• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

gokieks

what's the cheapest way to connect an iMac (bootcamped) to an hdtv? and is there so much input lag that it would ruin gaming?

miniDP to HDMI cable/adapter. Basic cable/adapter can be had for about $7, or you can get a miniDP to HDMI/DVI/DP for $14, all from Monoprice.

E: This reminds me, I need to order another one of the HDMI/DVI/DP adapters since I included the one I had when I sold off my old MBA earlier this year.

Deku Tree

Yeah...I had seen that. Was hoping someone here had something that I might have missed. Summer seems to be likely since they'll probably update the Mini with other stuff.

Yeah well it seems like the main Mac updates this year were all just "Haswell" which are mainly power consumption improvements. It is weird that they refreshed the iMac line with Haswell but not the Mac Mini line. In any case since the Mac Mini is plugged into the wall, it is not like you are getting extra battery life with the new chips. You would just be saving a little bit on your monthly electricity bill.

Kaladin

Yeah well it seems like the main Mac updates this year were all just "Haswell" which are mainly power consumption improvements. It is weird that they refreshed the iMac line with Haswell but not the Mac Mini line. In any case since the Mac Mini is plugged into the wall, it is not like you are getting extra battery life with the new chips. You would just be saving a little bit on your monthly electricity bill.

Ah, so the Haswell upgrade doesn't boost performance?

The only other thing might be is if they raise minimum specs to where I might not have to pay for a certain upgrade. This does make the decision to buy sooner an easier one.

kennah

Ah, so the Haswell upgrade doesn't boost performance?

The only other thing might be is if they raise minimum specs to where I might not have to pay for a certain upgrade. This does make the decision to buy sooner an easier one.
Haswell does boost performance. It's about 10% faster clock for clock and the integrated gpu is way better.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Feel better.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

Keep it attached to your account and in lost mode and you're set. My guess: they'll sell it to some fool who'll then contact you wanting to get it unlocked. Two things will happen from now on that will make life interesting:

1) Stolen devices are way more likely to be retrieved now with activation lock
2) People forgetting their Apple ID passwords and locking themselves out of their own devices is going to be a lot of fun
So this is mandatory on iOS7, right? Because my iPod only went to 6 so I couldn't test it completely, and I wasn't about to perform the erase test on my iPhone. I thought I had heard about more security in this feature. It really should ask for the password. It only makes sense.

So far it still hasn't been activated. So it probably is going to just be sold. I feel bad for the person who buys it from them, if it does end up being sold. Because if they try and contact me, I sure as heck am going to want it back. I just hope that it is indeed set up correctly. Would Find My iDevice even report the iPad as a device if it wasn't set up properly? I would expect it wouldn't even show up on the list. So I just have to wait.

It just sucks that I can't even replace it yet because the new ones aren't even out yet.

They even got my really nice SwitchEasy Canvas case.

The only problem is, even before they even try to connect it to the internet (A lot of WiFi networks require passwords. It's easy enough to just say Cancel.) they can still access all my offline stuff. Fortunately all my important information is stored in 1Password. They'd need to guess that password too. Keeping my fingers crossed that it eventually gets used or sold and used.

gokieks

The non-retina with 512GB is more expensive with the retina with 512GB

I don't understand?

It's Apple's way of telling you that you'd have to be a complete idiot to buy a non-Retina MBP and then go through Apple to swap out the HDD for a SSD.

I'm almost tempted to say that you'd be an idiot to buy a non-Retina MBP regardless, but it does have some points in its favor like optical drive and cheap (slow) storage.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just wanted to let everyone know I found my iPad. It fell down to the door side of the passengers seat. The one place I didn't look. I am both embarrassed and relieved at the same time. Glad I don't need to file a police report now.

kennah

I just wanted to let everyone know I found my iPad. It fell down to the door side of the passengers seat. The one place I didn't look. I am both embarrassed and relieved at the same time. Glad I don't need to file a police report now.
Good thing the Retina isn't out yet or you'd have two :)

Fuchsdh

Haha I've never been that bad at melting down when I've misplaced things but I've come close :) Glad to hear you've got it!

Also: bit the bullet, shipped off my Mac mini to get a 240 GB SSD installed by OWC. It's bizarre shipping something that expensive--I'm used to receiving a thousand-dollar computer in the mail but just entrusting it to Fedex is nerve-wracking. If all goes to plan though I'll be capturing game footage with it before next week's out.

TUSR

Banned

thank fuck dude. get that retina now!

Haha I've never been that bad at melting down when I've misplaced things but I've come close :) Glad to hear you've got it!

