• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Hmmm...you should see two more lines. Try this?

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

or this:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Nothing shows up with the first one and the second one shows the same, Color LCD

Decided to get the last year's Ivybridge model with 650m. I just can't admit that I'm gonna pay premium price for an incomplete model....

If you want to do anything with your machine, get 8GB. 4GB is a travesty that it's still available as a baseline. And didn't they actually add that one this year just to have a cheaper model? Get 8GB. See if BB can order the model you want. You'll regret it later if you don't.

Because think of it this way. If you were just going to be doing light things, get an Air. There's no reason to not just get an Air if you're just gonna be browsing and stuff. If you're getting a rPro, it's because you need to do big things. And in that case, you need 8GB at least.

I'm essentially going to be using it for light stuff.

I have a Hackintosh for my editing rig and haven't had a MacBook Pro in a while (I sold my 2010 version in September).

I'm starting a job right now where I do video work... I don't have to edit in the office but I'd like to have something to jot down ideas, revise scripts and be more productive.

I have a iPad Mini but I doubt that would cut it for "real" work.

I think I'm going to end up waiting a bit. My sister just replaced her 2009 MacBook Pro with an Air so she said I could use it until I have enough money saved up. I'll just slot in more RAM and switch it out to an SSD.

VPhys

Alright guys, I'm getting my first MacBook ever and abandoning Microsoft for my laptop needs. Can you help me be excited rather than fearful about this? Help me get excited in a practical way please! :S

My order: $1,179
13.3 inch Macbook Pro
2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor
8 GB DDR3 RAM; 1TB Hard Drive

I highly advise against this model. It just provides terrible value all around. Resale will also be bad. Either get the 13" air or the base rMBP.

Why not get a portable external hard drive.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Y5UV4A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was trying to hold out on a new MBP but I'm going to be working remotely a lot over the next few months due to a family crisis, so I'm probably gonna bite the bullet and get the 15 inch retina with the discrete GPU sometime soon. It's a big chunk of change but it's a beautiful machine and the last MBP I purchased was a 2007 unibody (which still works like a champ for basic web browsing and coding). Seven years of use out of a laptop is no joke, I'll be happy if I can get anywhere near that with the new one.

BROADWELLLLLL

If they follow the same concept as this year, you will have Broadwell and the next version of Iris Pro (6200 I guess) which should be a decent boost over the current 5200 but probably put it behind the 750M. Maxwell is the successor to the Kepler architecture so it'll be the 800 series and presumably the 850M with 2 GB or more.

TUSR

Banned
If they follow the same concept as this year, you will have Broadwell and the next version of Iris Pro (6200 I guess) which should be a decent boost over the current 5200 but probably put it behind the 750M. Maxwell is the successor to the Kepler architecture so it'll be the 800 series and presumably the 850M with 2 GB or more.

So we are going to have Broadwell processors with Maxwell Video cards?

muddream

Banned
Broadwell and Maxwell are both die shrinks and the fabs might not be ready in time. Next year's model could either be a huge improvement or a dud. The rumors I've been reading point towards 2014 getting a Haswell refresh instead :(

30-40% GPU performance increase with Broadwell. If Maxwell isn't out on time, Broadwell's GPU will for sure be better than Nvidia's offerings.

Broadwell and Maxwell are both die shrinks and the fabs might not be ready in time. Next year's model could either be a huge improvement or a dud. The rumors I've been reading point towards 2014 getting a Haswell refresh instead :(
Haswell refresh is for desktops. Broadwell is still on track for the first half of next year.

I will come into some money in the next couple of months, so will finally be in a position to replace my late-2007 Macbook. I am currently looking at two options, both of which come out to about the same price and was wondering if anyone would recommend one over the other.

