• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

lupin23rd

Either that or try target mode. But that might not be available at all since you might not have mutual ports between the machines that would support target. Might as well just copy them to the time capsule. Do you not have a spare USB HDD lying around to do it faster? How much data do you think you'd even have to save? And why don't you already have it? When I get a new machine I always migrate my files over. I haven't lost a file since 2001. (The last time I had a HDD crash without having a backup.)

Actually hoping I've already copied over one of them when I upgraded, but the other two are my parents' and they haven't upgraded to anything yet, they've just gone kinda wacky and don't use them anymore. Thanks for the reminder about target mode, forgot about that, hopefully these aren't too old that I can't use that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Actually hoping I've already copied over one of them when I upgraded, but the other two are my parents' and they haven't upgraded to anything yet, they've just gone kinda wacky and don't use them anymore. Thanks for the reminder about target mode, forgot about that, hopefully these aren't too old that I can't use that.
The thing with Target Mode is you either need two FireWire (Which many new Macs don't have anymore) or two Thunderbolt. (Which only newer Macs have.) I think OS X can also do direct Ethernet. (Except many newer Macs don't even have that!)

How old are all the machines including your current one?

Basically, if they're all scattered over the past 8-10 years the chances of the older ones having anything mutually in common with your newest machine is low just because of how fast Apple dropped FireWire and how fast they switched to Thunderbolt and dropped Ethernet from certain machines. A USB HDD would be your best bet. Network drag and drop would be your next best if you don't have the right ports. Even a USB stick or SD card or something. Surely you have one of these lying around somewhere.

Ethernet is faster than USB2; if you don't have a gigabit switch, just plug the two Macs together via a single cable, the ports will sort it out (just make sure it is on automatic in the network settings) and Bonjour will present the file shares of each.

There will certainly be a refresh with the broad-well processors. Most likely Q1/2 2015 assuming they take a few months to actually get produced/announced after Intel releases the chip.

I'm guessing by March. I really hope the 15" gets updated as well, potentially with some weight/size cut off.

Yoda

Macbook Pro's probably won't get updated til late 2015 and they'll probably skip Broadwell entirely since Skylake is also coming next year. Intel really shit the bed with Broadwell.

My best guess would be early Summer if they opt to do Broadwell (it'd be super marginal and might not be worth it given how small a shelf life the sku would have). Knowing intel I doubt Skylake will actually be out in 2015, of course I'd love to be proven wrong here but they are very bad at predicting their hardware release schedule.

Deku Tree

Macbook Pro's probably won't get updated til late 2015 and they'll probably skip Broadwell entirely since Skylake is also coming next year. Intel really shit the bed with Broadwell.

My best guess would be early Summer if they opt to do Broadwell (it'd be super marginal and might not be worth it given how small a shelf life the sku would have). Knowing intel I doubt Skylake will actually be out in 2015, of course I'd love to be proven wrong here but they are very bad at predicting their hardware release schedule.

My question is what is the point for Intel of introducing both chipsets in the same year. Seems like they are creating competition with themselves. I know Broadwell has been delayed a lot. I guess Skylake could see similar delays.

Yup. That's my thought as well. It'll give them an opportunity to spread out the launch of the new MBP form factor to the Q3/Q4 quarter as well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, I dont trust SD or even USB sticks for anything other than floppy disk duties or random access. Constant access is just going to wear it out.

Maybe SD cards have gotten better but the seek times will sometimes be a killer. As much as I'd love to have a large SD card always sitting in my slot acting as storage for some files, it's just not there last I checked. That type of flash storage is very slow relative to an actual SSD chip.

TUSR

Banned
On my 64GB SDXC card, with a small iTunes library(~1500) only on the card, there was random access delay when changing songs in the general library. Playlists weren't much better.

jiiikoo

Banned
Hello everyone, new on this OT!

I just wanted to say that I've been really pleased with the base model rMBP 13''. Got it for myself for christmas and it's been great.