Also: bit the bullet, shipped off my Mac mini to get a 240 GB SSD installed by OWC. It's bizarre shipping something that expensive--I'm used to receiving a thousand-dollar computer in the mail but just entrusting it to Fedex is nerve-wracking. If all goes to plan though I'll be capturing game footage with it before next week's out.

tumblr_lwl8tnJuVg1qdlh1io1_400.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
thank fuck dude. get that retina now!
No way. Now that I have it back, I'm waiting for the iPad mini 3!

So all those with the 15inch rMBP's, what resolution are you guys running your laptops on?
I plan on running mine at 1680x1050 if not 1920x1200. I won't know which one will be good until I try it out in store. I don't like that the default setting is basically 1440x900. That's what my Air is! It should be at the very least (On the 15") the 1680x1050 option. Hopefully it runs fine enough.

I plan on going tomorrow. Tomorrow! TOMORROW! Tomorrow.

Probably.

30 minute drive to tienda de manzanas. The website says they keep them in stock at all stores. So as long as they do split payment (Debit + Credit) I'm set. The website does not apparently. I Googled and everyone says you can't use two forms of payment on the site. Either way I want it tomorrow. So yay!

I choose to believe that whoever stole it snuck it back into your car hoping you'd call off the dogs.

Also, color me surprised if the Retina mini actually launches tonight. Until I have one on its way here I figure the online store team is just trolling us.

Blackhead

Redarse
So all those with the 15inch rMBP's, what resolution are you guys running your laptops on?

I started off with 1680x1050 but settled on 1440x900 with the occasional 1920x1200 when I had a ton of work. The problem is that the scaled resolutions are noticeably fuzzier than the default mode and my eyes just preferred the 1440x900 retina even though I really wanted the extra screen estate :/

I started off with 1680x1050 but settled on 1440x900 with the occasional 1920x1200 when I had a ton of work. The problem is that the scaled resolutions are noticeably fuzzier than the default mode and my eyes just preferred the 1440x900 retina even though I really wanted the extra screen estate :/

Yeah I'm sticking with it as well, for now. I wish the 1050p is default one.

Deku Tree

My backup disk has gotten two EFI errors in the last two weeks. Both were fixed by a disk utility repair... Does this mean that it is on the way to failure?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Need a little help here,

What is an easy to use free app for screen sharing? I need to take over a clients notebook to add her email account to Mail. She is not tech savvy so I need something incredible simple.

HELP!

Apropos of me seething in impotent rage at stupid implentation/design choices at Apple:

If you want to pair your new iPhone's Remote app with your iTunes library, iTunes 11 has to be running before you tap onto the pairing screen on your phone. If you do it in the wrong order the crucial section in iTunes never pops up under 'devices'. Of course there's no useful help, nor a menu item to do the same thing.

Fucking idiotic.

Deku Tree

Apropos of me seething in impotent rage at stupid implentation/design choices at Apple:

If you want to pair your new iPhone's Remote app with your iTunes library, iTunes 11 has to be running before you tap onto the pairing screen on your phone. If you do it in the wrong order the crucial section in iTunes never pops up under 'devices'. Of course there's no useful help, nor a menu item to do the same thing.

Fucking idiotic.

Did it take you a long time to figure that out?

Did it take you a long time to figure that out?

5-15 minutes, so yes. Fruitless internet searches and then I opened the pairing screen up on the phone again to quote from it in the genteel rant* I was composing for the official iTunes feedback form.

*definitely not a crude diatribe.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
First impressions after a day of using my 15" Retina Pro coming from a 13" Air...

The extra weight is very noticeable. I will have to get used to that difference. No more scooping it up in the palm of my hand. It's about as heavy as my 13" Pro was. If there's only one thing I miss it's that lightness.

The benchmarks are really nice.

A bunch of my games that used to work on OS X no longer work. Probably because of the display. Am looking for fixes.

Photoshop CS3 looks surprisingly fine even at sub-retina UI.

It's nice being able to dedicate 4 cores, 8GB RAM and 1GB VRAM to Parallels. But I think it's time to install Windows into Bootcamp as a lot of games still struggle in a VM.

More later.

I picked up my new 15" retina Macbook yesterday, and I'm excited to get started with it. The only downer is that I didn't realize that they don't come with ethernet ports these days, so it's going to take about 24 hrs to transfer my files over via wifi from my old macbook. Does anyone use a usb to ethernet or a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter on theirs, or does that only really become an issue for huge transfers like this one?

gokieks

Fucking idiotic.

