• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

mrkgoo

Anyone tried Yosemite on a MacBook? I know the last model in 2010 can run it but I wonder how tough its gonna be. Looked at some threads and some people say its fine while others don't.

As with any such release, your mileage may vary.

It really depends on specific machine configurations and on top of that, user satisfaction can be very variable as performance can be subjective thing. What one user deems as "useable" can wildly differ.

And then you have people who just have other software issues such as third party extensions that may or may not play well with updates. And older machines obviously will accumulate more software cruft.

Then you have people who simple have hardware issues and updates bring them to light.

To be totally honest, the only one true way of really ever knowing is to to try it yourself. Please make backups before updating your software.

Fuchsdh

Anyone tried Yosemite on a MacBook? I know the last model in 2010 can run it but I wonder how tough its gonna be. Looked at some threads and some people say its fine while others don't.

If you're going to upgrade, my only advice is do a clean install and go in fresh. It's hard to tell what might be slowing you down that's just accumulated cruft rather than the OS itself.

RustyO

format any usb 3.0 drive in disk utility, its dead simple.

That's as complicated as it gets. Disk Utility is all you need to use to format the drive with the filesystem you prefer.

"Mac" harddrives are always more expensive...it's rather insulting how they are always more expensive. Though I guess there could be people out there who don't want to use Disk Utility.

Thanks for the replies, most appreciated. Will grab one in the near future, probably a WD 2TB...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, don't fall for the "Mac Hard Drive" scam. Any hard drive will work. The only differences are A) usually a white or silver case instead of black or otherwise different design, and B) a much higher price for the same exact product. Companies do this because they know they can get away with it from ignorant unsuspecting Mac users who think we're still stuck in pre-1997 Apple. It's just alarmist. Like someone who doesn't realize will see that "Mac" moniker and think "Well, I must need that one since it is made specifically for my computer." Shit should be illegal.

RustyO

Thanks for the advice previously, most apprecaited. Seems like it was all fairly painless, and now have a 3TB Western Digital in Mac format.

adroit

If I buy a MacBook Pro (15" 512 GB) out of a local store's stock tomorrow, will it have Yosemite or Mavericks on it? I'm guessing probably Mavericks. Anyone know or have a guess?

I was leaning towards a 5K iMac but I've decided I want something I can grab and run with since we live on the top floor of an apartment building and you never know when some idiot is going to set the place on fire.

I looked at a 15" MacBook yesterday and even though I wish it had a 17" screen, that 15" retina display is frigging gorgeous. I'm using an old-school, blur-o-vision Lo-DPI 17" LCD right now and the MacBook 15" is so much better even though it has 2" less real estate.

mrkgoo

If I buy a MacBook Pro (15" 512 GB) out of a local store's stock tomorrow, will it have Yosemite or Mavericks on it? I'm guessing probably Mavericks. Anyone know or have a guess?

I was leaning towards a 5K iMac but I've decided I want something I can grab and run with since we live on the top floor of an apartment building and you never know when some idiot is going to set the place on fire.

I looked at a 15" MacBook yesterday and even though I wish it had a 17" screen, that 15" retina display is frigging gorgeous. I'm using an old-school, blur-o-vision Lo-DPI 17" LCD right now and the MacBook 15" is so much better even though it has 2" less real estate.

I would say it can be either, depending on that store;s stock.

What do you actually want? I mean Yosemite is good, and it's a click away to upgrade.

adroit

What do you actually want? I mean Yosemite is good, and it's a click away to upgrade.
I could live with either. I was thinking if it were Mavericks I might use it for a while and wait for Yosemite to stabilize.

Mostly I have "impending $2500 purchase" jitters.

Husker86

I could live with either. I was thinking if it were Mavericks I might use it for a while and wait for Yosemite to stabilize.

Mostly I have "impending $2500 purchase" jitters.

I just got mine last weekend, it had a build date of mid October and had Mavericks.

Also, Amazon has them for $2,375.

This thing is amazing.

coopolon

I tried a surface pro 3 and it just doesn't work for me. So I am returning it and want to get a MacBook pro with retina $1300 version. Anyone know of a Black Friday deal that beats the $100 education discount? I have looked and haven't found any but wanted to double check beforehand buying one at the Apple Store later today.

I guess the other question is is the newer 2014 version worth the extra $200 over a refurb 2013 version?

adroit

Bought the MacBook Pro today!

