and how full the Apple Store is (mine is packed each and every time), go to Apples contact page and set up a call back. (It's quick.) They call you back with all your info and will help you trouble shoot it. If they determine it's dead they can probably set you up quicker at the Genius bar.

Even though via the Apple Store you can set up an appointment, they have different queues that are not visible. When I needed to go back for my freshly repaired MBP I only had to wait 30 minutes all because I a computer issue. He was able to set me up with an appointment however on the App it was a 7 day wait for an appointment. While they're separate queues people get grouped up in the same queue even though the Mac people are separate from the iPhone/iPad people. (You're out of luck if it's an iPad, iPhone, or iPod though.)

Least that's how it was at my store.

The store that I go to always has a decent amount of people in it, but during the afternoon I don't think it's super busy. I was able to set up an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. It's really frustrating to have a 9 month old laptop that I paid $2100 for already die on me, hopefully the process of getting it fixed or replaced is fairly painless.

Aroo

Neo Member
The store that I go to always has a decent amount of people in it, but during the afternoon I don't think it's super busy. I was able to set up an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. It's really frustrating to have a 9 month old laptop that I paid $2100 for already die on me, hopefully the process of getting it fixed or replaced is fairly painless.

You should be fine however I have some very important advise for you.

Whatever you do.......

Make sure your time machine back ups work. Attempt to restore your machine from one completely. Mountain Lion has been doing some crap to time machine back ups where the machine from a recovery boot/migration assistant will not recognize the back up. My MBP was repaired last week (replaced the whole motherboard and wireless chip) and when I attempted the restore it couldn't recognize it.

Shoot your machine is dead and you're on a retina, hope it works out. As for the repair, my repair went very well and I only waited 4 days. (MBP 13 Early 2011 with 16GB of Corsair Ram.)

You should be fine however I have some very important advise for you.

Whatever you do.......

Make sure your time machine back ups work. Attempt to restore your machine from one completely. Mountain Lion has been doing some crap to time machine back ups where the machine from a recovery boot/migration assistant will not recognize the back up. My MBP was repaired last week (replaced the whole motherboard and wireless chip) and when I attempted the restore it couldn't recognize it.

Shoot your machine is dead and you're on a retina, hope it works out. As for the repair, my repair went very well and I only waited 4 days. (MBP 13 Early 2011 with 16GB of Corsair Ram.)

I have regular Time Machine backups, but I have no way of knowing if they work. I haven't ever had to restore from one, and I don't have another Mac to try them out on. I assume that they always send it out for repairs and that there is no chance of me walking out what another laptop tomorrow like you would with an iPad or iPhone?

I have regular Time Machine backups, but I have no way of knowing if they work. I haven't ever had to restore from one, and I don't have another Mac to try them out on. I assume that they always send it out for repairs and that there is no chance of me walking out what another laptop tomorrow like you would with an iPad or iPhone?

If you have a stock configuration, I think there's a chance you'll get a replacement if they have one.

GWX

I just saw that Boot Camp now supports Windows 8, awesome!

I'm thinking now of getting a MacBook Air 13" with 128GB of SSD. Never owned a Mac before, but I have been enjoying my fourth generation iPad and my Apple TV very much (bought the iPad late last year and the Apple TV last month), fact that is leading me towards an Apple laptop. The fact that I can install Windows 8 (I already got a Windows 8 spare key, that's why) is sealing the deal, since I need Windows for some applications I use in college. Would you guys say go for it or is it better to wait for a new generation? I'm kinda of in a hurry to buy a new laptop, since my old Atom-powered netbook is becoming unusable, but it's a pretty expensive device and I'm afraid of investing that kind of money on something that will receive changes soon. Also, should I go for the 256GB model or will the 128GB suffice in Boot Camp?

GWX

Yeah, I've seen some previews of Haswell, and it seems like it will be worth the wait. But damn, am I tempted to get it this wednesday :(

Jake.

haswell will be out in mac's in june at the absolute earliest, but july/august is probably more realistic. if you really want one now, i'd say go for it.

UrgentPS

Neo Member
So I'm thinking about upgrading my Mac Pro (2010) Quad Core with double the RAM. Anybody any experience with which kind of RAM to buy? I'm looking at the Crucial 12 GB ECC Registered DDR3-1066 Tri-Kit (€119,90) (link) for this upgrade. Would this work? My Mac Pro currently has 3 DIMMS of 2GB DDR3 ECC 1066 MHz. I think I should be able to just swap those three for the other ones right? And I really don't feel like paying more than triple the amount at the Apple Store (link).

Anybody any idea if those Crucial DIMMS will work without problems? Or other tips? Thanks!

Just done the lastest update to my macbook pro retina 15", was glad to see fixes for sleep bugs that I was having problems with. The install went smoothly and all was well until I closed the lid.

Now the machine is completely dead, wont turn on. none of the buttons do anything, even the safe start stuff. There is no LED on the power adapter any more so it looks like it's gone. I have had it for what 9 months now? 2000 euro laptop cant outlive my 7 year old windows vista vaio??? this is a joke and I'm not impressed.

