• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

jesalr

In my experience, store is best. If you call, you're dealing with somebody who has the huge inventory of Apple itself and might not have a manager in easy contact range. In store, stock is limited and they have immediate pressure to help you so they can move on to the next appointment.

Cheers, in which case I'm gonna try and hit the smallest store around me (London has some massive stores).

Thanks for your help. Shame the machine has been such a pain. I had a regular MBP before it and it was perfect.

Flo_Evans

Hmm it seems like my external USB3 drive keeps getting put on the USB2 bus?

Its also firewire so I was going to get a thunderbolt > firewire adapter to see if that speeds it up but this is kinda lame.

Can someone ELI5 on the difference if I were to get the max 15" rMBP today versus this Broadwell refresh that seems will come next spring or summer?

Outside of differences in the connections that I assume we can't really predict, the screen will likely stay the same, same 16 GB RAM, maybe higher SSD storage requirements.

Otherwise, it would just be more powerful for CPU intensive tasks? How much more powerful would you say? Just weighing my options. Thanks!

On the 15" model, they'll drop the weight and make the device a bit thinner. Otherwise, better battery life and a Maxwell-based GPU.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There's plenty they can shave off. It's all a matter of technology restraints. The display will get thinner when the Retina screens are more compact.

Cheers, in which case I'm gonna try and hit the smallest store around me (London has some massive stores).

Thanks for your help. Shame the machine has been such a pain. I had a regular MBP before it and it was perfect.

Sometimes the problems just hit in a storm. Every Apple product I owned has gone without issue, and then I had an iPhone 4 that I had to replace 3 times in a month (and then get a screen replacement after that) So I'm pretty comfortable with the Genius bar process. ;)

hoverX

Upgrading my retina mbp. Giving my current one to my wife. I currently have a 13" end of 2012 retina MBP. I love the portability of the 13" model but really like the fact that the 15" model has a real GPU. Does anyone have the 15" model? Do you find it bulky? Kinda heavy?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
When you use Bootcamp to boot into Windows, does it hand over all the power/RAM to Windows? As opposed to Parallels or another VM where you give a set amount.

asdad123

So I went to pick up 2.3Ghz/16gb/512gb SSD/750m 15 inch at Best Buy since they're clearing them out for $2350 and I had the student discount coupon and 10% movers coupon. I figured for $2025 plus tax, I'd rather have that version than the new one since Id be saving over $500.

Get there, tell the guy what I want and he begins to ring me up. We start chatting about random things, and for some reason, the sale price of $2349 isn't ringing up so he calls over a manager and overrides it to that price. I then give him the coupons and they took them without problem. I had a $50 rewards certificate so I walked out of there for $2113.xx after taxes plus $200 coming back in rewards points so a net cost of about $1900.

I get home and check it out, its the 2.5ghz version that just came out. Guess thats why it wasn't ringing up at the sale price lol.

kennah

So I went to pick up 2.3Ghz/16gb/512gb SSD/750m 15 inch at Best Buy since they're clearing them out for $2350 and I had the student discount coupon and 10% movers coupon. I figured for $2025 plus tax, I'd rather have that version than the new one since Id be saving over $500.

Get there, tell the guy what I want and he begins to ring me up. We start chatting about random things, and for some reason, the sale price of $2349 isn't ringing up so he calls over a manager and overrides it to that price. I then give him the coupons and they took them without problem. I had a $50 rewards certificate so I walked out of there for $2113.xx after taxes plus $200 coming back in rewards points so a net cost of about $1900.

I get home and check it out, its the 2.5ghz version that just came out. Guess thats why it wasn't ringing up at the sale price lol.

That's awesome, lucky you!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Their mistake is your gain. Not bad. Hope the guy who rung you up doesn't get in trouble, but then again the boss did push it through.

Rbk_3

The logic board and screen have both been replaced (on separate occasions) within that time, so here's hoping. Think it might be better to do phone or store?

You would be best off calling Apple Care Support rather and explain the situation than taking it into a store and talking to a "Genius"

jesalr

You would be best off calling Apple Care Support rather and explain the situation than taking it into a store and talking to a "Genius"

My phone support has run out, sadly. That said, last time I had it fixed, they called me for free, maybe I can get that done again.

It'll have to be over phone anyway, because no London store seems to have any genius slots. I think their reservation system might be broken.

My phone support has run out, sadly. That said, last time I had it fixed, they called me for free, maybe I can get that done again.

I thought the phone support was for things like "how do I use iPhoto?"; talking about things covered by the warranty doesn't count as 'phone support'. Maybe it does in the UK where Apple doesn't like your consumer protection laws.