First the nits (just read the first sentence of each if you aren't interested in the details):

1. No explanation in the "Hello" quick-start guide how to connect the extension cord to the power brick (I'm a Mac n00b so I don't know these things). I figured out how to pull the plug module off the brick so I could connect the extension cord. After the fact (on the web) I read that I was supposed to connect the extension to the brick before plugging the extension into the wall. Ooops. If that's important, it seems like they should have mentioned it in the "Hello" booklet. I wonder how many people just leave the extension plugged into the wall without bothering to unplug it before connecting it to the power brick.

2. The WiFi login during the setup process is brain-dead. I clicked on our network to get a password prompt and then a few seconds later the list refreshes and the password prompt disappears. What the heck? I worked around this problem by clicking the button which opened a separate dialog for manually entering the network name (and password). But while I was typing the password, the list continued to refresh in the background, playing a "boop" sound through the speakers ever time it refreshed. What kind of brain-dead user interface is this? Did a human factors person review this?

OK, that's it for the nits. Once I got past the setup, I was in "mega ecstasy bliss" mode (Red Dwarf reference). This is a very nice computer. Anyone who owns one knows that already.

I did some Googling and it appears that Safari does not support multiple profiles. I need multiple simultaneously-useable browser profiles (separate browser processes running simultaneously with different profiles) so I guess I'm going to have to install Firefox. I know Safari is very power efficient (from what I've read) so I'll probably use Safari for my general surfing and just use Firefox for my custom profile needs.

I also have to install Java. Yes, I gotta have it. I hope I can tell Safari not to use the Java plugin (or perhaps it doesn't support it at all...which would be a plus). The Java browser plugin is a security nightmare and always will be. I wish Oracle would just remove the ****ing browser plugin from the Java distro. It's an abomination.

TL;DR: Woooo, what a great laptop!

mackaveli

Is there a free app to monitor my wifi network to see how many devices are connected to it so I can see if anyone I don't want is actually connected to it or not?

I do have a password in my router etc but just want to make sure etc.

Thanks.

TUSR

Banned
Is there a free app to monitor my wifi network to see how many devices are connected to it so I can see if anyone I don't want is actually connected to it or not?

I do have a password in my router etc but just want to make sure etc.

Thanks.

What router are you using? Mine has a device manager built into it.

TUSR

Banned
Some Cisco one I think provided by shaw cable company in canada. I'm not tech savy so maybe there is but I have no idea how to access it.

I put the stock Shaw one into bridge mode and connected my own router through it. Ill take a look to see if there is any additional functionality with the stock one when I get home after work.

mackaveli

I put the stock Shaw one into bridge mode and connected my own router through it. Ill take a look to see if there is any additional functionality with the stock one when I get home after work.

i went into the router website and looked at my DHCP client table.

I see 3 devices connected with 3 different MAC addresses. One ties to my iMac, iPhone and iPad.

So I'm good with only 3 devices connected? Is this how I check who is connected to my network and what you do?

Thanks.

Man

Finally ordered the iMac 5K.
Sold my 2010 Air (my first and only ever Mac, excluding my 1984 Mac).

Specs: 4GHZ i7 CPU, 4GB GPU, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD.

.Net Windows technologies & web is my professional work but looking forward to hammer out some hobby apps in Swift with this baby.

Husker86

i went into the router website and looked at my DHCP client table.

I see 3 devices connected with 3 different MAC addresses. One ties to my iMac, iPhone and iPad.

So I'm good with only 3 devices connected? Is this how I check who is connected to my network and what you do?

Thanks.

Yeah, DHCP Client Table is how you see all devices connected through your router.

Wow, Base MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013 has very good resale value! I bought it on April for $1500, I sold it a few days ago for $1350 with scratches on the bottom!

I can't wait for 2015 Broadwell MacBook Pro. $2000 for a Iris Pro laptop is too expensive.

keezy

Is MacMall a reliable source to buy Macs at? Thinking about getting one during their black Friday sale.

Any experiences with them?

If not are there any other decent black Friday specials running?

Deku Tree

Is MacMall a reliable source to buy Macs at? Thinking about getting one during their black Friday sale.

Any experiences with them?

If not are there any other decent black Friday specials running?