My options are:

- Macbook Pro 13-inch: 2.4GHz with Retina display, 8GB RAM + 256GB Flash HD (£1,249.00)
- MacBook Air 13-inch: 1.3GHz, upgraded to 8GB RAM + 256GB Flash HD (£1,209.00)

There is not much of a price difference and looking at specifications alone, the Retina Pro looks a much better deal, but there may be intangibles that I have not considered that would explain the similar pricing. I won't be doing that much travelling with it, so the size/weight advantages of the Air are unlikely to come into play.

I would also like to hear experiences from users of either machine, because while the Retina display would be nice, if it leaves the OS overworked and prone to freezes (as I believe the previous Retina Pro model was famous for) I'd rather just have the Air.

VPhys

I will come into some money in the next couple of months, so will finally be in a position to replace my late-2007 Macbook. I am currently looking at two options, both of which come out to about the same price and was wondering if anyone would recommend one over the other.

My options are:

- Macbook Pro 13-inch: 2.4GHz with Retina display, 8GB RAM + 256GB Flash HD (£1,249.00)
- MacBook Air 13-inch: 1.3GHz, upgraded to 8GB RAM + 256GB Flash HD (£1,209.00)

There is not much of a price difference and looking at specifications alone, the Retina Pro looks a much better deal, but there may be intangibles that I have not considered that would explain the similar pricing. I won't be doing that much travelling with it, so the size/weight advantages of the Air are unlikely to come into play.

I would also like to hear experiences from users of either machine, because while the Retina display would be nice, if it leaves the OS overworked and prone to freezes (as I believe the previous Retina Pro model was famous for) I'd rather just have the Air.

Previous retina was not prone to freezes (at least not the 15")

Considering size/weight is not a concern, what you are looking at here is a tradeoff in "native" resolution. The air will have more viewing space at it's native res, while the retina will need to be scaled, but once scaled, text may be too small for your taste.

That said I'd still get the retina for that sharp IPS screen; scrolling more will be the tradeoff.

muddream

Banned
30-40% GPU performance increase with Broadwell. If Maxwell isn't out on time, Broadwell's GPU will for sure be better than Nvidia's offerings.

Haswell refresh is for desktops. Broadwell is still on track for the first half of next year.

Thanks for clearing that up, last article I read was speculating that they were having trouble getting down to 14nm so I figured it would affect both. I'll ditch the gaming pc as soon as Intel can give me a minimum 60fps at retina resolution in Team Fortress 2...that's my personal "good enough to game on" threshold, Broadwell could come close.

Disclaimer: I am a complete noob when it comes to Apple hardware other than the ipod classic (circa 2008) and my current 4s.

My gf and I are in the market to get an rMBP by the end of the year.
We were looking to just get the base model, but add the 512GB HDD at checkout, but it appears the online apple store (US) won't allow me to add this option. Does that mean the only way I can get the 512GB HDD is to order the most expensive model?

Additionally, we are probably going to do some video editing as a part-time hobby (also planning on picking up a Go Pro), streaming and light office work with the rMBP. What would be the ideal configuration for the processor and memory? We're paying with the education discount, so it's not an issue to add an extra couple hundred bucks here and there. Any advice would be appreciated.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Disclaimer: I am a complete noob when it comes to Apple hardware other than the ipod classic (circa 2008) and my current 4s.

My gf and I are in the market to get an rMBP by the end of the year.
We were looking to just get the base model, but add the 512GB HDD at checkout, but it appears the online apple store (US) won't allow me to add this option. Does that mean the only way I can get the 512GB HDD is to order the most expensive model?
The second model of the 13" can be configured and comes with more memory anyway. Recommended to not get less than 8GB anyway. 4 is pretty low for a pro machine.

How do I install bootcamp on my hard drive and not on my USB? Is that option even possible? I'm sorry newbie here! (I have a rMBP Fall 2013)

how much would could I sell a Macbook pro 15" guess its a 2010 model..
Intel core 2 duo
2.53GHz
4GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3

Brand new Batteri since the old one died.
also a brand new HDD installed yesterday by a official MAC service spot, , 500 GB but I dont know what kind they installed... guess its a SSD???