Nosgoroth

Hi there, Mac Hardware OT, Windows immigrant here. I just got my new rMBP 13 inch maxed-out minibeast (except the 1TB SSD, that's just crazy) yesterday and I have to say I'm very happy with the thing so far!

Fuchsdh

Hi there, Mac Hardware OT, Windows immigrant here. I just got my new rMBP 13 inch maxed-out minibeast (except the 1TB SSD, that's just crazy) yesterday and I have to say I'm very happy with the thing so far!

What I'm looking forward to most in 2015 (besides a Mac Pro refresh, please) is Apple dropping its prices on flash upgrades. It's a bit excessive, but probably until other PC manufacturers offer more PCIe storage options it's unlikely to change.

Yoda

My question is what is the point for Intel of introducing both chipsets in the same year. Seems like they are creating competition with themselves. I know Broadwell has been delayed a lot. I guess Skylake could see similar delays.

If Skylake comes out in 2015 it will be at the tail end and it will be a very very limited launch at that. Sadly this is a side-effect of having no competition in the consumer desktop/laptop CPU market.

I'm going to end up having to buy a Broadwell MBP and sell it when the Skylake version (with thunderbolt 3) comes out. The reason being is that I'm trying to start up my own business offering onset digital production services for independent filmmakers and I need thunderbolt, USB 3.0 and the fastest possible CPU/GPU combo to handle the footage.

Hopefully it doesn't lose too much resale value in the months (possibly year) in between revisions.

Yoda

I'm going to end up having to buy a Broadwell MBP and sell it when the Skylake version (with thunderbolt 3) comes out. The reason being is that I'm trying to start up my own business offering onset digital production services for independent filmmakers and I need thunderbolt, USB 3.0 and the fastest possible CPU/GPU combo to handle the footage.

Hopefully it doesn't lose too much resale value in the months (possibly year) in between revisions.

Even a few generation old Macbooks don't lose their value anywhere close to what a Windows Laptop would. Chances are you'd lose no more than 20% from the purchase price if you resold it yourself.

Fuchsdh

In a year? You won't lose much, although I think given the sealed nature of modern notebooks their resale value is going to drop a bit since you can't perform aftermarket upgrades without severe difficulty.

What happens overtime you put the laptop to sleep or shut down? Its just pops back up on desktop and continues working as it should?

Yup. You need to install the tool from Transcend and it automatically remounts the drive when you wake from sleep. I just leave it plugged in all the time.

Even a few generation old Macbooks don't lose their value anywhere close to what a Windows Laptop would. Chances are you'd lose no more than 20% from the purchase price if you resold it yourself.

In a year? You won't lose much, although I think given the sealed nature of modern notebooks their resale value is going to drop a bit since you can't perform aftermarket upgrades without severe difficulty.

I may stick with my current generation MBP (late 2011) then and primarily use it for data management and leave the intensive transcoding / rendering tasks for when the skylake MBP comes out.

Also, I've noticed Yosemite doesn't support a lot of 3rd party SSDs now due to a different approach to TRIM so I'm going to have to downgrade / do a clean install of Mavericks when I install one in my old MBP.

thenexus6

Yup. You need to install the tool from Transcend and it automatically remounts the drive when you wake from sleep. I just leave it plugged in all the time.

I went with the nifty instead, got one with a 64GB card coming. I wonder if there is a similar program for the nifty.

Fuchsdh

Also, I've noticed Yosemite doesn't support a lot of 3rd party SSDs now due to a different approach to TRIM so I'm going to have to downgrade / do a clean install of Mavericks when I install one in my old MBP.

The question is, of course, whether TRIM is even that important on modern SSDs. I've seen lots of invective hurled back and forth but no concrete evidence one way or another.

Blackhead

Redarse

That's very optimistic. Just try selling a new sealed MacBook yourself on CL and you'll only receive offers 15-20% below cost (price+tax). Flip a used one for new and you'll definitely lose more than 20% after all is accounted for. I'd budget for between 20-33% depending on local tax, likelihood of a simple revision or entire new model, time of flip (e.g. You get less during Apple's Summer back to school promotions, but more just before Christmas) etc Since you're using the computer for work it's probably worth it.