Fuchsdh

I thought the phone support was for things like "how do I use iPhoto?"; talking about things covered by the warranty doesn't count as 'phone support'. Maybe it does in the UK where Apple doesn't like your consumer protection laws.

Wait wait the UK has worse consumer protection than the US?

So I've noticed something weird on my rMBP recently. Sometimes it doesnt go to sleep when I turn the lid off. A few times this week when I closed the lid for the night, I wake up in the morning and see the battery has been completely drained.

I use the Caffeine app to keep the mac from sleeping while using it but I usually turn it off when I'm done for the night. Regardless, it should still go to sleep even with it on.

Any ideas?

VPhys

Upgrading my retina mbp. Giving my current one to my wife. I currently have a 13" end of 2012 retina MBP. I love the portability of the 13" model but really like the fact that the 15" model has a real GPU. Does anyone have the 15" model? Do you find it bulky? Kinda heavy?

Yes, but the screen is glorious and the resolutions are more "usable."

Still, I use the 13" for budgetary and size reasons.

The default, retina resolution on the 13" doesn't leave much screen real estate, the the scaled resolutions result in a huge performance hit. The performance hit was at least the case on the base 13" 4GB ram model. Luckily I was able to return that model for the recently released 2014 model but I have yet to test performance at scaled resolutions on this one.

Number45

So I've noticed something weird on my rMBP recently. Sometimes it doesnt go to sleep when I turn the lid off. A few times this week when I closed the lid for the night, I wake up in the morning and see the battery has been completely drained.

I use the Caffeine app to keep the mac from sleeping while using it but I usually turn it off when I'm done for the night. Regardless, it should still go to sleep even with it on.

Any ideas?
Do you have power nap enabled in energy saver?

Wait wait the UK has worse consumer protection than the US?

No, it had better laws; I mean Apple may be only extending its warranty coverage the absolute minimum to meet the requirements.

In the year of warranty you get in North America, you can call Apple (or they you, love that option) outside the 90-day phone support. If it is about hardware, it is part of the warranty not the expired phone-support. There are a bunch if disclaimers that you might be charged if it isn't a hardware issue, but whatever.

Hypron

Hey guys. I have a 2011 Mac Book pro that's starting to show its age (especially when running Windows). I want to replace the hard drive by a 256GB SSD, which should hopefully give the computer a second life.

I looked at reviews online and at available SSDs and I can get a Crucial MX100 for ~NZ$170 or a Samsung 840 EVO for ~NZ$200. Either price would be fine really (I can't spend more though). I saw that the 840 EVO is quite a bit faster than the Crucial MX100. However, I came across a thread on the apple website while googling where people seem to be having issues with the 840 EVO (it seems to go slower when using multiple partitions). I absolutely need to use windows on my mac so going for a single partition isn't an option.

Has anyone here got some experience with an 840 EVO on a macbook pro when using bootcamp? Is everything working fine for you? Cheers.

I'd have to spend an extra $30 for something that won't work well haha.

kennah

Hey guys. I have a 2011 Mac Book pro that's starting to show its age (especially when running Windows). I want to replace the hard drive by a 256GB SSD, which should hopefully give the computer a second life.

I looked at reviews online and at available SSDs and I can get a Crucial MX100 for ~NZ$170 or a Samsung 840 EVO for ~NZ$200. Either price would be fine really (I can't spend more though). I saw that the 840 EVO is quite a bit faster than the Crucial MX100. However, I came across a thread on the apple website while googling where people seem to be having issues with the 840 EVO (it seems to go slower when using multiple partitions). I absolutely need to use windows on my mac so going for a single partition isn't an option.

Has anyone here got some experience with an 840 EVO on a macbook pro when using bootcamp? Is everything working fine for you? Cheers.

I'd have to spend an extra $30 for something that won't work well haha.
Get the mx100. It's newer.

Also how much ram do you have? Put in the max your computer will handle.

Hypron

Get the mx100. It's newer.

Also how much ram do you have? Put in the max your computer will handle.

Good point, it's almost a year more recent.

I've only got 4 GB of ram. I was planning on going to 8 GB at some point, but I'd need to replace the ram already in my computer which would set me back another $100 (which I can't really afford right now). I was thinking that getting an SSD first would make a bigger difference. I'll be able to upgrade the ram this summer when I get a job.

Fuchsdh

Good point, it's almost a year more recent.

I've only got 4 GB of ram. I was planning on going to 8 GB at some point, but I'd need to replace the ram already in my computer which would set me back another $100 (which I can't really afford right now). I was thinking that getting an SSD first would make a bigger difference. I'll be able to upgrade the ram this summer when I get a job.

