• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

muddream

Banned
Does anyone other than Apple offer those fully laminated displays? I don't care about 4K, but I would kill for an iMac screen without the PC attached.

Gowans

I've just grabbed a 27" iMac with 3.5 i7 & 780m option.

I love it, multiscreen is working fab too.

I can't do the Bluetooth keyboard tho, made for tiny people.

Furyous

My Late 2006 iMac won't turn on after I left it on to backup files in route to work. This wouldn't be that bad if my 3 TB Seagate hard drive didn't die at the same time. I'm calling AppleCare in 30 minutes and trying to get help. I'm heading into a certified repair place to see what they can do. This is easily the worst 18 hour stretch of my life.

I'm looking at a Mac Mini to replace this. This includes 64-bit Mac Minis dating back to 2009. Any suggestions on what I should buy?

Fuchsdh

My Late 2006 iMac won't turn on after I left it on to backup files in route to work. This wouldn't be that bad if my 3 TB Seagate hard drive didn't die at the same time. I'm calling AppleCare in 30 minutes and trying to get help. I'm heading into a certified repair place to see what they can do. This is easily the worst 18 hour stretch of my life.

I'm looking at a Mac Mini to replace this. This includes 64-bit Mac Minis dating back to 2009. Any suggestions on what I should buy?

What are you using it for? I personally wouldn't suggest getting any older than the 2011, since that has a TB port and you can get discrete graphics on it. The 2012 versions will have USB3 at the cost of some graphics power.

Woot on the Mac Pro. My 16-month countdown until I can justify buying one starts now...

As for 4K, unless you're actually using/grading 4K footage I'm not sure why you would want one. Two 2K monitors are going to be cheaper and more efficient.

Gila

What USB hub ports do you guys recommend for an iMac? Looking for 3.0, somewhat stylish or goes well with the iMac design

Fuchsdh

What USB hub ports do you guys recommend for an iMac? Looking for 3.0, somewhat stylish or goes well with the iMac design

My friend got me this one, might be visually up your alley (I like that it's designed to sit on a desk so the ports are angled the way I'll use them.)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CIY0KUG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

EDIT: So OWC is already blasting Mac Pro upgrades:

m4JDtYk.png

So theoretically you can save roughly $500 by upgrading everything but the RAM and trading in your stock to max out via OWC, less than $200 for the 32GB. Assuming that their SSD costs are roughly the same for the Pro when they come out as the Pro/Air upgrades are, you won't save any money by going with third-party (though they claim their SSDs have faster read/writes.)

Water

I can't do the Bluetooth keyboard tho, made for tiny people.
Made for tiny people? The key size and spacing is 100% standard, just like Apple's laptop keyboards. No difference to a normal desktop keyboard.

What I don't like about them are the scissor keys - I want mechanical or high-quality rubber domes - but because the latter aren't really available wireless, Apple's boards are some of the best wireless boards around.

Water

So weird for them to offer a new Mac Pro but not a new Cinema Display
I would guess they are waiting for 4K, and the components to make really solid 4K displays don't quite exist yet - in order to run at 60Hz, all existing 4K displays use some fiddly special Displayport mode that runs the display as if it was two displays.

That said, they should have price cut the 27" a long time ago.

Fuchsdh

DAT Optic appears to have some (kinda confusing amount of options though):
http://www.datoptic.com/ec/jbod-raid-data-storage-solutions/thunderbolt.html

Areca's new one does:
http://www.areca.us/products/thunderbolt5026.htm

And while the Pegasus2 R4 is still TB only, there's now a diskless version at least:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...s2-r4-diskless-4bay-thunderbolt-2-raid-system

I'm curious about the performance of the multi interface ones, like I wonder if they might be limited to SATA 6Gbps speed rather than TB's limit. I suspect they're basically SATA RAID board output to a USB/TB bridge vs something like the Pegasus which uses a PCIe RAID controller (which in turn is why I'm thinking they don't do USB output). Guess I'll do some searching around on that. Course with SATA vs TB1 it's a difference of like 500-600MB/s vs 800-900, so fast as hell either way, and only really gets there with SSDs in the latter case.

I'll get a JBOD TB one eventually, likely TB only just cause I probably won't need a USB port. Something like that would always be static connected to a desktop whether my main Mac or perhaps something like the Intel NUC down the line as a server.

Almost forgot this:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?107300-New-Mac-Pro&p=1298461&viewfull=1#post1298461

Thanks for the links and multiple options. Looks like even if I got a shell for the Pegasus I'd still be blowing more money filling it with hard drives than Lacie's 16TB stocked option at present. Hopefully in a year things might have changed up a bit with the release of more TB2 peripherals, so that when I get my new Pro I can get a nice system to complement it. At least I know from work not to trust a Drobo.

