• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

iMacs do have a video in mode, but you would need an HDMI to Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt adapter for it to work. There's none of these on the market that I know of. Apparently there were some legal troubles with the HDMI spec?
You do have the option of using a video capture box, but you're going to introduce significant lag. So... probably not, or not very well, anyway.

monoprice makes a HDMI to mini display port cable. works well enough though it feels slightly laggy. not sure if its my macs underpowered or something with the cable.

What are you specs? I have a 2011 model

i have a 2012 regular MBP, i5 and 16GB ram. i use a external monitor quite often and even though it runs well sometimes you can notice things like resizing windows looking and feeling slightly choppier than when i do it without the external display.

im not sure if its the HD 4000 not enough to drive 1920x1080 or the cable is just low quality or something. it doesnt bother me much to be honest.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
But I don't see a Pebber flash player in plugins. =/

iLDcEtg1Mqcwh.png

GWX

My Mac mini with Intel HD4000 is handles tasks such as resizing windows, bringing up Mission Control, scrolling on Safari or switching between full screen apps in 1080p with pretty smooth animations. iTunes 11, however, is clunky as shit, as it is at any resolution or in my gaming Windows PC. Crappy software, really.

I found that my Mac mini wasn't super smooth when I was using a 2560x1440 monitor. Not unusable by any stretch, but noticeably choppy sometimes while scrolling.

I found that my Mac mini wasn't super smooth when I was using a 2560x1440 monitor. Not unusable by any stretch, but noticeably choppy sometimes while scrolling.

2011 or 2012? Was it the one with the AMD Radeon 6630M chip?

When the 2013 Mac mini comes out, you will definitely need to buy a quad-core model in my view to use the monitor. The GT2 graphics should be able to run it though the GT3 and GT3e should do just fine. Assuming the $599 model uses a dual-core processor, I would pass on it.

mkenyon

Banned
I've had the chance to play around with a 13" MBP Retina for the last 4 days.

I spend all of my free time building and playing on computers. 120hz screens, huge IPS panels, testing stuff, liquid cooling stuff, modding, etc.

I only say the above to preface this, which is that this is simply the best engineered piece of tech I've ever used in my life. Why anyone would consider buying a different laptop is beyond me. Well done, Apple.

dmshaposv

Hi guys,

Is a discontinued 24" Apple LED cinema display still worth a buy at $550 from the used market? seems like it's essentially the same screen as its 27" brother and the current thunderbolt display.

If im not wrong, doesnt this screen also come with a magsafe dock connector?

Or should I just wait and save for a 27" thunderbolt display?

(Im using a 15" Retina MBP).

TUSR

Banned
Hi guys,

Is a discontinued 24" Apple LED cinema display still worth a buy at $550 from the used market? seems like it's essentially the same screen as its 27" brother and the current thunderbolt display.

$550 for a 24" isn't worth it. You'll need an adapter for your magsafe 2->1

Im in the same boat as you, waiting for a TB Display refresh with USB 3.0

coldfoot

Banned
Hi guys,

Neither, get this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2

dmshaposv

$550 for a 24" isn't worth it. You'll need an adapter for your magsafe 2->1

Im in the same boat as you, waiting for a TB Display refresh with USB 3.0

I really would like that too, but I don't see it being any less than $999. :(
Apple's display are just so damn expensive! I really don't want to exceed the $450 - $550 budget I've kept aside.

At least I can hook up to the 24" with a mini-display/thunderbolt cable, and still use the usb 3.0 ports on my retina MBP? or not?

I'm vary of these Korean 27" IPS displays as a friend bought one of these and said it gave him issues. :/

muddream

Banned
If you don't want to go the Korean route, a new Dell IPS monitor is probably a smarter choice than a 3 year old used Apple cinema display with outdated ports.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Gaf is the Mac book pro 13 with i7 and hd 4000 pales in comparison with the retina 15. Inch ?

Baconbitz

Banned
I've seen something for the macbook pro that brings all of the "plugs" to the side. Would that work on an iMac? It's really a pain to reach the ethernet port, USB ports, and all.

Gaf is the Mac book pro 13 with i7 and hd 4000 pales in comparison with the retina 15. Inch ?

Without a doubt the 15" RMBP is miles ahead of the 13" MBP. You couldn't even pay me to get a MBP 13" anymore. I would honestly only consider a 13" MBA, 15" MBP or 15" RMBP at this point. the 11" MBA is too small, the 13" MBP is outclassed, and the 13" RMBP is not up to spec against the 15" RMBP.

