• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

TUSR

Banned
I'm getting frustrated they haven't launched the new TB display with updated IO.

What's the best alternative -$600 for something comparable?

Dany

Banned
I haven't tried doing this with a MBP but you can try replacing the WiFi chip.
actually its happening again. it comes and goes and its super annoying. Also my macbook said i should replace the battery soon.

I don't know why it is doing this. and ifixit classifys replacing wifi as difficult so i'd rather not

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's good that 4K is getting cheaper fast. Now, what about the damn price of Flash storage? It's still at $1 per GB. (Compared to a HDD which can cost a dime or so per GB.) I mean Flash is used everywhere and prices are dropping so slowly. 4K is pretty new. It boggles the mind.

(Dreaming of the day a 1TB SSD costs at most $150. And the day you can actually get 3-4TB drives for that price.)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Okay so I ended up stretching the good ol' budget and got a base 15" MBPr during Black Friday instead of an 8GB/256GB 13". I hope it's worth the upgrade in price. I'm coming from Windows and have never had a Mac before. I mean, I'm tech savvy but this is an entirely new operating system. Any tips/resources/software I should look out for when coming over from Windows?

tr4656

Okay so I ended up stretching the good ol' budget and got a base 15" MBPr during Black Friday instead of an 8GB/256GB 13". I hope it's worth the upgrade in price I'm coming from Windows and have never had a Mac before. I mean, I'm tech savvy but this is an entirely new operating system. Any tips/resources/software I should look out for when coming over from Windows?

Stuff might get cluttered up in your menu bar so use Bartender. I can't live without Alfred personally since it makes things so much easier to use.

Also, learn to use the command line.

Water

Okay so I ended up stretching the good ol' budget and got a base 15" MBPr during Black Friday instead of an 8GB/256GB 13". I hope it's worth the upgrade in price. I'm coming from Windows and have never had a Mac before. I mean, I'm tech savvy but this is an entirely new operating system. Any tips/resources/software I should look out for when coming over from Windows?
Too many to list. I find there's a setting or an app to do almost everything better on OS X. If you list the kind of stuff you normally do and apps you normally use in Windows, it's easier to give recommendations, but here are a couple of general ones:

Go to System Preferences -> Mission Control -> Hot Corners and set up three corners to Desktop, Application Windows and Mission Control. You can e.g. start dragging an image from a browser that covers the whole screen, swipe to the "Desktop" corner to reveal the desktop, and drop there, all with one mouse click. Or reveal the desktop, start dragging and swipe the corner to bring back all the windows to drop into.

Use cmd-tab to switch between apps and cmd-` to switch between windows. Combine with the above.

Whenever there's a standard text control in any app, you can use some basic Emacs-style text editing shortcuts; Ctrl-A takes you to the start of the row, Ctrl-E to the end, Ctrl-H is backspace, etc. You can also add some of your own.
http://lifehacker.com/5083249/a-few-handy-hidden-os-x-shortcuts

Buy Forklift from the app store. Best file manager I've used on any system. The default Finder is better than Windows Explorer, but not by much. Switch to the "Commander" default key bindings. (I've adjusted mine a bit further but that's a good place to start.)

If you like the Windows behavior where windows snap to screen edges with the mouse or keyboard shortcuts, there are apps to replicate that. I use a free one called ShiftIt, but had to compile it myself; some others are easier.

Dany

Banned
Does it do it on other networks?
Do other devices on your network exhibit the same problems?
I have seen wifi routers cause the problems you're complaining about (and MacBooks).
well im not currently moving my laptop around anymore. but none of hte tother devices on This netowrk is having this issue.

it really feels like that if my macbook starts using a lot of cpu or ram the wifi shuts off.

That's good that 4K is getting cheaper fast. Now, what about the damn price of Flash storage? It's still at $1 per GB. (Compared to a HDD which can cost a dime or so per GB.) I mean Flash is used everywhere and prices are dropping so slowly. 4K is pretty new. It boggles the mind.

(Dreaming of the day a 1TB SSD costs at most $150. And the day you can actually get 3-4TB drives for that price.)