It probably would be nice to have a feature to rescan for available iTunes libraries, but... I don't see how the notion that you need to have iTunes running to connect to an iTunes library is a stupid design choice.

Deku Tree

I picked up my new 15" retina Macbook yesterday, and I'm excited to get started with it. The only downer is that I didn't realize that they don't come with ethernet ports these days, so it's going to take about 24 hrs to transfer my files over via wifi from my old macbook. Does anyone use a usb to ethernet or a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter on theirs, or does that only really become an issue for huge transfers like this one?

I just use USB to USB. USB 3.0 is very fast. Target disk mode, or Migration assistant, connected via USB would take much less than 24hrs.

It probably would be nice to have a feature to rescan for available iTunes libraries, but... I don't see how the notion that you need to have iTunes running to connect to an iTunes library is a stupid design choice.

That's not what the instructions say. They say "open iTunes on your computer and look for the 'remotes button' [tiny icon] in the tab bar".

I did that.

The trick is you have to open iTunes on your computer then tap the pair button which is where those instructions are. You have to follow the instructions before you can read them.

The pair screen should have a note to the effect that if you just launched iTunes to tap the button below which would rebroadcast the request.

Deku Tree

QUESTION:

Does iBooks on Mavericks allow me to share my own PDF files with my other iOS devices and my other Mavericks computers using iCloud?

Deku Tree

My iPhoto library keeps growing and growing. It is currently 66GB. Last time I remember it was I thought 40 or 50 GB. I haven't even been taking that many photos recently. Any idea why it is growing out of control?

Thanks!

Deku Tree

My iPhoto library keeps growing and growing. It is currently 66GB. Last time I remember it was I thought 40 or 50 GB. I haven't even been taking that many photos recently. Any idea why it is growing out of control?

Thanks!

Answered my own question. It was the "iPod photo Cache". It gets a lot bigger every time you sync a new device, like my new iPad Air. Mine was 23GB. Deleted it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1314?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Friend of mine just picked up a MacBook Air 1,1 for $200. It's his first Mac.
Wow. 2008. Those ones still had HDD's in them and the flip down side door. We've come a long way.

Hope he enjoys it.

Edit: Does anyone know how to remove a computer from the iCloud Tabs list in Safari? When I replaced my Air, I didn't close all my tabs in Safari and now the old computer is still on iCloud. It only has one tab but it's bugging me being there. I tried renaming the newly reformatted Air as the same name and opening new tabs, but it must go on a UUID or something because it just added a second machine with the same name and set of tabs.

The only option on iCloud.com is "Reset Data and Settings" but I'm afraid it will delete some important stuff. Unless that's the option I need to do. Maybe it expires after a while if the computer hasn't been used?

Answered my own question. It was the "iPod photo Cache". It gets a lot bigger every time you sync a new device, like my new iPad Air. Mine was 23GB. Deleted it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1314?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
Ugh. iPod photo Cache is the reason I don't sync all my photos to my devices. It creates same sized caches of all my stuff for each device I have. It's so unnecessary and wasteful. If it didn't need to create that I'd just sync all my photos to my devices. Though now that I have 512GB I guess I could spare some more space. Still... All this stuff should be handled via iCloud and the caches should be in the Mobile Documents folder. Not the iPhoto Library.

Deku Tree

Wow. 2008. Those ones still had HDD's in them and the flip down side door. We've come a long way.

Hope he enjoys it.

Edit: Does anyone know how to remove a computer from the iCloud Tabs list in Safari? When I replaced my Air, I didn't close all my tabs in Safari and now the old computer is still on iCloud. It only has one tab but it's bugging me being there. I tried renaming the newly reformatted Air as the same name and opening new tabs, but it must go on a UUID or something because it just added a second machine with the same name and set of tabs.

The only option on iCloud.com is "Reset Data and Settings" but I'm afraid it will delete some important stuff. Unless that's the option I need to do. Maybe it expires after a while if the computer hasn't been used?

Ugh. iPod photo Cache is the reason I don't sync all my photos to my devices. It creates same sized caches of all my stuff for each device I have. It's so unnecessary and wasteful. If it didn't need to create that I'd just sync all my photos to my devices. Though now that I have 512GB I guess I could spare some more space. Still... All this stuff should be handled via iCloud and the caches should be in the Mobile Documents folder. Not the iPhoto Library.

If it was me, I would go into the library and backup my current bookmarks plist file and then do the reset and hope for the best. But I don't know exactly what would happen...

Top Bottom