The only reasons to get a 13" MBP is money (less expensive), wanting all of the ports (Gigabit Ethernet, Firewire 800, Kensington Lock) and Superdrive built into the machine, and/or you like the 13" size. In every other way, the 15" RMBP is miles ahead. I'm talking a superior CPU, GPU, SSD, Display, etc. Plus, you can add in the Gigabit ethernet, Firewire 800, and Superdrive via external adapters/drive so you aren't missing too much.

TLDR - Get the 15" RMBP. It's an amazing machine and it's pretty much superior to the 13" MBP in almost every way.

WJD

Managed to wrangle a deal for a 21" iMac (2010) at £300 so I'll be joining the Mac club very soon. My question is, considering this is now a 3 year old machine is there anything I could/should do to bring it a bit closer to current specs or is there not really that much difference? I'm a Mac virgin so apologies if these questions sound ignorant.

Not sure how necessary these are, but the specs:

3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400
500gb HDD

Cheers!

All you can really do is throw in as much RAM as it'll take, and an SSD. That said, an iMac is quite difficult to get into and change the hard drive. The RAM should be reasonably easy I think.

So according to SemiAccurate (subscribers only) they apparently know what GPU is going into the MacBook Pro and it would seem AMD won the bid with their Sea Islands series. I tried to Google it but the info didn't seem to leak elsewhere so no idea what it is exactly and I'm not going to pay $1,000 a year for a subscription.

So according to SemiAccurate (subscribers only) they apparently know what GPU is going into the MacBook Pro and it would seem AMD won the bid with their Sea Islands series. I tried to Google it but the info didn't seem to leak elsewhere so no idea what it is exactly and I'm not going to pay $1,000 a year for a subscription.

what?

its not really news that Apple changes between Nvidia and ATI for every gen. site might just be fishing for subs.

what?

its not really news that Apple changes between Nvidia and ATI for every gen. site might just be fishing for subs.

Yeah honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they were doing just that. If it was say $20 a month, I might take the plunge.

I visit a lot of tech sites including Mac news sites though places such as Techspot, XbitLabs, Anandtech, etc. and none of them have any info on this.

what do you plan on doing with them?

the retina 15 inch is definitely in a league of its own. its probably the best computer on the planet at this moment. but if you dont have any professional use for it and only need a mac for casual use the 13 MBP will probably be a better option for you considering how much cheaper it is. you can also upgrade the RAM and HDD yourself later on if you want to whereas on the macbook air and retina you cant as its soldered in.

muddream

Banned
It's the best computer in the world for the 0.1% who a) require a powerful laptop on their job and b) aren't bothered by image retention issues and an underwhelming iGPU in a $2500 product. Most professionals do their work on one or more 27"+ screens and most casual users don't need the rMBP's power and would consider a 15" laptop too large on the go. It'll probably be the best engineered computer after the update gets rid of the 1st gen technical issues, but even then it's mainly a vanity purchase because it solves issues that don't exist (i.e. irrational hate for cloud computing and/or owning more than one device).

So my macbook pro had a wrench fall on it. (My 5 key broke off) The screen went grey immediately. Booted back up and everything seemed normal. A week later i try to boot windows through bootcamp and it keeps freezing on the welcome screen. I decide to get rid of my windows partition after not having any luck fixing that. Now yesterday, I was downloading a large 30gb file when it suddenly freezes. Try to boot back up and it stays on gray apple screen. Today i was able to log in although it was extremely slow and it would blink into gray screen every few seconds. I was able to get important files through a flash drive at a rate of 1gb/hour.(SLOW!!!)

Any idea what could be wrong? I have a feeling the hard drive failed but I dont wanna buy a new one just to find out its not the issue. Went through the apple hardware test and it found no issues.

TUSR

Banned
So my macbook pro had a wrench fall on it. (My 5 key broke off) The screen went grey immediately. Booted back up and everything seemed normal. A week later i try to boot windows through bootcamp and it keeps freezing on the welcome screen. I decide to get rid of my windows partition after not having any luck fixing that. Now yesterday, I was downloading a large 30gb file when it suddenly freezes. Try to boot back up and it stays on gray apple screen. Today i was able to log in although it was extremely slow and it would blink into gray screen every few seconds. I was able to get important files through a flash drive at a rate of 1gb/hour.(SLOW!!!)

