• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

Number45

There are high quality wireless Razer, Logitech and Steelseries mice if you don't mind paying a bit more.
As I'll be dropping the best part of £2k at the time I can lose the price of a good mouse no problem. I love the trackpad on my MBA but I know others in my family (OK, just my wife) will struggle to leave a mouse behind - there are also times when I think I prefer a mouse to a trackpad... though they would be solved much more fully if I were to pick up a Wacom (or similar) tablet.

Maybe I'll just order the trackpad to start with and decide about an alternative later on.

Fuchsdh

Probably because ergonomics were completely sacrificed for looking cool. Ergonomically, it's probably one of the worst mice I've ever had the mispleasure of using. Not to mention the sensor is shit for such an expensive mouse. I'd buy the Logitech Anywhere MX any day over spending 70 bucks on a piece of turd like the magic mouse.

Eh, if the ergonomics were that bad I'd be crippled now, considering I use one for basically ten hours of my day 6 days a week :) Also the Logitech doesn't have multitouch, so to say it's overpriced compared to a completely incomparable piece of hardware is a bit off.

fireside

As I'll be dropping the best part of £2k at the time I can lose the price of a good mouse no problem. I love the trackpad on my MBA but I know others in my family (OK, just my wife) will struggle to leave a mouse behind - there are also times when I think I prefer a mouse to a trackpad... though they would be solved much more fully if I were to pick up a Wacom (or similar) tablet.

Maybe I'll just order the trackpad to start with and decide about an alternative later on.

i ordered the trackpad with the computer because everyone recommends it and bought the magic mouse at an apple store so i could try it and potentially return it because everyone says it's a piece of crap. the trackpad is now collecting dust in a closet

Number45

i ordered the trackpad with the computer because everyone recommends it and bought the magic mouse at an apple store so i could try it and potentially return it because everyone says it's a piece of crap. the trackpad is now collecting dust in a closet
I know I'll like the trackpad, maybe I should just pop into my local store and check out the gestures with the magic mouse.

So I'm thinking a trackpad with a fusion drive. Any other suggestions? Also, people who have picked up one of the newer models, what has your experience with them been like? Fully satisfied? Also, what size did you go with?

The thing about the Fusion Drive is I worry about the HDD being a point of failure, and the fact that we're about a year out from 1TB SSDs being at sensible prices and the Fusion Drive no longer making sense.

Chris R

Those leaked rMBP specs make me sad. No reason the rMBPs shouldn't be on Maxwell dGPUs by now.

But if the price is right I still might jump, my old MBA needs to be taken behind the shed.

Deku Tree

The thing about the Fusion Drive is I worry about the HDD being a point of failure, and the fact that we're about a year out from 1TB SSDs being at sensible prices and the Fusion Drive no longer making sense.

We'll you gotta have a backup either way. And the fact that the fusion technology reduces dramatically the reads/writes to the HDD in comparison to the SSD means the HDD has the potential to last longer.

Rbk_3

Sounds like there may be a MacBook Pro refresh tomorrow. I have my 3rd coming in (The others had the yellow screen issue.)

Might as well just ship it right back if this rumor is true.

Water

What's your complaint with the magic mouse? Sure you can get decent mice for cheap these days but you can say that about essentially any piece of electronics. To me not having the multitouch slows me down dramatically.
Basically, Apple mice are to real mice what virtual controls on a little touchscreen are to a real arcade stick. If the touch gestures glued on top make the device worth it overall to you, great. I'm not interested in gestures so all I see is a hilariously bad mouse.

No buttons. No tactile feedback. Can't press multiple "buttons" at the same time or in quick succession. Can't even naturally do a long drag where you pick up and reposition the mouse while dragging. Useless for games, terrible for any productivity software where right- and middle-click and dragging are important, feels awful to me even in miscellaneous desktop use. No other mouse I have seen on the market has ergonomics as bad as this. Like Junior Mint says, the performance / sensors of Apple mice are also way substandard - appropriate for a $20 mouse, maybe.

Regarding price, I have no problem paying $70 for a mouse (paid twice that for a trackball, actually) but also no problem using a cheap mouse for most purposes. Apple mice I wouldn't use or recommend even if they were free. Their absurd price is just the punchline on the joke that the device is.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Basically, Apple mice are to real mice what virtual controls on a little touchscreen are to a real arcade stick. If the touch gestures glued on top make the device worth it overall to you, great. I'm not interested in gestures so all I see is a hilariously bad mouse.