I'd say the SSD would make a more dramatic difference than the RAM, so yeah, prioritize that.

Willectro

Banned
I have an early 2011 13" MBP. It had not been shut down/restarted for a while, and when it finally was the hard drive had seemingly died - I was stuck for hours loading OS X (White screen, apple logo, spinning circle thing). I removed the drive, formatted a new drive with disk utility and reinstalled OS X. I get the same behavior. I've tried disk repair, but it returns no errors. I have installed OS X on an external HD and it works perfectly when booted for the external. I've tried lots of different solutions, even tried /sbin/fsck -fy.

I've read a few places that the hard drive cables can cause weird issues and should be replaced. Anyone heard of this? My warranty just ran out June 4, 2014 (of course) so I'm trying to avoid the Apple Store... and if it's the logic board it's likely not worth repairing.

Deku Tree

I have an early 2011 13" MBP. It had not been shut down/restarted for a while, and when it finally was the hard drive had seemingly died - I was stuck for hours loading OS X (White screen, apple logo, spinning circle thing). I removed the drive, formatted a new drive with disk utility and reinstalled OS X. I get the same behavior. I've tried disk repair, but it returns no errors. I have installed OS X on an external HD and it works perfectly when booted for the external. I've tried lots of different solutions, even tried /sbin/fsck -fy.

I've read a few places that the hard drive cables can cause weird issues and should be replaced. Anyone heard of this? My warranty just ran out June 4, 2014 (of course) so I'm trying to avoid the Apple Store... and if it's the logic board it's likely not worth repairing.

If you complain Apple might give you warranty service since it just ran out. In any case does the 2011 model have an easily accessible HDD?

Willectro

Banned
If you complain Apple might give you warranty service since it just ran out. In any case does the 2011 model have an easily accessible HDD?

I never seem to have luck with Apple's discretionary support. They hate my face or something, lol.

I thought the hdd was easily accessible - take the bottom of the case off and 2 screws inside, remove cable and it's free.

Deku Tree

As I said in the first post, I removed the hdd, put in a new one, formatted, installed OS X, same issue.

Either you know enough to open it up yourself or you don't. It sounds like maybe you don't and shouldn't

You can find a local or mail order repair place or you can take it to Apple. Apple will either repair it for free or give you an estimate at the Apple store or mail it off to their repair place and give you an estimate before they fix it. I am not sure but I think OWC does repairs (in the link in my previous post.)

Willectro

Banned
Either you know enough to open it up yourself or you don't. It sounds like maybe you don't and shouldn't

You can find a local or mail order repair place or you can take it to Apple. Apple will either repair it for free or give you an estimate at the Apple store or mail it off to their repair place and give you an estimate before they fix it. I am not sure but I think OWC does repairs (in the link in my previous post.)

Can you even read? Seriously though, did you even read what I posted?

Deku Tree

But you didn't even read my initial post, so your help wasn't really accurate. At best you read the first line.

I read the whole thing twice, but your writing is unclear as to exactly what you did. Let's just drop it.

To me, it sounds like you have reached the end of what you can fix on your own. But I don't know you so I can't be sure.

Willectro

Banned
I read the whole thing twice, but your writing is unclear as to exactly what you did. Let's just drop it.

To me, it sounds like you have reached the end of what you can fix on your own. But I don't know you so I can't be sure.

I was actually asking, if you read my initial post, about the hard drive cable. I was hoping someone had some experience with that aspect. I don't know how you have come to the conclusion that I am incapable of replacing that part.

Your help has been not unlike the mountains of awful, half-assed advice on the Apple Support forums, so I decided to post on GAF and possibly get an intellectual response from someone who had been in the same situation before. Thanks for your "help", but no thanks.

Deku Tree

I was actually asking, if you read my initial post, about the hard drive cable. I was hoping someone had some experience with that aspect. I don't know how you have come to the conclusion that I am incapable of replacing that part.

Your help has been not unlike the mountains of awful, half-assed advice on the Apple Support forums, so I decided to post on GAF and possibly get an intellectual response from someone who had been in the same situation before. Thanks for your "help", but no thanks.

If you regularly post like that I can understand why you are getting a lot of bad advice online. It could be the cable or it could be many other things.

Replacing part after part after asking for advice on forums from people who may or May not have had a similar problem is a good way to not fix your computer IMO.

Willectro

Banned
If you regularly post like that I can understand why you are getting a lot of bad advice online. It could be the cable or it could be many other things.

Replacing part after part after asking for advice on forums from people who may or May not have had a similar problem is a good way to not fix your computer IMO.

You're a real piece of work, dude. I'm out. Thanks.

Top Bottom