Unfortunately, shrinking flash has significant drawbacks for lifespan. Stability is also becoming a concern; that's why we are seeing TLC drives (much cheaper capacity, but big drawbacks) and a lot of research into new materials (graphene) and other flash-esque designs. Worldwide popularity of flash means it's also in a lot of demand, which can constrain supply and boost cost. Suffice to say, if it was simple as a die shrink we would have doubled capacity by now. But expect progress to be pretty slow until they have valid alternatives.

Futureman

I think I want to try some gaming on my rMBP (new 15" with the dedicted GPU).

Can I put bootcamp on an external HD? my SSD is the 512 GB one, but I'm running out of space so I can't use that.

what is the best option? 360, PS3 or PS4 controller??

Fuchsdh

Can I put bootcamp on an external HD? my SSD is the 512 GB one, but I'm running out of space so I can't use that.

I prefer the feel of the 360 controller, and I tend to find it has better support/drivers. I imagine it's going to be easier to find a cheaper wired one as well than a new PS4 controller with a bunch of crap you won't use for PC gaming (plus at least for now they appear to be pretty shoddily made.)

Can't asnwer the Bootcamp question, although unless you're running games from the last two or three years Parallels works excellent with less hassles (I'm still running 7, in 8 apparently they beefed up the games performance significantly.)

BroKeN-

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help.

I recently bought 2 used iMacs for a pretty good price and was looking to resell them to make some money. I'm not too familiar with iMac reselling prices so I was hoping someone could give me a quick estimate.

1. 20 inch (I think Mid 2009 version)
2.6 Hz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 gb memory
320GB storage
Nvidia Geforce 9400
(Full specs from Apple) http://support.apple.com/kb/SP616

2. 20 inch (early 2008)
2.4 Hz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 gb memory
250GB storage
ATI Radeon HD 2400
(Full specs from Apple) http://support.apple.com/kb/SP485

Also they each have office 2011. Both surprisingly seem like they are in "Like New" condition with no scratches or scuffs that I've seen so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)

Fuchsdh

Hey guys, I'm looking for some help.

I recently bought 2 used iMacs for a pretty good price and was looking to resell them to make some money. I'm not too familiar with iMac reselling prices so I was hoping someone could give me a quick estimate.

1. 20 inch (I think Mid 2009 version)
2.6 Hz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 gb memory
320GB storage
Nvidia Geforce 9400
(Full specs from Apple) http://support.apple.com/kb/SP616

2. 20 inch (early 2008)
2.4 Hz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 gb memory
250GB storage
ATI Radeon HD 2400
(Full specs from Apple) http://support.apple.com/kb/SP485

Also they each have office 2011. Both surprisingly seem like they are in "Like New" condition with no scratches or scuffs that I've seen so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. =)

Check eBay. A quick search shows 2008 iMacs going for around $300-$500, depending on specs and any aftermarket upgrades/RAM, etc.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Depends on the game. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Spelunky, etc all run fine in Parallels. But newer games will be really slow. If you have Windows, install it in BootCamp and use Parallels to import it as a Virtual Machine and you will have the best of both worlds.

Also I use a wired 360 controller. Works wonders. Make sure you install TattieBoggle's driver.

TUSR

Banned

Your 512 is running out of space eh? What I recommend is installing only Apps on the SSD and everything else can be external.

On my 15" rMBP I have a W7 boot camp and all my games are installed on an external drive. The best controller would be a wired 360, followed by a wired DS4/DS3.

The DS4 (wireless) actually works pretty seamlessly on OSX with no additional drivers.

muddream

Banned
- Bootcamp is the only option unless you're content with playing old games and Blizzard titles, everything else runs like shit on OS X and even worse in a virtual machine.
- 360 controller is the best option on Windows, there is no good option on OS X. Some games like the 360 driver, others get less confused by the plug & play dualshocks. Did I mention that gaming on OS X is terrible?
- Move some of your data to an external drive, 512 GB should be more than enough for two operating systems and their apps.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
- Bootcamp is the only option unless you're content with playing old games and Blizzard titles, everything else runs like shit on OS X and even worse in a virtual machine.
- 360 controller is the best option on Windows, there is no good option on OS X. Some games like the 360 driver, others get less confused by the plug & play dualshocks. Did I mention that gaming on OS X is terrible?
- Move some of your data to an external drive, 512 GB should be more than enough for two operating systems and their apps.
Bio shock Infinite runs like a dream on my rPro. Games made for OS X will run fine on OS X given the right hardware.

