• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Arcteryx

Anyone else having issues with Safari lately and some of the image heavy pages here on GAF? Never had issues before scrolling through them, but the Watches thread the other day made my Safari freeze every time I started scrolling down the page. It's done it a couple other times with the PC screenshots thread too lately.

Pachimari

Hmmm... I have charged my MacBook Air 13" (bought it november 2011) and the connector lights up green. I see it's at 95% and only has battery for 2:30 hours, should I take it to a repair? Or is it normal the battery gets this worse as time goes on?

I have lots of apps open, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Safari/Chrome.

Arcteryx

Hmmm... I have charged my MacBook Air 13" (bought it november 2011) and the connector lights up green. I see it's at 95% and only has battery for 2:30 hours, should I take it to a repair? Or is it normal the battery gets this worse as time goes on?

I have lots of apps open, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Safari/Chrome.

Have you tried following the calibration steps on the Apple support site? Might be worth a shot.

My older MBP had a battery that lasted almost 5 years before it showed major loss in battery life/practically died(said it needed to be serviced).

It won't be my only computer, but I do plan on copying a lot of files over, in addition to school stuff, so 128GB probably won't be enough.

I don't have any multimedia on mine, but have 66GB free after 1.5 years. Use it for development, graphic design, and temporary photo-editing (I move any projects in Aperture over to my Mac Pro).

If you're a student, make sure you get the $50 education discount.

Would ordering AppleCare for the MacBook Air be worth it?

I have it on mine; am done buying it for desktops though. You do have a year to pick it up, though.

Windam

Scaley member
His dad is paying so he probably wants to get it now ;)

Nah, I'm good with waiting a while. I don't wanna spend too much all at once :p I could pick it up on my own later.

I'd say so. It helped me during the end of the AppleCare period, so I guess in hindsight I can say it was definitely worth it(got a new laptop out of it basically).

Thanks. Don't know much about Macs, but I hear they're generally very reliable. Stuff can happen, though, I guess. I'll pick it up at some point. Thanks, guys!

So I read on AppleInsider that Tim Cook said to pay attention beginning in the fall and into 2014 for new products. Hopefully Haswell minis come in the summer.

Blackhead

Redarse
So I read on AppleInsider that Tim Cook said to pay attention beginning in the fall and into 2014 for new products. Hopefully Haswell minis come in the summer.

Didn't Tim Cook say last year we could expect something for Mac Pro owners early this year? His track record of product promises isn't looking good...

I posted this in the software thread (wrongly) but thought I'd repost here :)

So I'm considering buying a Mac. I'm swaying between a Macbook Pro 13" with retina, an iMac 27" or potentially a Macbook air. I'm primarily going to be using it for web browsing, office type stuff (word, powerpoint etc) and watching videos, playing music. So nothing graphically intensive as I don't PC game.

On the one hand a laptop would be nice, but I'm probably going to get a work laptop soon which will almost certainly be Windows. Plus I already have a windows laptop which has terrible battery life and the screen ain't great. But the battery life and portability of a Macbook are really appealing especially if I want something reasonably lightweight to carry around with me for my own stuff. I like the air, but I'm worried about storage size. On the other hand I have a huge external hard drive for storing stuff on....

An iMac appeals to me for the size of screen, but I'm worried by the fact that I don't think I can use the monitor as an input for anything else. For example i might want to plug a PS3 in or a cable box. I know I can do this with PC All in ones. Is there a work around? The alternative is to buy a Macbook and separate monitor but then it gets hugely expensive.

And then there's rumours of new Macbooks and iMacs at the end of Q2.... so I don't want to buy something either for a) it to be blown away by the new stuff or b)Pay full price only for the prices of the current models to come crashing down when the new lineup is revealed.

Any advice??

Just bought a macbook 15" retina for my mother(I'll use it too hehe), its beautful! First time ever using a mac so I'll have lots of questions. I made an account for both of us, however my email is visible on her account in Mail, I haven't configured an Apple ID for her account yet. How can I prevent Mail from showing my emails on her account?

I for the life of me cannot figure out what the fuck is going on. I have a generic mini display port to hdmi cable and am using that to plug into an external monitor that accepts 1080p signals. When I attempt to use extended desktop mode or mirroring the display 1080p flat out refuses to work, or will go on screen for about a second and then immediately go to black, and then a few seconds later come back and disappear again... In fact the only resolution that actually works is 720p but that's a downgrade from the 1440 x 900 display already in the computer, and the option for 1080i but it causes flickering due to it being interlaced on a progressive scan screen. It is really aggravating me right now.

Any ideas or anyone else run into this? Something I should have apple look at the computer for? It's about 7 months old at this point.