No buttons. No tactile feedback. Can't press multiple "buttons" at the same time or in quick succession. Can't even naturally do a long drag where you pick up and reposition the mouse while dragging. Useless for games, terrible for any productivity software where right- and middle-click and dragging are important, feels awful to me even in miscellaneous desktop use. No other mouse I have seen on the market has ergonomics as bad as this. Like Junior Mint says, the performance / sensors of Apple mice are also way substandard - appropriate for a $20 mouse, maybe.

Regarding price, I have no problem paying $70 for a mouse (paid twice that for a trackball, actually) but also no problem using a cheap mouse for most purposes. Apple mice I wouldn't use or recommend even if they were free. Their absurd price is just the punchline on the joke that the device is.

Yep, they are instantly useless for any kind of 3D work.

Speaking of trackballs, do you have any ways of keeping the ball bearings inside from gumming up over time?

Draper

This is what I'm ultimately considering. Any thoughts?
25X.png

Fuchsdh

Those leaked rMBP specs make me sad. No reason the rMBPs shouldn't be on Maxwell dGPUs by now.

But if the price is right I still might jump, my old MBA needs to be taken behind the shed.

Yeah it's odd to me just because that's really the only thing the rMBP's are lacking. Sure the low end would be stuck on Broadwell but you could still bump the high end.

I'm hoping against all hope that they actually update the mini. The poor bastard should either be discontinued or updated... even if they were waiting for Broadwell they really shouldn't have a two year old computer out there.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Wow, even the iMacs went all solid state.

Yikes, adding an additional 200 on an already very pricey item.

Hmmmm.

I was wrong. You can upgrade your iMac after buying it. So $200 for 16gb from Apple, or $150 for 16gb from Crucial or other retailer.

Or just go 8gb and upgrade later when you feel the need.

wow, if only Retina MBP's had that freedom

You'll want to max the RAM to 16GB as it's extremely difficult to upgrade yourself. It will add years to the computer's lifespan.

Unless I'm mistaken, there is an access door in the back of the iMac that opens right to the RAM slots. So it would actually be incredibly easy to upgrade RAM.

Guide

Rbk_3

So I have a 15" Macbook Pro scheduled for arrival tomorrow.

If they do come out with the refresh tomorrow, do you think I can call Apple and get some sort of discount? Possibly for what the 15" early 2013 refers are going for now? (They are currently the previous model, which the one I am getting tomorrow would be)

Otherwise, I would just return it for the refresh version, since it has double the Ram and a processor boost for free.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The store is now back up. The speed bumps have arrived.

The model I have has gotten 0.2GHz more speed for $100 less. But that's it for my model.

What model did you get, Rbk? Personally the bumps are so minute I wouldn't bother going to the trouble, unless you have a store nearby and just take it in unopened and explain the situation. Cant guarantee that they'll have the one you want to replace it with.

Deku Tree

So I have a 15" Macbook Pro scheduled for arrival tomorrow.

If they do come out with the refresh tomorrow, do you think I can call Apple and get some sort of discount? Possibly for what the 15" early 2013 refers are going for now? (They are currently the previous model, which the one I am getting tomorrow would be)

Otherwise, I would just return it for the refresh version, since it has double the Ram and a processor boost for free.

You can return it unopened within two weeks. Then you can buy or order a new one.

X-Frame

Can someone ELI5 on the difference if I were to get the max 15" rMBP today versus this Broadwell refresh that seems will come next spring or summer?

Outside of differences in the connections that I assume we can't really predict, the screen will likely stay the same, same 16 GB RAM, maybe higher SSD storage requirements.

Otherwise, it would just be more powerful for CPU intensive tasks? How much more powerful would you say? Just weighing my options. Thanks!

Quick question: I have a late 2013 15" retina MacBook Pro. Currently I have it hooked up to a 1080p monitor. I'm looking to upgrade to a 27" 2560x1440 monitor and have been trying to catch up on cable requirements.

I'd really like to avoid having to buy a Thunderbolt to dual link DVI cable, due to the ridiculous price (99 dollars on Apple store, 70 dollars on monoprice) and it would take up another USB port.