And the 360 controller works fine for most games where a controller will be useful like Super Meat Boy (Which finally runs like a dream in OS X on my Retina. Which is good because it stopped working in Windows under Parallels.) but doesn't seem to work right in Half-Life or other Source games for some reason. The buttons and triggers all get sent as the wrong codes for some reason. It seems to depend on the game. Thankfully I play all FPS games with the trackpad and keyboard. Like a boss.

GWX

Bio shock Infinite runs like a dream on my rPro. Games made for OS X will run fine on OS X given the right hardware.

And the 360 controller works fine for most games where a controller will be useful like Super Meat Boy (Which finally runs like a dream in OS X on my Retina. Which is good because it stopped working in Windows under Parallels.) but doesn't seem to work right in Half-Life or other Source games for some reason. The buttons and triggers all get sent as the wrong codes for some reason. It seems to depend on the game. Thankfully I play all FPS games with the trackpad and keyboard. Like a boss.

Man, you gotta make a video on that. I just don't believe it!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Man, you gotta make a video on that. I just don't believe it!
I'd been thinking of doing that. Because no one ever seems to understand how I could do it. I just don't have a tripod to hold a camera with.

First thing I do when I start a new first person game is rebind the keys to use the arrows for movement and all the keys close to the arrows or the spacebar for other stuff. Basically it's all about having the least hand travel.

Like in BioShock Infinite right now I use Option (Next to the Left key) for crouch and / (Next to right shift) for melee and Right Shift (Above the up key) for reload. Space is of course jump and period is "Use". (Instead of E which would be next to the "Forward" key if I used WSAD)

Or in Minecraft I once again use the arrows for movement, space for jump, Caps Lock for crouch since it lets me lock the crouch in place, Option to open the Inventory.

And for ZDoom, arrows for movement, space for "use", A and Z for jump and crouch when I need them, Caps Lock for toggling Always Run (I keep Run on anyway so this can be out of the way) right shift for reload (Brutal DOOM), / for kick (Brutal DOOM of course).

And of course in all these games, click with one finger for firing (Or using in MC) and two for secondary weapon. (Vigors, placing blocks or using secondary fire, etc...)

It takes minor getting used to, but it works. I could never use a mouse. Ever. I could not play an FPS game today if I had to use a mouse. I'd still have a console and be playing with a controller if I didn't have a Magic Trackpad. I'm not out to evangelize people into switching from their mouse-based FPS games, but I do offer an alternative for those willing to try it out. (My brother couldn't do it. He had to get a cheap mouse to play his games like WoW. Though he also couldn't stand reversed scrolling from the first second. I personally can't go back to the alternate because it doesn't make any sense to me.)

muddream

Banned

The right hardware in this case means hardware running at least 10% faster than it would have on windows. A UE3 game running smoothly on your $2,599.00 laptop with the right settings isn't indicative of OS X being a decent platform for gaming. The selection of good native ports is slim. Super Meat Boy was broken with a controller, the Valve games were locked at 30 fps for the longest time...it's a headache unless you're looking to play the odd game here and there that "just works". Blizzard are really the only ones that support OS X as an equal platform.

Fuchsdh

The right hardware in this case means hardware running at least 10% faster than it would have on windows. A UE3 game running smoothly on your $2,599.00 laptop with the right settings isn't indicative of OS X being a decent platform for gaming. The selection of good native ports is slim. Super Meat Boy was broken with a controller, the Valve games were locked at 30 fps for the longest time...it's a headache unless you're looking to play the odd game here and there that "just works". Blizzard are really the only ones that support OS X as an equal platform.