They're fine. Any registered apple re-sale store is fine. Just buy apple care (even if you buy from apple). Then you have the best computer warranty I've ever seen for three years. :)

Deku Tree

You keep writing this and it's still not true :|

You keep saying that but I don't remember seeing evidence to the contrary. Other warranties might be cheaper but I don't remember seeing evidence of a warranty that was in reality better.

I had a hard-drive that crashed after 2.9 years on my MacBook pro was on the other side of the country. Walked into an Apple Store and dropped it off. A week later I got my laptop back in the mail all fixed and ready to go. Just fantastic.

Blackhead

Redarse
You keep saying that but I don't remember seeing evidence to the contrary. Other warranties might be cheaper but I don't remember seeing evidence of a warranty that was in reality better.

I had a hard-drive that crashed after 2.9 years on my MacBook pro was on the other side of the country. Walked into an Apple Store and dropped it off. A week later I got my laptop back in the mail all fixed and ready to go. Just fantastic.

And I've pointed out that Microsoft's warranty includes all that and accidental coverage. If you spill soda on your Macbook you'll be shit out of luck.

Deku Tree

And I've pointed out that Microsoft's warranty includes all that and accidental coverage. If you spill soda on your Macbook you'll be shit out of luck.

I guess. I've never wanted to own a MS computer so I don't have experience with their warranties. I can't say for sure for myself how good their warranty really is in practice and how strict they are about cheesing people with th fine print in their warranty. Too many companies are like that and Apple had never been like that in my experience. All I can do is speak from my own experience.

bionic77

B&H has the 5k retina for 2350. That comes with 3 years of apple care and no sales tax outside of New York.

That's the best deal I have seen on the system. I think I might jump on that.

Fuchsdh

Yeah there's some surprisingly good deals on Macs out there--time was when you rarely saw any budging from the normal prices.

Some places are selling the 6-core Mac Pros for $400 off too.

Rizific

hey mac gaf, its come time to replace the battery in my wifes 2010 13" mbp. i did a quick search on amazon and found some results, but wanted to ask if there is anything specific i should be looking for in a replacement battery.

TUSR

Banned
hey mac gaf, its come time to replace the battery in my wifes 2010 13" mbp. i did a quick search on amazon and found some results, but wanted to ask if there is anything specific i should be looking for in a replacement battery.

here

required tool list is there

TUSR

Banned
that cost a bit more than the batteries that im seeing on amazon. i dont have a problem spending that much, but would that one be significantly better than say something like this

I totally misinterpreted your question.

Apparently those batteries have just been sitting around, read some of the reviews.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Scheduled a Genius appointment for tomorrow to get my 2012 Macbook Pro looked at for the discrete GPU lockup after Yosemite.

I'll keep you guys posted if they find anything to fix.

Husker86

So after a few weeks with my 15" Macbook Pro Retina, I'm really, really liking it.

For reference, I had a Mid 2012 Macbook Air before this.

I wanted a bigger and more powerful computer as I am getting further in my development experience and working with the small screen/lower resolution of the Air wasn't cutting it.

I assumed I'd still be using my main PC (i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, SSD, Triple monitor) for most work, but since I was able to hook my triple monitors and keyboard/mouse to my Mac with no issues, I've found I'm just using the MBP as my main computer. With the power plugged in I can keep the lid closed and have it just run everything while being tucked away.

I am installing Windows 8 via Bootcamp now and this is the first time I didn't have to worry about giving 40GB of space to Windows (I got the 512GB SSD). I was thinking about doing Parallels of VMWare since I have 16GB of RAM, but I decided that if I was going to run Windows on my Mac, I want the best performance possible.

Anyway, nothing much to add, just wanted to say that I am still in the "Macs are the best laptops" camp!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this thing has better performance than my PC...wasn't expecting that, though the 2500k is getting old I suppose.

When do you all think the broadwell MBP will drop? Also do you guys think it will use DDR4?

13" or 15"? Also I don't think it's going to use DDR4 especially the 13", they will have the Broadwell "U" processors.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com...ary-2015-Fourteen-Notebook-Chips-460389-2.jpg

So if these come out as scheduled, you can probably expect the 13" ones to come out around late February at the earliest we'll say and maybe late April to early May at the latest. Unless Apple waits until the quad core processors come out as well which are scheduled for the summer.

And by the way, for those waiting for Skylake, you know Intel is coming with an inevitable delay.

