• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

fireside

Sure, that may work for you. But don't try and force that mentality on others.

If he's displeased with his display and he wants to replace it, he should.

I am not forcing anything on anyone. I am simply relating my experience with the same problem. I don't understand why you are having such a problem with that.

kennah

Yaaay... The battery in my 2009 15" has started bulging.

Edit - anyone have one of this model kicking around that I could use for parts?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I am not forcing anything on anyone. I am simply relating my experience with the same problem. I don't understand why you are having such a problem with that.

Because I've been an ornery bastard over this Macbook upgrade thing and I'm pawning it off on you.

Deku Tree

Yaaay... The battery in my 2009 15" has started bulging.

Edit - anyone have one of this model kicking around that I could use for parts?

I am amazed that your 2009 battery lasted this long (if it was the original battery). Just go to an Apple store and buy a new battery IMO (if hopefully that is your old problem).

kennah

I am amazed that your 2009 battery lasted this long (if it was the original battery). Just go to an Apple store and buy a new battery IMO (if hopefully that is your old problem).
This computer has its share of problems. :)
Wifi doesn't work (cable got yanked when replacing a hard drive)
Speakers don't work (red light problem)
Screws fell out of bottom
And the Ethernet port didn't work the other day but that may have been the cable.

Deku Tree

This computer has its share of problems. :)
Wifi doesn't work (cable got yanked when replacing a hard drive)
Speakers don't work (red light problem)
Screws fell out of bottom
And the Ethernet port didn't work the other day but that may have been the cable.

Sounds like it might be time to start thinking about getting a new computer IMO. Hearing about things like a WiFi cable getting yanked is what always makes me think twice about trying to upgrade my older computers.

kennah

Sounds like it might be time to start thinking about getting a new computer IMO. Hearing about things like a WiFi cable getting yanked is what always makes me think twice about trying to upgrade my older computers.
Just don't upgrade them around a toddler and you'll be fine. My skill with computer repair is the main reason this thing is even still running (got the computer for free as a fixer upper. replaced hard drive cable and fans already)

Alas this computer may have to last me another year.

Deku Tree

Just don't upgrade them around a toddler and you'll be fine. My skill with computer repair is the main reason this thing is even still running (got the computer for free as a fixer upper. replaced hard drive cable and fans already)

Alas this computer may have to last me another year.

I would personally not be able to use a computer without WiFi. Add to that no Ethernet and the computer would be worthless to me. Good luck getting a new battery. I guess if needed you could just take out the battery and run it on the power cord, but be careful about the cord getting yanked. I've had that happen and it would stink to lose all your work so easily.

kennah

I would personally not be able to use a computer without WiFi. Add to that no Ethernet and the computer would be worthless to me. Good luck getting a new battery. I guess if needed you could just take out the battery and run it on the power cord, but be careful about the cord getting yanked. I've had that happen and it would stink to lose all your work so easily.
Usb dongle for the wifi now. Works the same just slightly less range. But yeah. I hear ya. Hoping one of my bosses upgrade soon. The both have 2011 15" pros

I just put a spare 120GB SSD I had kicking around my house into my work-owned 2010 Mac mini. I'm not sure if I care if I ever get it back or reimbursed, not waiting on the 5400RPM HDD is worth it.

kennah

I just put a spare 120GB SSD I had kicking around my house into my work-owned 2010 Mac mini. I'm not sure if I care if I ever get it back or reimbursed, not waiting on the 5400RPM HDD is worth it.
Feels good doesn't it. I signiificantly upgraded my work computer because I was tired of waiting (and got good deals in stuff)

Old Mac Pro went from 4gig of ram to 24. World of difference.

So guys, I'm thinks ng of getting a refurbished Macbook Air 2013 edition.
Do you guys think this will be a good idea?
I can't afford the new model anyways and I'm tired of Windows laptops anyways.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So guys, I'm thinks ng of getting a refurbished Macbook Air 2013 edition.
Do you guys think this will be a good idea?
I can't afford the new model anyways and I'm tired of Windows laptops anyways.
Definitely. The 2013 models are awesome. And the 2014 versions will probably just be speed bumps if Intel is still delayed. Definitely go for it. Welcome in advance. We're here to help.