MacBooks lose their value like Windows Laptops but the main difference is there is always a demand for older generation used MacBooks but theure's little demand** for two/three or older generation used Windows Laptops i.e. MacBooks and PCs depreciate at the same ~15% rate pre year/generation but MacBooks buttom out at about 45-50% while Windows Laptops values enter into freefall at that point because it's extremely hard to find buyers.

**there's little demand for older generation Windows Laptops compared to older generation MacBooks because
(a) there's new budget Windows laptops available at every price point while Apple doesn't sell budget laptops
(b) Windows OEMs/retailers put older generation laptops on deep discount before discontinuing them while Apple never puts MacBooks on deep discount

Did anything ever come from the rumor that we might see black/white/gold MacBooks in the upcoming refresh?

Most likely coming to the new 12" MacBook Airs first, and then the MacBook Pros whenever they decide to refresh them (it may not be until late 2015 when Skylake hits).

Anyone else think about the idea that the 12" fanless MacBook Air and iPad Pro might be the same thing, and that it would therefore mean the switch from Intel to ARM-based processors and get kind of terrified?

I mean, with a higher frequency A8X or A9 processor, it's finally to the point where it could make sense for the MacBook Air, and then trickle up to the MacBook Pro. The pros of switching to in-house ARM-based designs are definitely there on the low-power "$1000 Facebook Machine!!" type laptops, if only to gain more control on their product launches, rather than being subjected to Intel delaying progress to ensure their bottom-line.

I suppose if the 12" MBA was switching to ARM, however, Apple wouldn't have had a reason to delay the model until 2015.

Aside from basic soft maintenance routines (various resets, clearing out space, permissions repairs and system volume checks etc), your general options are a reinstall of OS, or otherwise as you stated upgrade RAM and HD.

Never got a chance to say thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna end up buying an SSD tomorrow. Not sure which one though idk if it makes a difference. I know i certainly need a new one for more than just a bit of performance. I'm afraid this thing will conk out on me any moment.

I'm getting either the
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7TE500BW)

Or the Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT512MX100SSD1

Is there any preferred maintenance or care i should be doing with this new HDD or the computer since it will have this new HDD? Any other things i should get as well to prepare for it? Like format for the laptop. idk i'm a bit new with this

Yeah, I know about that one. Thanks anyway.

From what I understand it is a bit of an odd hack that can result in your machine not booting if the pram is reset. You'd have to go into the recovery mode and mess about with terminal commands to get it working again. In fact I believe that is what happened when people with SSDs upgraded to Yosemite, all without warning from Apple.

Given that the only machines that can be upgraded to use 3rd party SSDs are the older machines that are now coming out of warranty I do feel it is a bit of a slap in the face to prohibit their correct functioning.

Is a leas 256 not an option? If you have an external drive to hold everything else it should be fine. I like having 512GB. Gives me a lot of breathing room.

I can use an external hard drive, but I hope 128GB is enough to hold all the programs I need for work.

If not, what would be minimum amount of space needed, 256GB, 512GB?

Fuchsdh

What's a good storage size to hold programs for programming, Photoshop, video editing? Is 128GB large enough?

You're best off getting the largest size you can afford; due to how SSDs work a larger SSD will likely last longer and have better performance out of the box.

bionic77

What's a good storage size to hold programs for programming, Photoshop, video editing? Is 128GB large enough?
Thats enough for programs but not enough to photos or video. That would require an external as someone else said.

If you are going to work with photos and video I would say you probably need at least 512.

You're best off getting the largest size you can afford; due to how SSDs work a larger SSD will likely last longer and have better performance out of the box.

Thats enough for programs but not enough to photos or video. That would require an external as someone else said.

If you are going to work with photos and video I would say you probably need at least 512.

Gah, upgrading SSD storage is so costly. I was hoping to get by with either 128GB or 256GB storage options. I have until the next Macbook Air/Pro refresh to decide.

bionic77

Gah, upgrading SSD storage is so costly. I was hoping to get by with either 128GB or 256GB storage options. I have until the next Macbook Air/Pro refresh to decide.
It just depends what you are using it for.

