• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Is the MBA not powerful enough to run Chrome or something? The scrolling is so laggy in Chrome compared to Safari.

I have a 2011 base MBA and I'm a heavy Chrome user and web developer. I haven't had any issues.

Mindwipe

So I just jumped on a iMac 27", This thing is ginormous.

Anything I should know/avoid for a new user?

I got a 3TB HDD as I would like to set aside 1TB for Windows 7 Pro for applications I need for work. So I guess I need to figure that out and I would like a DVD-+RW. I saw the Apple SuperDrive but I thought I woud check to see if I could pick up a USB Blu-Ray reader plus DVD-+RW? Any suggestions or known models that work well.

Any tips, apps, guides, etc... Lay it on me!

You certainly can find a third party USB blu-ray drive, Samsung make one -http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Retail-External-Blu-Ray-Writer/dp/B005M3UIS4. I think HP have a similar model that's read only for Blu-ray.

I'm just about finished transferring everything from my old PC to my 27inch Mac. Except for getting my iPhone to sync. Dear god, how has Apple made an experience this awful?

Guess Who

Banned
I'm just about finished transferring everything from my old PC to my 27inch Mac. Except for getting my iPhone to sync. Dear god, how has Apple made an experience this awful?

What are you stuck on here? Just make sure you've gotten everything moved from your old PC to your iMac (and showing up in the iTunes library), and sync like usual.

giga

Is there a device that lets me do a "wireless" HDMI out From my retina MacBook Pro to a TV. Apple TV does this with ios devices, but I don't see it doing it for Mac OSx. Windows computers also have this with what I believe is widi technology.
AirPlay was added in 10.8.

Hi guys.

I have an issue with my Time Capsule.

I am using the TC as my wireless internet router and getting some really good speeds when I am close to it, around 120mbit per second. but as soon as I walk around 5 meters away from the TC, the signal strenght drops pretty bad to around two-three bars and I get irregular speeds.

Is there a way of upping the signal strenght on the TC?

5 meters away from the TC is not far... its actually pretty strange that the signal strenght on it is so weak.

Is there a device that lets me do a "wireless" HDMI out From my retina MacBook Pro to a TV. Apple TV does this with ios devices, but I don't see it doing it for Mac OSx. Windows computers also have this with what I believe is widi technology.

You can AirPlay mirror your entire screen to an Apple TV. That feature is built right in to Mountain Lion.

buhdeh

I have a 2011 base MBA and I'm a heavy Chrome user and web developer. I haven't had any issues.

No issues here either.

The hell. The scrolling is so much slower than Safari on my 2012 MBA.

I google'd and the advice was to enable GPU acceleration in about:flags. Did that and the scrolling is MUCH faster. Hope there aren't any downsides to enabling this. Chrome scrolls perfectly fine on my PC without these options enabled.

Deku Tree

Hi guys.

I have an issue with my Time Capsule.

I am using the TC as my wireless internet router and getting some really good speeds when I am close to it, around 120mbit per second. but as soon as I walk around 5 meters away from the TC, the signal strenght drops pretty bad to around two-three bars and I get irregular speeds.

Is there a way of upping the signal strenght on the TC?

5 meters away from the TC is not far... its actually pretty strange that the signal strenght on it is so weak.

That doesn't sound right. It could be because there is a lot of interference nearby (say from other WiFi networks or other stuff using the same bands).

Read this to do WiFi diagnostics:
http://www.macworld.com/article/201...-wireless-network-with-wi-fi-diagnostics.html

Sometimes also doing a factory reset helps.

Otherwise you might have a bad time capsule in which case I would try to return it if possible.

EDIT: Also if your only recently purchased your time capsule then you can call AppleCare to get troubleshooting advice. Those people are usually very good.

Presco

Planned on waiting for Haswell but was offered a great deal on 2012 rMBP today.

2.6 / 8 / 512 for $2000. Purchased new March 24th, comes with receipt.

Would you buy it MACGaf?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Planned on waiting for Haswell but was offered a great deal on 2012 rMBP today.

2.6 / 8 / 512 for $2000. Purchased new March 24th, comes with receipt.

Would you buy it MACGaf?
This passed March 24th? Why are they selling it? That's pretty much the price it costs from Apple though. 2.6 means it's 13" and the 512GB drive costs $300 which brings it to $2000 anyway. It's not a deal. It's regular price. I'd wait.

Presco

This passed March 24th? Why are they selling it? That's pretty much the price it costs from Apple though. 2.6 means it's 13" and the 512GB drive costs $300 which brings it to $2000 anyway. It's not a deal. It's regular price. I'd wait.

I just checked on apple.com. It's $1999 new.