Husker86

Anyone know what the story is with Broadwell Macbooks? Thinking of getting a Macbook Pro as a desktop replacement development machine but it seems like an iffy time to buy. Skywell is also launching in 2015.

Everything I've read said it's going to be mid 2015, at least for the 15". I was in the same mindset of waiting but just caved and got one. I don't regret it and I find myself booting up my PC (which I used for all development) a lot less. I'll probably sell it in two years for $1500+ and get whatever is out then.

I'm done playing the waiting game for tech.

Fuchsdh

Anyone else ever smash their fingers on a Mac Pro drive sled? Did it again tonight; fucking hell.

I haven't ever managed to pull out a sled without mashing my fingers in the process. My 5,1 is a lot less painful then the 3,1 and 2,1's at my office though; I dunno if with age they tend to get "stickier" or not.

Yoda

13" or 15"? Also I don't think it's going to use DDR4 especially the 13", they will have the Broadwell "U" processors.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com...ary-2015-Fourteen-Notebook-Chips-460389-2.jpg

So if these come out as scheduled, you can probably expect the 13" ones to come out around late February at the earliest we'll say and maybe late April to early May at the latest. Unless Apple waits until the quad core processors come out as well which are scheduled for the summer.

And by the way, for those waiting for Skylake, you know Intel is coming with an inevitable delay.

Went ahead and got a MBP 15". Waiting doesn't make sense as my current laptop (a chromebook booting into ubuntu) is widely insufficient for my needs. Did a bit of reading and it looks like most people are expecting the next major upgrade to come w/skylake anyway, which is probably not until 2016 for the 15" model at the minimum.

It'd still be holidayish time next year until they'd actually have the MBPs in production.\

Also why is no one else reporting up on this? Cancellation of part of a chipset should be major news. Is fool.com a trustworthy site?

Went ahead and got a MBP 15". Waiting doesn't make sense as my current laptop (a chromebook booting into ubuntu) is widely insufficient for my needs. Did a bit of reading and it looks like most people are expecting the next major upgrade to come w/skylake anyway, which is probably not until 2016 for the 15" model at the minimum.

It'd still be holidayish time next year until they'd actually have the MBPs in production.

Yeah, perhaps. Hm, maybe it'll be my Boxing Day splurge.

Fuchsdh

It'd still be holidayish time next year until they'd actually have the MBPs in production.\

Also why is no one else reporting up on this? Cancellation of part of a chipset should be major news. Is fool.com a trustworthy site?

Well, they're financial services reporting, so you take it with a grain of salt, but since it's based on leaked Intel slides like where we get all our other info from I'm going to assume it's genuine. Maybe it's not out there because tech reporters weren't paying attention to the Q7A, or are waiting for something more concrete (since this is mostly just guesswork?)

The Motley Fool is Yahoo's investment site, and one of the primary sources for news in the Apple Stocks app.

While this stinks for the 15" MBP, I guess I'm OK with this. The only 15" MBP that would have benefited majorly from Broadwell anyways was the one with the integrated graphics.

Might as well just update the model that everyone buys with the small Broadwell improvements.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I already have a 2013 rMBP so I won't need a new model for a few years. Hopefully things will be sorted out by then. Though by then I might not even go high-powered for my laptop and just get whatever incarnation of Air there is and go high-powered (Retina) for my next iMac replacement. By then I also plan on having a gaming PC so getting a Mac to play my games won't be as pressing of an issue. (I'll also be able to save a lot of money too.)

Pinewood

Late answer, but Im running Yosemite on a 2009 White Unibody Macbook (2,26GHz C2D, 4GB DDR3 Ram, stock 250 GB HDD)
It is usually quite ok, it stutters at times, but that seems to be an issue with the HDD speen and there being not enough Ram. With a SSD it would run much better I reckon.
Also I have shit loads of tabs open in Safari at all times.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there quality degradation if you use a resolution other than the best for retina one? Like the "1440x900" equivalent on the retina 13"?
Nah. Nothing you can even notice because the pixels are so small and it's already higher resolution. All you gain is better clarity. I run 1920x1200 HiDPI 4K on my 15". I can't go lower.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
My MBP's trackpad has started to interpret two-finger scrolls as back/forward in the browser and other places unless I scroll exactly vertically.

Have any of you experienced this and know what a solution to it is?

Top Bottom