I rarely work with photos so I get by on my Air with using a external. But it is slow as fuck on an external compared to the internal SSD. If that is a major part of your workflow get the biggest size within your budget. That's my 2 cents.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. So what's your budget and what model are you going for? I'd still suggest at least 256 as it'll be enough for most stuff. 128 will be fine for apps no problem and there'll be plenty of space left over. As long as it's not 64GB. That's the equivalent of an 8GB iPhone in today's market. Thankfully neither of them are even made anymore.

With SSD go as high as you can. Unless you can live with having an external HDD for anything else. What exactly do you do? How big are the files you create? And do you archive it all?

To answer the initial question, yes, 128 should be enough for those things. But we don't want you regretting anything in case you change your mind later.

Sweet, my 15" rMBP is on the way. Ended up getting the entry level model (2.2GHz i7, 256GB, Iris Pro), couldn't justify spending more than two grand right now and it'll be more than fine for my development work over the next few years. Hope I don't run into any of these Yosemite issues I've been reading about and seeing, though. Now I just need to sell off all of this PC gear...

thenexus6

My 13 retina arriving this afternoon. I've always wanted to upgrade to a MacBook air but after thinking and last year seeing one properly I considered changing my mind away from the Air.

Found a good deal on apple reburb store on 29th December and decided to pull the trigger. I am so happy I got the retina over the air. The retina screen looks good when you're browsing at the apple store but now I have it on my own desk I am literally blown away!

The machine is also extremely thin and light, not as much as the air but still pretty impressive. It's a gorgeous computer! I am transferring some files and have my 2010 pro next to me and its quite funny looking at both screens side by side.

Its also the first time i've bought something from the refurbished store, packaging was nice and theres not a mark on it. Very pleased, will get apple care just before the 12 month one runs out.

Should be picking up my SSD today. is there any last minute stuff i need to know. Like about TRIM since i'm using Yosemite. I'm thinking of either using my External drive back up or "Cloning" my HDD to the SDD but idk if that will result in any issues because of TRIM. I'm pretty lost. Gonna go with the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. idk if you guys have any other suggestions or methods to do

How do you keep a Macbook's battery healthy?

I usually plug in the laptop as often as I could.

I heard some user kept 85% of their Macbook's battery capacity in 4 years of usage.

mug

Should be picking up my SSD today. is there any last minute stuff i need to know. Like about TRIM since i'm using Yosemite. I'm thinking of either using my External drive back up or "Cloning" my HDD to the SDD but idk if that will result in any issues because of TRIM. I'm pretty lost. Gonna go with the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. idk if you guys have any other suggestions or methods to do
I've cloned an HDD to SSD without issue on Yosemite. The main issue is when you install and activate Trim Enabler app. It'll give you a warning stating that it modifies the startup process for the Mac - which isn't something Apple likes. There's more info on changing it back when you disable it, etc. I wouldn't worry too much - create a Time Machine backup just to be safe though.

I've cloned an HDD to SSD without issue on Yosemite. The main issue is when you install and activate Trim Enabler app. It'll give you a warning stating that it modifies the startup process for the Mac - which isn't something Apple likes. There's more info on changing it back when you disable it, etc. I wouldn't worry too much - create a Time Machine backup just to be safe though.

Thanks for the response. So is one necessary for it to work? What did you use to clone it? And i do have a back up HDD. backed it up two days ago

Fuchsdh

How do you keep a Macbook's battery healthy?

I usually plug in the laptop as often as I could.

I heard some user kept 85% of their Macbook's battery capacity in 4 years of usage.

Modern Macs get batteries that are expected to retain about 80% of their charge after a set number of cycles; with modern batteries, you don't have to do things like fully discharge batteries to condition them (although you may still want to do that occasionally to make sure you're getting proper readings.)

So if you don't heavily use your battery, it could last a very long time; modern Macbooks are rated for 1000 cycles.

Top Bottom