Go for it.

Definitely. The 2013 models are awesome. And the 2014 versions will probably just be speed bumps if Intel is still delayed. Definitely go for it. Welcome in advance. We're here to help.
Thanks guys.
I bought a Windows based laptop last year for school and it broke in March. The trackpad sucked, the keyboard sucked, the battery life and screen sucked and now I'm just ready to get something that works well and that I'll like to type papers on.
I think that I will check out the MBA when I go to the Apple store soon.
4 more questions though;
Do you guys think it'll be OK for basic coding?
What are the best music programs for the Mac?
Does Apple do refurbished stuff well?
Is Office good on Mac? I've heard co flicting stuff about it and I'd be willing to get a different word program if need be.

Thanks in advance guys.

EmiPrime

Thanks guys.
I bought a Windows based laptop last year for school and it broke in March. The trackpad sucked, the keyboard sucked, the battery life and screen sucked and now I'm just ready to get something that works well and that I'll like to type papers on.
I think that I will check out the MBA when I go to the Apple store soon.
4 more questions though;
Do you guys think it'll be OK for basic coding?
What are the best music programs for the Mac?
Does Apple do refurbished stuff well?
Is Office good on Mac? I've heard co flicting stuff about it and I'd be willing to get a different word program if need be.

Thanks in advance guys.

Coding on Mac is great.

Don't know about music programs. Logic Pro and Garageband are pretty popular I guess.

Very well, other than the box you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I use a mixture of Google Docs and MS Word 2011 depending on need for word processing. Both work great.

Coding on Mac is great.

Don't know about music programs. Logic Pro and Garageband are pretty popular I guess.

Very well, other than the box you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I use a mixture of Google Docs and MS Word 2011 depending on need for word processing. Both work great.
Sorry I didn't mean music creation program. I meant music playing.

1. Do you guys think it'll be OK for basic coding?

2. What are the best music programs for the Mac?

3. Does Apple do refurbished stuff well?

4. Is Office good on Mac? I've heard co flicting stuff about it and I'd be willing to get a different word program if need be.

1. Yes. I do a ton of serious work on a 2011 11".

2. Playing or making? Edit: ah. I use iTunes and swear at all the bits they've added that don't have anything to do with me playing music I already own.

3. Yes. Only the box is different from new. Warranty and product are the same.

4. Yes-ish. I find the programs slow and not needed except to open shit people send me at work.

Mindwipe

So the recent update for the 2011 Air bricked my machine (and yes, I've tried everything), and there are no Genius Bar appointments availble in the central London stores.

Thanks Apple. Seriously.

Fuchsdh

Is it a bad time to grab one?

What screen size would you guys recommend?

Any specific upgrades I should opt for?

Depends what you need. On the 21" you can't get the best GPU and can't upgrade the RAM after the fact. Definitely make sure you have a fusion or flash drive.

New updates are mostly waiting on Broadwell, which has been delayed. If you feel like waiting 6 months or longer you can get the new version, otherwise it's a toss-up whether there will be a sooner refresh using existing Haswell processors.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it a bad time to grab one?

What screen size would you guys recommend?

Any specific upgrades I should opt for?
An iMac? I wouldn't. MacRumors Buyers Guide says wait. Ignore the low end that was added last month, the actual machines haven't been updated since September. Before that it was October. I wouldn't buy before they're updated.

Unless they're just speed bumps. Either way, if you buy new, it'll be replaced in between 2-4 months.

Though there is the Intel delay.

It is an uncertain time for Mac buyers right now with Intel's delays.

Personally I'm still waiting for the Mac mini. Come on!

EmiPrime

It's safe to buy now, the new Intel chips are a long way off. If you need the machine now I don't see the point in waiting.

Just make sure you max out the RAM (if buying the 21") and get an SSD in your config and you'll be fine.

An iMac? I wouldn't. MacRumors Buyers Guide says wait. Ignore the low end that was added last month, the actual machines haven't been updated since September. Before that it was October. I wouldn't buy before they're updated.