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Has anyone done any gaming benchmarks with the new 15" MBP with the 750 card? Seriously considering this...

I just got my refurbished retina MBP 15". Damn, the screen is otherworldly.

Like it didn't do anything for me at first but when I switched to a scaled resolution (which is also incredible looking), I definitely saw a downgrade. Damn.

It's so damn fast though for some reason mission control and other things are very choppy. Same with resizing browser and other windows and when the dock slides up from bottom.

Is this something that will go away over time? Maybe I have to make some updates?

kennah

how much would could I sell a Macbook pro 15" guess its a 2010 model..
Intel core 2 duo
2.53GHz
4GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3

Brand new Batteri since the old one died.
also a brand new HDD installed yesterday by a official MAC service spot, , 500 GB but I dont know what kind they installed... guess its a SSD???

It wouldn't be an ssd. And you would be lucky to get $600 for your machine.

leng jai

I just got my refurbished retina MBP 15". Damn, the screen is otherworldly.

Like it didn't do anything for me at first but when I switched to a scaled resolution (which is also incredible looking), I definitely saw a downgrade. Damn.

It's so damn fast though for some reason mission control and other things are very choppy. Same with resizing browser and other windows and when the dock slides up from bottom.

Is this something that will go away over time? Maybe I have to make some updates?

Native looks ridiculously big on a 13 and I can't say I can notice much of a difference in clarity when I scale it up one notch.

Will be getting a MacBook sometime early next year. Right now debating between an Air and a rMBP. The battery life and weight makes me want an Air, but dat screen on the rMBP. Many reviews point to performance being close to the same. Just one the fence.

Native looks ridiculously big on a 13 and I can't say I can notice much of a difference in clarity when I scale it up one notch.

Yeah, native is too big but damn is it gorgeous. I'll probably only use native only during web browsing but for work I'm going back to scaled or external display.

I'm using my old 2012 regular MBP next to the retina. Ouch. I'm spoiled already! Ugh lol

leng jai

Will be getting a MacBook sometime early next year. Right now debating between an Air and a rMBP. The battery life and weight makes me want an Air, but dat screen on the rMBP. Many reviews point to performance being close to the same. Just one the fence.

Well I've just come from a 13inch Air to my current MBPr so here's my take:

- Weight wise there's still a discernible difference though it's been drastically reduced. The footprint of the MBPr is actually smaller too and the thickness is the equivalent to the largest point on the Air (which means that all the bags that were made for the Air still fit the MPBr).

- Speaker wise the MBPr is significantly better. Watching youtube clips and listening to music is far more enjoyable compared to the Air where I was straining get enough volume at times.

- No backlit keyboard on the Air.

- How much battery life do you need? I get anywhere from 8-12 hours depending on what I'm doing on the MBPr. On the Air it's about +2 hour difference.

- Screen obviously. The disparity really is massive - IMO worth the upgrade alone. Once you put them side by side the Air looks grainy despite having a nice resolution itself. Glossy screen is also much nicer than the matte version I find.

It's basically a toss up between portability/battery compared to performance while you're actually using it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I actually disable the back light. It really bothers me, and I feel like the whole thing gets warmer when it's on.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh? My 2011 model doesn't have backlit keys.

Then it is broken or you have the 2010 model.
Yeah. The 2011 model definitely had them. I do recall the 2010 model not having them and it being a bummer. But the 2011 was the first one I had and it definitely had them. (My 2010 Pro had them too which is why the Air missing them was a big deal at the time.)

If your keyboard doesn't have the keyboard brightness keys (F5 and F6 on my 2012 model) then it's definitely a 2010.

Either way, Airs have had them for a few years now. They're standard now on all MacBooks.

Fuchsdh

Backlit keyboards have been standard on Pros since, what, 2003 or so?

