• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

gokieks

Looks like about 1500-1600 for mine.

There is no way that is right. A 2012 rMBP with 512GB SSD gets a Gazelle offer of like $1300.

E: a "Apple MacBook Pro (6,2) Core i7 2.80 GHz 15" 500GB (2010)" in flawless condition gets a $600 offer from Gazelle. Upgraded screen and hard drive would add maybe $100. I have no idea how you got to $1500.

dark_chris

There is no way that is right. A 2012 rMBP with 512GB SSD gets a Gazelle offer of like $1300.

E: a "Apple MacBook Pro (6,2) Core i7 2.80 GHz 15" 500GB (2010)" in flawless condition gets a $600 offer from Gazelle. Upgraded screen and hard drive would add maybe $100. I have no idea how you got to $1500.

I did my math wrong. Sorry.

Also, besides this. Im planning on wanting to get the Retina.
Ive never had a computer without a graphics card and i'm interested in getting the 15in one, but without the graphics card. All I would be doing is photoshopping, nothing too intensive really.
Besides like rendering, would I need it for anything else?

kennah

Games and Premiere/final cut get the most out of the gpu. It would probably help photoshop but maybe not $600 help. Heh.

Frig. Want an i7 so bad over my c2duo. Can't justify the upgrade when I have an i7 at home (aaaaand work is probably getting a new Pro anyway. Eeeeeeee)

dark_chris

Games and Premiere/final cut get the most out of the gpu. It would probably help photoshop but maybe not $600 help. Heh.

Frig. Want an i7 so bad over my c2duo. Can't justify the upgrade when I have an i7 at home (aaaaand work is probably getting a new Pro anyway. Eeeeeeee)

Yeah I wouldn't use the MacBook for games or premiere stuff since I have a gaming PC and I'm real intent on getting the 15in but wanted to be sure if Photoshop or some photo program benefits from the graphics card.

japtor

Well if something uses OpenCL then the Iris Pro will benefit too (...then again if they go CUDA only Nvidia will benefit, but then it wouldn't be accelerated on the Mac Pro). Course if you configure the options on the base model to match the $2600 one, it comes out to the same price except doesn't come with the Nvidia GPU. Moot point if you're not upgrading options of course. Unless you have a specific need (and it doesn't sound like it) I wouldn't worry about it.

got my new macbook pro and i got the "freezing bug" OSX just freezes every 15 minutes or so. PC still works but keyboard and trackpad are frozen.

so much for "it just works".

Fuchsdh

I dunno if Apple has enough heft to help push OpenCL just because Adobe is so heavily in bed with Nvidia... we'll have to see if Nvidia actually makes custom cards that fit in the Mac Pro anyhow.

Ravidrath

So this isn't Mac-related, per se.

Somehow managed to get by my Windows 8 driver problem and... my key is invalid.

This copy of Windows 8 was purchased from the on-campus Microsoft store by an MS employee.

Fusebox

Banned
I bought my first Mac yesterday, got the mid-range retina 13 Macbook Pro and I'm loving it. Getting the hang of gestures and stuff for now but its a sexy bit of kit.

brian577

Banned
Need help Mac-GAF. I'm trying to give my parent's mid 2007 iMac a memory upgrade and I can't for the life of me get the memory bay screw out. I've tried varying sizes of Phillips heads but none work. Do I need a special screw driver?

Need help Mac-GAF. I'm trying to give my parent's mid 2007 iMac a memory upgrade and I can't for the life of me get the memory bay screw out. I've tried varying sizes of Phillips heads but none work. Do I need a special screw driver?

Seems like it should be Phillips #1 size, going by iFixit.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I dunno if Apple has enough heft to help push OpenCL just because Adobe is so heavily in bed with Nvidia... we'll have to see if Nvidia actually makes custom cards that fit in the Mac Pro anyhow.

The latest version of the Adobe tools is now based on OpenCL.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey, can someone here who has purchased the high end 15" Retina Pro who plays MineCraft tell me how well it runs with both GPU's? I'm very curious to see if I'll get a better framerate or if MC is just going to suck anyway. lol

Maybe someone with a 13" could also chime in.