I haven't had any issues with Valve games feeling less-than-equal. As for equal platforms, the only PC makers selling any good numbers of units to kids likely to be gamers are Apple. So its the game devs who are shooting themselves in the foot for the future. Most people are not going to want to boot camp.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey. I'm not arguing. I know that OS X usually gets the shaft. SMB runs fine now on my rPro. But on my previous Air it had delays all the time and slowdown at in opportune times. Also, it never didn't work with my controller. I don't know what you mean by broken, but it has always played fine with my 360 controller. From the first version. Moot point though because until I got this machine I played it in Parallels and it ran smoother than it did in the native OS X version.
I haven't had any issues with Valve games feeling less-than-equal. As for equal platforms, the only PC makers selling any good numbers of units to kids likely to be gamers are Apple. So its the game devs who are shooting themselves in the foot for the future. Most people are not going to want to boot camp.
I'll gladly Bootcamp once I get a copy of Windows to install in it. But I'd rather have a Steambox or something connected to my TV that I could install it onto instead that might have hardware worth running games on.

muddream

Banned
Hey. I'm not arguing. I know that OS X usually gets the shaft. SMB runs fine now on my rPro. But on my previous Air it had delays all the time and slowdown at in opportune times. Also, it never didn't work with my controller. I don't know what you mean by broken, but it has always played fine with my 360 controller. From the first version. Moot point though because until I got this machine I played it in Parallels and it ran smoother than it did in the native OS X version.
uhm..
Team Meat said:
Due to an unfixable bug in the Mac version, we don't support 360 controllers on Mac. I do apologize for this. The bug is unfixable because I can't again risk killing everyones game with another update. The game incorrectly assumes that no more than 12 buttons will ever be on a controller. This is mainly true, however Mac controller drivers map the JoyHAT as 4 different buttons it seems, which makes it so you can't map B X and Y properly. This also messes up the start and select buttons. It was a mistake on my part. The bug could be fixed, however there is a significant risk that fixing it will break other things to the point where its unplayable with the keyboard which we would then have to go in and fix and start a whole new cycle of updating the game / breaking something in an update, rinse, repeat. I am sorry about this, do know that it is fixed in our new engine for game 2. Also, non Xbox 360 controllers appear to work fine. Joy2Key esque programs may remedy this issue, but it has not been tested by me. Again, we are sorry about this.

Fuchsdh seems to be drinking dat Apple keynote Kool-Aid...Macs aren't even close to 10% market share and the post-Vista Mac boom is over. Let's face reality, it doesn't make economic sense to put a lot of effort into Mac game development and it shows time and time again. Make a small bootcamp partition and save yourself the headaches. Mac gaming is the opposite of the "it just works" mantra.

Fuchsdh

uhm..

Fuchsdh seems to be drinking dat Apple keynote Kool-Aid...Macs aren't even close to 10% market share and the post-Vista Mac boom is over. Let's face reality, it doesn't make economic sense to put a lot of effort into Mac game development and it shows time and time again. Make a small bootcamp partition and save yourself the headaches. Mac gaming is the opposite of the "it just works" mantra.

I'm not drinking the cool-aid, I'm saying I've never run into an issue where I couldn't play a Mac game without issues, and I find the choice and selection of Mac games fits my needs and more. It *does* just work, as opposed to having to fiddle with .config files and all the crap that is de rigeur under Windows.

If it didn't make sense to go into Mac game development there wouldn't be Mac games, period. Get you purple head out of your ass.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doesn't change the fact that Super Meat Boy works perfectly fine on my Mac with the 360 controller driver installed. Bioshock Infinite works too. Quite a few games work. Some, and only some, have problems with the wrong button IDs being sent like Half-Life and it's children last I checked. But I play FPS games with the trackpad as was stated. The one Mac game I play with a controller works fine with a controller. That's all I need. I only need a controller for platformers and driving.

Doesn't change the fact that Super Meat Boy works perfectly fine on my Mac with the 360 controller driver installed. Bioshock Infinite works too. Quite a few games work. Some, and only some, have problems with the wrong button IDs being sent like Half-Life and it's children last I checked. But I play FPS games with the trackpad as was stated. The one Mac game I play with a controller works fine with a controller. That's all I need. I only need a controller for platformers and driving.

SMB was patched recently to fix the 360 controller issue, I think. Before it was obvious no involved in the development of the mac port even tried to use the 360 controller,

Futureman

Your 512 is running out of space eh? What I recommend is installing only Apps on the SSD and everything else can be external.

On my 15" rMBP I have a W7 boot camp and all my games are installed on an external drive. The best controller would be a wired 360, followed by a wired DS4/DS3.

The DS4 (wireless) actually works pretty seamlessly on OSX with no additional drivers.

ha ~240GB are photos. Yea I should probably put the bulk of those on an external.... I do have 90 GB left right now though so it's not urgent.