Thankfully I have a year warranty on this machine so hopefully it will get fixed with no issues.

Just done the lastest update to my macbook pro retina 15", was glad to see fixes for sleep bugs that I was having problems with. The install went smoothly and all was well until I closed the lid.

Now the machine is completely dead, wont turn on. none of the buttons do anything, even the safe start stuff. There is no LED on the power adapter any more so it looks like it's gone. I have had it for what 9 months now? 2000 euro laptop cant outlive my 7 year old windows vista vaio??? this is a joke and I'm not impressed.

Thankfully I have a year warranty on this machine so hopefully it will get fixed with no issues.

This literally happened to me a few days ago. I took it to the Apple Store yesterday and actually it ended up being a hardware issue. A screw from the heat sink was stripped during manufacturing and popped loose, wiggled its way to the battery and slipped under that popping the battery a little loose. They were able to get it running again in the store, but suggested I have them send it out to get it fixed properly which is what I did. In my case it sounds like it was a complete coincidence that I updated and my machine stopped working.

Just off the phone with Apple support, sending it into a store tomorrow to get fixed for free. Thank god for my one year warranty.

After all this, I would consider getting Apple Care, is it worth it ?

moka

Just off the phone with Apple support, sending it into a store tomorrow to get fixed for free. Thank god for my one year warranty.

I'm not sure to be honest. Macs are in general very reliable, my guess is that what happened to you laptop after the update is a one-off situation. I'm not saying it couldn't happen again but it's definitely not going to be a common occurrence.

I'm not sure if this is justification enough for you to purchase it and if it is, that's OK because Apple Care isn't that expensive anyway and will provide peace of mind.

I didn't buy it.

Blackhead

Redarse

It's always worth it for an Apple laptop, even more so for a first generation one. You've already seen how flaky these computers can be. On the other hand that $350+ for AppleCare might as well be the difference between selling this laptop and buying a Haswell model whenever that comes out...

You're given 365 dsys to purchase AppleCare so best to mark your calendar and wait a bit before spending that money

corn_fest

It's always worth it for an Apple laptop, even more so for a first generation one. You've already seen how flaky these computers can be. On the other hand that $350+ for AppleCare might as well be the difference between selling this laptop and buying a Haswell model whenever that comes out...

You're given 365 dsys to purchase AppleCare so best to mark your calendar and wait a bit before spending that money

AppleCare is transferrable, though, right? So wouldn't it add to the resale value?

Blackhead

Redarse
AppleCare is transferrable, though, right? So wouldn't it add to the resale value?

It's transferable but you're always selling at a discount and will not recoup the $350+. It also makes the laptop a bit harder to sell as the kind of people trying to purchase a used Mac usually don't have enough money to add for that selling point (even though it's well worth it). If you plan to flip the laptop under a year then let the next person worry about purchasing AppleCare or not.

buhdeh

Yeah, first generation Macs are the most problem-ridden laptops I've ever used.

I bought the first Intel MacBooks (the SINGLE core - Core Duo) and I remember how the plastics on it would start melting because the computer ran too hot. The wristpad would turn brown because the material absorbed sweat, skin oils, and pretty much any type of dirt.

After that, I bought the first 13" MacBook aluminum (before they were renamed to Pro) and I had to exchange it twice before I eventually returned it because they had awful flickering screens and every single key on the keyboard was slanted (tilted sideways).

I'll never buy another first gen Apple product.

muddream

Banned
If a 1st gen Apple product doesn't have reliability issues, it's most likely either overpriced or underpowered compared to 2nd gen.

I just saw that Boot Camp now supports Windows 8, awesome!

I'm thinking now of getting a MacBook Air 13" with 128GB of SSD. Never owned a Mac before, but I have been enjoying my fourth generation iPad and my Apple TV very much (bought the iPad late last year and the Apple TV last month), fact that is leading me towards an Apple laptop. The fact that I can install Windows 8 (I already got a Windows 8 spare key, that's why) is sealing the deal, since I need Windows for some applications I use in college. Would you guys say go for it or is it better to wait for a new generation? I'm kinda of in a hurry to buy a new laptop, since my old Atom-powered netbook is becoming unusable, but it's a pretty expensive device and I'm afraid of investing that kind of money on something that will receive changes soon. Also, should I go for the 256GB model or will the 128GB suffice in Boot Camp?

i would personally wait but if you really need one now, get a refurb so you can save some money. you can then sell it off a few months later if you choose to upgrade to haswell. it might be more trouble than youd like but then again it really depends on how badly you need a laptop right now.

im thinking about getting a refurb 15" retina but that depends on how much i can get for my current MBP. i dont mind spending an extra few hundred bucks to upgrade since the much increased productivity makes it worth it.

Now I am considering the Lenovo y500 vs a 15" MBP. Running about half the price and has 2GB 650m instead of the 1GB in the MBP at $2000. The big hit will be battery life, but I guess I could just buy a second one.

Anyone have experience with the Lenovo y500?