Sorry, it's a 15'

Originally received the 13' in early March as a gift, then decided to upgrade to the 15' on March 24th. He's now outside of the return window. It's the 2012 model but warranty started on the 24th.

Sorry, it's a 15'

Originally received the 13' in early March as a gift, then decided to upgrade to the 15' on March 24th. He's now outside of the return window. It's the 2012 model but warranty started on the 24th.

That's a savings of about $119 before dealing with taxes... not a bad way to save a few hundred.

I'd verify the support availability with the serial # before turning over any funds, though.

Presco

That's a savings of about $119 before dealing with taxes... not a bad way to save a few hundred.

I'd verify the support availability with the serial # before turning over any funds, though.

My thinking as well. Refurb goes for $2119 + 13% tax here. I've already verified the serial.

I'm just second guessing not going for something with 16GB of ram and/or whatever real world benefits Haswell actually brings.

My thinking as well. Refurb goes for $2119 + 13% tax here. I've already verified the serial.

I'm just second guessing not going for something with 16GB of ram and/or whatever real world benefits Haswell actually brings.

Sometimes I regret not getting 16GB of ram with my retina.. but I've been using it run to virtual machines. If I wasn't doing that, I don't think I'd ever come close to using up 8 GB.

Oh.. one other thing you may want to check for, now that I'm thinking about it...

check the display manufacturer using this terminal command -

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If the model number of the display doesn't come back as LSN (samsung), I wouldn't buy it. If he bought it that recently, it's probably a samsung model anyway, but the LGs in particular have had several image retention problems. I personally returned one full notebook and had a display assembly replaced on my current one before I ended up with a problem free display.

muddream

Banned
I wouldn't even buy one for $1500 this close to the refresh considering the screen and GPU issues.
Well, I would buy it and then sell it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sorry, it's a 15'

Ah, yes I see. It is indeed a first revision model, not one of the new updates from early this year. So why is he selling it so soon? Especially after going from the 13" to the 15" and now wanting to sell the 15" in the span of a month and a half.

Still, the savings aren't much and if you can hold off I would. But if you don't want to wait, go ahead and get it since you can still get a warranty with no problem. You'll just save a little bit. Personally I'm waiting. He can still get a large amount on eBay/Craigslist if he wants to if you don't take it.

Gila

Alright this is annoying me now. Watching video's with Chrome sucks on my Mac, it lags everytime - any site (YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix). It's fine on Safari but I want to use Chrome since I'm so used to it. Anyone know what's happening? I've read a few recent posts that many people are having Chrome issues as well.

I'm not sure how it would be a Flash problem being that I've never touched Flash settings, and I don't know how the OS can be causing this. This is a new computer so I would assume everything would be alright..

Presco

Sometimes I regret not getting 16GB of ram with my retina.. but I've been using it run to virtual machines. If I wasn't doing that, I don't think I'd ever come close to using up 8 GB.

Oh.. one other thing you may want to check for, now that I'm thinking about it...

check the display manufacturer using this terminal command -

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If the model number of the display doesn't come back as LSN (samsung), I wouldn't buy it. If he bought it that recently, it's probably a samsung model anyway, but the LGs in particular have had several image retention problems. I personally returned one full notebook and had a display assembly replaced on my current one before I ended up with a problem free display.

I will be using bootcamp or VMs for some tasks so this is a concern of mine as well. Thanks for the input, and I'll definitely check the screen.

I wouldn't even buy one for $1500 this close to the refresh considering the screen and GPU issues.
Well, I would buy it and then sell it.

My feeling is that unless there's a price drop on the next rMBP, I can easily sell it in a few months for close to what I'm paying if the Haswell models are too good to pass up.

Ah, yes I see. It is indeed a first revision model, not one of the new updates from early this year. So why is he selling it so soon? Especially after going from the 13" to the 15" and now wanting to sell the 15" in the span of a month and a half.

Still, the savings aren't much and if you can hold off I would. But if you don't want to wait, go ahead and get it since you can still get a warranty with no problem. You'll just save a little bit. Personally I'm waiting. He can still get a large amount on eBay/Craigslist if he wants to if you don't take it.

His first Mac and he didn't like the transition apparently; he just bought a Samsung yesterday. To me the savings are significant. It is $400 cheaper than the refurb, $800 cheaper than the comparable revision (and $100 to $200 cheaper than comparable Craigslist models, none of which come with a receipt). To get the next gen anywhere close to this price I'll be waiting over a year from now. I've been struggling holding off for a while and now I'm heading out the country for a week at the end of April for work and really need something on the go.

Thanks for the input people, much appreciated.

Is the MBA not powerful enough to run Chrome or something? The scrolling is so laggy in Chrome compared to Safari.