I can't say I ever really used it on my Pro though. I'm good enough at touch-typing it's not really necessary, and generally the illumination from my screen is enough.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In a shitty move. Someone stole my iPad mini with its case out of my car. I brought it to work and forgot to bring it into the building which is why the door was unlocked. Normally I lock it when I leave something in there but since my mind thought I had it with me I didn't. I realized it as soon as I got into the building but since it was busy I said I'd wait and check later. Two hours later I go out and it's gone.

Just after I made my decision to buy my new Retina Pro On Tuesday. That sucks. So much. I wasn't planning on upgrading to new model until next fall. Guess that plan has been moved up.

I did open Find My iPad though and if the guy tries to connect it to a network it'll tell me where it is at least. Not that it guarantees I'll get it back. But at least I can erase it remotely too. I set it to lock and display a message when it happens along with my phone number. Not that it'll be returned. Can I erase it and also have it show a message? Or will erasing it prevent the message from showing?

I did open Find My iPad though and if the guy tries to connect it to a network it'll tell me where it is at least. Not that it guarantees I'll get it back. But at least I can erase it remotely too. I set it to lock and display a message when it happens along with my phone number. Not that it'll be returned. Can I erase it and also have it show a message? Or will erasing it prevent the message from showing?

At least with Activation Lock you have the satisfaction of knowing it's basically a brick unless they have your Apple ID and password. I _think_ your message will come up even if they DFU restore it, as even a completely wiped device is still subject to to unlocking for activation.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
At least with Activation Lock you have the satisfaction of knowing it's basically a brick unless they have your Apple ID and password. I _think_ your message will come up even if they DFU restore it, as even a completely wiped device is still subject to to unlocking for activation.
According to the Erase iPad screen it says a fully erased device can't be tracked. So I won't use that until I am fully sure I'm not getting it back. I'm not holding my breath. If they're smart, they restored it as soon as they got home. I am hoping that they connect it to WiFi sometime tonight or tomorrow. I'd be curious to see where it shows up on the map when it does. If only it was the 3G model, I'd know where it was now. lol

VPhys

Wait, you cannot hard reset an ipad without the apple id and password?

According to the Erase iPad screen it says a fully erased device can't be tracked. So I won't use that until I am fully sure I'm not getting it back. I'm not holding my breath. If they're smart, they restored it as soon as they got home. I am hoping that they connect it to WiFi sometime tonight or tomorrow. I'd be curious to see where it shows up on the map when it does. If only it was the 3G model, I'd know where it was now. lol

This is the fundamental problem with wifi only models.

But wait, how will they even connect to a network if they don't have your password to unlock the device?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
But wait, how will they even connect to a network if they don't have your password to unlock the device?
It won't lock until they connect to a router. So as soon as they try to connect to their network it'll lock right up.

Unless they restore it to factory settings. But since they don't have my lightning cable they'll have a problem.

Edit: Does an iOS device require an internet connection to restore to factory settings?

Fuchsdh

It won't lock until they connect to a router. So as soon as they try to connect to their network it'll lock right up.

Unless they restore it to factory settings. But since they don't have my lightning cable they'll have a problem.

Edit: Does an iOS device require an internet connection to restore to factory settings?
I would imagine so.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I would imagine so.
I want to do a test. I have an old iPod 4G that's on iOS6 that I don't use. I'm going to set it up and then turn off WiFi and see if it asks for internet.

I'd feel better if I knew they couldn't use it at all.

Edit: Nope. It didn't ask me to connect to WiFi in order to restore. It must have an OS install package on the drive. That sucks. They could have restored it by now.

Edit: New question. I smartly wrote down my iPad's serial number in MacTracker. Is there anything I can do with that? I heard with Macs at least they'll keep the serial number in a list and if someone comes in with a machine that matches it, say to get it repaired or serviced, they could tell it was stolen. Would they do it with an iPad? I doubt the person would take it in to have it repaired since it works fine, but if they ever eventually did. Do repair personal always check this stuff when starting a repair or service?