Deku Tree

So weird for them to offer a new Mac Pro but not a new Cinema Display

I would guess they are waiting for 4K, and the components to make really solid 4K displays don't quite exist yet - in order to run at 60Hz, all existing 4K displays use some fiddly special Displayport mode that runs the display as if it was two displays.

That said, they should have price cut the 27" a long time ago.

Apple doesn't seem to do anything unless they can "do it right" by their own standards. (
Yes I know a lot of people may want to point out contradictions.
)

I am shocked that they haven't even bothered to put USB 3.0 into their current cinema display. I was forced to buy a Dell 27" because I didn't want to buy an Apple monitor with a USB 2.0 hub in it.

It must be a very low profit and very low priority area for them... Anyway they let you buy the 4K sharp 32" off their website.

Caronte

I'm thinking about getting a Mac in a few months, but I've read that some can get pretty hot and make the hard-drive break after just 2 years. I don't know if this is true (probably not) but the thing is I live in a hot place and temperature issues are a big deal to me when buying electronics.

So my question is: which one runs cooler, a Macbook or an iMac? I like both and I would use it for basic stuff like watching videos and working on documents (not video editing or gaming). So which one do you think would run cooler for that stuff?

I'm thinking about getting a Mac in a few months, but I've read that some can get pretty hot and make the hard-drive break after just 2 years. I don't know if this is true (probably not) but the thing is I live in a hot place and temperature issues are a big deal to me when buying electronics.

So my question is: which one runs cooler, a Macbook or an iMac? I like both and I would use it for basic stuff like watching videos and working on documents (not video editing or gaming). So which one do you think would run cooler for that stuff?

You don't have to worry about heat with either. Get what makes more sense for you- the laptop or desktop.

Deku Tree

I have owned many many many Mac computers for over more than twenty years and I have never had heat problems like the ones you describe.

Mac's are very good at heat dissipation. That said you never want to use computers of any brand outside in the sweltering heat for too long.

Besides that if you buy a Mac you should always always buy AppleCare. It is the best computer insurance policy that I know about. It gives you three years of very few questions asked full service repairs at no additional cost to you including shipping in both directions if necessary. If anything goes wrong, as long as they can't prove that you for instance dunked your computer in the bathtub, then you are fully covered.

Caronte

Yes, AppleCare is something I'm planning to get when I buy it. If I had to choose which one I like more it would probably be the iMac, so I think I'll get that.

One last question. Would the 5400 rpm hard-drive be good enough? I think I read somewhere that before the redesign they used 7200 rpm, but I'm not sure. As I said I'm going to do basic stuff with it so I'm not sure if I should pick the Fusion Drive or a SSD instead or not.

Thank you for your help :)

Deku Tree

Yes, AppleCare is something I'm planning to get when I buy it. If I had to choose which one I like more it would probably be the iMac, so I think I'll get that.

One last question. Would the 5400 rpm hard-drive be good enough? I think I read somewhere that before the redesign they used 7200 rpm, but I'm not sure. As I said I'm going to do basic stuff with it so I'm not sure if I should pick the Fusion Drive or a SSD instead or not.

Thank you for your help :)

I would personally never buy a new Mac computer if it did not have an SSD or a Fusion Drive. If you want a zippy computer and it is not outside your budget then you will dramatically notice the difference in speed. SSD's really make any computer much much faster than it would be without one. Booting from an HDD whatever the RPM is really a major bottleneck slowdown compared to an SSD. If your thinking about whether you should use a faster RPM drive you should really think about an an SSD or a Fusion Drive.

EDIT: here apple gives you the specs for the iMac: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
27" comes with a 7200 rpm
21.5 comes with a 5400 rpm

mrkgoo

I would personally never buy a new Mac computer if it did not have an SSD or a Fusion Drive. If you want a zippy computer and it is not outside your budget then you will dramatically notice the difference in speed. SSD's really make any computer much much faster than it would be without one. Booting from an HDD whatever the RPM is really a major bottleneck slowdown compared to an SSD. If your thinking about whether you should use a faster RPM drive you should really think about an an SSD or a Fusion Drive.

EDIT: here apple gives you the specs for the iMac: http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
27" comes with a 7200 rpm
21.5 comes with a 5400 rpm

I second this. I have the 2012 iMac with a fusion drive, and I love it. it feels snappy most of the time.

kennah

I have a 2009 MacBook with a home rolled Fusion drive. It's awesome but I used too small of an SSD so it hangs once in a while

justjohn

I just got a new 13 inch retina and is my first apple laptop. Can anyone advise me on how best to utilise the battery? I've heard you're supposed to charge it to 80% and unplug and other confusing methods. How do you guys take care of your batteries?