So I was trying to see if HDMI would be possible. The monitor I'm looking at (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2) supports HDMI 1.4 allowing for higher resolutions, but I was concerned about the Macbook Pro connection. On the spec page, http://support.apple.com/kb/SP690, it lists the following under HDMI video output:

• Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
  • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
  • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

It makes no mention of the Hz that 1440 would run at and I just want to make sure I'd be able to get 60Hz. Is anyone using a 1440 monitor with a 2013 Macbook Pro connected through HDMI? If so, have you had any issues?

Deku Tree

Quick question: I have a late 2013 15" retina MacBook Pro. Currently I have it hooked up to a 1080p monitor. I'm looking to upgrade to a 27" 2560x1440 monitor and have been trying to catch up on cable requirements.

I'd really like to avoid having to buy a Thunderbolt to dual link DVI cable, due to the ridiculous price (99 dollars on Apple store, 70 dollars on monoprice) and it would take up another USB port.

So I was trying to see if HDMI would be possible. The monitor I'm looking at (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2) supports HDMI 1.4 allowing for higher resolutions, but I was concerned about the Macbook Pro connection. On the spec page, http://support.apple.com/kb/SP690, it lists the following under HDMI video output:

• Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
  • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
  • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

It makes no mention of the Hz that 1440 would run at and I just want to make sure I'd be able to get 60Hz. Is anyone using a 1440 monitor with a 2013 Macbook Pro connected through HDMI? If so, have you had any issues?

StarTech MDP2DPMM6 6 ft. Black Connector A: 1 - Mini-DisplayPort (20 pin) Male Connector B: 1 - DisplayPort (20 pin) Male DisplayPort Adapter Cable M-M

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00602&ef_id=U62yKgAAAGLyJhVf:20140729172857:s

HDMI is not worth it IMO.

StarTech MDP2DPMM6 6 ft. Black Connector A: 1 - Mini-DisplayPort (20 pin) Male Connector B: 1 - DisplayPort (20 pin) Male DisplayPort Adapter Cable M-M

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00602&ef_id=U62yKgAAAGLyJhVf:20140729172857:s

HDMI is not worth it IMO.

Thanks! I've been looking at monitors and cables all day and completely spaced out that the linked monitor supported DisplayPort; I'll definitely go that route. That's a bit of a relief, since I saw quite a few forum posts of people having issues with higher resolution displays connected with HDMI, even if they were technically supposed to support 1.4 standards.

jts

...hate me...
Has it been hinted or otherwise leaked that the Mini will go through a form factor change?

I guess it can get slimmer (it was designed with an optical drive in mind and now has enough room for 2 2.5" HDDs inside), but if it doesn't I can't see it getting it's RAM soldered etc in a simple spec bump.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Come on, new mini! Delay it any longer and it won't be "mid-2014" anymore. Hopefully it'll be within the next few weeks. Especially since that MBP update was out of left field.

I just want to see what it offers so I can decide whether to A) buy a new mini, B) buy a SSD for the 2010 one I have or C) possibly just get a second model iMac (Not the low-end of course) to use as the server and a Roku or AppleTV (If they ever put an App Store on it) for media on my TV. (Though a properly configured iMac would end up being thrice the price so option C is probably not gonna happen.)

I'm wishing for a complete overhaul. Flash storage at the base line. Slim redesign. 16GB option. Though I guess it would be better if it just supports the same RAM as the 2010 model so I can just transfer the 8GB I have to it since I'm betting it'll be 4GB at the base again.

Deku Tree

I'm guessing it will be a spec bump mini upgrade, which would mean it kept the same upgradable RAM. Redesign would make it worthy of an event, which isn't happening in mid 2014.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I can sooooo see the mini losing the IR receiver in a redesign. Which would all kinds of suck.
These days, all the smart media programs use WiFi/BlueTooth anyway. Even the Roku is WiFi now. IR is so outdated. I wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared too. Maybe they'd release a newer remote that uses WiFi or BlueTooth too.

jts

...hate me...
These days, all the smart media programs use WiFi/BlueTooth anyway. Even the Roku is WiFi now. IR is so outdated. I wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared too. Maybe they'd release a newer remote that uses WiFi or BlueTooth too.
Yeah, Apple will likely release an updated Apple Remote (maybe with ATV3?), since they have been slashing the IR receivers from their products.

IR has its merits, but most of all it's widespread and standardised. AV receivers and TV all work with it. Bluetooth and wifi can be better and smarter but the implementation is all over the place. Someone should tackle this.