Unless they're just speed bumps. Either way, if you buy new, it'll be replaced in between 2-4 months.

Though there is the Intel delay.

It is an uncertain time for Mac buyers right now with Intel's delays.

Personally I'm still waiting for the Mac mini. Come on!
I'm getting worried come the 4K iMac and/or Retina 12" MBA that the Mac Mini might just disappear from the lineup.

Fuchsdh

I'm getting worried come the 4K iMac and/or Retina 12" MBA that the Mac Mini might just disappear from the lineup.

The mini serves a pretty huge niche. Whether the people buying them and all those guys with racks of minis are enough to make Apple care to serve that niche is another question.

fireside

most people in this thread prefer the magic trackpad but i think the magic mouse is better. i think you should try both and figure it out for yourself because ultimately you're the one using it.

Number45

most people in this thread prefer the magic trackpad but i think the magic mouse is better. i think you should try both and figure it out for yourself because ultimately you're the one using it.
Planning on picking up both when I get the iMac. Still can't decide whether to buy now (or within the next few weeks) or wait until the launch of Yosemite in hope that there will be at least a small refresh to go along with it.

Will be getting the 21.5" with 16GB.

I had been planning on picking up the Fusion drive, but now I'm kind of tempted to go full SSD and use an external USB3 drive for extra storage (iTunes catalogue and photos primarily). Anyone else do something like that?

Fuchsdh

I vastly prefer the mouse, just because I'm using a desktop most of the time. I imagine the trackpad is more comfortable to people who are using laptops more often. If you do get a MM make sure to download one of the utilities that lets you map parts of the surface to different buttons like MagicPrefs.

Water

The trackpad is a good trackpad, the mouse is absolute shit. A low end $15 Logitech mouse is solid and usable, I can't say the same of any Apple mouse. I've tried all of them from the hockey puck onwards.

Number45

The trackpad is a good trackpad, the mouse is absolute shit. A low end $15 Logitech mouse is solid and usable, I can't say the same of any Apple mouse. I've tried all of them from the hockey puck onwards.
I'd be open to alternative suggestions if I could find one that looks right alongside the iMac. :/

Water

I'd be open to alternative suggestions if I could find one that looks right alongside the iMac. :/

You might find something suitable from the Steelseries product range. Several of their mice come in simple white, gray or black combinations.
http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-kinzu-v2-pro-edition
http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-kana
http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-rival
http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei-raw

Fuchsdh

What's your complaint with the magic mouse? Sure you can get decent mice for cheap these days but you can say that about essentially any piece of electronics. To me not having the multitouch slows me down dramatically.

Draper

So I'm thinking a trackpad with a fusion drive. Any other suggestions? Also, people who have picked up one of the newer models, what has your experience with them been like? Fully satisfied? Also, what size did you go with?

EmiPrime

I use a Steelseries mouse. I don't like Apple mice.

So I'm thinking a trackpad with a fusion drive. Any other suggestions? Also, people who have picked up one of the newer models, what has your experience with them been like? Fully satisfied? Also, what size did you go with?

Love it. I went for a 21" with 256GB SSD a couple of months ago. It's super quiet and ludicrously fast.

Ridiculously good looking too.

fireside

i have a 27" imac with a fusion drive, though i probably would have gone with a 256 ssd if that was an option when i bought it. i echo emiprime's thoughts.

Other than the single button Pro Optical Mouse, I completely agree. I do love the Magic Trackpad, though I wish it was USB as I hate batteries.

What's your complaint with the magic mouse? Sure you can get decent mice for cheap these days but you can say that about essentially any piece of electronics. To me not having the multitouch slows me down dramatically.

Probably because ergonomics were completely sacrificed for looking cool. Ergonomically, it's probably one of the worst mice I've ever had the mispleasure of using. Not to mention the sensor is shit for such an expensive mouse. I'd buy the Logitech Anywhere MX any day over spending 70 bucks on a piece of turd like the magic mouse.

Top Bottom