Fuchsdh

I just got a new 13 inch retina and is my first apple laptop. Can anyone advise me on how best to utilise the battery? I've heard you're supposed to charge it to 80% and unplug and other confusing methods. How do you guys take care of your batteries?

I think you're confusing the battery's quick-charge--modern batteries are designed to get up to 80% capacity really quickly, and trickle-charge to full after that.

Generally speaking you don't want to leave your computer plugged into a wall all the time—try to fully discharge the battery every once in a while. Apple has recommendations and instructions on how to calibrate your battery here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

If you aren't going to be using your computer (and hence, your battery) for an extended period of time—weeks or months—draw it down to about 50% and store it in a dry, room temperature area. Leaving a battery at full capacity for storage can damage its total capacity, while leaving a battery full discharged can result in it never taking a charge again.

justjohn

I think you're confusing the battery's quick-charge--modern batteries are designed to get up to 80% capacity really quickly, and trickle-charge to full after that.

Generally speaking you don't want to leave your computer plugged into a wall all the time—try to fully discharge the battery every once in a while. Apple has recommendations and instructions on how to calibrate your battery here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

If you aren't going to be using your computer (and hence, your battery) for an extended period of time—weeks or months—draw it down to about 50% and store it in a dry, room temperature area. Leaving a battery at full capacity for storage can damage its total capacity, while leaving a battery full discharged can result in it never taking a charge again.

Thanks.

sikma42

Banned
How are the 13 inch late 2013 macbook pro retinas holding up. I've been reading horrible user reviews about image retention and UI lag....how common is this?

I just bought a used USB SuperDrive off of Amazon, but I am pretty sure it's broken. I plug in the USB and nothing; the slot loader won't take a disk; and I don't even see the SuperDrive under devices in Finder. It's busted right?

And for those wondering: I have a 2012 MacBook Air.

mrkgoo

I just bought a used USB SuperDrive off of Amazon, but I am pretty sure it's broken. I plug in the USB and nothing; the slot loader won't take a disk; and I don't even see the SuperDrive under devices in Finder. It's busted right?

And for those wondering: I have a 2012 MacBook Air.

Check different USB port.

Which computer do you have? Only certain macs will take the SuperDrive (which is stupid - why not allow any computer to use it?).

And yes I know it requires a high powered port to run - it's fine if an old mac can't use it because of this, but newer macs should have no excuse.

Fuchsdh

Interesting developments on the Mac Pro front—

* Getting a Mac Pro is far cheaper than trying to build your own solution (though given the size constraints and the deep discount AMD is giving Apple and end users on the FirePros, that's not really that surprising): http://bgr.com/2013/12/26/mac-pro-windows-diy-cost/

* According to OWC, the CPU is a normal and thus upgradable socketed model.

So essentially the RAM, GPU, and CPU are all user-upgradeable for those with a screwdriver; it just remains to be seen if Apple will support CPU upgrades enough to make it feasible, and if anyone will put out the heatsink-less GPUs to actually offer an option. http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...-mac-pro-reveals-socketed-removable-intel-cpu

(Still seems odd looking at the thing that they couldn't fit another PCIe SSD on the same side where the current one is—from a space standpoint looks like there's room for two.)

kennah

What is a good solid state drive for macbook pro? Looking to get one for my mid 2011 mbp to replace the stock hdd.

Anything Samsung, Kingston or Crucial. Get whatever you find cheapest in the capacity that you want (EVO is probably the best all around for the money)

Fuchsdh

Anything Samsung, Kingston or Crucial. Get whatever you find cheapest in the capacity that you want (EVO is probably the best all around for the money)

Pretty much this. I've had good experiences with the EVOs as well (using a 256GB as my boot drive as we speak.)

Hey, guys. I'll be making the jump to an iMac tomorrow, but I'm not sure on which one to get! I'll be using it mostly for some basic Photoshop, Office, GarageBand, and some sketching programs. I was taking a look at the iMacs from 2012 and 2013, but there doesn't appear to be much difference. Can you guys help me out?

giga

Hey, guys. I'll be making the jump to an iMac tomorrow, but I'm not sure on which one to get! I'll be using it mostly for some basic Photoshop, Office, GarageBand, and some sketching programs. I was taking a look at the iMacs from 2012 and 2013, but there doesn't appear to be much difference. Can you guys help me out?
What's your budget? The best deals will be at the refurb store: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac

Fuchsdh

Resellers like OWC, Macmall etc. might also offer you better deals than the straight Apple refurbs.