Any idea what could be wrong? I have a feeling the hard drive failed but I dont wanna buy a new one just to find out its not the issue. Went through the apple hardware test and it found no issues.

Pretty sure you broke something else, typically the hard drives are located where you rest your wrists. Checkout the layout on ifixit or something and see what exactly it hit. But im gonna guess logic board.

Aroo

Neo Member
Without a doubt the 15" RMBP is miles ahead of the 13" MBP. You couldn't even pay me to get a MBP 13" anymore. I would honestly only consider a 13" MBA, 15" MBP or 15" RMBP at this point. the 11" MBA is too small, the 13" MBP is outclassed, and the 13" RMBP is not up to spec against the 15" RMBP.

The only reasons to get a 13" MBP is money (less expensive), wanting all of the ports (Gigabit Ethernet, Firewire 800, Kensington Lock) and Superdrive built into the machine, and/or you like the 13" size. In every other way, the 15" RMBP is miles ahead. I'm talking a superior CPU, GPU, SSD, Display, etc. Plus, you can add in the Gigabit ethernet, Firewire 800, and Superdrive via external adapters/drive so you aren't missing too much.

TLDR - Get the 15" RMBP. It's an amazing machine and it's pretty much superior to the 13" MBP in almost every way.

Speak for yourself. :)

Then again, the question wasn't any better. Aside from feeling content that you havethe latest and greatest, what do you need the computer for in the first place?

If you need a mobile computer with great battery life, the r/MBP's 13 with the highest clock CPU is quite the machine. Amazingly, those high clocked dual cores are quite efficient. They get better battery life then their slower CPU clocked counter parts because of how quick they power up and power down after completing task. Love that I can pick up the MBP13 and use it anywhere (comes in handy when i'm on deadline and need to finish testing code.)

That also leads me to my second question, how do you intend to use your notebook computer? How long would you like to keep using the same computer?

I personally will be switching to a 13" rMBP this fall because of the support for 3 displays (the regular 13"s only support two unless you daisy chain Thunderbolt displays.) I like the idea of coming home and just plugging in my notebook to my DELL 2413's and continuing to code there. As opposed to copying things over my desktop.( Unfortunately the cloud is not an option when working with code from work.) Dislike switching MBPs (13" Feb 2011 i7 2.7 GHz SB) however I want to consolidate my programming to just the MBP while leaving the desktop for gaming and for compute heavy projects.

kennah

Has anyone got that OptiBay kit for installing an additional hard drive in place of the CD drive for Macbooks? A guy at the Apple store told me about it since my warranty is up. Sound pretty sweet. http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OBSXGB-UNB

Have used the equivalent off eBay. That's a better price then they had when I was looking before Christmas. Put the SSD (or boot HDD if you're a dinosaur luddite with an appropriate use-case) in the HDD slot and the non-boot HDD in the optical bay.

My eBay special has caused one edge of the bottom case to sit proud of the rest, but I guess that's the cost of $10 parts from Hong Kong.

Fusion Drive is awesome.

The Chef

Awesome, thanks.

I was thinking I would get a SSD for my main drive and just move my current 350gb HDD drive to the secondary spot.

How do I install Mountain Lion on the SSD and transfer my apps from the other drive over? I have absolutely no clue where to begin. Maybe download a copy of Mountain Lion from the App store and then make a bootable USB?

kennah

Awesome, thanks.

I was thinking I would get a SSD for my main drive and just move my current 350gb HDD drive to the secondary spot.

How do I install Mountain Lion on the SSD and transfer my apps from the other drive over? I have absolutely no clue where to begin. Maybe download a copy of Mountain Lion from the App store and then make a bootable USB?

WOrk just fine in a 2010

And the easiest way is if you have a TIme Machine backup, you can select to restore from it right in the install menu. But yes, put mountain lion on a USB stick.

Fairly straight forward.

You want some bootable OS/installer to build a Fusion Drive if you're going to, and to migrate data.

You have a backup, right?

The Chef

Im doing a time machine backup right now.
I downloaded the Mountain Lion app from the app store...but can I make a bootable USB from that?

kennah

Im doing a time machine backup right now.
I downloaded the Mountain Lion app from the app store...but can I make a bootable USB from that?

Yes, you need to show package contents and then use DIsk Utility to Restore the InstallESD.dmg to your USB stick.

Top Bottom