Seems like a sleek laptop and has gotten good reviews:

IdeaPad-Y500-Laptop-PC-Front-Back-View-1L-940x475.jpg

Well I dont have experience with that brand but I use a Lenovo for work and they make great machines.

I believe you can with any 27-inch aluminium iMac, before the change over to Thunderbolt. It requires a freaking expensive adapter though.
The Xbox will be running at 1280x720 as well, which doesn't look fantastic on the iMac or any screen of similar resolution/dimensions, unless you sit far enough back from it.

oatmeal

Banned
Wowzers...

So I bought a used iMac on Craigslist (27" 2010) from some guy who thought he was scamming me, and I was able to pull it apart and replace the logic board (among other parts) with bits i picked up on eBay for around $900 total.

Not a bad deal overall.

Now it's a 2.66 ghz i5, 16GB Ram (came with that surprisingly), new harddrive (just a 500GB for now)...

Pretty cool. I did have to buy a 2009 logic board because there weren't any for under a grand for the 2010 model. Oh well, they were the same shape and whatnot...same thing...worked great.

Now my wife has a great iMac!

(EDIT)
Here's the after:

295649_10152675290450514_385135334_n.jpg

And yesterday, just prior to building...

246568_10152196720010353_369365123_n.jpg

Sullichin

i've had an old PowerPC mac mini sitting around for a while now. Is there anything useful I can do with it? Maybe make it into a media server? Not sure if it would be good enough for streaming.

J2d

Can I do some kind of factory reset where everything from my imac is cleaned up except the stuff it came with? I'm thinking of giving it away to my cousin but as I don't wanna scar her for life I figure I have to clean it up first.

Wowzers...

So I bought a used iMac on Craigslist (27" 2010) from some guy who thought he was scamming me, and I was able to pull it apart and replace the logic board (among other parts) with bits i picked up on eBay for around $900 total.

Not a bad deal overall.

Now it's a 2.66 ghz i5, 16GB Ram (came with that surprisingly), new harddrive (just a 500GB for now)...

Pretty cool. I did have to buy a 2009 logic board because there weren't any for under a grand for the 2010 model. Oh well, they were the same shape and whatnot...same thing...worked great.

Now my wife has a great iMac!

(EDIT)
Here's the after:

295649_10152675290450514_385135334_n.jpg

And yesterday, just prior to building...

246568_10152196720010353_369365123_n.jpg
What? How much did he sell you the old iMac for?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what's the best way to get Windows 8 onto my Macbook Air with boot camp? I'd assume I need to get it on a USB drive unless I buy the Mac disc drive right?

Mindwipe

So what's the best way to get Windows 8 onto my Macbook Air with boot camp? I'd assume I need to get it on a USB drive unless I buy the Mac disc drive right?

Yes.

If you download the ISO Microsoft have a tool on their website (it says it's for Windows 7 but it works with 8) to create a suitable USB stick from it.

Any third party CD drive would do - there are plenty of Samsung ones for less than half the price of the Apple one.

Mindwipe

Can I do some kind of factory reset where everything from my imac is cleaned up except the stuff it came with? I'm thinking of giving it away to my cousin but as I don't wanna scar her for life I figure I have to clean it up first.

If it has Mountain Lion just vape the entire drive and do internet recovery on it.

IIRC Since the later versions of 10.6, antimalware is built in and it updates daily.

Turn off Java, and if you need it for a site, use a different browser for it.

Use a Flash blocker.

Tekniqs

cool thanks!

also, how do you hide folders/files on the mac? I googled it and a post stated that you need to download an app to do it..

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
cool thanks!

also, how do you hide folders/files on the mac? I googled it and a post stated that you need to download an app to do it..
There are multiple ways.

You can prefix their filename with a period which the Finder treats as hidden by default, but that changes the filename which could cause problems if the file is referenced by other programs.

You can use the free Xcode tools which includes SetFile which is a command line app to change file attributes.

There's also chflags to change attributes.

Most apps that hide files/folders are just frontends to capabilities that the OS already has. You just need to figure out which utility to use to access that.

I have noticed however that the latest OS X update has for some reason broken my ability to make my Library visible again. chflags nohidden ~/Library/ no longer works. I am really mad. For Jobs' sakes, Apple! Why do you not want me going in my Library? I've been doing it for 13 years! I'm not going to ruin anything! LET ME UNHIDE IT!

how do you hide folders/files on the mac? I googled it and a post stated that you need to download an app to do it..

Hide them for what purpose? So you don't have to see them or to prevent others from seeing them? If the latter, put them in an encrypted disk image or encrypted sparse bundle (if it's going to be big; will allow more incremental backups). If the former, use Terminal to put a dot/period ('.') character at the front of the name or set an extended file attribute like ~/Library has.

Edit: beaten

chflags nohidden ~/Library/ no longer works. I am really mad. For Jobs' sakes, Apple! Why do you not want me going in my Library? I've been doing it for 13 years! I'm not going to ruin anything! LET ME UNHIDE IT!

Make an alias. In Finder, Go > Library (hold option), then drag the Library folder's window-title-bar icon to your home folder with cmd-opt held down.

Top Bottom