Go to chrome://flags and enable GPU hardware acceleration and the two other options below it. Made a big difference on MBP. Chrome is as smooth as Safari now.

So guys, how do I go to work to install updated graphics drivers for my Macbook Pro 2011 (AMD 6750M). In bootcamp I mean.

Downloading from the amd website doesn't work because the installer tells me that I don't have a graphics card (which is wrong).

It's annoying me.

kennah

So guys, how do I go to work to install updated graphics drivers for my Macbook Pro 2011 (AMD 6750M).

Downloading from the amd website doesn't work because the installer tells me that I don't have a graphics card (which is wrong).

It's annoying me.

Try running a Software Update from the Apple Menu.

buhdeh

Go to chrome://flags and enable GPU hardware acceleration and the two other options below it. Made a big difference on MBP. Chrome is as smooth as Safari now.

Yeah, did that and it's much smoother now. Strange that other people seem to have no problems without enabling it though.

rc213

You certainly can find a third party USB blu-ray drive, Samsung make one -http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Retail-External-Blu-Ray-Writer/dp/B005M3UIS4. I think HP have a similar model that's read only for Blu-ray.

Thanks I will check that out.

Is there a thread for Mac Software?

gokieks

Chrome has by far the best syncing between devices of any browser, enough extensions to fulfill most people's needs (though still nowhere close to Firefox), quick implementation of new features (for what it's worth), and good performance.

As someone who uses devices across multiple platforms (iOS, Android, OS X, Windows, and occasionally Linux), using Safari is simply not an option at all - it doesn't exist on some platforms, and it's downright terrible even on some where it does (i.e. Windows).

Just bought the wireless keyboard and magic trackpad to go along with my Air and the 23 inch monitor I have for my desktop and it's wonderful. The keyboard is much better (though that's due to space, i know) and the magic trackpad is, well, the trackpad with a larger amount of space. What's not to love?

Well worth it IMO. And it pairs instantly with the computer right out of the box. It's nice.

nib95

Banned
Chrome has by far the best syncing between devices of any browser, enough extensions to fulfill most people's needs (though still nowhere close to Firefox), quick implementation of new features (for what it's worth), and good performance.

As someone who uses devices across multiple platforms (iOS, Android, OS X, Windows, and occasionally Linux), using Safari is simply not an option at all - it doesn't exist on some platforms, and it's downright terrible even on some where it does (i.e. Windows).

On Mac's (MBPr) I find Safari much better than Chrome. It's quicker, uses FAR less ram, and more importantly is considerably less battery intensive. I get like double the battery use using Safari over Chrome. Which is a shame, because I too like having all my Chrome stuff synced (bookmarks etc).

Deku Tree

Xmarks works pretty good for syncing in safari.

It is sad that iCloud sucks so bad for syncing bookmarks. I'd love to use it but it just sucks.

Glad that Xmarks still works good though.

Just bought the wireless keyboard and magic trackpad to go along with my Air and the 23 inch monitor I have for my desktop and it's wonderful. The keyboard is much better (though that's due to space, i know) and the magic trackpad is, well, the trackpad with a larger amount of space. What's not to love?

Well worth it IMO. And it pairs instantly with the computer right out of the box. It's nice.

if your synching your MBA to your HDTV by airplay(apple tv) its really nice to surf using this: http://twelvesouth.com/products/magicwand/

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
IMO, I don't know why anyone would want to use chrome on a MAC. Safari to me is an overwhelmingly great web browsing experience.

Dev tools are way better in Chrome. Biggest reason for me.

I also find that it's faster, renders websites and handles JS better (fewer bugs with both), and has a lower footprint. But I realize some of that is subjective and anecdotal.

Chris R

I also find that it's faster, renders websites and handles JS better (fewer bugs with both), and has a lower footprint. But I realize some of that is subjective and anecdotal.

Exactly the same for me. Plus, Chrome is what I'm used to on Windows as well. Safari is my backup browser on my mac though, haven't bothered installing Firefox :p

nib95

Banned

Really? On both my Mac's Chrome uses far more memory. I can't comment on the dev tools stuff, but I know recently I was tinkering with some Jquery and FanxyBox code for a portfolio gallery, and it was Chrome that couldn't properly render the animation differences when I was tinkering with different animation loop and blend options. Though overall, it's quite possible Chrome is much better with dev tools. I guess it does make sense, and I would expect google to be better on that front over Apple.

Deku Tree

When I switched to a rMBP with 256GB SSD, I had to remove Chrome because it was so bulky. Apparently if you keep updating Chrome over many years with lots of new versions the program gets very large because it never deletes the old versions. My copy of Chrome was over 15GB in my applications folder when I deleted it!!!

By comparison Safari is 29.4 MB in my applications folder...

Top Bottom