Fuchsdh

I'm guessing it will be a spec bump mini upgrade, which would mean it kept the same upgradable RAM. Redesign would make it worthy of an event, which isn't happening in mid 2014.

This is my thought as well, which to me is fine. Haswell will do wonders for the device given the iGPU boost.

Besides I think the size is fine given that I prefer the upgrade options to RAM and storage. And given that the dual drive space is part of the major appeal of them as servers I don't want to lose that space.

jesalr

I'm having GPU issues with my 2012 rMBP. I get crazy artefacting, overheating, stuttering on simple pages, and so on.

I've already had this machine fixed 4 times, as recently as 5 months ago. Is there any way I can get them to do something other than take this away to fix, like a refund or new machine? It's becoming a major issue, and I have to stop all work when my machine is away. I wouldn't have had an issue if this was a rarely occurring issue, but it's the 5th time in 2 years.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, Apple will likely release an updated Apple Remote (maybe with ATV3?), since they have been slashing the IR receivers from their products.

IR has its merits, but most of all it's widespread and standardised. AV receivers and TV all work with it. Bluetooth and wifi can be better and smarter but the implementation is all over the place. Someone should tackle this.
The market is changing though as every single set top box, including consoles, is trying to become the "one machine" you have and use. So the need for universal remotes has mostly been replaced with "plug this single box into your TV and it gives you all you need".

Everything these days, including TVs themselves, has an app store (Except AppleTV) and the ability to play all of the most used video streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Plex and all those other nameless services nobody uses like Crackle et al. So I can't see Apple wanting to really keep IR around when they can just put out a new remote that has BT or WiFi and already have an app for iOS that can do the same thing as the old IR remote does. It'll save them a few bucks per machine by removing it. It'll most definitely not survive a redesign, if it even survives a mild speed bump.

I for one am really eager to see what the 2014 mini is. I haven't been this anxious for a mini since I broke down and bought my 2010 model 2 months before the 2011 came out. (I really should have waited since the 2011 model did add some much better specs, but I needed one soon and Apple always seems to be unpredictable on mini releases.) I was an owner of the original 2005 1.25GHz PPC mini. I loved that thing as it was my main machine at the time. Back then it cost $500 for the low-end.

jesalr

I'm having GPU issues with my 2012 rMBP. I get crazy artefacting, overheating, stuttering on simple pages, and so on.

I've already had this machine fixed 4 times, as recently as 5 months ago. Is there any way I can get them to do something other than take this away to fix, like a refund or new machine? It's becoming a major issue, and I have to stop all work when my machine is away. I wouldn't have had an issue if this was a rarely occurring issue, but it's the 5th time in 2 years.

Oh, and I'm still under warranty

I remember reading that if you've had 3 repairs in 2 years you were eligible to have a case made to get your device replaced, but I think by repairs you need 1-2 high-level repairs (logic board or screen replacement). I would certainly bring it up - nicely - when you take it in. But it really helps if you can show the bad problems (artifacting/overheat).

FAKE EDIT: Ah, here's a guy who succeeded at it in 2012.

In general, though, they will follow every step in the book before replacing with newer hardware. If they determine you should get a replacement, you better believe step 1 will be looking to see if they have similar/better 2012 hardware in the back.

jesalr

I remember reading that if you've had 3 repairs in 2 years you were eligible to have a case made to get your device replaced, but I think by repairs you need 1-2 high-level repairs (logic board or screen replacement). I would certainly bring it up - nicely - when you take it in. But it really helps if you can show the bad problems (artifacting/overheat).

FAKE EDIT: Ah, here's a guy who succeeded at it in 2012.

In general, though, they will follow every step in the book before replacing with newer hardware. If they determine you should get a replacement, you better believe step 1 will be looking to see if they have similar/better 2012 hardware in the back.

The logic board and screen have both been replaced (on separate occasions) within that time, so here's hoping. Think it might be better to do phone or store?

The logic board and screen have both been replaced (on separate occasions) within that time, so here's hoping. Think it might be better to do phone or store?

In my experience, store is best. If you call, you're dealing with somebody who has the huge inventory of Apple itself and might not have a manager in easy contact range. In store, stock is limited and they have immediate pressure to help you so they can move on to the next appointment.

Top Bottom