Volotaire

Don't know if this is the best place to ask it, but is TweetDeck better as a desktop application or an extension within chrome?

Really want to get the 15" but the 13" is a lot more affordable.

How big of a difference does the extra 2" make? And how much better overall is the 15" compared to the 13"?

Deku Tree

So I have a 2010 iMac 27" 3GHz C2D.
How much faster would it get if I replaced the disk drive with an SSD
and tried to "fusion" with my current 1TB HDD?

Are there any instructions on the internet for how to do this computer surgery?

Korosenai

So, I just came home from class and my macbook was pretty warm and wouldn't turn on. I had to hold/press the power button multiple times before it came on. It's cooled down now, but still a little warm on the bottom.

What's going on with my Macbook? This is the second time this this has happened (last Friday and just now). I always close every window, shut down every application, and put it in sleep mode (close the lid) before I leave home.

Fusebox

Banned
Really want to get the 15" but the 13" is a lot more affordable.

How big of a difference does the extra 2" make? And how much better overall is the 15" compared to the 13"?

Can you try them in a store first? I went into an Apple store trying to decide between the Air, MBPr 13 and MBPr 15 and the 13 was perfect for me, but it's hard to decide for your needs.

Notebook check gives 50 fps on low settings, acceptable 24 fps on high. http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html

It should play new titles competently and older ones with plenty of room. It's a laptop card--all the usual caveats apply.

Sweet, that doesnt sound too bad at all.

I'm torn between getting an early 2013 refurb and a brand new rMBP 15".

I got like a $500 Apple gift card and I want to put that towards a rMBP. Not sure if I really need the 750M since that seems like the only valid reason to get the late 2013 model. $500 off an already discounted refurb sounds amazing.

Are the SSD speed increases that big of a deal? Will that help me with running Xcode and programming, After Effects and other Adobe Suite apps that much over the early 2013 model? Do I really need the new wifi and Thunderbolt 2? Storage size isnt something I'm concerned with and I can happily use 256GB.

Fuchsdh

Sweet, that doesnt sound too bad at all.

I'm torn between getting an early 2013 refurb and a brand new rMBP 15".

I got like a $500 Apple gift card and I want to put that towards a rMBP. Not sure if I really need the 750M since that seems like the only valid reason to get the late 2013 model. $500 off an already discounted refurb sounds amazing.

Are the SSD speed increases that big of a deal? Will that help me with running Xcode and programming, After Effects and other Adobe Suite apps that much over the early 2013 model? Do I really need the new wifi and Thunderbolt 2? Storage size isnt something I'm concerned with and I can happily use 256GB.

In terms of future-proofing the new rMBP are a good deal IMO. .ac wifi and Thunderbolt 2 will be much more useful in the future than they are now. I doubt you're going to notice crazy differences with the SSD but anything that shaves off fractions of a second here and there on almost every task is a good deal for me. Can't really speak to how much it actually would speed up Creative Suite workflows; I don't keep my scratch and disk caches on my boot (SSD) drive since I'm trying to save it from some unneeded wear and tear.

Alright guys, trying out my 3rd Mac mouse.

Just picked up one of these: http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/ultrathin-touch-mouse-t631?crid=7

It's actually quite good on OS X. I find any type of scroll wheel to be unusable so I love that this one's touch-enabled. The gestures work pretty well. The weird shape can be hard to get used to if you have large hands or use a palm grip. Fortunately, I don't have large hands and I use a fingertip grip (my PC mouse is a Razer Abyssus). Only downside is it doesn't work with BTT.

If anyone cares I currently use the magic trackpad but I get quite fatigued using it when I do any sort of work that isn't web browsing due to how much I have to focus just to have any accuracy. I also tried the magic mouse for about a week but quickly gave up on it because of how horrificly inaccurate the sensor on it is. The rails on the bottom didn't help either as it required so much more effort on my wrist just to slide the mouse around.

2013 15inch Retina MacBook Pro still sealed
2.0 GHz
8GB RAM
256 GB
Iris Pro

For $1700 cash. Should I pull the trigger? Someone got it as a gift but do not want it, she is trying to get rid of it.