As to answering my own question about the woes of Thunderbolt + USB3 hybrid DAS, I asked Lacie if they were planning on upgrading the 4big line to Thunderbolt and this was their answer:

Thank you for your interest in our products.  However, we are unable to produce a drive that has RAID 5 in the Thunderbolt series.  This is due to a limitation of the Thunderbolt port actually.  Apple’s Thunderbolt port does not allow a RAID 5 setting.  So, as of now, we cannot provide RAID 5 capabilities, unless something were to change on their side, in the future.

So either he's mistaken or lying (since Pegasus' Thunderbolt says it can do RAID 5 with no mention of issues or downgrades in speed)?

Urgh. The Lacie 4big is still prolly my best cheap option, I'll just need an external Thunderbolt drive for my fast editing stuff as well.

fireside

About $1400.

I'd go for this one then

Edit: As for why, compared to the 2013 model, it has a better graphics card and an SSD. I'm guessing the 2013 model has a better processor (maybe), and newer WiFi. But it's a desktop, so why are you going wireless (and if you don't have an ac router, you're not going to benefit), and SSD > processor

I'd go for this one then

Edit: As for why, compared to the 2013 model, it has a better graphics card and an SSD. I'm guessing the 2013 model has a better processor (maybe), and newer WiFi. But it's a desktop, so why are you going wireless (and if you don't have an ac router, you're not going to benefit), and SSD > processor

I've been told that it needs to have Applecare, but still stay at around $1400. -_-
Sorry about that!

fireside

I've been told that it needs to have Applecare, but still stay at around $1400. -_-
Sorry about that!

You don't need to buy Applecare immediately (you have a year to buy it, and it doesn't even kick in until that year is over), but if you must for some reason, I can't in good faith recommend any of the iMacs. A SSD is just vital in my opinion, especially since the 21 inch iMacs use a 5400 RPM hard drive.

bitoriginal

Crossposting from another thread.

Okay GAF, I need help. I've got a macbook pro retina 15" late 2013 with 512gb ssd, 16g ram, and Nvidia 750m. I want to install windows via bootcamp so I can play some games, and hopefully DayZ.

I'm a mac newb, I know little to nothing about the operating system. Ideally I need someone to post links to a step by step guide/pm me about installing bootcamp. I'm in the UK btw.

1.) Where can I download a windows 7/8.1 ISO? I've tried searching the microsoft site but it's a clusterfuck that I'm struggling to get my head around. I'm currently using my old laptop on win7 and its giving me options to upgrade, but ideally I just want an ISO file I can put on a usb stick and use on my mac. I'm not averse to torrenting but I'm hesitant to download something I'm unsure about.

2.) Should I go for windows 7 or 8.1? I'm not really bothered either way, is one better/easier to install than the other?

3.) Do I need a legit windows key? If so, can I buy one cheaply through a site other than microsoft?

4.) I've got a 16gb USB stick. Will this do the job? Does it need to be formatted a certain way to work?

5.) Do I need anything else to get this process started? I know I can use bootcamp to download the drivers required.

Hopefully I got across the information I needed to, I'm fairly technically inept when it comes to this stuff.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I would be interested in this information as well.

But I will say you only need an 8GB stick at minimum. The total files will fit fine in just over 4GB or so. (I think you need more than 4 though. But much less than 8.)

I'd love to know the easiest way to purchase a copy of Windows 7 and get it onto a stick. Or if it could come on a stick already it'd be awesome. I'm so spoiled by Apple's brilliantly simple way of upgrading or installing their OS. Microsoft is so behind. Still needing a DVD drive, even just to get the OS installer onto a USB stick is silly. Can you not purchase it already on a stick?

Fuchsdh

Does the LaCie offering rely on the Mac'a software RAID (which is 0, 1, or 10), while Pegasus doesn't?

That's the only explanation I can think of that makes sense, yeah. Shot him an email asking for clarification in that regard.

Plopped down my order either way. Since it's long-term storage and backup I really shouldn't be complaining about USB3 speeds anyhow. Now I just have to consolidate my loose 4-5TB over eight or nine HDDs. Wheee.

You don't need to buy Applecare immediately (you have a year to buy it, and it doesn't even kick in until that year is over), but if you must for some reason, I can't in good faith recommend any of the iMacs. A SSD is just vital in my opinion, especially since the 21 inch iMacs use a 5400 RPM hard drive.

Nope! That sounds swell, and I'll be picking up the one you recommended later on today.
Thanks for the tip! Really appreciated!

Zuly

My Macbook Pro (mid-2010) decided to suddenly stop reading DVDs. I tried with an audio disc and it seems to read it fine but when I insert any type of data CD/DVD, it spits it right out. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom