• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Water

I'm used to playing on screens bigger than 13", so I don't wanna be let down after buying 13".
Get the 15". For your purposes the 13" flat out sucks in so many ways. Games feeling unimpressive due to display size is the least of those.

I'm currently running Unity on a 13" Macbook Air, and I'm dealing with it, but then I'm a programmer. I need to mess with the graphical stuff mostly just to verify the effects of my code changes. If I was doing mostly level design, I'd go nuts trying to use this display. Also note that setting adequate effective resolution for Unity on the 13" rMBP will murder the GPU. The "standard" setting on the 13" rMBP is equal to 1280x800, but you need 1440x900 (Air's native res) at the very least, preferably 1680x1050. How Apple's retina resolution scaling works for nonstandard resolutions is that it renders at twice the resolution you set and downscales. So then you are actually doing realtime 3D rendering at 3360x2100. I don't see how the 13" rMBP's integrated GPU could possibly handle that without choking.

The dedicated Nvidia GPU on the 15" is far superior to the Intel integrated on the 13" rMBP, more so than simple "average FPS" benchmarks would tell you. Quadcore CPU vs dualcore CPU isn't a small issue either.

I hate the fact that the high end 15" is the only laptop in current lineup with a decent GPU. Why no 13" model with a decent GPU? Why no cheaper 15" model that has a decent GPU and a 1680x1050 non-retina display? (I think this could actually be better in practice than retina specifically for working in Unity or doing heavy 3D modeling.) Even without a performance difference, I'd pay extra to have a Nvidia GPU on my light/small laptop because Intel's OpenGL support remains shit in comparison.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is the late 13" really that underpowered? I figured with haswell iris 5100 integrated gpu, it would support unity in native resolution...
Unity games should be fine. It's the bigger games that might have problems. Most of them should have options you can lower though, but don't expect anything super high tech.

Unity games should be fine. It's the bigger games that might have problems. Most of them should have options you can lower though, but don't expect anything super high tech.
It's not playing unity games I'm worried about. I need to render games using Unity and other 3D rendering softwares like Maya or 3DS MAX. I'm afraid if 13" rmbp will choke while doing that with integrated gpu.

japtor

So then you are actually doing realtime 3D rendering at 3360x2100. I don't see how the 13" rMBP's integrated GPU could possibly handle that without choking.
It depends. Viewports (or whatever content) can be set to display at 1:1 and show/render at native resolution while the rest of the UI is scaled iirc.

(...of course the native res on those things is still big so there's still that to deal with, 2560x1600 I think)

This is why I prefer older models of mbp. Apple seems to sacrifice graphical power for the sake of the product's weight and battery as years pass by.

This is why I prefer older models of mbp. Apple seems to sacrifice graphical power for the sake of the product's weight and battery as years pass by.

They were stingy on graphics anyway. Even if they kept the old form factor, they would still use the least amount of graphical power they could get away with. You would never see for example the 765M as you do in the Razer Blade/Pro.

Flek

Banned
anyone here rocking a current top 13" rMBP with 500 GB SSD and 2,6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 ? How do you like it?

Fuchsdh

They were stingy on graphics anyway. Even if they kept the old form factor, they would still use the least amount of graphical power they could get away with. You would never see for example the 765M as you do in the Razer Blade/Pro.
Because they still care more about battery life. For a laptop I think that's the right mindset. If you want to play games all the time or do serious work a laptop is never going to be the best option. I got through five years of work on a maxed 2008 MBP but there were a lot of burned hours rendering and waiting for the previews to update.

Guys... There is an almost 600 page thread on the Apple forums about Image retention and yellow tint on the screen of all 2012-2013 Retina Macbook Pros.
Some people have been going through 4-5 replacements with the same problems. How are your displays?

Any stylish cases/sleeves for a 13" MBA? I'm looking for one for my wife.

Should I shell out for those Michael Kors ones in Apple's store?

I have the BookBook for my Iphone 4s and it's awesome; http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook_macbook/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Guys... There is an almost 600 page thread on the Apple forums about Image retention and yellow tint on the screen of all 2012-2013 Retina Macbook Pros.
Some people have been going through 4-5 replacements with the same problems. How are your displays?
My understanding is it only affects one of the two display suppliers they use. And the displays that are affected are in certain machines.

My 15" high end 2013 model is fine.

My understanding is it only affects one of the two display suppliers they use. And the displays that are affected are in certain machines.

My 15" high end 2013 model is fine.

I guess I should just get the 3 year apple care to be on the same side. I might as well.

they wont be able to somehow down the line start out a new policy that this wont be covered right? that wouldnt be legal right?

Water

Because they still care more about battery life. For a laptop I think that's the right mindset. If you want to play games all the time or do serious work a laptop is never going to be the best option.
A laptop is the best option every time there isn't a heavy-duty desktop computer, fully set up with your personal apps, settings and data in the location where you are going to work. And for the vast majority of "serious work" people want to do, a decent laptop has more than enough performance.

The right mindset is to offer laptops both with lots of processing power and without. Apple is failing hard at that. Just look at the 13" Macbook Pro - it was always just a Macbook with a metal shell, whereas offering a 13" machine with a good GPU and/or a quadcore processor would have given the customers a substantially different choice.

Pachimari

I don't understand, why is it, that my Mac Mini keeps crashing or skipping while watching HD channels through Eye TV? It's from 2009, the last one with the disc drive, it has 4GB of RAM and is a Core 2 Duo.

kennah

I don't understand, why is it, that my Mac Mini keeps crashing or skipping while watching HD channels through Eye TV? It's from 2009, the last one with the disc drive, it has 4GB of RAM and is a Core 2 Duo.
Core 2 duos have a lot of trouble with HD video on OS X. My old 2.4ghz one couldn't even play the h264s recorded on my iPhone.

Fuchsdh

Core 2 duos have a lot of trouble with HD video on OS X. My old 2.4ghz one couldn't even play the h264s recorded on my iPhone.

Never had an issue with my 2.4 2008 MBP on HD video.

Try performing your basic system maintenance and see if that improves things. Also check and see if the issue isn't straight RAM-based--I know Safari can eat up way more RAM than you expect.

japtor

Check console logs around time of the crashes to see if there's any clues.

2009s are fine with HD stuff when using GPU acceleration, should still be able to handle cable/OTA content on CPU though.

So just going off the apple website, is the middle option of the 13" rMBP acceptable (2.4/8gb/256gb) for video editing? Just got a gopro and it would suck to have the 1080p 60fps videos stutter while trying to do basic playback. Should I upgrade to either the 2.6 processor or 16gb of memory?

Fuchsdh

So just going off the apple website, is the middle option of the 13" rMBP acceptable (2.4/8gb/256gb) for video editing? Just got a gopro and it would suck to have the 1080p 60fps videos stutter while trying to do basic playback. Should I upgrade to either the 2.6 processor or 16gb of memory?

The frame size of the video isn't the big issue, it's the codec and bit rate. GoPro's seem to top out at 45Mb/s, shouldn't have any issues with that even with some added effects, etc. My 2008 MBP could handle 36Mb 1080p30 video with nary a stutter.

The frame size of the video isn't the big issue, it's the codec and bit rate. GoPro's seem to top out at 45Mb/s, shouldn't have any issues with that even with some added effects, etc. My 2008 MBP could handle 36Mb 1080p30 video with nary a stutter.

Thanks. We're planning on getting the rMBP this week. Would you recommend upgrading the ram or processor to kind of help this along?

Guys I need advice. I might have a chance to buy a 13" 2009 Macbook Pro 2.53ghz for $375. It seems like a good opportunity to get back into Macs, my last was a 2007 Macbook which I loved but broke.

If I get it I plan to replace the HDD with an SSD (THIS ONE in particular), but I'm still not sure how a Core2 Duo machine will work in 2013, I currently have a Lenovo laptop with a sandybridge i5. Will a Core2 run the (relatively few) Steam games (Don't Starve, Hotline Miami, Civ5) I like to play?

My other option is to just wait about 6 months until I have more money and get a new Macbook. With a military discount I can get the lowest retina for $1100.

Fuchsdh

Thanks. We're planning on getting the rMBP this week. Would you recommend upgrading the ram or processor to kind of help this along?
If you're going to be holding onto the Mac for a long time and want to future proof it max the RAM, it'll have the best bang for the buck. Of you're only going to hold onto it for two or three years the stock should be fine. Computers last a heck of a lot longer these days anyhow.

kennah

Guys I need advice. I might have a chance to buy a 13" 2009 Macbook Pro 2.53ghz for $375. It seems like a good opportunity to get back into Macs, my last was a 2007 Macbook which I loved but broke.

If I get it I plan to replace the HDD with an SSD (THIS ONE in particular), but I'm still not sure how a Core2 Duo machine will work in 2013, I currently have a Lenovo laptop with a sandybridge i5. Will a Core2 run the (relatively few) Steam games (Don't Starve, Hotline Miami, Civ5) I like to play?

My other option is to just wait about 6 months until I have more money and get a new Macbook. With a military discount I can get the lowest retina for $1100.

The Core 2 would run those particular games, though the 9400M in it will REALLY REALLY struggle with CIV V. I don't think you should do it. The Core 2 Is really lagging behind. That said, Mavericks and an SSD breathed a lot of life into my 2.8 ghz 15", but it has a better video card than the one you're buying - and even then it lags in a lot of stuff.

I think you should just wait the 6 months, your current i5 performs way better than any c2d you'd pick up, so I think you would just end up frustrated.

$375-400 is almost getting to be too much for any C2D. The problem is Apple pretty well skipped a gen and held on to the C2D a year longer than they should have, so it created a giant gap between years. I'm recommending to everyone I know to not buy any mac that doesn't have at least an i5 in it.

Saw this $50 for a last generation Airport Extreme on Craigslist...good enough deal?

00A0A_2v68oTX7NV_600x450.jpg

japtor

The Core 2 would run those particular games, though the 9400M in it will REALLY REALLY struggle with CIV V. I don't think you should do it. The Core 2 Is really lagging behind. That said, Mavericks and an SSD breathed a lot of life into my 2.8 ghz 15", but it has a better video card than the one you're buying - and even then it lags in a lot of stuff.

I think you should just wait the 6 months, your current i5 performs way better than any c2d you'd pick up, so I think you would just end up frustrated.

$375-400 is almost getting to be too much for any C2D. The problem is Apple pretty well skipped a gen and held on to the C2D a year longer than they should have, so it created a giant gap between years. I'm recommending to everyone I know to not buy any mac that doesn't have at least an i5 in it.
I think the C2D/9400M machines are decent for regular computer use, but yeah for gaming especially you're going to run into its limits. It's ultimately a four year old base (when it was new!*) GPU at this point, and the C2D/9400M is the minimum config for Mavericks as it is.

That said, used Mac prices are inflated and don't really drop super low until they're really really old. There's some sub $400 2011s on eBay with about an hour left...but they're partially broken. You might be able to get a 2011 Mac mini if you don't mind a desktop, but that might be pushing it at that price too. Hell the 2009 MBP 13s are generally $400+. I guess as far as market value $375 is good (if everything works), but whether it's actually worth it to you (the OP I mean) is the question.

For the price there's also brand new retina iPad minis. Different use and capabilities of course, but depending what you want it might be something to consider.
Do you need it for Time Machine backups? Then sure.

If you don't need it for Time Machine backups, then get something better.
It's not even officially supported for Time Machine (...although Apple's literature on this and the software itself has given mixed messages about it over the years).

Assuming it works and it's definitely the previous gen I think it's fair at $50, particularly if you have a Mac/iOS household (whereas it could be a slight pain with others for initial router configuration). There's a bunch of generations of that flat model so make sure it's not an older one. I have the original flat one and it has no gigabit ethernet for example, it didn't get dual band and guest networks until later ones, etc.

Yeah I decided not to get the 09 MBP. No doubt the price was fantastic, it was a Craigslist posting and judging from the pictures and correspondences with the seller it seemed like it was in good shape, so I would have expected to pay ~$600 for it around here.

But the missing features like HDMI out would have been a problem, I also don't want a CD drive, and that old ass Core2 Duo, nearly the same as in my 2007 Macbook, does not inspire confidence. If I needed a computer now I would have sprung on it, but I think I can wait.

Fuchsdh

A fully loaded new MacPro is estimated to cost $9,999 $$$$

$3999+
- 2.7GHz 12-core: +$3000
- Dual AMD FirePro D700 with 6 GB GDDR5: +$600
- 64GB (4x16GB): +$1600
- 1TB SSD: +$800

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/16/mac-pro-build-to-order-upgrade-pricing-revealed/

That's not as much as I was expecting, actually. A half-loaded top-shelf Mac Pro from 2012 is still going for $5k.

The only wrinkle in the pricing is with only 4 RAM slots, you're sort of forced into making the decision to boost capacity at launch rather than waiting for cheaper RAM and upgrading as needed. For me 2x16 GB is plenty when I pick up the system but for others they'll probably be forced to pay up for the 64GB. Wish they had kept it large enough for 6 slots at least.

EDIT: Also, looking over those tech specs again, there's some crazy numbers I hadn't noticed before. 40MB L3 cache? 2012 revs topped out at 12MB. Still seems bizarre to have the 4-core version though.

kennah

That's not as much as I was expecting, actually. A half-loaded top-shelf Mac Pro from 2012 is still going for $5k.

The only wrinkle in the pricing is with only 4 RAM slots, you're sort of forced into making the decision to boost capacity at launch rather than waiting for cheaper RAM and upgrading as needed. For me 2x16 GB is plenty when I pick up the system but for others they'll probably be forced to pay up for the 64GB. Wish they had kept it large enough for 6 slots at least.

EDIT: Also, looking over those tech specs again, there's some crazy numbers I hadn't noticed before. 40MB L3 cache? 2012 revs topped out at 12MB. Still seems bizarre to have the 4-core version though.
It doesn't seem bizarre when you look at what is actually available for Socket 2011.

And I'm pretty sure they will 'encourage' quad channel ram. So 32 gig config would be 4x8 not 2x16

Fuchsdh

It doesn't seem bizarre when you look at what is actually available for Socket 2011.

And I'm pretty sure they will 'encourage' quad channel ram. So 32 gig config would be 4x8 not 2x16

That's what their BTO options give, so you might be right. I'll probably end up going with the 3 GHz 8-core option, and 32GB keeps me a little tighter than I'd like for my future multicore AE renders (I'm currently doing 6 cores/3GB each.) I guess if I have to I'll just boost to 48GB down the line, I just hate having random RAM sitting around :|

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys, anyone experience wifi problems with a mid 2013 Macbook Air? It started off innocently enough, where it would just take 10-15 minutes before I could connect to wifi at school. Now, I am constantly losing wifi connection at home. It would show that I'm still connected but I would be unable to load pages on any of my browsers. If I turn the wifi off and turn it back on it'll work.

Deku Tree

Hey guys, anyone experience wifi problems with a mid 2013 Macbook Air? It started off innocently enough, where it would just take 10-15 minutes before I could connect to wifi at school. Now, I am constantly losing wifi connection at home. It would show that I'm still connected but I would be unable to load pages on any of my browsers. If I turn the wifi off and turn it back on it'll work.

http://brettterpstra.com/2013/12/16/a-fix-for-network-issues-on-my-2013-macbook-air/

"The instant I turned off Bluetooth on my Air, connection speeds became the same as my wife’s (who never turns on Bluetooth). I know that Bluetooth can conflict with 2.4GHz signals, but it also fixed the 5GHz connection. I have no idea why. Turning it back on again did not change the speeds, it just needed to be toggled off once."

I got a 2013 Air and I never noticed any slow WiFi issues... but I also rarely turn on Bluetooth.

kennah

That's what their BTO options give, so you might be right. I'll probably end up going with the 3 GHz 8-core option, and 32GB keeps me a little tighter than I'd like for my future multicore AE renders (I'm currently doing 6 cores/3GB each.) I guess if I have to I'll just boost to 48GB down the line, I just hate having random RAM sitting around :|

It's likely the Mac Pro will require quad channel ram. So 8, 16, 32 and 64 will probably be the only configs that will work.

iLLmAtlc

http://brettterpstra.com/2013/12/16/a-fix-for-network-issues-on-my-2013-macbook-air/

"The instant I turned off Bluetooth on my Air, connection speeds became the same as my wife’s (who never turns on Bluetooth). I know that Bluetooth can conflict with 2.4GHz signals, but it also fixed the 5GHz connection. I have no idea why. Turning it back on again did not change the speeds, it just needed to be toggled off once."

I got a 2013 Air and I never noticed any slow WiFi issues... but I also rarely turn on Bluetooth.

Thanks but my bluetooth hasn't been on since day 1 lol.

Fuchsdh

The base config is 12GB, 3x4GB.

Custom form factor SATA SSDs I think (newer ones switched to PCIe). OWC might make upgrade modules but I might be thinking of some other models.

Looks like they do.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina

On a quasi-related note, I'm really annoyed that people don't stick a USB port on Thunderbolt DAS options. I've been looking at RAID solutions and most of the Thunderbolt-only ones are RAID 0/1 only; if I want RAID 5 for instance from Lacie I have to go with the LaCie 4big Quadra which keeps FW800/USB3. Pegasus likewise only offers TB options, period. Urgh. (And don't make me buy your hard drives! Sell me the shell!)

Mendoza

Get the 15". For your purposes the 13" flat out sucks in so many ways. Games feeling unimpressive due to display size is the least of those.

I'm currently running Unity on a 13" Macbook Air, and I'm dealing with it, but then I'm a programmer. I need to mess with the graphical stuff mostly just to verify the effects of my code changes. If I was doing mostly level design, I'd go nuts trying to use this display. Also note that setting adequate effective resolution for Unity on the 13" rMBP will murder the GPU. The "standard" setting on the 13" rMBP is equal to 1280x800, but you need 1440x900 (Air's native res) at the very least, preferably 1680x1050. How Apple's retina resolution scaling works for nonstandard resolutions is that it renders at twice the resolution you set and downscales. So then you are actually doing realtime 3D rendering at 3360x2100. I don't see how the 13" rMBP's integrated GPU could possibly handle that without choking.

The dedicated Nvidia GPU on the 15" is far superior to the Intel integrated on the 13" rMBP, more so than simple "average FPS" benchmarks would tell you. Quadcore CPU vs dualcore CPU isn't a small issue either.

I hate the fact that the high end 15" is the only laptop in current lineup with a decent GPU. Why no 13" model with a decent GPU? Why no cheaper 15" model that has a decent GPU and a 1680x1050 non-retina display? (I think this could actually be better in practice than retina specifically for working in Unity or doing heavy 3D modeling.) Even without a performance difference, I'd pay extra to have a Nvidia GPU on my light/small laptop because Intel's OpenGL support remains shit in comparison.

I'm in the market for a new rMBP for Unity, and I've been going back and fourth between these two models.
Late 2013 15" Retina 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
or
Early 2013 Refurb 15" Retina 2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
768GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
$2339.00

I've been reading that the dedicated NVIDIA has better graphical performance than the Iris Pro. Also, the Retina's ram is soldered on (which is total bullshit), so I would rather make an investment that will give me 16GB of ram.

Its a total fucking bummer that I can't get a decent GPU with the 13" model, because I love the size, and I have a decent monitor that I can use if I need the extra screen real estate when programming.

My buddy works for Apple, so he's hooking me up with the Friends and Family discount, so it's keeping me under my sub $2000 budget. Any guidance will be appreciated.

japtor

Looks like they do.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina

On a quasi-related note, I'm really annoyed that people don't stick a USB port on Thunderbolt DAS options. I've been looking at RAID solutions and most of the Thunderbolt-only ones are RAID 0/1 only; if I want RAID 5 for instance from Lacie I have to go with the LaCie 4big Quadra which keeps FW800/USB3. Pegasus likewise only offers TB options, period. Urgh. (And don't make me buy your hard drives! Sell me the shell!)
DAT Optic appears to have some (kinda confusing amount of options though):
http://www.datoptic.com/ec/jbod-raid-data-storage-solutions/thunderbolt.html

Areca's new one does:
http://www.areca.us/products/thunderbolt5026.htm

And while the Pegasus2 R4 is still TB only, there's now a diskless version at least:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...s2-r4-diskless-4bay-thunderbolt-2-raid-system

I'm curious about the performance of the multi interface ones, like I wonder if they might be limited to SATA 6Gbps speed rather than TB's limit. I suspect they're basically SATA RAID board output to a USB/TB bridge vs something like the Pegasus which uses a PCIe RAID controller (which in turn is why I'm thinking they don't do USB output). Guess I'll do some searching around on that. Course with SATA vs TB1 it's a difference of like 500-600MB/s vs 800-900, so fast as hell either way, and only really gets there with SSDs in the latter case.

I'll get a JBOD TB one eventually, likely TB only just cause I probably won't need a USB port. Something like that would always be static connected to a desktop whether my main Mac or perhaps something like the Intel NUC down the line as a server.

Almost forgot this:
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?107300-New-Mac-Pro&p=1298461&viewfull=1#post1298461
Mac Pros are actually here. Resellers are taking delivery of the stock configs! Today! Authorized business sales resellers and business sales reps at Apple Stores can take orders for them starting today!

No official word on CTO pricing or the systems going online on the Apple Web store. Indicators seem to be saying tomorrow or thursday.

…Just thought y'all should know. MacRumors and similar news sites are failing on this. Sad, really sad.

Top Bottom