Planning to get 13 rmbp. Since 15 base is missing a dedicated gpu as well, I don't see any point of upgrading to 15 for more money.

Planning to get 13 rmbp. Since 15 base is missing a dedicated gpu as well, I don't see any point of upgrading to 15 for more money.

Well, a bigger screen, a little bit of more resolution, quad core processor etc.

If you can do it with a 13inch screen, there is no reason to upgrade.

Went to the apple store today and really liked the 15". But the 13" is a lot more affordable.

The 15" starts at $2049 in Canada..

These 2" is such a game changer

Went to the apple store today and really liked the 15". But the 13" is a lot more affordable.

The 15" starts at $2049 in Canada..

These 2" is such a game changer

If you order online, you can use an EPP link
http://store.apple.com/ca_epp_178240?target=eppstore/ibm
and save.

Don't know if this is frowned on here. I think it's meant for friends & family too, so they don't check your employment status.

There you go!

The 15 inch Pro with Retina is $1885 CAD. I'm living in Canada too by the way. I'm probably getting one locally here from someone who doesn't want it. Will post impressions later.

Realistically, what do you guys think are the chances of a Retina in an Air's body are coming next year?

I'm toying with the idea of buying an Air. I have a Hackintosh at home but I've recently started a job and I feel like I need something more mobile.

and 4GB isn't gonna cut it is it?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you want to do anything with your machine, get 8GB. 4GB is a travesty that it's still available as a baseline. And didn't they actually add that one this year just to have a cheaper model? Get 8GB. See if BB can order the model you want. You'll regret it later if you don't.

Because think of it this way. If you were just going to be doing light things, get an Air. There's no reason to not just get an Air if you're just gonna be browsing and stuff. If you're getting a rPro, it's because you need to do big things. And in that case, you need 8GB at least.

Fuchsdh

Realistically, what do you guys think are the chances of a Retina in an Air's body are coming next year?

I'm toying with the idea of buying an Air. I have a Hackintosh at home but I've recently started a job and I feel like I need something more mobile.

and 4GB isn't gonna cut it is it?

Not happening any time soon I suspect. Apple wants to keep the pro part of the name.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Alright guys, I'm getting my first MacBook ever and abandoning Microsoft for my laptop needs. Can you help me be excited rather than fearful about this? Help me get excited in a practical way please! :S

My order: $1,179
13.3 inch Macbook Pro
2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor
8 GB DDR3 RAM; 1TB Hard Drive

Water

That would be contingent on the Broadwell processors being ridiculously good and basically putting rMBP performance in the Air chassis for free. My gut says there's only maybe 20% chance of that happening.

Apple will naturally shave the rMBP down because that's what they are mainly concerned with these days, but I'd guess it will only get halfway towards Air form factor by the end of 2014.

Air itself could gain retina in late 2014 but that won't happen without sacrifices. Slightly higher price, reduced battery life, not much more performance than current model, maybe. Apple can't hike the price too high given that Air is their entry model now.

If you need a laptop, both Air and rMBP are good buys right now. The Air is a good work laptop even without retina (I got one), and on the other hand, the rMBP isn't that much bigger. I very doubt that any refreshes in this size class will happen before Q3 2014.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Alright guys, I'm getting my first MacBook ever and abandoning Microsoft for my laptop needs. Can you help me be excited rather than fearful about this? Help me get excited in a practical way please! :S
Welcome to the family!

The best thing you can do is go in with an open mind to learning new things and different ways of doing things. Most of the time if there's something you can do on Windows, it can be done on OS X, many times better.

The Finder is your Explorer. But like Windows there are alternatives you can use if you want to.

Cut and Paste of files is slightly different in the Finder where you would Copy and Move the file instead of Cut and Paste. In order to access the "Move to here" option you need to hold down Option when performing the command. If you're someone who uses this a lot, it will come in handy. Personally I drag and drop 99% of the time and always forget Cut and Paste is even an option.

Safari in Mavericks is amazing. If you used IE before, use Safari now. Hell, if you used Chrome or Firefox before, use Safari. Or at least try it out. But if Safari isn't your cup of tea, there are Chrome and Firefox versions available no problem. (Personally, I believe Firefox has been left so far behind and Chrome has gotten worse and worse in the past few months. Safari 7 is leaps ahead and worth a check out. I switched from Chrome so fast and don't regret it.)