Also, I didn't realize until I got home that the new Retina iPad mini isn't even out yet! I won't even be able to purchase a replacement for a few weeks! All Apple's site says is "coming later in November". Later. As in "Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week. Probably November 30th." *sigh*

Hello Apple GAF, I come to you today to understand more about my Apple problems. The main hard drive on my Mac Pro Tower is having I/O Errors and this is the second time SMARTreporter has notified me of this. I have backed up the main drive on another drive, but I know I can't just switch them, due to it not being an Apple made hard drive. Is my main hard drive's life coming to an end or do I need to look at this from another angle?

I'd feel better if I knew they couldn't use it at all.

Feel better.

With iOS 7, Find My iPhone includes a new feature called Activation Lock, which makes it more difficult for anyone else to use or sell your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if you ever lose it. It starts working the moment you turn on Find My iPhone in iOS 7. With Activation Lock, your Apple ID and password will be required before anyone can:

• Turn off Find My iPhone on your device
  • Erase your device
  • Reactivate and use your device

This can help you keep your device secure, even if it is in the wrong hands, and can improve your chances of recovering it. Even if you erase your device remotely, Activation Lock can continue to deter anyone from reactivating your device without your permission. All you need to do is keep Find My iPhone turned on, and remember your Apple ID and password.

If you ever misplace your device&#8212;whether it&#8217;s just lost or you think it may have been stolen&#8212;you should put it into Lost Mode immediately using Find My iPhone.

Lost Mode locks your screen with a four-digit passcode and lets you display a custom message with your phone number to help you get it back. You can also remotely erase your device if needed, and your custom message will continue to display even after the device is erased.

While Activation Lock works in the background to make it more difficult for someone to use or sell your missing device, Lost Mode clearly indicates to anyone who finds your device that it still belongs to you and can&#8217;t be reactivated without your password.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

I smartly wrote down my iPad's serial number in MacTracker. Is there anything I can do with that? I heard with Macs at least they'll keep the serial number in a list and if someone comes in with a machine that matches it, say to get it repaired or serviced, they could tell it was stolen. Would they do it with an iPad? I doubt the person would take it in to have it repaired since it works fine, but if they ever eventually did. Do repair personal always check this stuff when starting a repair or service?

Keep it attached to your account and in lost mode and you're set. My guess: they'll sell it to some fool who'll then contact you wanting to get it unlocked. Two things will happen from now on that will make life interesting:

1) Stolen devices are way more likely to be retrieved now with activation lock
2) People forgetting their Apple ID passwords and locking themselves out of their own devices is going to be a lot of fun

Fuchsdh

Hello Apple GAF, I come to you today to understand more about my Apple problems. The main hard drive on my Mac Pro Tower is having I/O Errors and this is the second time SMARTreporter has notified me of this. I have backed up the main drive on another drive, but I know I can't just switch them, due to it not being an Apple made hard drive. Is my main hard drive's life coming to an end or do I need to look at this from another angle?

You can use any hard drive as your boot drive; it just needs to be formatted properly and a copy of OS X installed on it. Download Lion Diskmaker and you can create a bootable copy of OSX install on a thumb drive. If your current drive keeps giving you errors it's best to do that sooner rather than later.

kennah

As others have said, Mac Pros don't care what hard drive you have and are super easy to swap. Just pull the bay out and put a new drive in. You can even have up to four in the case.

Kaladin

Hello AppleGaf?......MacGaf?....whatever. I'm considering joining you in the near future. I'm considering a Mac Mini since I already have my own monitors, but I noticed they're probably due for a refresh soon.

Anyone know how long that might be? If it's Spring, I maybe can wait, but if it's Summer, I could go ahead and grab one.

Deku Tree

Hello AppleGaf?......MacGaf?....whatever. I'm considering joining you in the near future. I'm considering a Mac Mini since I already have my own monitors, but I noticed they're probably due for a refresh soon.

Anyone know how long that might be? If it's Spring, I maybe can wait, but if it's Summer, I could go ahead and grab one.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Mini

Otherwise your guess is as good as anyone else's.

Top Bottom