Foov

Is there a way to get safari not to refresh the page every time I go back? When browsing gaf it can be really disorienting, and I haven't been able to figure out how to stop it.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is so strange, but I didn't know where to post this:

I'm trying to video chat with someone in Atlanta using iChat. She has an older Mac. Everytime we try to iMessage and videochat, it kicks back my requests to her and her requests to me to videochat never show up. I need to figure this out before tomorrow... I'm using a 10.8.2 desktop.

Hcow

Is there a way to get safari not to refresh the page every time I go back? When browsing gaf it can be really disorienting, and I haven't been able to figure out how to stop it.

It's a known issue. Try disabling any extensions that modify webpages, like Adblock or Reddit Enhancement Suite.

whitehawk

Banned
When I play games on my Mac via bootcamp, the top of the computer gets VERY VERY hot. So hot that it seems if I were to hold my hand there too long I could get a mild burn. Is this normal? I keep worrying and closing my games to let it cool off. I've tried using an overclocker a few times, but the temperature get way up there even without it.

TUSR

Banned
This is so strange, but I didn't know where to post this:

I'm trying to video chat with someone in Atlanta using iChat. She has an older Mac. Everytime we try to iMessage and videochat, it kicks back my requests to her and her requests to me to videochat never show up. I need to figure this out before tomorrow... I'm using a 10.8.2 desktop.

just use skype

hiro4

When I play games on my Mac via bootcamp, the top of the computer gets VERY VERY hot. So hot that it seems if I were to hold my hand there too long I could get a mild burn. Is this normal? I keep worrying and closing my games to let it cool off. I've tried using an overclocker a few times, but the temperature get way up there even without it.

What kind of mac do you have?
When I was gaming with my MBP in bootcamp, the area above the number keys would become really hot. But it never damaged anything.

I also used speedfan to manually change the fan speed to a higher setting when going in to windows, since going in to windows alone would cause the temperature to rise.

whitehawk

Banned
What kind of mac do you have?
When I was gaming with my MBP in bootcamp, the area above the number keys would become really hot. But it never damaged anything.

I also used speedfan to manually change the fan speed to a higher setting when going in to windows, since going in to windows alone would cause the temperature to rise.
Late 2011 iMac 21.5"

hiro4

Late 2011 iMac 21.5"

I would say there is nothing to worry about, since the computer will turn off automatically when the temperature is too high. But I can understand you worries.

Use speedfan just in case, so that the fans are always at a certain speed.

Can I install programs and let them have access to all users without having those programs installed more than once?

Sounds weird to me. Remove your mail account info from her user account, either in System Preferences or Mail itself.

This helped, not sure why it was displaying my mail on her account...

dont forget apple care

This seems so expensive, is it really worth it and do most mbp users have this plan?

This is what I'm waiting for.

2013 Base 15" rMBP + education discount + Back to School $100 gift card = Day 1

I you can get the education discount + the $100 back to school gift card? I always thought it was one or the other. I would do that if the new retinas are out in time

JayDub

I dont see that happening for a long while. At the moment, the market for the Airs (non pros) dont care about the high res screen. Personally, I think the current Air's screens are great as is.

There's no reason for it, really. The Airs need to stay cheap for as long as possible. That and the 13" Pro and Air are already blurring together..that screen needs to stay on the Pro line to differentiate beyond body styles.

Update the Air's body (which in itself doesnt need, because it still looks amazing) if they need to, update the internals..etc. Hell, a higher res (non-retina) screen might be in the cards, but IMO Retina is off the table for the Air line.

/armchairspeculation

I dont see that happening for a long while. At the moment, the market for the Airs (non pros) dont care about the high res screen. Personally, I think the current Air's screens are great as is.

There's no reason for it, really. The Airs need to stay cheap for as long as possible. That and the 13" Pro and Air are already blurring together..that screen needs to stay on the Pro line to differentiate beyond body styles.

Update the Air's body (which in itself doesnt need, because it still looks amazing) if they need to, update the internals..etc. Hell, a higher res (non-retina) screen might be in the cards, but IMO Retina is off the table for the Air line.

/armchairspeculation

The resolution on the air is higher then my 13"MBP anyway, also I never heard negative complaints about the airs resolution like I have for the 13" pros

Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I would seriously consider the 13" Air if it had a higher-res screen. My current laptop, from 2007 and needing replacement, has a 1440x900 display.

despite the small resolution of the 13" MBP, i can still see a lot. i think the text is a lot smaller? i dont know. i feel like i see more things for example on photoshop menus and stuff on 1280 x 800 than i did on my old 1440 x 900 dell.

Top Bottom