Download Better Touch Tool. It is a must. The Apple Magic Trackpad has soooo many gestures available that OS X doesn't even use. BTT lets you set these gestures to do anything you want. It's a must for anyone with a MT.

Also, never be afraid to ask. We're here for you.

Water

My order: $1,179
13.3 inch Macbook Pro
2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor
8 GB DDR3 RAM; 1TB Hard Drive
Going Mac for laptops is a good idea in general, but unless you absolutely must have a ton of disk space inside the computer, I'd advise going with another model like the entry level 13" Air which is the same price. The 13" non-retina MBP has an awful display (TN panel, and 1280x800 resolution - Airs have had 1440x900 since 2010), and lack of SSD makes the MBP a ton slower in practice.

leng jai

If you want to do anything with your machine, get 8GB. 4GB is a travesty that it's still available as a baseline. And didn't they actually add that one this year just to have a cheaper model? Get 8GB. See if BB can order the model you want. You'll regret it later if you don't.

Because think of it this way. If you were just going to be doing light things, get an Air. There's no reason to not just get an Air if you're just gonna be browsing and stuff. If you're getting a rPro, it's because you need to do big things. And in that case, you need 8GB at least.

Or you want the Retina screen. My Air screen looks pretty terrible now I've moved on to MBPr. It's also damn near silent even under heavy load which is pretty impressive. Macs really are a class above Windows laptops if you look beyond the specs. The price for me is easily justified by the build quality, trackpad, and zero fan noise.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Welcome to the family!

The best thing you can do is go in with an open mind to learning new things and different ways of doing things. Most of the time if there's something you can do on Windows, it can be done on OS X, many times better.

The Finder is your Explorer. But like Windows there are alternatives you can use if you want to.

Cut and Paste of files is slightly different in the Finder where you would Copy and Move the file instead of Cut and Paste. In order to access the "Move to here" option you need to hold down Option when performing the command. If you're someone who uses this a lot, it will come in handy. Personally I drag and drop 99% of the time and always forget Cut and Paste is even an option.

Safari in Mavericks is amazing. If you used IE before, use Safari now. Hell, if you used Chrome or Firefox before, use Safari. Or at least try it out. But if Safari isn't your cup of tea, there are Chrome and Firefox versions available no problem. (Personally, I believe Firefox has been left so far behind and Chrome has gotten worse and worse in the past few months. Safari 7 is leaps ahead and worth a check out. I switched from Chrome so fast and don't regret it.)

Download Better Touch Tool. It is a must. The Apple Magic Trackpad has soooo many gestures available that OS X doesn't even use. BTT lets you set these gestures to do anything you want. It's a must for anyone with a MT.

Also, never be afraid to ask. We're here for you.

Wow, thank you! I will ask for help when I need it. I will definitely take all of your advice. If you ever have more, please keep it coming.

Going Mac for laptops is a good idea in general, but unless you absolutely must have a ton of disk space inside the computer, I'd advise going with another model like the entry level 13" Air which is the same price. The 13" non-retina MBP has an awful display (TN panel, and 1280x800 resolution - Airs have had 1440x900 since 2010), and lack of SSD makes the MBP a ton slower in practice.
Due to my high frequency of travel, I actually prefer to have the large amount of disk space. I like to have access to all my audio and video files while I travel and away from Internet access so nothing hinders my work. I'm pretty sure the 1280x800 resolution will look fine to me as it's an upgrade from what I currently have.

Thanks for the recommendation. I wish money wasn't a issue. :(

So I did end up getting the new rMBP 15inch. I'm trying to figure out if it has an LG or Samsung display.

I'm running this in terminal.
ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

All I get is Color LCD. I don't see anything else, any clue guys?

NYR

So I did end up getting the new rMBP 15inch. I'm trying to figure out if it has an LG or Samsung display.

I'm running this in terminal.
ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

All I get is Color LCD. I don't see anything else, any clue guys?

Hmmm...you should see two more lines. Try this?

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

or this:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Top Bottom