DS4 works? Just pair as a bluetooth device? My roomie has a PS4, I should at least try Portal 2 as there's a Mac version and I've always wanted to play it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
SMB was patched recently to fix the 360 controller issue, I think. Before it was obvious no involved in the development of the mac port even tried to use the 360 controller,
I guess that explains it. I probably used the Mac version a few times and always used the keyboard instead at the time. Well I'm glad it was patched. Because it runs great now.

muddream

Banned
I'm not drinking the cool-aid, I'm saying I've never run into an issue where I couldn't play a Mac game without issues, and I find the choice and selection of Mac games fits my needs and more. It *does* just work, as opposed to having to fiddle with .config files and all the crap that is de rigeur under Windows.

If it didn't make sense to go into Mac game development there wouldn't be Mac games, period. Get you purple head out of your ass.

Those same config files exist on your Mac, you're just too Ellen Feiss to realize this. Windows even has the GeForce Experience to simplify optimization, something OS X doesn't offer.

If it didn't make sense to go into Ouya game development there wouldn't be Ouya games, period. This is too easy, why are you so anxious to argue with someone who's clearly more knowledgeable?

It might suffice for you, but it's hardly a ringing endorsement for Mac gaming in general (the point I was making).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It might suffice for you, but it's hardly a ringing endorsement for Mac gaming in general (the point I was making).
Hey. No prob-lo, Rob Lowe. Mac gaming is a desert I know. Give me a gaming PC (If no good enough SteamBoxes come out next year, I'm definitely building one just to connect to my TV) and I won't even care as much about gaming on my Mac anyway. (But thanks to Steam and SteamCloud will be happy to install certain ones for cross-platform enjoyment. I mean I do have 512GB of space to fill.)

Fuchsdh

Those same config files exist on your Mac, you're just too Ellen Feiss to realize this. Windows even has the GeForce Experience to simplify optimization, something OS X doesn't offer.

No shit all that stuff exists. My point is I have never had to deal with it. Every Mac game I've played runs fine with no dickering of hardware or software required unless I want to. But keep fucking your high horse, by all means.

TUSR

Banned
ha ~240GB are photos. Yea I should probably put the bulk of those on an external.... I do have 90 GB left right now though so it's not urgent.

DS4 works? Just pair as a bluetooth device? My roomie has a PS4, I should at least try Portal 2 as there's a Mac version and I've always wanted to play it.

No photos should be on the SSD, its a waste of its utilization potential.

Yeah mine works over Bluetooth, its janky with Big Picture mode atm. Working on fixing it, might release my own driver pack/setup for it.

Planning to buy macbook before Christmas.

I'm either thinking of getting late 13" 2.4GHz with 16GB and 256GB or the last model of 15" 2.4GHz, 8GB, and 256GB with dedicated 650M. They are both retina.

I'm planning to use mostly for using game engine such as Unity, adobe applications, and play League of Legends and some Steam gaming.

Which one is it suitable for me? They both cost about the same, 13" is about 100 bucks cheaper.

tr4656

Planning to buy macbook before Christmas.

I'm either thinking of getting late 13" 2.4GHz with 16GB and 256GB or the last model of 15" 2.4GHz, 8GB, and 256GB with dedicated 650M. They are both retina.

I'm planning to use mostly for using game engine such as Unity, adobe applications, and play League of Legends and some Steam gaming.

Which one is it suitable for me? They both cost about the same, 13" is about 100 bucks cheaper.
I feel 13" if it's light gaming.

japtor

Well you're basically looking at more portability, RAM, and better battery life vs bigger screen (and about 30% more weight), quad core CPU and a better GPU (and I guess running hotter?).

For CPU and GPU it'll generally be a case of just running slower/worse on the 13" I guess, while with RAM at some point it'll be a matter of if you have enough or you don't...at 8GB it's hard to say since I'd say it's usually fine for most people, but in your case it kinda depends on the Unity stuff and size of stuff you'll be working with in the Adobe apps.

And keep the size and weight in mind if you plan to use it as a portable much. If you're planning to be desk bound most of the time it negates that advantage of the 13, although if you want a bigger screen then an external display partially negates the want/need for a bigger built in screen.

Top Bottom